homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Ingenious

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ingenious
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Washington Post reported that because of the recent heat wave in England, schoolboys have taken to wearing skirts to school. Apparently, some schools have policies forbidding the wearing of shorts except for physical education, so the boys asked to borrow skirts from their girlfriends or sisters.

According to the article, the schools have had to allow this, but one boy was sent home because the skirt was too short and a number of the boys were told to shave their legs (which a few did).

Not only has this happened in England, but I understand some male bus drivers in France took to wearing skirts after they were told they could not wear shorts at work. The French bus company I now relaxed their rules.

Maybe this is the start of a new trend!

I know if I am assigned outside work I can wear shorts, but if I am assigned inside work I will have to wear what is allowed for inside work. Trousers or a skirt.

Problem is, I don't know how to wear a skirt properly. I would probably wear shorts with a skirt over them if I had to resort to that.

I know Europe has had a heat wave this past couple of weeks. The Southwestern US has also been hit hard. Hopefully, things will break soon.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can get short full shorts that look like a skirt. (The neologism for these items is 'skort'.) There is nothing particularly much to managing a skirt, particularly if you continue to wear boxers or briefs underneath them -- I am wearing a skirt as I type this. I would not go commando unless you have lots of practice. And you should probably eschew somersaults or handsprings.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
irreverend tod
Shipmate
# 18773

- Posted      Profile for irreverend tod   Email irreverend tod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're loving this story in our school (which is in the same city as the skirt wearers). We had this a few years ago and have proper Bermuda shorts as part of the uniform and we did have one lad who wore a skirt as normal dress - it takes all sorts.
It doesn't extend to staff who have been sweltering, because it's not professional enough! Several of us have photos of military No1 and No2 uniform with shorts to disprove this. Female staff have been wandering round in sun dresses for days though, so some of us are thinking of joining in!

--------------------
Diocesan Arsonist and Lead thief to the Church of England.

Posts: 55 | From: England | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Utilikilts company might help. They have practical, pocketed kilts for everyday wear. I think they're in Seattle.

Their kilts are expensive, but they might be of inspiration. There may be other similar companies, and maybe sewing patterns.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In fashion, kilts (without any tartan) and skirts for men look pretty much the same, but if you call it a kilt it seems masculine, more masculine than pants or shorts in some instances. This makes no sense to me. Who cares what anyone of any gender wears?

The cooler one feels in one's clothing, the more money and energy/fuel saved on air conditioning, btw. That's why many government offices in India have banned wearing ties in the summer.

[ 23. June 2017, 00:58: Message edited by: stonespring ]

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Guardian article on the first post.

We went the opposite in our final two years of high (secondary) school. The "cool" kids decided shorts were out and trousers in, even on 40C+ days, so we like sheeple followed.

In my current job I wore shorts for the first time to work in summer [at a uni; in environmentally friendly mud hut buildings]. It was comfortable.

[edit: can't spell hut apparently]

[ 23. June 2017, 01:25: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
You can get short full shorts that look like a skirt. (The neologism for these items is 'skort'.) There is nothing particularly much to managing a skirt, particularly if you continue to wear boxers or briefs underneath them -- I am wearing a skirt as I type this. I would not go commando unless you have lots of practice. And you should probably eschew somersaults or handsprings.

Here in Australia more and more primary schools appear to provide a shorts or skort uniform option for girls, and a good thing too.

It is incredible that some little girls still have to wear uniform dresses, which inhibit activities such as swinging on monkey bars (assuming that such apparatus still exists, and hasn't been outlawed by OHS authorities).

As for males, when we were visiting the UK and its offshore continent last year, we were interested to come across a few young men in black kilts in England and France.

I haven't seen any here yet, but perhaps I need to get out more.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought English men just rolled up their trouser legs and put a hankie on their head in the summer.

EVIDENCE

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Guardian article on the first post.

I think they look great [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is now half a century since I was part of this argument in one of Sydney's academically-selective high schools. I had injured my knee and was unable to wear long trousers, so wore grey shorts and long grey socks to school [as our exchange students from Mt Roskill in NZ were permitted to, it being part of their home uniform]. After a terse interview with the deputy principal as to my breach of uniform rules, I was permitted to continue on medical grounds, but the rule was changed before summer heat hit, and uniform shorts and long socks were permitted. So I was very surprised to see such a dispute, especially when temperatures are as high as reported and students are attempting to learn in classrooms without cooling.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course here in the States we have generally limited school dress codes, which leads to the common sight of teenage boys waiting for the school bus in near-freezing temperatures wearing shorts and pretending to be too tough to notice.

There is a joke that goes around that I generally find to be true: no matter how cold it is, somewhere there's a white guy in shorts.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last time we had heat waves like this, back in the 70s, one of my fellow pupils was sent home for coming into afternoon lessons wearing a girl's gym skirt rather than his school uniform trousers. He argued he was wearing uniform - it was someone's PE kit he'd borrowed, but it didn't wash.

That was back when we girls had summer dresses as a uniform option as well as the blouse, blazer and grey skirt of winter, which many of us wore all year round. But we used to complain in winter when we were not allowed to wear trousers. Particularly because it was the same time as the fuel crisis, the heating was off and we were really cold.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at school, younger boys wore short trousers, and older boys wore long trousers, regardless of the time of year.

Trouser length was thus a symbol of status.

Our one concession to summer was that we were permitted to remove our jackets, and roll up our shirt sleeves.

[ 23. June 2017, 18:41: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand why folk are allergic to shorts. Or on what basis a school can require anyone to shave their legs regardless of gender or attire.

Come to that I don't understand why males making a point don't just wear a kilt, sarong or thobe.

(Or you could throw on a light weight cassock.)

[ 23. June 2017, 18:43: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Come to that I don't understand why males making a point don't just wear a kilt, sarong or thobe.

To that particular point, the boys were wearing school uniform skirts. I very much doubt that the school uniform includes either a kilt, a sarong, or a thobe.

The school uniform does not permit shorts, but does include a uniform skirt. So...

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am guessing it included black or grey trousers, to which I would argue a different black or grey garment would be a reasonable alternative - or a white thobe with a uniform tie - "it's just a shirt Miss"

[ 23. June 2017, 19:02: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There does seem to be a particular species of headteacher who will refuse a pupil an afternoon off for his grandmother's funeral but send him home for his hair being a mm too short.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah. "There must be order!" said Uncle Karl, as he threw the last plate against the wall." (Apologies re the original in German, whose author I now don't recall.)

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
I am guessing it included black or grey trousers, to which I would argue a different black or grey garment would be a reasonable alternative - or a white thobe with a uniform tie - "it's just a shirt Miss"

I think you're quite purposefully not grasping the meaning of the word "uniform" [Big Grin] And if you wanted to get away with a thobe being "just a shirt", you'd find yourself sent home for forgetting to put your trousers on.

(In particular, a garment that wasn't made from the same fabric as the school trousers would likely be a different shade, and would stick out from a mile away. Even a generic white shirt might have a noticeably different collar.)

(In general, I can see the arguments for a school uniform, and I can see the arguments for not having a school uniform. I don't understand uniforms-that-aren't-uniform at all.)

[ 23. June 2017, 19:50: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry: friend Google ascribes the original to Erich Kastner as "Ordnung muss sein!" sagte Onkel Karl, und schmiss die lezte Teller an die Wand.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

As to uniforms and the yoof, isn't it a fairly pointless exercise?

Their developmental stage virtually requires anybody between 10 and 18 to rebel against school-issued dress codes and uniforms. Leave them to their own devices, and they will impose even more rigid "uniforms" on themselves. Even at age 18, when they show up in freshman comp, you can hardly tell them apart. Everybody wears jeans, flip-flops, and T-shirts; all the girls have long hair parted in the middle, and all the guys have a flop of hair that hangs over one eye (or specs lens). They even have the same names: I'm teaching a tiny summer class of 8 students with two Andrews, two Matts, and two Lindsays.

We're three weeks in and I still don't know who's who.

--------------------

angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I read this same story about a different school last year. It's not really that original. It's mostly a battle of wills, with the school needing to save face and not be seen to be browbeaten by the children.

My local junior school reacted to a boy wearing the girls' cotton summer dress (and arguing for equality between the sexes) by removing the dress option entirely - so, far from making summer more bearable for the boys (who could wear grey shorts), he made it less comfortable for the girls. Curses! But I'm sure the school/governors felt that they'd won the war.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....which does sack-all for teaching children how to grow into sensible adults.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
When I was at school, younger boys wore short trousers, and older boys wore long trousers, regardless of the time of year.

Trouser length was thus a symbol of status.

When I was at school (and the rules remained the same when Dlet was there) boys in Prep school wore grey woollen shorts in winter, and khaki in summer. The summer shorts remained in Senior school, but in winter grey wool trousers were the uniform. Final year boys were allowed wear trousers all year round, thus demonstrating status in summer.

The other main rule was that blazers and boaters had to be worn to/from school, and in my day, full uniform as well. By Dlet's time there was some relaxation - once we were dining at a local restaurant and saw a group of senior boys wearing the required boater and blazer, with wet board shorts as the only other visible clothing; on their way home from swimming practice via the chicken shop.

[ 23. June 2017, 23:05: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wulfia
Apprentice
# 18799

- Posted      Profile for Wulfia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
The Utilikilts company might help. They have practical, pocketed kilts for everyday wear. I think they're in Seattle.

I see men in these around here with some regularity. I wouldn't say it is common, but it isn't surprising or unusual either. In fact, my cashier in the local bookshop was wearing one today.

I wish more women's skirts were made like this. Pockets! I need pockets! I would love to be able to go about regularly without my purse, but finding women's garments with substantial pockets is next to impossible.

--------------------
Comely as Jerusalem, terrible as an army with banners.

Posts: 6 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wulfia:
I wish more women's skirts were made like this. Pockets! I need pockets! I would love to be able to go about regularly without my purse, but finding women's garments with substantial pockets is next to impossible.

What you need is a sporran.
Wulfia
Apprentice
# 18799

- Posted      Profile for Wulfia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
Originally posted by Wulfia:

What you need is a sporran.
*googles sporran*

Yes! That is exactly what I need!

Only a plain one. I don't think the bossman would approve of me wandering about the office in horsehair or badger.

--------------------
Comely as Jerusalem, terrible as an army with banners.

Posts: 6 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose a fanny pack is less romantic. In the past pockets were separate from garments, tying on underneath your skirts and petticoats. They were accessed through a placket in the side seams.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couple of points

For those of you who recollect your summer uniform many years ago, you did not have the type of heatwave your grandchildren are experiencing now.

Where I work I have to wear slacks. Fortunately, it is air conditioned so it is survivable. However, I asked my boss today if there was any prohibition for males to wear skirts. He said nope, and he (encouraged) me to do so. I chickened out. I said I don't have legs for a skirt.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suppose a fanny pack is less romantic. In the past pockets were separate from garments, tying on underneath your skirts and petticoats. They were accessed through a placket in the side seams.

Sometimes, Renaissance and craft fair vendors have very pretty waist/hip packs. Etsy might, too.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
As to uniforms and the yoof, isn't it a fairly pointless exercise?

Their developmental stage virtually requires anybody between 10 and 18 to rebel against school-issued dress codes and uniforms. Leave them to their own devices, and they will impose even more rigid "uniforms" on themselves. Even at age 18, when they show up in freshman comp, you can hardly tell them apart. Everybody wears jeans, flip-flops, and T-shirts; all the girls have long hair parted in the middle, and all the guys have a flop of hair that hangs over one eye (or specs lens). They even have the same names: I'm teaching a tiny summer class of 8 students with two Andrews, two Matts, and two Lindsays.

We're three weeks in and I still don't know who's who.

Uniforms are there precisely for rebellion. Children will look for boundaries. If they are kicking against school uniform they are not kicking against other things which matter far more. Children will always find the walls - they need to know their limits, behaviour wise. We don't want the only walls they find to be prison walls.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Couple of points

For those of you who recollect your summer uniform many years ago, you did not have the type of heatwave your grandchildren are experiencing now.

1976. That was a proper summer. We wore shorts all the time though.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suppose a fanny pack

That never stops being funny for us in the UK

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
I suppose a fanny pack

That never stops being funny for us in the UK
Schoolboy double entendre...if a more enjoyable form of humour exists (which I doubt) then I haven't heard of it, and I don't want to.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Couple of points

1976. That was a proper summer. We wore shorts all the time though.
You bet. I worked on a building site for three months and that cured me of any notion of the dignity of physical labour.

[ 04. July 2017, 10:00: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016