homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Dead Horses.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Methodist Unrest

Source: (consider it) Thread: Methodist Unrest
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am not certain which forum is the right place for this post. Please direct it where it fits.

In the United States, the biggest branch of Methodism is the United Methodist Church. I was told recently that it may be headed for a split over the issues of gay marriage and uncloseted gay clergy. I don't know what other issues may be involved.

Has anyone heard of this possibility? Where would I look for more information?

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe it has something to do with this recent ruling of their Judicial Council?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The possibility of a split in the UMC has been a huge subject in both the Annual Conferences and the General Conference, which meets every four years, for a long time.

The article that Stetson linked to contains the concepts that I think displays one of my problems with organized religion, even though I am a member of a United Methodist Church, and purposely chose to become a United Methodist over forty years ago. This phrase: "The practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching" and this one : “Under the longstanding principle of legality, no individual member or entity may violate, ignore or negate church law…” Trying not to tread on a Dead Horse, it seems to me that the PTB of the UMC declare that their words and laws are more important than those of Jesus.

Of course I think there's much more to the threat of schism than this issue. My observation has been that many of the hierarchy of the UMC don't really care about saving souls. They care about money and possessions. If I, in my little bubble, have noticed it, I'm sure a lot more folks have done so, too.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(sigh)
In a couple years, when we actually do make our projected move from one coast to the other, I will start a thread about searching for a new church home. It is my goal (as an Anglican/ex-Episcopalian) to bypass all the church wars. Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt. I do not need to spend my declining years doing it again.
So, Methodists off the list, along with Anglicans and Episcopalians. I may wind up at the United Church of Christ after all.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Trying not to tread on a Dead Horse, it seems to me that the PTB of the UMC declare that their words and laws are more important than those of Jesus.

I don't think that's what they're saying, any more than the Pope is declaring that he's more important than Jesus when the Magisterium pronounces on some issue or other.

The hierarchy (whichever hierarchy) is declaring that it has the authority to interpret the Word of God, and that its interpretation supersedes whatever personal interpretation you might have had.

This is perhaps less familiar to Methodists than to Catholics [Biased]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you are an Anglican, how can you be 'ex-Episcopalian' ...

[Confused]

Anglicans are Episcopalians ...

Or are you ex-TEC and part of some kind of 'continuing' Anglican group?

I thought the 'continuing' types weren't particularly 'gay-friendly' as it were.

Even more confused ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Trying not to tread on a Dead Horse, it seems to me that the PTB of the UMC declare that their words and laws are more important than those of Jesus.

Of course I think there's much more to the threat of schism than this issue. My observation has been that many of the hierarchy of the UMC don't really care about saving souls. They care about money and possessions.

I don't know much about the UMC, but it should be said that 'saving souls' isn't necessarily how all leaders in the traditional congregations would describe their vocation.

Moreover, it's not evident that declaring the denomination to be uniformly in favour of SSM would either save souls or, more tangibly, increase membership or attendance levels.

If this decision is taken and accepted then it would have to be for other reasons. They may well be good reasons in their own right, but 'saving souls' is unlikely to be a significant outcome.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
If you are an Anglican, how can you be 'ex-Episcopalian' ...

[Confused]

Anglicans are Episcopalians ...

Or are you ex-TEC and part of some kind of 'continuing' Anglican group?

I thought the 'continuing' types weren't particularly 'gay-friendly' as it were.

Even more confused ...

Be happy in your ignorance, Gamaliel. Some things known cannot be unknown. At the moment the church I attend is in ACNA (horrible acronym, one always wants to type ACNE), which split off from TEC. A plague on both their houses.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So you're not Anglican as I (a member of the Anglican Church of Canada) or a member of the CofE or of the other churches of the Anglican Communion are. You're "Anglican" because the schismatic group to which your church belongs calls itself that, without regard to what the word means for the rest of the Anglican world.

Glad we've sorted that.

John

[ 08. May 2017, 19:46: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe the ACNA (Anglican Church in North America) is in communion with Canterbury but not with The Episcopal Church.

However, the Charismatic Episcopal Church calls itself Anglican, uses the Book of Common Prayer, and claims apostolic succession, but is in communion with neither Canterbury nor The Episcopal Church.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting language:
quote:
The practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching" and this one : “Under the longstanding principle of legality, no individual member or entity may violate, ignore or negate church law…
Lots of things that we all do are incompatible with Christian teaching; all that selfishness and pride and envy. 'Incompatible' is odd. Why not against? Because, I guess, they don't just think gay sex is wrong, they want to stop it, at least among church members.

Again they say that no member may violate church law. A very strong and strange phrase. Anyone, of course, can break the law (violate is a bit hysterical). So the threat of expulsion is clearly at hand for those who do.

The language betrays, to my mind, a very determined desire to control people.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amanda B. Reckondwythe wrote:
quote:
I believe the ACNA (Anglican Church in North America) is in communion with Canterbury but not with The Episcopal Church.

However, the Charismatic Episcopal Church calls itself Anglican, uses the Book of Common Prayer, and claims apostolic succession, but is in communion with neither Canterbury nor The Episcopal Church.

No: ACNA is not in communion with Canterbury, nor (as Amanda correctly surmises) with TEC, The Episcopal Church [of the United States etc]. Abp Duncan of ACNA was invited to attend the last Primates' Meeting by Abp Justin, but did not co-communicate (or vote).

ACNA is indeed, from a broader perspective, one more of many breakaway churches from historical and Canterbury-centred Anglicanism. And yes, in choosing to call themselves 'Anglican' they were taking advantage of the fact that the Canterbury church in the USA calls itself (for good historical reasons) 'Episcopal'; but this has created some complications in Canada, where the Anglican-Communion Church does call itself 'Anglican', but where ACNA is also active.

Similarly, the 'Reformed Evangelical Anglican Church of South Africa (REACH-SA)' [formerly the 'Church of England in South Africa' ] which has today Monday 8 May consecrated Jonathan Pryke, a C-of-E priest in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, as an irregular bishop for dissident C-of-E and SEC [Scottish Episcopal Church] conservative-evangelicals, is not in communion with Canterbury, nor with the Anglican Church of Southern Africa, which is a full member of the Anglican Communion. Quite where this leaves the newly-bishoped Mr Pryke with respect to his canonical obedience to the Church of England will be an interesting conundrum to explore in the coming days and weeks.

Even more interestingly and convolutedly, GAFCON did not and does not approve of this move by REACH-SA despite their own recently-stated intention to do something very similar.
Ho-hum.

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that clears the matter up (I think)! So, we have a shiny new episcopus vagans in the UK - as keibat says, it'll be interesting to see how the Diocese of Newcastle deals with him...

Referring back to the OP, though, it seems odd to an Englishman to read about Methodist bishops. Where does the Methodist Church in this country stand, in regard to the Dead Horse issue?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
So you're not Anglican as I (a member of the Anglican Church of Canada) or a member of the CofE or of the other churches of the Anglican Communion are. You're "Anglican" because the schismatic group to which your church belongs calls itself that, without regard to what the word means for the rest of the Anglican world.

Glad we've sorted that.

John

ACNA came about because Bp Duncan of Pittsburgh considered that he should be the successor to Bp Griswold as Presiding Bishop of TEC; not everyone else had that opinion. To make matter worse, not only was he not elected, but a woman, yes a woman, was. So he and some supporters went of and formed ACNA. This group is rather strange, in that Abp Jensen of Sydney was a major supporter, but ACNA covers a range of churchmanship and my understanding is that very few would be of the Sydney school. GAFCON supports ACNA.

The old Church of England in South Africa (CESA) does have some claim to being successor to the original Anglican Church in the old British colonies in what is now the Republic. By far the majority opinion in the Anglican Communion is that the claims of the Anglican Church in South Africa are the ones to be recognised and so that Church is the one in the Communion. Unlike ACNA, CESA has a pretty uniform churchmanship which has evolved over the years. It has for a long time had close links with the Diocese of Sydney and as the traditional low churchmanship of Sydney become more radical under the direction of the Moore College school, so has CESA's.

There are quite a few other groups in the US which call themselves Anglicans - many more than other parts of the world - including the one of which Shipmate PD is currently the bishop.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You can understand why I want to shake all this dust off my feet. It makes my head ache simly reading about it.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I propose we start our own: the Anglican Church of Fools. I'd be happy to stand for presiding bishop.

[And now Miss Amanda will get her wrap and scurry off as she ducks asparagus spears.]

[ 09. May 2017, 01:24: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Host
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Churches move, denominations move, people move, and this thread's moving to DH). Grab your beliefs. We're going down.

Gwai,
Purg Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016