homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » When Seminarians are Mistaken for a Stag Party, You Know You Have a Vocations Crisis

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: When Seminarians are Mistaken for a Stag Party, You Know You Have a Vocations Crisis
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A group of (RC, I assume) came into a Welsh pub to celebrate the ordination of one of them and were asked to leave because the pub had a policy of not allowing groups from stag or hen parties, many of whom show up in costume.

The publicans realized their mistake and it all ended well but when the sight of multiple non-geriatric men dressed in clerical garb leads one to think they must be in costume and likely up to some mischief, I think 1.) the rapidly aging and dwindling population of RC priests, along with clergy of a number of other denominations, really hits home and 2.) the decline of the public role of clergy also hits home.

Maybe the publicans thought Catholic priests or seminarians are so scrupulous that they would not visit pubs at all or choose to have their celebrations in one, but, honestly, the PR of the RCC must be pretty bad for it not to be common knowledge that priests and seminarians often do drink and often do so in public establishments where alcohol is served, although it may still raise eyebrows to see them in a nightclub (not that I haven't!) - but this seems to definitely not be a nightclub from the description.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is a stag do crisis. But a case of too much rather than too little.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps also one doesn't tend to think of priests as coming in groups? It seems to be a rather solitary vocation.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They should've gone to St. Canna's. and partaken of Baptist beer, rather than drinking this Methodist stuff.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the Bish did good when he threatened to boycott the pub [Smile]

Also, who wears cassocks these days? They're so Father Brown. The Jessies I studied with all dressed in civvies.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Perhaps also one doesn't tend to think of priests as coming in groups? It seems to be a rather solitary vocation.

That would be an orgy. A synchronized one admittedly.

[ 10. August 2017, 07:39: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not synchronisation from a group of Catholic priests, surely - more likely All Saints Margaret St.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Not synchronisation from a group of Catholic priests,

Why not? They do so like the rhythm method...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
When the sight of multiple non-geriatric men dressed in clerical garb leads one to think they must be in costume and likely up to some mischief, I think 1.) the rapidly aging and dwindling population of RC priests, along with clergy of a number of other denominations, really hits home and 2.) the decline of the public role of clergy also hits home.

When I first read this story I did think it must have been a very odd sight. I don't think I've ever seen a 'group' (seven of them, in this case!!) of clergymen together in vestments, unless on church business. Certainly not just chilling out in a secular space.

And yes, I did wonder why these men weren't a lot older. Or else from some faraway continent. I hope that the parishes they go to appreciate their rare, comparatively youthful presence!

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that someone else will probably have told Svetlana but 'vestments' are the garments which certain clergy wear when celebrating liturgical rites, not what they might wear when visiting a pub, unless they are celebrating a liturgical rite there.
Put into possibly , but possibly not plainer language items of wear like a chasuble, a stole, an alb or a cope are vestments which priests of the Latin church will wear when celebrating Mass or some other church Office.
In general the garments these clerics were wearing for the visit to the pub might be described as 'clericals' or more technical a 'soutane' or a 'cassock' if it refers to a long black coat.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Svitlana for the wrong spelling of your name.
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:

In general the garments these clerics were wearing for the visit to the pub might be described as 'clericals'

They were wearing admin staff? Of course they were mistaken for a stag do.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forthview

I understand that the term can have the limited use you describe, but I did google it, and was under the impression that it can also refer to any distinctive garments that the clergy wear as part of their job. If not, then you can consider 'clerical clothing' as a more accurate replacement.

In my defence, the church I know best, the British Methodist Church, doesn't talk much about 'vestments', probably because there's little variety in what an ordinary Methodist clergyman will wear for religious occasions. Differences in clothing seem to have more to do with personal preferences and choices than with any special rules about baptism, communion or anything else.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
SpikeyNZ
Apprentice
# 13886

- Posted      Profile for SpikeyNZ   Email SpikeyNZ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

Also, who wears cassocks these days? They're so Father Brown. The Jessies I studied with all dressed in civvies.

Posts: 2 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
SpikeyNZ
Apprentice
# 13886

- Posted      Profile for SpikeyNZ   Email SpikeyNZ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Mores the pity that most don't, however cassocks haven't yet died out and there's even a bit of a come back in some RC and Anglican quarters!
Posts: 2 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeyNZ:
quote:

In my experience in recent years, cassocks can be found in two places; Anglican seminaries, and a few consciously traditional clerical communities among the RCs.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AIUI Catholic Clergy are expected to wear their collars at all times. I once turned up at an ecumenical service after a family meal clutching cassock, cassock rabat, cotta and stole and was promptly berated by a Catholic Bishop for not wearing my collar. He was dragged off by the Catholic Priest who explained, patiently, that he had no jurisdiction over the Church of England. He was later dismissed after having a long standing affair. I was rather amused that when the papers showed a picture of him with his mistress someone complained that he was not wearing his collar!

Shortly after my ordination to the Diaconate I joined friends and family for a drink in a local hostelry. There was a hen party present who burst into spontaneous applause, thinking that I was the strip-o-gram. Much to their disappointment I joined my family for a drink instead. They would have been even more disapppointed, I imagine, if I had been the strip-o-gram!

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They must have some bloody tame stag do's in Cardiff. For a stag, I'd have at least expected the cassocks to be open from ankle to waist, revealing stockings and suspenders*. (I'm assuming that wasn't actually the case.)

*(UK suspenders, not USA suspenders. That would just look silly.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016