homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » America First! Who wants to be second? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: America First! Who wants to be second?
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go to this map. Double click any continent and double click any country and see their video addressing why they should be second. (The German video is insane--reminds me of someone).
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! I linked that down in Hell. The original, the Netherlands, is the best.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed Australia's

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Switzerfan myself.

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In all seriousness, I have always hated that "America First" shit. Back in the early days of the colonies it was i enlightened and naive to think of America as the Promised Land, but after 250 years of existence people should have learned by now that it's a great big world that tends to run more smoothly when you cooperate with it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Unenlightened". Damn predictive text.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I have always hated that "America First" shit.

From this side of the Atlantic, my attitude to the phrase is potentially coloured by "Britain First" which is a neo-fascist bunch of thugs, the sort of thing that the majority of British people want to distance themselves from (though, not too far it seems as many people still swallowed anti-immigration lies and voted Leave on that basis).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isolationism is a close, and incestuous, relative of racism.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has been a persistent strain in American Christianity, that the US is God's chosen country. It is nonsense, of course, and can't stand up to even the most cursory scrutiny. (Go put the word 'America' into your online Bible concordance; I'll wait.) Nevertheless I have heard it from people I would have deemed intelligent persons of faith.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather liked the Lithuanian entry, as they're quite happy to be third .

Very modest.

And their President Dalia Grybauskaitė (not 'Grab-yer-skirt') looks to be one feisty lady...

And trumpas is Lithuanian for 'short', hopefully referring to Pussygrabber's presidency...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a POST article pointing out that saying America is a Christian nation is heresy.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iran's contribution is by far the best, IMHO...

'Iran anywhere, but before Iraq'

[Overused] [Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

You paint with too broad a brush-as usual. In the U.S. between World Wars there was a significant amount of progressives who would have described themselves as isolationist and wanted to avoid another war in Europe.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard quite a bit of proof-texting around walls being God's Will(R). He built one round Jerusalem to protect it from invaders, so the USA should do likewise. (Ezekiel 22:30). Apparently God is not opposed to walls! There's a whole load of crap about one-world government, and how the story of Babel was about God endorsing the nation state as the God-given way to organise humanity. Not sure if this is a tangent.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:

You paint with too broad a brush-as usual. In the U.S. between World Wars there was a significant amount of progressives who would have described themselves as isolationist and wanted to avoid another war in Europe.
She said close relative, not identical.

What is "isolationism"? Ultimately it is keeping "us" separate from "them", and quite often that is manifest as fear. It is also manifest as a feeling of superiority, that "we" are better than "them" and "they" will spoil "our" superior civilisation. Between the wars US isolationism was about keeping Europe at arms length from the US, out of fear of being embroiled in another European war. Japan was isolated for centuries, out of fear that Japanese culture would be polluted by European influence. There is a strong current of isolationism in Brexit, out of fears that immigrants are "taking our jobs" and other such nonsense.

Racism is also about drawing a line between "us" and "them". It also is marked by a feeling of superiority, and also by no small amount of fear. Racists want to keep "them" down (or out) because ultimately they fear that racial equality will take away their feeling of superiority, their place near the top of the social pile.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

You are right! I forgot plain old xenephobia.
Progressive is a relative term.
One can be racist without hating everyone of different ethnicity.
Racism is, oh bugger; in saying I use too broad a brush, you use one to paint your picture of progressives.
There is a hell of a lot of racism in isolationist movements, despite there being some who are not.
The current isolationism in Britain and America is driven more by xenephobia and racism than sound economic theory.
Whilst one can attribute other motives to different periods of isolationism, you are seriously trying to tell me that the population then had a sound grasp of economics and political theory?

Edited for typo. bruschetta? Seriously, autocorrect?

[ 09. February 2017, 15:54: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

What is "isolationism"? Ultimately it is keeping "us" separate from "them", and quite often that is manifest as fear. It is also manifest as a feeling of superiority, that "we" are better than "them" and "they" will spoil "our" superior civilisation. Between the wars US isolationism was about keeping Europe at arms length from the US, out of fear of being embroiled in another European war. Japan was isolated for centuries, out of fear that Japanese culture would be polluted by European influence. There is a strong current of isolationism in Brexit, out of fears that immigrants are "taking our jobs" and other such nonsense.

Racism is also about drawing a line between "us" and "them". It also is marked by a feeling of superiority, and also by no small amount of fear. Racists want to keep "them" down (or out) because ultimately they fear that racial equality will take away their feeling of superiority, their place near the top of the social pile.

For many, particularly progressives, the motivation was pacifism. I seriously doubt people such as Sinclair Lewis and E.E. Cummings would have felt American civilization as inherently superior. They felt war was wrong and wanted to do their part to actively resist it.
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Autocorrect understands that painting with a broad bruschetta would not be putting America first.

(my autocorrect suggested "butterscotch" [Smile] )

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
For many, particularly progressives, the motivation was pacifism. I seriously doubt people such as Sinclair Lewis and E.E. Cummings would have felt American civilization as inherently superior. They felt war was wrong and wanted to do their part to actively resist it.

Again, too broad a brush. Pacifism ranges from all violence is bad to those people aren't worth fighting for.
And polling intellectuals doesn't necessarily reflect the general population.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
quote:

Autocorrect understands that painting with a broad bruschetta would not be putting America first.

(my autocorrect suggested "butterscotch" [Smile] )

sabine

Perhaps painting bruschetta with butterscotch?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

quote:
quote:

Again, too broad a brush. Pacifism ranges from all violence is bad to those people aren't worth fighting for.
And polling intellectuals doesn't necessarily reflect the general population.

You're right. Far better to assume the worst in people with whom you disagree.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Not assuming. An increased level of racist violence following Brexit and Trump is evidence.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

quote:
Not assuming. An increased level of racist violence following Brexit and Trump is evidence.

We seem to be talking at cross purposes or you are moving the goalposts. I'm not talking about Trump or Brexit. I'm stating that conflating all isolationists during the interwar period with racists is inaccurate and a hackneyed slur. Your original statement condemned isolationism at all times and places and additional comments continued to paint them with that brush.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Let's look at it this way. Trump did almost no outlining of actual policy. What he did was appeal to racism, xenophobia and American exceptionalism(which is often a combination of the two).
One of the few things he did fill in the details for? An economic plan that will be detrimental to his base. And yet they still voted for him.
No matter what people thought he might represent, all they had was what he said. Which is mostly racism and xenophobia.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

quote:
Let's look at it this way. Trump did almost no outlining of actual policy. What he did was appeal to racism, xenophobia and American exceptionalism(which is often a combination of the two).
One of the few things he did fill in the details for? An economic plan that will be detrimental to his base. And yet they still voted for him.
No matter what people thought he might represent, all they had was what he said. Which is mostly racism and xenophobia.

I realize I may not be the most engaging personality but what you wrote above does not address anything I wrote in the post above. Did you even read it? I said "I'm not talking about Trump or Brexit."
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

We seem to be talking at cross purposes or you are moving the goalposts. I'm not talking about Trump or Brexit. I'm stating that conflating all isolationists during the interwar period with racists is inaccurate and a hackneyed slur. Your original statement condemned isolationism at all times and places and additional comments continued to paint them with that brush.
I never said all, that is your projection. BTW, this thread is about Trump.
For any philosophy there will be a variation in what it means to any individual. It is as predjudicial to broadly ascribe positive motivation as it is negative.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

I realize I may not be the most engaging personality but what you wrote above does not address anything I wrote in the post above. Did you even read it? I said "I'm not talking about Trump or Brexit."
Dude, x-post.
You have to have noticed that term here. Unlike a typical face to face conversation, one online is often out of phase. So, unless your post is quoted within a subsequent post, it is mistaken to assume that the latter is necessarily a reply to the former.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
quote:

From what I can recall from my history lessons, the main driver behind US isolationism was that it was felt that another war between European nations was likely and that isolationism would minimise the chances of the US becoming involved in that war. Lewis and Cummings represent one aspect of that, the pacifists not wanting any war. There were others who had no particular objection to war, but were not wanting US soldiers getting killed in someone else's war.
In both cases, these fall approximately under the banner of fear - the fear that involvement in European affairs would lead to US troops having to fight in a European war. And, some isolationists no doubt also had other reasons.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Alan had it right in interpreting my first post that began this interchange. But he was evaluating what I actually said.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the map if you click NZ you get the video for Australia [Roll Eyes] Now Australia is a great country [Biased] but it's not NZ.

I found NZ's video by Googling and I love it. The url is too long to post and I've never got the hang of doing a tiny one, but I encourage you to Google it.

(In NZ, New Zealand First is a political Party with 12 out of 121 seats in Parliament. It is anti immigration.)

Huia

[ 11. February 2017, 03:21: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

New Zealand Second

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks lilBuddha, I'm a bit more dozy than usual at the moment [Hot and Hormonal] but when I'm back to myself I must master the technique properly.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
There has been a persistent strain in American Christianity, that the US is God's chosen country. It is nonsense, of course, and can't stand up to even the most cursory scrutiny. (Go put the word 'America' into your online Bible concordance; I'll wait.) Nevertheless I have heard it from people I would have deemed intelligent persons of faith.

I think it is an easy trap to fall into - one that first came home to me not in the US, but at the memorial to the Huguenots in South Africa.

You have a band of people attached to God and Scripture who flee their native land because they are persecuted for precisely these reasons. It's not hard to see how they identified themselves with the slaves in Egypt (in much the same way as christianised African slaves did).

They arrived in somewhere as beautiful as South Africa where there was no persecution and they had the technological advantage. It's also easy to see how they would adopt the next part of the metaphor too: clearly, this was God's Promised Land for them and they had a mandate to drive out and/or subdue the heathen inhabitants.

Today in the US, I think this outlook is aided by the fact that the Old Testament shows us a theocracy, not a democracy, and a culture with a very definite "chain of being" with some at the top and others lower down (usually women, slaves, etc.).

I think not a few christians, especially evangelicals, continue to see authority along the lines of this "chain of being". For them, the idea of equality is actually a less important one than the idea of hierarchy*.

"America First" makes perfect sense in that light.

==

*I recently criticised a US acquaintance for supporting Trump by saying the latter was a "threat to democracy" - then later realised he might have actually thought democracy was not such a good thing...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
In NZ, New Zealand First is a political Party with 12 out of 121 seats in Parliament. It is anti immigration.

I wonder how many other nations have political parties or campaign groups with a name like "[nation] First". Are any of them not racist and xenophobic?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

*I recently criticised a US acquaintance for supporting Trump by saying the latter was a "threat to democracy" - then later realised he might have actually thought democracy was not such a good thing...

Too few care about the equality of all. Too many care for the supremacy of themselves.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, why haven't we produced a film? We've got a far better claim than all these other cruddy no good little states - who's heard of Germany or the Netherlands? Where are they?

Admit it Mr President. "Nether' means 'bottom'. AND we even do 'bottoms' better than them. We really know how to lick them - we do it better, so much better, than anyone else. Our PM has already shown up in Washington to lick yours, to make us your poodle, or rather the du-dus that come out of it. These others are only pretending. She really loves you.

AND we've a foreign secretary who loves you. He loves you so much he even looks like you. And he's got hair like yours. AND another of our wonderful politicians has been photographed in a golden lift with you. Mr President you'd really love our politicians. You don't even need to try to win them over. They already love you. AND your dear old mom comes from what is still part of here. AND we've got lots of wind farms - O no, I forgot, you don't like them. They spoil golf courses. Perhaps keep quiet about them. Put some pretty girls in front of the pictures of them. We got fantastic women, lots of them. Half our entire population have pussies.

AND we've got even stoopider voters than you have. You got in with a minority vote. But 54% of us voted stoopid. Hey AND we've already got a wall. It's nearly 2,000 years old. It keeps the Scots out. AND it works. It must do. Think about it Mr President. Your dear old mom ended up in New York, not Manchester, Preston or somewhere - though they are really cool. You'd love Preston. AND we shoot Mexicans - O No, sorry, that was a Brazilian. Well, they're all the same.

We used to have the BEST COMEDIANS is the world. We were famous for them. Most of them haven't died yet. Surely we can do better than all these other places. We must be funnier than Luxembourg - that's just a radio station after all.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And America was not racist in the Depression years? Really?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horseman Bree, how are you reading lilBuddha's claim about the relationship between isolationism and racism as implying that the US wasn't racist during the Depression?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What drives me guano is when some stupid Republican then turns around and says, "We're not a democracy we're a republic." This is somehow supposed to show that the Democratic Party is wrong and the Republican Party is right. It gets so fucking old.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wonder how many other nations have political parties or campaign groups with a name like "[nation] First". Are any of them not racist and xenophobic?

We (apparently) have an Australia First Party which is ultra-right. It is one of those parties that my eyes glaze over and automatically put at the bottom of the order of preferences.

One of the joys of preferential voting is: who will I put last?

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
Horseman Bree, how are you reading lilBuddha's claim about the relationship between isolationism and racism as implying that the US wasn't racist during the Depression?

I'm confused by this as well.
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
What drives me guano is when some stupid Republican then turns around and says, "We're not a democracy we're a republic."

I would lay odds that most of them do not understand the definitions of wither word.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

What drives me guano is when some stupid Republican then turns around and says, "We're not a democracy we're a republic."
Are they just trying to make some sort of partisan joke based on the parties' names, or is that evidence of some particular viewpoint that I've missed?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who decided that America was number one? I think the main problem in the world is that nations think they are superior to other nations, rather than recognising that we are all created equal. We all tend to love our own countries, but that doesn't mean that we have the right to claim we are better than the people of any other country. Such attitudes lead to resentment, anger and potentially to war.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bib:
Yes, what in the donald is that?
There is a frequently observed foundational theory, even when recognised, continues to operate. Something about being a little more and special. Exceptionalism isn't erased just because it is acknowledged. With the rise of richman pseudo-populism, it may actually eventually become recognised as the mean practical joke on the world it is.

Rhymes with the history of America's 'Greece', which referendumed itself into a painful joke where they debate a deformed toad visiting an elderly woman.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

America thinks it is first because in living memory it has been. At least militarily, politically and economically.
It has been ages since the UK could legitimately think this, but some still do.
Now, I agree that powerful shouldn't mean preeminent, but it isn't hard to see why some do.
You do not get to what should be by ignoring what is. Instead you get Brexit and Trump.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus stated 'the last shall be first and the first shall be last'. Something extreme right wing enthusiasts using the blah blah blah First mantra may wish to ponder, especially if they are also adherents to the Good Book.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Who decided that America was number one?

It is a very old idea, dating back to the Pilgrims ("a city set on a hill"). It has always been stupid, but is especially pernicious when it ties into religion (" ...because God chose us to be number one!"). There are large segments of the population who insist on lip service to the notion. One of the many calumnies slung against Barack Obama was that he didn't think America was the greatest. Hence the slogan of Li'l Donny.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those pilgrims you refer to weren't a very nice bunch of people from what I gather. The way it comes across to an outside is that they created a nasty puritanical cult. Sort of like British Amish or one of those groups with a compound with the power of life and death over the group, keen on witch trials. Paranoid.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may have already seen this linked article in the Washington Post. I can't remember if any of the many threads on these boards have already linked to it. It's Stanley Hauerwas on patriotism as a false god, and the use of Christian phraseology in the service of patriotism as idolatry.

Trump is not the first person to abuse Christianity this way. Unless he and his minions bring about the destruction of the world, he's unlikely to be the last. It's difficult to fault what Hauerwas is saying. It's a warning not just for now but for all time.

I think Hauerwas is bang on.

[ 12. February 2017, 20:29: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

What's sad is that Christians (real ones, not Trumpian heretics) are taken in by his faux faith.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016