homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Saturday Night Massacre Redux (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Saturday Night Massacre Redux
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back in 1973 Richard Nixon was under investigation for the Watergate break-in. Attorney General Elliot Richardson had appointed Special Investigator Archibald Cox to handle it. Cox subpoenaed the taped conversations from the Oval Office. Nixon refused and, ultimately, ordered Richardson to fire Cox. Richardson refused and resigned. Nixon then ordered Assistant Attorney General William Ruckelshaus to fire Cox, but Ruckelshaus also refused and resigned Ultimately Solicitor General Robert Bork fired Cox and the rest is history.

Now the pattern is being repeated. First, Sally Yates is fired, then Preet Bharara (US Attorney, New York District) and now James Comey (FBI Director) have all been fired for investigating Trumpwold.

The deal of it is, Comey found out about his firing from television.

And then he is fired ostensibly for bungling the Clinton investigation--when Trump praised him during the 2016 campaign. Talk about hiding behind Clinton's skirts! The real reason, it appears, is that the FBI was about to name people in the administration who had been compromised Russia.

Mr. Trump, this is not the Apprentice You cannot fire people looking into your affairs.

When Yates testified at the Senate hearing this week, she was asked why people would want to cover up. She replied it suggests someone is guilty. This certainly looks like a cover up.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"White House claims Comey’s firing was due to handling of Clinton email case" (PBS Newshour--video, audio, and transcript). "In an abrupt and stunning development, President Trump fired FBI Director James Comey Tuesday, after receiving recommendations from Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Judy Woodruff explores what we know so far with John Yang and gets reaction from John Dean, former White House counsel for President Nixon."

I heard the audio part on the radio. Judy Woodruff said, at the beginning, that they'd found out only 15 minutes before they went on air! I'm impressed that they managed to get John Dean on such short notice! (Though, given this presidency, maybe they have him on speed dial.) Anyway, good coverage on short notice.

I don't remember if this was on the Newshour or NPR's special coverage, but people are thinking that Comey may have been fired to forestall the Russia-connection investigation.

Strange times, indeed.

Oh, and I'm watching Colbert right now. He's doing a tribute to the Schoolhouse Rock cartoon "I'm just a bill". Someone--a politician, I think--mentioned that passing a bill is like that. (SR was and is a big deal, for those of us who grew up with it. When I was growing up, it was shown during breaks from Saturday morning TV cartoons. Lots of info and samples online.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I - and most people - will conclude from this that Trump is guilty of serious wrongdoing.

So when the investigations continue, eventually it will bring down his presidency. And possibly his business too.

I look forward to the situation - maybe ten years from now - when everyone looks back on this period in American history and wonders how the most corrupt man in history was ever allowed near the White House. Not that he is often near it anyway.

(Hindsight will be wonderful. In the UK, we let Jimmy Savile on a childrens ward so I am not suggesting we have the best record).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
... Mr. Trump, this is not the Apprentice You cannot fire people looking into your affairs. ...

O, but he can. He's Mr President.

Besides, Kellyanne Conway says he can. And she's blonde and has manicured teeth.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No good deed goes unpunished.

But .....

This looks like a really stupid move. Comey probably knows where all the bodies are buried. The Russian dimension probably wasn't enough to kill the Trump Presidency but a botched cover up might do the trick.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I sometimes hope T will just quit. He can't cope with not winning the popular vote, or living alone, or not being in the world he constructed for himself, or the job, or not understanding even the basics of the world or politics.

The best place for him (and the best place for the world to have him) is not in gov't. Maybe he can buy an uninhabited island somewhere.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Republican lawmakers have not reached the tipping point beyond which Trump's behaviour hurts their political ambitions.

Moral feelings do not seem to matter anymore.

The real danger is the precedent set for somebody in the future who is competent and wants to abuse the system.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stupid Watergate takes another turn.

I just hope Trump's body can take the stress. I know he has a proven track record of handling stress well, I just think that him dying in office would be a bad thing for the USA.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

I just hope Trump's body can take the stress. I know he has a proven track record of handling stress well, I just think that him dying in office would be a bad thing for the USA.

Although short of Jesus' dramatic return with full- on white horse, I'm hard pressed to think of any possible scenario where this does end well.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

His "good way of handling stress" is to get others to take the strain.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coney should just fly off to somewhere that doesn't want to extradite anybody to the USA, and blow the whistle on everything he knows....

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I'm wondering if Congress will still go through with his scheduled testimony--this week, I think.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
Coney should just fly off to somewhere that doesn't want to extradite anybody to the USA, and blow the whistle on everything he knows....

Russia?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:

Russia?
Well it worked for Snowden of course - I'm just not quite as sure that Putin will be happy to have Comey telling all in quite the same way...

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It were a joke lad. Layered and multi-target for all that is was one word.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But it isn't like Trump woke up yesterday morning and suddenly decided.
The report says quite clearly:
quote:
President Trump fired FBI Director James Comey Tuesday, after receiving recommendations from Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions .
If he was acting on the advice of the AG and the deputy AG should we not give him credit?

What would have happened had he refused that advice and then subsequently been shown that he should have listened to the advice of the two men after all? He'd have been criticised for ignoring his advisors.

And the AG is quite a powerful figure I guess?
So, not one to be ignored.
If the AG and the Deputy told Trump to sack Comey, they must have something on him.
Surely.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

quote:
It were a joke lad. Layered and multi-target for all that is was one word.

Don't worry, I got it...

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The larger and more real worry is that Sessions, certainly, and the deputy AG possibly, are in Lyin' Don's back pocket. If the DoJ is colluding with the president to hide his crimes, then we are indeed in the soup. Who shall guard the guardians?

The only real hope is November 2018. If we can flip the Congress, then a cleanup can occur. Only subpoenas, compelling sworn testimony, is going to get us to the bottom of this. We must pray that the polity (and indeed the world) can survive until then.

My great fear is that, as the pressure builds and indictments (already inevitable) become real to his mind, Li'l Donny will resort to his favorite tactic. Massive distraction, and what could be more massively distracting than a nuclear war?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
If the AG and the Deputy told Trump to sack Comey, they must have something on him.
Surely.

[Killing me]

Looking more like he may have something on all of them.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Crśsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crśsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scott Lemieux has some interesting thoughts on the Comey firing. The whole thing is worth a read and not overly long, but the main points boil down to:

1. Comey's actions during the 2016 election as accurately described in the Rosenstein memo justify his firing from the FBI.
    -
  2. This justification is a purely a pretext being used to shut down the investigation into ties between the Trump campaingn/administration and the Russian government.

quote:
If he was acting on the advice of the AG and the deputy AG should we not give him credit?

The attorney-general who is also:

1. a hand-picked Trump loyalist?
    -
  2. implicated in the Russia scandal to a degree he was forced to recuse himself from the investigation?
    -
  3. someone who claimed last October that Comey had "an absolute duty" to send the letter to Congress that is now the ostensible reason Sessions recommended Comey's firing?

That Attorney-General Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III? That's the guy you're saying we should take seriously about the Russia investigation? Just on point #2 alone, what kind of "recusal" allows the recused to recommend the firing of the head of the organization investigating their actions?

There doesn't seem to be any corruption or abuse of power so bad that someone won't take the side of the powerful and say they should be given "credit" for their self-serving actions.

[ 10. May 2017, 14:07: Message edited by: Crśsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crśsos:
what kind of "recusal" allows the recused to recommend the firing of the head of the organization investigating their actions?

My head hurts.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is from the POST: conservative pundit Jennifer Rubin issues a call to arms.
The headline says it all: "If Trump Fired Comey Over Russia He Must Go."

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mudfrog

quote:
Politico, which is a liberal leaning news source--granted, has a back story on this.

I think it is interesling that Trump's letter thanked Comey for telling him three he was not under investigation. In poker, this comment is considered a "tell," which telegraphs what is in your hand or mind.

Yet Comey, last week told the Senate his administration was under investigation. Trump fumed over this for a week. It appears that Trump ordered both the AG and the Assistant AG to give him justification for the firing. In October both Sessions and Trump praised Comey for his handling of the Clinton emails! This all smacks of the FBI investigation of Trump was getting too close for comfort.

[ 10. May 2017, 15:19: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is a free click from New York magazine, explaining Tiny Fingers' thinking on these issues. If you believe that the US government is your personal property then it all follows naturally.

This, from the POST, is an enormous and very thorough summary of the state of play to this point. All the comments and statements of importance in one handy article.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm glad I'm British.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I'm glad I'm British.

Really? What that bellend does affects the world. Oh, and Brexit.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Crśsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crśsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm glad I'm British.

Then why the unshakeable confidence in the ironclad integrity of Jeff Sessions? Is Sessions that well known in the UK, or just a subject of particular interest to you personally?

--------------------

Crśsos
Shipmate
# 238

Hey, what an amazing coincidence*!

quote:
Days before he was fired, James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, asked the Justice Department for a significant increase in resources for the bureau’s investigation into Russia’s interference in the presidential election, according to three congressional officials who were briefed on his request.

Mr. Comey asked for the resources last week from Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, who also wrote the Justice Department’s memo that was used to justify the firing of Mr. Comey this week, the officials said.

<snip>

The F.B.I. declined to comment. But Sarah Isgur Flores, the Justice Department spokeswoman, said “the idea that he asked for more funding” for the Russia investigation was “totally false.” She did not elaborate.

"Please don't fire me" Ms. Isgur Flores was heard to mutter at the end of the press conference. Yes, I'm speculating here, but I'm sure it occurred to everyone else, too.

And there's this little tidbit on timing:

quote:
Until two weeks ago, when Mr. Rosenstein took over as deputy attorney general, the [Russia] investigation was being overseen by Dana Boente, who was acting as the deputy and is now the United States attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.
So apparently one of the first things Mr. Rosenstein decided to take care of after his appointment as deputy attorney general was firing the head of the FBI. Interesting priorities.

--------------------
*The New York Times has a paywall which will let non-subscribers read ten (10) articles for free per calendar month. Only click through if you're a NYT subscriber or you want to use one of your ten monthly NYT passes reading this article.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trump is clearly more clever than Nixon. His lackeys have carried out his wishes. A friendly politburo is not going to challenge him - and even 2018 is not a foregone conclusion, for the influential right wing media are slamming liberals for whinging about the axing of Comey after they had called for it themselves - using, of course, words of no more than one syllable.

Sorry to say, to this outsider, Trump is living in a world where his shit don't stink; until enough people realize it does he is going to continue unchecked on a swathe of evil, emulating the Vladdies, Kimmies and Roddies whose naughty bits he adores.

Don't want to be sensationalist, but these are dark times. Possibly not apocalyptic-dark, but very oh shit left hand where's my right hand dark.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crśsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Trump is clearly more clever than Nixon.

But he still does his best to foist the equivalency into our minds.

Seriously, if you're in the middle of accusations of a Watergate-like cover-up, who thinks it's a good idea to stage a photo-op with Henry Kissenger?!? I think Trump is just trolling us now.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mudfrog, I've seen it that the firing was under discussion between Trump and certain very high ups for a week. Easy enough with a nod and a wink for Trump to secure a couple of letters recommending him to do exactly what he'd already decided to do. This is a very common strategy, and at use even in lowly church conflicts occasionally, God forgive us.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crśsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Trump is clearly more clever than Nixon.

But he still does his best to foist the equivalency into our minds.

Seriously, if you're in the middle of accusations of a Watergate-like cover-up, who thinks it's a good idea to stage a photo-op with Henry Kissenger?!? I think Trump is just trolling us now.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

But he doesn't seem to have the intelligence or self-restraint for a troll...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crśsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Mudfrog, I've seen it that the firing was under discussion between Trump and certain very high ups for a week. Easy enough with a nod and a wink for Trump to secure a couple of letters recommending him to do exactly what he'd already decided to do. This is a very common strategy, and at use even in lowly church conflicts occasionally, God forgive us.

Quite the tradition, in fact.

Will no one rid me of this turbulent FBI director? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

The fact that Sessions wrote a follow-up letter to the one written by Rosenstein strongly suggests collusion. Sessions had supposedly recused himself from the investigation into Russian involvement. Comey asks for more funds from Rosenstein to continue the investigation. Sessions should not have been involved in anyway.
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
The fact that Sessions wrote a follow-up letter to the one written by Rosenstein strongly suggests collusion. Sessions had supposedly recused himself from the investigation into Russian involvement. Comey asks for more funds from Rosenstein to continue the investigation. Sessions should not have been involved in anyway.

Sessions may not have had a choice: his Russian Controller may have insisted on it.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

It is actually irrelevant as to the reality of collusion with Russia in the campaign.
Comey had the audacity to investigate Cheeto. That makes the Trump angry, you won't like him when he is angry.
Trump SMASH!

with tiny fists of rage.

Ooh, a fantastic idea for a fancy dress/Halloween costume. An orange Hulk with bad hair and tiny fists!

ETA: Trump hands could be a massive money maker for a novelty company. Much less material than Hulk hands.

[ 10. May 2017, 21:35: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

There is a report now the US Attorney's office of Virginia was about to issue subpoenas on Monday for aids to Mike Flynn. I am thinking this is getting too close for comfort for the Orange One.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That makes the Trump angry, you won't like him when he is angry.
Trump SMASH!

with tiny fists of rage.

Ooh, a fantastic idea for a fancy dress/Halloween costume. An orange Hulk with bad hair and tiny fists!

ETA: Trump hands could be a massive money maker for a novelty company. Much less material than Hulk hands.

No, that's not good enough. Trump has done much worthy of criticism, much that can be attacked. His haircut and clothing is his choice, the size of his fists no more so than his the colour of his eyes, even his sexual preferences. Let's limit the attacks to what he says and does, not things beyond the control of any of us.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

--Re T & Nixon:

Someone said, on NPR today, that T makes Nixon look like an amateur.

--Re Mudfrog's "surely" (but not poking at him):

It's a losing bet to *assume* that powerful people in (Washington,) DC are attempting to do the right thing, for the right reasons, in the right way. Sometimes, at least some of them are. But with party allegiance, corruption by money and influence, other priorities...and maybe simply being overwhelmed by the whole thing, and losing touch with The Real Life Of The Average American.

That last bit is a symptom of "Inside The Beltway Syndrome"--the Beltway being a road that goes around DC.

--Re pic with Kissinger:

Whoa. Wow. [Eek!]

--And a Russian delegation is paying T a visit today. If I correctly understood the mention I just heard on the news, one among them is suspected in the Russia mess.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

GeeD:
It isn't that his hands are tiny, it is that a journalist said they were and this seems to have preturbed him.
It is the reaction, something which he is in control of, that is being prodded.

[ 10. May 2017, 22:13: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
No, that's not good enough. Trump has done much worthy of criticism, much that can be attacked. His haircut and clothing is his choice, the size of his fists no more so than his the colour of his eyes, even his sexual preferences. Let's limit the attacks to what he says and does, not things beyond the control of any of us.

Yup.

ETA:
lilBuddha--Do you really think T has control of his reactions??? And, AFAICS, there's no reason to keep repeating the reporter's comment about T's tiny hands. It gets in the way of seeing and discussing things clearly--and gives fodder to supporters who think he's being bullied.

[ 10. May 2017, 22:27: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Rudy Giuliani as a possible replacement for Comey?

I just checked my e-mail, and had a note from the Democrat mailing list. (Their site is Democrats.org, but I couldn't find the info there, so I'm pasting in the e-mail from Tom Perez.) {H/As--Hope this is ok!}

quote:
Friend --

Now that Donald Trump has fired James Comey, he gets to appoint the next FBI Director to a 10-year term.

He could pick anyone -- even, for example, a former campaign surrogate like Rudy Giuliani, who spent last night praising Trump's decision from (where else?) the lobby of Trump's new Washington hotel.

And the only check on Donald Trump's appointment would be the Senate GOP -- the same senators who rushed through the confirmations of Jeff Sessions, Betsy DeVos, and Neil Gorsuch.

That's why we MUST have an independent investigation into Trump and Russia led by a special prosecutor -- someone whose loyalties will be to the American people, not Donald Trump.

This investigation isn't about politics. It's about our national security, the integrity of our elections, and the future of our democracy. We cannot allow it to be buried by a corrupt administration and complicit Republican leaders in Congress.

Senator Ron Wyden said it best last night: "in America, the truth always comes out." This independent investigation is how we make that happen.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It would be inappropriate to make fun of the physical attributes of almost any other human being. Crooked Donald has however made a consistent practice of doing just that, for so very many years (too many examples to link to) that it seems only fair to give him some of his own back. Bullying him, hello? We are talking about the President of the United States here, not a fourth grader. What next, will you tell us that the inflatable chickens with his hairdo are unfair to him? No, it is the privilege of the less powerful to mock him. Every insult he has heaped upon the weak and the helpless shall be returned to him. And if you want a pussy hat, pm me and I'll knit you one.
In the meantime, some of these are amusing --- the Twitter reaction to Comey's firing. My favorite is: "This is the part of the movie where Comey continues the investigation as a depressed alcoholic private investigator trying to clear his name."

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roughly, the difference is that Thump still holds all the aces?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Z--

FYI: No actual URL in that link.

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Something is wrong when Trump meets the Russian Foreign Minister and Ambassador and the only press that gets to cover the meeting is the Russian Press.

Some are wondering if the Kremlin was presenting Trump with the Employee of the Month.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two things made me laugh in this thread. The first was the Henry II bit from Croesus and the second the Angry Trump email from lil Buddha, which I read in the voice of English comedian Jeremy Hardy. He's doing a great line in Theresa May as super hero at the moment: "MAKE ME STRONGER". As for the lil critics of personal attacks I say, what universe do you live in, because I live in an imperfect one where personal attacks are FUNNY. Screw the strategy, lets have a laugh before we all BURN.

I'm pretty sure I've had a go at people using personal attacks on Trump before, but that's OK because I know I'm a hypocrite. Also, and by way of contradiction, all's fair when you are funny.

Lisa Desjardins from PBS Newshour reported on my telly that Comey had started telling the relevant people around Congress that he was expanding the Russia investigation last week. This prompted me to say to my television: "Trump is a liar and a thief" in my best Gollum voice. Well, that's not strictly true. I've edited what I said to remove an ambiguity.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It would be inappropriate to make fun of the physical attributes of almost any other human being. Crooked Donald has however made a consistent practice of doing just that, for so very many years (too many examples to link to) that it seems only fair to give him some of his own back. Bullying him, hello?

You're getting into the gutter argument with that. There's more than enough to tackle him over without taking that step. It's really no better than attacking Obama because his father was Kenyan and thus Obama's skin was not of the purest white. It's a simple personal (and to me offensive) approach. Let's just look at his corruption, lets point out his gutter arguments, let's set out the lack of any coherence in what he says - in short, let's direct our attack on his incompetence as US President.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
It's really no better than attacking Obama because his father was Kenyan and thus Obama's skin was not of the purest white.

Whoa, slow your roll there. These things are not the same.
You have a point that it is personal and unnecessary, but we have been attacking his behaviour and choices, not things over which he has no control, not things historically used to oppress.

quote:
in short, let's direct our attack on his incompetence as US President.

We've been doing this as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

lilBuddha--Do you really think T has control of his reactions???

I have a history of having little control over my temper. It is not an excuse for me, why should it be for him?
quote:
and gives fodder to supporters who think he's being bullied.

When they begin reading, SOF, then it might be worth considering.

However, it is childish and there is plenty of real ammo. Still not certain I am going to stop, though.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
However, it is childish and there is plenty of real ammo.

This is my position. Playground taunts just diminish the seriousness of actual events. They make Trump critics look petty, mean, and petulant - little different to how they portray their opponent, in fact. They suggest a primary motivation of party before country and personal hatred rather than a thirst for justice and a decently governed nation. They are on the level of "Killary" and "Illary". They give ammo to the other side.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016