homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » I'm starting on a journey... anyone fancy lending a hand?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: I'm starting on a journey... anyone fancy lending a hand?
A Soprano Learning to Listen
Apprentice
# 18772

- Posted      Profile for A Soprano Learning to Listen   Email A Soprano Learning to Listen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all! This is my first post though I have done a lot of lurking in the last couple of weeks.

Quite recently I have just reached out to my priest to talk about this very strange feeling that has been brewing since I was very young. After scratching the surface a bit and *finally* listening to this little thought that has been nagging and growing, after pushing it to the back of my mind, I've realised that I think I'm being called.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone would share their experiences of recognising the calling, DDO's, area wardens, BAP's and the like.

Hosts - I do hope chosen the right board to start this discussion and if not I apologise!

Posts: 14 | From: France or the UK | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Being called to what ? Priesthood ? Ministry ? Charity work ? To follow Jesus of Nazareth ? Or just a 'feeling' ? Speaking totally for myself, my Calling just means getting up every day and finding out what help I can be to the local Community and Churches. And being very careful not to ignore people who are there to help me on my Journey. Everyone's journey starts with one small step, - and don't be surprised by what you run into. As the Jewish Saying states - 'If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans for tomorrow'.
Posts: 1413 | From: Reading UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Apprentice
# 18772

- Posted      Profile for A Soprano Learning to Listen   Email A Soprano Learning to Listen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Garden Hermit:
Being called to what ? Priesthood ? Ministry ? Charity work ? To follow Jesus of Nazareth ? Or just a 'feeling' ?

Sorry I was beating about the bush wasn't I? [Hot and Hormonal] I meant Ordained ministry. I'll clarify in the OP.

You are completely right about not ignoring people and their experiences that you meet along the way. Their help is invaluable!

ETA - time frame for editing OP has elapsed [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 03. May 2017, 18:57: Message edited by: A Soprano Learning to Listen ]

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, Soprano. Welcome to the boards.

First of all, understand no matter what you end up doing, you are called, be it the bishop of the church or a garbage man of the community. Everyone is called to a ministry for the betterment of the community.

Many seminaries have discernment weekends in which interested individuals are invited to the campus to discuss what it means to become an ordained priest. You might want to check a few to see if you can plug into one. Your Diocese may also have a similar program.

There are also several spiritual discernment instruments or "Should I be a Pastor" quizes out there. Take a few of them and see what they tell you.

Finally talk about it to three of your most trusted friends. If at least two of the three say go for it, go for it.

Good luck Soprano.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Soprano, you might find some support and guidance in the Whom shall we send? thread in All Saints. Others are embarking on this same (or a similar) journey.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Soprano--

I'm a clergy woman in a different denomination in a different country so not much help with the logistics but know that I'm cheering you on from the sidelines

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Apprentice
# 18772

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Hi, Soprano. Welcome to the boards.

First of all, understand no matter what you end up doing, you are called, be it the bishop of the church or a garbage man of the community. Everyone is called to a ministry for the betterment of the community.

Thanks for the welcome and the wise words Gramps49. I've got to the stage with my priest where I've been referred to speak to the area warden but I'll definitely look into the possibility of a discernment weekend.

In regards to talking to friends I bit that bullet and went for it, they were surprised but very supportive. I think my grandfather (an Anglican Reader) was the most shocked and I have no idea what my staunchly aetheist father will say! 😂 I suppose it's not everyday a 24 year old Mum of two, pops round for a cuppa and a chat and drops a bombshell like this is it! [Yipee]

Pigwidgeon - Thanks for the link! I came across that post when I first stumbled upon SoF but for the life of me couldn't find when I came back to look for it!

Apprentice
# 18772

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Soprano--

I'm a clergy woman in a different denomination in a different country so not much help with the logistics but know that I'm cheering you on from the sidelines

Hi cliffdweller!

Thanks for your cheers I'm sure I'll need them along the way! Your post didn't show up last night for some reason... Internet in rural France isn't up to much! 😊

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to say 'welcome' to the Ship. And to affirm that Pigwidgeon's link to the 'whom shall we send' thread might be helpful.

Exciting times!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A good friend of mine is currently nearing the end of his training to be a priest and it seems to have been a long journey and a lot of hard work so very best of luck.

It's not the same as being called to ministry but there was a particular thing I knew I could do to promote tolerance and diversity at work and I took a decision not to do it for reasons of career and then God made me do it anyway, bother him. Or rather, I found myself with no choice but to do it, so I guess it was His fault.

Meaning to say that if you are truly called to do a thing by God then probably you ain't got much choice about even if it takes you a long time to realise that.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Apprentice
# 18772

Thanks Anselmina the vocations thread is really helpful!

Helen-Eva stories of all callings are great, I think it's wonderful to hear how God shapes our lives ☺

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[A Soprano

It sounds as if you are surrounded by people who all believe in the same God that you believe in. Priests profess that God is this, or that, or the other and these are stated as facts. I wonder what it is that convinces you - as presumably you are convinced that these are true? I ask this as one of the atheists around here! [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
[A Soprano

It sounds as if you are surrounded by people who all believe in the same God that you believe in. Priests profess that God is this, or that, or the other and these are stated as facts. I wonder what it is that convinces you - as presumably you are convinced that these are true? I ask this as one of the atheists around here! [Smile]

You surprise me.

You've been on the Ship long enough to know that the likelihood of even two priests, belonging to the same denomination of the same faith actually believing the same thing is pretty damn slim. Priests profess what, exactly? What is it that is being 'stated as facts'? Where is this information you are assuming has having been clearly stated, and are referring so confidently to?

Where in the poster's OP did she state what she believed about God that enables you to say with such certainty that she is surrounded by 'priests' who agree with her?

I ask, as a pragmatist, who doesn't read into her OP a quarter of the huge amount of deeply detailed information Soprano would've needed to have given for your deductions to have been reasonably substantiated.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting/

quote:
Originally posted by A Soprano Learning to Listen:
Thanks Anselmina the vocations thread is really helpful!

Yes, it's probably the best place for this topic. I see you've posted there, so I'm closing this thread to keep the conversation in one place.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Might be best to pull on the lock to make certain the shackle has been engaged.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016