homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » What if God were a spoiled child?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What if God were a spoiled child?
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mention on another thread of the short story It's a Good Life, by Jerome Bixby, has popped a question into my mind:

What if God were omniscient and all-powerful but not all-wise and all-good? What if he were a three year old child who knew he could always get exactly what he wanted?

Would he show us how we should behave and then leave us to it, rewarding or punishing not in this life but in the next life?

Or would things be quite different?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I somehow can't see a three-year-old child waiting for very much, even if it is to reward or punish. Far more likely to have a totally arbitrary consequence immediately. If the child "waits" the chances are they have grown bored and gone to do something different with no thought of later consequences.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean, like some of his most vocal "supporters"?

I suppose I am reminded of Q from Star Trek (Voyager particularly, I can't remember if he appears in the others). Very irritating, but mostly irrelevant to the life of the crew.

I don't experience God in that way. I believe God is more present than this, more tolerant of us, more hurt by what hurts us. I am not sure his omnipotence of omni-powerfulness are particularly relevant much of the time. His humanity is (oddly enough).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of the OT passages, do ring true when read with a whiny voice.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of God's mood swings in OT make me think I wouldn't want to be trapped in a lift with Him/Her

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good grief, Miss Amanda, are you suggesting that the Almighty could be The Donald [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the same thought.

I feel ill....

[Projectile]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Good grief, Miss Amanda, are you suggesting that the Almighty could be The Donald [Eek!]

You are making a funny, but the way many Christians view their God, it is an apt comparison.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I suppose I am reminded of Q from Star Trek (Voyager particularly, I can't remember if he appears in the others). Very irritating, but mostly irrelevant to the life of the crew.

First introduced in the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation: Encounter at Farpoint, then again in the first season of ST:NG "Hide and Q". A list of all appearances in three Star Trek TV series is here.

The point I derive from Q is that unlimited power over time, space, reality, the universe etc, without some form of morality, purpose and structure is vacuous and empty. A point made in the episode Q-less.

I sure everyone is bored and ignoring this by now. (I am one of those ridiculous nerd people who find ST rather meaningful, and have formed some of my ideals based on it.)

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I refuse to be an ST nerd, but really enjoyed the Voyager series, because I found them to have interesting and challenging insights.

And yes, Q was an example of what happens when a being has unlimited power, without responsibility. God has responsibility, and because that responsibility is important to us.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one can argue that in the relationship between God and human beings, there may have been growth or at least some change on each side. There may have been a learning curve for God, or at least for whichever thread of God's consciousness was involved.

In the early Old Testament, God acts like the parent of a small child who will not behave unless threatened with punishment. I think there is some progress made in this over time. In the New Testament we see not just the carrot and stick approach but some actual reasoning.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kosuki Koyama wrote Water Buffalo Theology many years ago. He pointed out that rather than being detached and rather cool, the Biblical God is a hot God who is very involved in the world. He is a hot God because of his fierce love for his creation. It is not a sign of immaturity, but of involvement.

The writers of the Hebrew Bible have no problem with saying their God could make wrong decisions and would change God's mind.

Christians seem unable to reconcile such an emotional God with an immutable God. I prefer the Hebrew understanding.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gramps49, I think that is more true in the Torah than in the post-exilic prophets. Either God has changed or the Hebrews' understanding of God has changed, and you get things like, "For I, the LORD, do not change" (Mal 3). But even in the Torah you get things like "God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind." (Num 23).

It seems to me that there were earlier tendencies to see God as capable of changing, changing her mind, etc., alongside a thread that says God is unchanging. And I think in the end the unchanging side won.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Q:

However, he did grow and change for the better. He got some insight and self-control.

On "ST: TNG", he also was good with the grown, orphaned daughter of two members of the collective who'd left and gone to Earth for a normal human life. The collective killed them, IIRC. She had some Q abilities, and needed help to cope.

On "ST: Voyager", IIRC, he had a child of his own, and had to figure out how to handle it.

Then there's the novel "Q-Squared" (IIRC), which has a very interesting connection with an "ST: TOS" episode, in which a very nasty alien turned out to be a badly-behaved little boy...
[Cool]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That God has changed and learned in His dealings with us is not a new idea. Here's at least one book on the subject.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
That God has changed and learned in His dealings with us is not a new idea. Here's at least one book on the subject.

I've seen that in shops. Is it any good?

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Which of course, is the central thesis behind the entire corpus of Process Theology.

Open Theism differs somewhat to Process-- seeing God as changing (especially in response to human choices) but not "evolving" or learning in the same way process would. The central text among many there would be
The Openness of God

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

No. If anything he's the devil incarnate. But we digress.

I would suggest, however, that the Anthony character in the short story I linked to could be the model for an omnipotent but immature God.

[ 26. February 2017, 21:33: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's a false one.

[ 26. February 2017, 14:56: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed it is Martin. I have found myself moving progressively over some years to see the changed ideas of God's behvaiour being a product of human projection and limitations of perception. God isn't probably most of the things suggested by humans, biblical or church. No more a spoiled child, author of genocide, than God is the cause of Isaac and Jesus' PTSD.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that it's us who have changed no... and also that the theosis of creation is eternal. What could God possibly learn?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Indeed it is Martin. I have found myself moving progressively over some years to see the changed ideas of God's behvaiour being a product of human projection and limitations of perception. God isn't probably most of the things suggested by humans, biblical or church. No more a spoiled child, author of genocide, than God is the cause of Isaac and Jesus' PTSD.

Jesus had PTSD? That's a new one on me. What is the evidence?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I've seen that in shops. Is it any good?
I found it very interesting, and read it from cover to cover. It is readily available used and in libraries.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:

He isn't human if the traumatic experience of being whipped and tortured to death didn't create memories seared into his being. You may call it suffering if you prefer traditional language. He remembers suffering and death. Now if dying and rising cures the psychological symptoms and physiological sequelae, that's lovely. But he had to have been traumatized in the time span of his torturous death. He had better remember his trauma if he wants to identify with humanity.

or do you think Jesus had immunity to normal human disorder, disease and problems?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Er, He didn't live long enough to develop PTSD. His behaviour after not existing for three days was certainly intriguing. That's got to change a person!

[ 26. February 2017, 20:59: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:

He isn't human if the traumatic experience of being whipped and tortured to death didn't create memories seared into his being. You may call it suffering if you prefer traditional language. He remembers suffering and death. Now if dying and rising cures the psychological symptoms and physiological sequelae, that's lovely. But he had to have been traumatized in the time span of his torturous death. He had better remember his trauma if he wants to identify with humanity.

or do you think Jesus had immunity to normal human disorder, disease and problems?

I think you're borrowing trouble, is what I think. Sure, it's possible to get PTSD from a single incident. But having a traumatic experience is NOT diagnostic of PTSD. And we have no record of PTSD-like symptoms. So you're armchair diagnosing someone 2000 years ago in lack of all evidence of symptoms based on an occurrence which has the possibility of causing the disease.

And you are sarcastic to ME?

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016