homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Who's now the leader of the free world? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Who's now the leader of the free world?
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that Trump has been proven a pathological liar, who is the leader of the free world?
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's meaningless ever since the Soviet Union went down. 1989ish. If your question is which country has the better functioning democracy, that's a different question, and there are many.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Now that Trump has been proven a pathological liar, who is the leader of the free world?

Just now?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the moral leadership she showed at the time of the peak of the refugee crisis in Europe, I'd suggest Angela Merkel.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second the motion. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall (German speaking, of course) in her hotel room after her meeting with the asshole-in-chief.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's one of these office and office holder questions. If that power is vested in any office, it remains with the office of POTUS, regardless of who is the office holder. At present, I'm hoping that there is an internal struggle taking place in the White House, with the more rational appointees vying with the sycophants to exercise some moderating influence on the current office holder.

A bit like the Court of Henry the Eighth. Trump comes across as a classic tyrant-bully type; there are great skills involved in controlling such types. As well as considerable risks for those who try. Not beheading of course these days, but I don't think it's a role for the faint-hearted.

I've got a feeling that Mattis and Tillerson will make common cause and may succeed in being accepted as the voices to listen to globally. Other national leaders can vest power in them by taking seriously what they say, leaving Trump to run the tweet entertainment side show. And Congress will run domestic policy via the budget.

The art will be to persuade Trump that he has won when he hasn't. Given his attention span and impatience with detail, this may be possible.

Short answer to the OP question. A committee of the most influential US White House appointees, steering the erratic Trump.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone?

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a free world, everyone and no-one is the leader. If there is a specified individual leader, or a very small cohort of joint leaders, then we're not really free. Within a democracy there may have been a large number of people who have chosen to cede their freedom, for a short while, to an individual or party. That doesn't make us free.

Of course the "free world" of the title is nothing of the sort. It was originally simply "free from Communist rule". We were never free from Capitalism and the multinational companies, their unelected CEOs and the politicians they support.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My vote is with Angela.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Show me a free world and I might be able to tell you who's leading it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no such job title as "leader of the free world", and never has been.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On reflection I think the phrase is really shorthand for the leader of the most militarily and economic powerful democracy in the world.

The implication is that the leader of that country has a wider responsibility for guarding and fostering democracies than any other leader because of that power. But that leader may not want that responsibility or may not be up to it. Or may not be accepted by the other democracies as having that role

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas wrote:

quote:
I've got a feeling that Mattis and Tillerson will make common cause and may succeed in being accepted as the voices to listen to globally. Other national leaders can vest power in them by taking seriously what they say, leaving Trump to run the tweet entertainment side show. And Congress will run domestic policy via the budget.

My hopes for Tillerson were somewhat dampened when I found out that he had wanted Iran-Contra sleazebag Elliot Abrams as his deputy. And my opinion of Trump went up slightly when I found out that he had vetoed that request.

The media spin, of course, was that Trump was acting capriciously in nixing Abrams, doing so simply because Abrams had written something unflattering about him a few days earlier. But apparently what Abrams wrote was that Trump is similar to George McGovern, and he meant that as an insult. I would take the opposite view of that comparison.

All that said, overall I agree that Tillerson manning foreign-policy is a more reassuring prospect that Trump winging it, with his limited knowledge and experience.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But I think the vote for Angela Merkel was for being the moral leader.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say Angela, certainly for her response to the refugee crisis, but I can't quite forget her appalling and hypocritical treatment of the Greeks over their national debt, which had, in large part, been encouraged by German economic interests. Not Mrs Merkel's finest moment.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Alan Cresswell

Uh ohhh.
Capitalism is anti-democratic.
62 year old penny drops.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

A bit like the Court of Henry the Eighth. Trump comes across as a classic tyrant-bully type; there are great skills involved in controlling such types. As well as considerable risks for those who try. Not beheading of course these days, but I don't think it's a role for the faint-hearted.

No, not beheading-- too crude. Poison appears to be the preference of the current power behind the throne

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Justin Trudeau.

Canada has a lot of problems (without wanting to list them all here) but Trudeau seems to be about the only major leader keeping his head when everyone else is losing theirs.

--------------------
arse

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The American President has the leadership of the West. That's been the case since the Suez Crisis. Trump is our leader, and I can't forgive the Trump voters I don't know personally for that.

This past election has finally made me think that I might have very little in common with about half of all Americans. It gives me a pain in the gut to say it. I think I am disgusted with about half of all Americans. There is no fucking excuse for what they did in this election.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No doubt about it. During President Obama's term, there were only two political leaders on the world stage one could respect for their personal qualities, as people and as leaders. The end of his term leaves Mrs Merkel on her own.

Perhaps Justin Trudeau may rise to the occasion, but he's too recent as yet. I can't see anyone else at the moment who shows much sign of any capacity to rise to such estimation. Can you?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An American lady I know, who is unhappy with the Golden-faced One, has suggested that a possible get-out clause could be to say he is in the early stages of dementia. He would then have to stand down because of ill-health. Would there have to be a new election or would his deputy take over? As regards the 'Leader of the Free World'. Probably Dr Merkel, or if not her, Justin Trudeau.

--------------------
I can gauge your mood from your approach to food.

Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leftfieldlover:
An American lady I know, who is unhappy with the orange-faced one, has suggested that a possible get-out clause could be to say he is in the early stages of dementia. He would then have to stand down because of ill-health. Would there have to be a new election or would his deputy take over? As regards the 'Leader of the Free World'. Probably Dr Merkel, or if not her, Justin Trudeau. It might have been Tony Blair once...

--------------------
I can gauge your mood from your approach to food.

Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Would there have to be a new election or would his deputy take over?

If the President is unable to serve, the Vice President becomes President, and appoints a new VP. So in that scenario Mike Pence would be the 46th POTUS.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
The American President has the leadership of the West. That's been the case since the Suez Crisis. Trump is our leader, and I can't forgive the Trump voters I don't know personally for that.

This past election has finally made me think that I might have very little in common with about half of all Americans. It gives me a pain in the gut to say it. I think I am disgusted with about half of all Americans. There is no fucking excuse for what they did in this election.

Since '43 I'd say.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
An American lady I know, who is unhappy with the Golden-faced One, has suggested that a possible get-out clause could be to say he is in the early stages of dementia. He would then have to stand down because of ill-health. Would there have to be a new election or would his deputy take over?

If the President is unable to serve, the Vice President becomes President, and appoints a new VP. So in that scenario Mike Pence would be the 46th POTUS.
The main sticking point here is that the 25th Amendment (the means by which a demented president or one otherwise "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office" is removed from office) can only be implemented by "the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide". In other words, the cabinet Trump just appointed would have to be willing to declare him unfit for office. I can see that as the punchline of several jokes ("of course he's nuts, he appointed us!") but it seems unrealistic in practical terms.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Justin Trudeau.

Canada has a lot of problems (without wanting to list them all here) but Trudeau seems to be about the only major leader keeping his head when everyone else is losing theirs.

No. Smiley McHandsome is the leader of the of the stylish leader world. Great hair. As a Canadian...
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a interesting (and largely pedantic) side-note, if the 25th Amendment were to be successfully invoked against Donald Trump, Mike Pence would not become the President but rather the "Acting President". The 25th Amendment makes no distinction between temporary and permanent disabilities.

In the case of Trump's resignation Pence would become President, though.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
In other words, the cabinet Trump just appointed would have to be willing to declare him unfit for office. I can see that as the punchline of several jokes ("of course he's nuts, he appointed us!") but it seems unrealistic in practical terms.

Well, sure. It's not meant to be a partisan political tool. It's also worth noting that President Reagan was showing signs of early dementia in his second term, and nobody sought to remove him from office. A president would probably have to be significantly impaired and be unwilling to be "managed" for his own side to declare him unfit.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
It's also worth noting that President Reagan was showing signs of early dementia in his second term, and nobody sought to remove him from office.

Well, no formal steps were taken but it was considered.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one's perfect, of course, and even people of the moral stature and integrity of Barack Obama and Angela Merkel have had their Bad Days....

...but, if a short list of potential LOTFW could include Michelle Obama and Nicola Sturgeon, I'd be content. Feisty ladies, both, and a refreshing change from some of the self-seeking, banal, patronising, mealy-mouthed apologies for World Leaders I could think of.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Justin Trudeau.

No. Smiley McHandsome is the leader of the of the stylish leader world. Great hair. As a Canadian...
And what's with this thing between him and Ivanka?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whats the 'Free World' ? Please define. Whats 'Leadership' ? I would suggest setting a 'Good Example'. My best example of Leadership is Aung San Suu Kyi who has actually been banned from being President of Myanmar (Burma). Another Candidate is Pope Francis. Donald Trump just enjoys annoying people. I don't take him too seriously and don't suggest anyone else does. If and when he threatens Military Action then maybe's the time to get worried.
Posts: 1413 | From: Reading UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Justin Trudeau.

And what's with this thing between him and Ivanka?
Contrary to the image of him as some sort of left-wing firebrand, Trudeau is actually pretty neo-liberal when it comes to trade(this was actually the historical position of the Liberal Party before Trudeau Sr. pushed it in a slightly protectionist direction in the mid-70s). And since the US is Canada's No. 1 trading partner, this means he would regard any move toward protectionism as a threat to Canada's interests.

So, he likely wants to suck up to Trump to make sure he's always on the man's good side. And, what better way to do that than by forging an alliance with the man's beloved(and, from what I am taken to understand, somewhat influential) daughter?

One thing that's been amusing is seeing certain American liberals(yes, I'm looking at you, Slate.com), lamenting that he's somehow "validating" Trump's misogyny, racism, and all- around awfulness by being nice to him and hanging around with Ivanka.

News flash. The Prime Minister Of Canada is NOT the House Minority Leader. His job is to look after the interests of Canada, not anyone else's.

(Whether I share his views about what constitute the interests of Canada is another matter.)

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I purposely left "leader" and "free world" undefined. You need to come up with your own definitions.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garden Hermit:
Whats the 'Free World' ? Please define. Whats 'Leadership' ? I would suggest setting a 'Good Example'. My best example of Leadership is Aung San Suu Kyi who has actually been banned from being President of Myanmar (Burma). Another Candidate is Pope Francis. Donald Trump just enjoys annoying people. I don't take him too seriously and don't suggest anyone else does. If and when he threatens Military Action then maybe's the time to get worried.

He threatened war with North Korea the other day, via his silver-haired secretary of state. It was a conditional threat, but a threat nonetheless.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

He threatened war with North Korea the other day, via his silver-haired secretary of state. It was a conditional threat, but a threat nonetheless.
Maybe that's another thread. What do you do with North Korea who are aiming and launching Missiles at Japan and South Korea, presumably without Warheads. If N.K. did 'bomb' either State would the USA intervene ? I presume Trump is sabre-rattling at the moment to force China to do something.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What's wrong with being silver-haired? It's genetic, it's not an attempt to hide anthing. Much better than reaching for the bottle of X in the shower every day if you ask me.

Lots of bases to attack Trump and his cabinet, but being silver-haired is not one of them. YMMV.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

What's wrong with being silver-haired? It's genetic, it's not an attempt to hide anthing. Much better than reaching for the bottle of X in the shower every day if you ask me.

Lots of bases to attack Trump and his cabinet, but being silver-haired is not one of them. YMMV.

Nothing wrong with being silver-haired per se, but there were several media reports that Tillerson was selected to be Secretary of State because Trump (who is very concerned with appearances and presentation) thinks Tillerson looks the part. That seems an insufficient qualification.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
T's nominee for ambassador to Austria was reportedly chosen because he's seen "The Sound Of Music" 75 times.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could be worse. Could have been chosen because of love of kangaroos.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As it so happens, Fortune Magazine has solved this question. The world's greatest leader is Theo Epstein, the Chicago Cubs’ president of baseball operations.

Of course, they didn't specify the free world, but, hey, by definition he must be in the running. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For the moral leadership she showed at the time of the peak of the refugee crisis in Europe, I'd suggest Angela Merkel.

Except that that "moral leadership" consisted of putting much of the rest of the EU offside and not leading them anywhere as Germany decided to do its own thing.

Clearly many are supportive of what Germany did, but I'm not convinced that makes it into leadership.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
I purposely left "leader" and "free world" undefined. You need to come up with your own definitions.

The free world is the world where the rich are free to get richer at the expense of the poor; where the overfed are free to get fuller at the expense of the hungry; where if you have little money you're free to pay for anything and everything, but can be and do only what you're told to be and do. Two cheers for freedom!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
The free world is the world where the rich are free to get richer at the expense of the poor; where the overfed are free to get fuller at the expense of the hungry; where if you have little money you're free to pay for anything and everything, but can be and do only what you're told to be and do. Two cheers for freedom!

If one has lived one's life in a comfortable western country, it is easy to say that, or even to imagine that one really thinks that. If one has lived in a country that was a dictatorship, with a very active secret police, as I have, then for all their limitations, the phrase 'free world' represents values that should not be sneered at.

I know this sounds pompous, but it needs saying. That's one of the many reasons why Trump is such an abomination, and why those who voted for him have betrayed more than just themselves.

[ 24. March 2017, 09:00: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

Mmm. I don't know whether you intended this to be pointing at Trumpism, but to much of the world this describes the perception of "the West" anyway. Not to decry those who live in poverty in our countries whatsoever, but for many of us an accident of birth means that we get stuff many many people can only dream of.

--------------------
arse

Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Except that that "moral leadership" consisted of putting much of the rest of the EU offside and not leading them anywhere as Germany decided to do its own thing.

Clearly many are supportive of what Germany did, but I'm not convinced that makes it into leadership.

Merkel took the 1 Million refugees because Germany was incredibly short of Labour, and that was restricting production. If there was unemployment I doubt if she would have been so keen.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Merkel took the 1 Million refugees because Germany was incredibly short of Labour, and that was restricting production. If there was unemployment I doubt if she would have been so keen.
I think that shows Angela Merkel to be a moral leader. Not simply that her government took in a million refugees but, despite going through the same recession Britain has been in, there is far lower unemployment, and that has led to less hostility to refugees and asylum seekers. Then again, our government, through its friends in the press, actively fosters resentment against refugees and asylum seekers (amongst others) in a bid to boost its standing.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

Germany has got 'rich' by beggaring its neighbours particularly with the EURO. Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal and Ireland are all much poorer because of the EURO which benefits no-one accept the German Economy, - and Merkel has imposed a rigid economic system on those Countries causing Mass Unemployment and Austerity.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Germany has got 'rich' by beggaring its neighbours particularly with the EURO. Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal and Ireland are all much poorer because of the EURO which benefits no-one accept the German Economy

Which would be why the Eurozone economies are growing faster than the US and other countries. And, the economic growth in Germany is only average - Spain and Ireland have experienced much greater economic growth, the economic problems for Greece are such that they'd have struggled with the global turndown regardless of being in the Eurozone or not - and arguably maintaining a currency that held it's value helped by preventing the value of savings, pension funds etc evaporating.

The requirements on Greece, the austerity measures, were not imposed by the German government. They were imposed by the ECB, IMF and the banks that the Greek government owed money to.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

The requirements on Greece, the austerity measures, were not imposed by the German government. They were imposed by the ECB, IMF and the banks that the Greek government owed money to.

The requirements on Greece were imposed by the Greek people themselves, by their decades of underpaying taxes, overclaiming benefits, and ignoring those amongst them who were in real need.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016