homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Is this, my enemy's enemy, my enemy too?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Is this, my enemy's enemy, my enemy too?
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So ... I'm an alfafa munching muslin wearing mantra chanting peace loving hippie, and I watch the rise of the right with terror. I am schadenfreuding a little as Thwump (aka #45) shuffles around like an incontinent cow, but please ... are not the House Freedom Caucus some sort of goose stepping machismo brigade, and compared to them isn't Trump a left-leaning kumbaya-ing wimp? And therefore should I schadenfreude as I watch him rant at the House Freedom Caucus, or not?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Consign them all to hell, God will sort them out.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I've been saying since at least last year, when it comes to Trump vs. the more traditional Republicans, on a number of issues, I expect to be rooting for Trump.

But this isn't one of those issues. Finally getting around to the relevant reading, I see Trump sarcastically congratulated the Freedom Caucus for "saving Planned Parenthood". Which means he's not attacking them from the left.

Though it's probably the case that the HFC wants to do more damage to health-care than Trumpcare was proposing, so assuming the issue is now dead and buried, we can probably say it's a good thing.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A plague on both their houses.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Finally getting around to the relevant reading, I see Trump sarcastically congratulated the Freedom Caucus for "saving Planned Parenthood". Which means he's not attacking them from the left.

This thread seems to be inspired by one of Trump's tweets:

quote:
The Freedom Caucus will hurt the entire Republican agenda if they don't get on the team, & fast. We must fight them, & Dems, in 2018!
The context here is Trump's "vote for my bill or else" ultimatum on his* health care bill, which the Freedom Caucus proceeded to ignore. Trump doesn't care about policy, but he does care about "winning" and PR, so this tantrum is the obvious result.

The Freedom Caucus, on the other hand, are ideological purists who suffer from chronic backstabbing disorder. Their usual modus operandi is to stake out some maximalist right wing position with a list of demands, and when those demands are met to then stake out another set of even more stringent demands. Lather, rinse, repeat. They're essentially a caucus that just can't say "yes" to anything. What surprises me is that, given their track record, anyone still tries to bring them on board for anything.

So yes, Trump isn't attacking them from "the left", he's attacking them for disobedience to his own wonderful self, which seems to be the core of his political beliefs.

--------------------
*Yes, the AHCA was largely the creation of Paul Ryan and other members of the Republican Congressional leadership, but when Trump issued his ultimatum he made the bill "his".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump praised Ken Buck, a Colorado representative and Freedom Caucus member, for publishing an op-ed this morning stating that he supported and still support the health care bill.

Only problem? The local news has tape from last Friday of Buck saying he wasn't sold on the bill.

Note again that Buck got a positive call out from Trump, while other Freedom Caucus members were specifically and negatively called out by Trump in the same hour.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So basically #45 is several screws loose and all wings are meaningless?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016