homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Female Lord of Flies (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Female Lord of Flies
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plans for a new, all female, film of Lord of the Flies have been much criticised. The main argument seems to me to be that girls wouldn't descend into savagery in the ways that the boys did. Is this true? Is female violence really so unlikely?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't aware of this project. Interesting.

Having witnessed some pretty savage behaviour on the part of adolescent girls, I don't find it implausible. Girls are more adept at taking someone apart psychologically than are boys, but we have had criminal cases of brutal girl-on-girl violence, including one rather notable murder case in BC.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Lord of the Flies was about original sin, which knows no distinctions of gender?

If your view is that humanity sucks, then the abandoned girls' society would collapse just as surely as the abandoned boys', though perhaps not in the same way.

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think they should do 8 films
Coral Island with stereotype boys
Coral Island with girls but the same script
Coral Island with stereotype girls
Coral Island with boys but the same script
and then the same for Lord Of the Flies
(and then see what bits fit and what doesn't)

Lord Of The Flies (and Coral Island) situations I think would exist with boys and girls.
I would not be surprised though if there were some characteristic differences in the details (as an absurd example consider the various mid term implications of encountering one person of the opposite sex) I wouldn't like to guess what they are, though.

[Lord of the Flies, is a rebuttal of Coral Island, where everything works]

[ 31. August 2017, 22:36: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've mixed views. The original was about the nature of humanity, but the story is subject to the male dominated societal structure.
Whilst I do not think women are inherently better, the pressures and expectations are different. Especially in the time-frame of the original novel.
So some of the criticisms are valid. I think the concept, but rewritten for modern girls would be interesting. The original script with women substituted; not so thrilled about.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen someone claiming - on twitter - an all female lord of the flies would be the origin story for Wonder Woman, which I find mildly amusing.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which muppet's playing Miss Piggy?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not very interesting and rather silly. Girls would be just as nasty but in a different way. It's not being faithful to the writer's book. To make it convincing, it would have to be rewritten too drastically.

It's still in copyright. Golding's executors should have put their foot down and said no, rather than taken the money.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Lord of the Flies" is a remarkable book, chilling in its impact (at least on me when I first read it).

I've got mixed feelings about this proposed adaptation. If it comes about, I'll probably watch it to see how well it works. I'm inclined to think that the stereotypes about gender behaviour when there is any kind of power struggle going on, at any age, may be dissolving. But they haven't yet dissolved.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the day samurai wives were just as feared as their husbands. I guess it has a lot to do with cultural expectation.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
"Lord of the Flies" is a remarkable book, chilling in its impact (at least on me when I first read it).

I've got mixed feelings about this proposed adaptation. If it comes about, I'll probably watch it to see how well it works. I'm inclined to think that the stereotypes about gender behaviour when there is any kind of power struggle going on, at any age, may be dissolving. But they haven't yet dissolved.

It was written the year I was born and I read it when I turned sixty and it was most chilling on a hot day in Spain.

[ 01. September 2017, 10:55: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To answer the OP along the lines consistent with Lord of the Flies, I'd say that female violence is also likely and could be linked to original sin in the way that Golding linked male violence. I don't think Golding was writing specifically about male violence, he was writing about the human condition albeit through the gender bias and cultural norms of his day.

Having said that, the evidence in the world around us is that female violence is much less frequent than male violence. But that's empiric rather than a statement about original sin.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You all have minds of lofty purity. Admirable! I can see immediately why this project is planned. It is an opportunity for torn blouses, short-shorts, bloodshed while scantily clad, and possibly lesbian implications. What more could a movie want?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think Brenda is right. I was thinking of a horror film, with tawdry sex scenes, implausible plot development, scary characters, and plenty of violence, with screaming. Some kind of existential threat would be good, well, that could be men approaching in a yacht. You just need a very good shlock script-writer, and I am willing to do it.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
You all have minds of lofty purity. Admirable! I can see immediately why this project is planned. It is an opportunity for torn blouses, short-shorts, bloodshed while scantily clad, and possibly lesbian implications. What more could a movie want?

Prob'ly not if they are just changing the sex of the cast. It's a tale of late childhood.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
I don't think Golding was writing specifically about male violence , he was writing about the human condition albeit through the gender bias and cultural norms of his day.

Hmmm, unfortunately no, he was writing specifically about male violence (or at last he's on record as claiming that's what he thought he was doing). Can't find the quote at the moment but he was quite specific when people used to ask him why he hadn't had girls in the book, or written it with girls - basically he said it wouldn't work, girls wouldn't do that.

His conclusion line was along the lines that he didn't believe in equality between the sexes because women have always been superior.

[ 01. September 2017, 16:09: Message edited by: betjemaniac ]

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
quote:

Prob'ly not if they are just changing the sex of the cast. It's a tale of late childhood.
never a problem for St Trinian's....

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another possibility would be to blend it with The Fly, hence a large female fly, which predates everything else. Only trouble is, the sex would be difficult to follow.

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's Golding talking about "why boys?"

quote:
Another answer is of course to say that if you - as it were - scaled down human beings, scaled down society, if you land with a group of little boys, they are more like a scaled-down version of society than a group of little girls would be. Don't ask me why, and this is a terrible thing to say because I'm going to be chased from hell to breakfast by all the women who talk about equality - this is nothing to do with equality at all. I think women are foolish to pretend they are equal to men, they are far superior and always have been.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:

quote:
Another answer is of course to say that if you - as it were - scaled down human beings, scaled down society, if you land with a group of little boys, they are more like a scaled-down version of society than a group of little girls would be. Don't ask me why, and this is a terrible thing to say because I'm going to be chased from hell to breakfast by all the women who talk about equality - this is nothing to do with equality at all. I think women are foolish to pretend they are equal to men, they are far superior and always have been.

thanks - that's what I was failing to turn up. Relieved I remembered it accurately!

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

It's very odd to say that it's unlikely, some kind of mass female violent outbreak. How does that work? We only make films or write novels about what is likely? Yes, a man turning into a large insect is very likely, and Kafka was only doing a kind of reportage.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just finished reading The Power by Naomi Alderman. That is asking whether woman are essentially less violent and answering 'No'. It ends up all a bit female Lord of the Flies, only with more electric shocks.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Lady Macbeth is fairly shlocky, kind of Jacobean horror, with lashings of guilt.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
We only make films or write novels about what is likely?

Good stories are internally consistent. Sure - you set up some imaginary nonsense about a man turning into a fly or whatever, but everything else follows as a natural consequence of that. Suppose someone was turning into a fly because reasons. How would he feel? What would he do?

The Lord of the Flies premise is "take a bunch of ordinary school boys, and strand them on an island with an uncertain future ahead of them." The story works because it's plausible - the reader can imagine boys behaving exactly like the ones in the book.

An all-female version would presumably take a bunch of schoolgirls and maroon them in similar circumstances, and imagine how the group dynamics would develop. But this development has to be believable - the reader / viewer has to believe that schoolgirls would behave in such and such a fashion.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
quote:

You see? Pure. =Barely nubile= girls in torn blouses, scantily clad. It can't fail to sell.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are girls less likely to engage in violence of the sort portrayed? No. Girls are little shits just as much as boys.

But, as others have said, it would play out differently. I read it as being primarily about patriarchy and the violence that is behind this. In our current situation, I think an all male version would be really appropriate.

It seems a bit like a form of tokenism - having a fully female cast for the sake of it, not because it makes sense (unlike, say, the Ghostbusters, where gender is irrelevant, so a female cast is fine).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:

quote:

Maybe boys represented a scaled-down society better than girls because fewer women were active in general society than men? Eg, the little boys were, potentially, future lawyers, headmasters, politicians, businessmen, factory-owners, doctors, board-members, religious leaders etc. In Golding's era very few women, to say the least, would've occupied these roles.

Interesting idea to do a female version, if done seriously and intelligently. But not sure if it could capture Golding's vision of a scaled-down society as lived out by children, if it's only one sex. Not in this day and age. Only time will tell! I wonder, too, in what way he thought women superior to men?!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

But not sure if it could capture Golding's vision of a scaled-down society as lived out by children, if it's only one sex. Not in this day and age.

But in modern society, girls do grow up to take on all society's roles. Women are leaders, soldiers, counselors, workers, criminals, and sociopaths. We're not surprised when a woman holds any of these roles, so I don't see the difficulty of having an all-female mirror of society.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

But not sure if it could capture Golding's vision of a scaled-down society as lived out by children, if it's only one sex. Not in this day and age.

But in modern society, girls do grow up to take on all society's roles. Women are leaders, soldiers, counselors, workers, criminals, and sociopaths. We're not surprised when a woman holds any of these roles, so I don't see the difficulty of having an all-female mirror of society.
Golding's all male version of the story represented the reality of the male dominated society he lived in (with reference to the roles mentioned). In what way would a female only version of the story represent today's mixed society?

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good story or not worth doing. But it wouldn't be meeting Golding's object of portraying society writ small; because our society writ small would have to have include little boys as well as little girls, because we live in a mixed society. For example, one of the challenges of today's society is the accusation of feminisation eg, the oppressed white male, the woman-in-charge 'problem', the preponderance of females in certain professional roles 'problem' etc. One assumes that the real and ongoing societal dynamic of male vs. female is unlikely
to be represented in an all-girl version? Could be wrong though. Only time will tell, as I said.

Bring on the lesbian bloodbath!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord of the Flies was written by a school teacher. Most tachers know that girls can be much worse in their behaviour than boys.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

You need a lesbian bloodbath with a twist. I think that a Romero style shopping mall attack by female zombies could be interesting. The intellectual snobs could see it as a critique of consumerism, while the stalls would enjoy zombies being daft and scary.

Or what about zombie St Trinians? We've had zombie Jane Austen.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But it wouldn't be meeting Golding's object of portraying society writ small; because our society writ small would have to have include little boys as well as little girls, because we live in a mixed society.

Golding isn't just portraying society writ small. He's portraying society simplified and with some elements left out. Most notably he's portraying a society that has no established authority to keep order. And the bare fact that nobody is courting or raising children makes a difference even if you restrict the society to the male public.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Also, frankly, this is well-trodden ground in fiction, and is not very interesting. Here's a good example.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also, frankly, this is well-trodden ground in fiction, and is not very interesting. Here's a good example.

To be honest, that one sounds as though it has more affinities with the locked-room murder yarn than what I remember of LOTF. LOTF wasn't the leaden allegory that some seem to have made of it. We probably wouldn't be debating it now if it was.

The other point - to pick up Anselmina's observation - is that modern society has moved on since Golding wrote it. But to reflect that by introducing both sexes into the work would add dimensions that were not present in the original, at the risk of diverting the story so much it may bear little resemblance to the original. It may or may not be excellent in its own right, but the original was not about the interaction between males and females on a remote island.

My initial reaction when reading of the proposal was a dismissive "pffft!" I'm a bit more open to the idea of something that reflects on changes since the male LOTF original - a work in discussion with its inspiration if you like. But it would still be a separate work and not LOTF.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Libba Bray's novel Beauty Queens has been suggested several times as a novel that covers LotF-like territory. I don't know why Hollywood wouldn't adapt that into a movie instead, if they really feel there's a need for this.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a modern adaption of 'A High Wind in Jamaica' would be interesting. I never heard of this book until this week. I'm currently reading "The Diary of a Provincial Lady" and the book is referenced. I haven't read the novel yet, but listened to a radio play of it online and although there was a film adaption in the 1960s I think a new one could really look into themes of colonialism, gender, third culture children, violence etc. Basically it's a 1930s novel set in the the 19th century just after slavery has been abolished in Jamaica. A British and a Creole family decide to send their children by ship to England after too many natural disasters, but en route the children are kidnapped by pirates. The main character is a 10 year old girl called Emily and a major plot point is an act of violence no one would expect of a girl her age and the consequences. The story also involves sexual abuse or possible statutory rape of another female character so that would need to be dealt with sensitively, but I think it would be really interesting to see how modern film makers approached the story.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mili--

The 1965 film is good, though sometimes very disturbing. I didn't realize it was that old, though. I would've guessed maybe the '80s. Haven't read the book.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know the book pretty well. I haven't seen any of the film versions.
The main problem I foresee is that LOTF isn't just about boys becoming violent when left to their own devices; it includes tribalistic instincts, class divisions, planning versus instant gratification, and isolation of victims. How those themes play out would not easily translate to an all-girl group. Girls at that age (IMHO) operate very differently from boys with the way they divide into groups. It might well end with violence but there would be a lot more discussion than the boys had, and a lot more factions, and the victims would probably be pawns of the factions and less isolated.
It sounds an interesting project but I'm not sure I want to see it

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
But it wouldn't be meeting Golding's object of portraying society writ small; because our society writ small would have to have include little boys as well as little girls, because we live in a mixed society.

Golding isn't just portraying society writ small. He's portraying society simplified and with some elements left out. Most notably he's portraying a society that has no established authority to keep order. And the bare fact that nobody is courting or raising children makes a difference even if you restrict the society to the male public.
A valid point well put.

Wouldn't it be a shame if this thread turns out to be more interesting than the proposed movie!!

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will there be an LGBTGI version next, I wonder?

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

The trouble is, an earnest recreation of the original might very well be mega-boring. After all, Golding was a creative genius, who was probably not in control of his own material.

It might take another genius to produce an interesting female version, something like Jean Rhys and her prequel to Jane Eyre.

I also thought that Bergman could do something interesting, dark, full of suspicion and jealousy and hatred, but he's dead.

Also Angela Carter, but she's dead. Oh well, we await another maverick.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With everything so retro these days, I don't think Hollywood would be interested in a maverick if one jumped and bite it on the backside.
There does seem to be a firm female viewing market for situations where other females are the victims of violence, usually with the male as the perpetrator. Not sure if this remake will push buttons on that score.

Wasn't Lord of the Flies a post Holocaust thought experiment? Something where Golding himself struggled to come to terms with those awful atrocities and set out to explore the origins of human evil.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
Will there be an LGBTGI version next, I wonder?

I doubt it - or rather, I would have grave reservations about such a project. It seems to me that part of the force of Flies is that sex never intrudes. These are angelic innocent children - most of them actually choirboys, the sort that Granny likes to watch at Christmas. And yet, even inside such purity, terrible evil is present. If the participants were old enough to be sexually aware the story would be a lot less shocking.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

LOTF does rather blow out the sentimental notion of being born good and having the World make us bad.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What a bizarre concept. Born positively morally developed?!

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Born with an urgent need for food, warmth and security. Grow and develop to seek the very same things but in a vastly more complex manner.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aye, nothing good or bad about it.

--------------------
Love wins

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
LOTF does rather blow out the sentimental notion of being born good and having the World make us bad.

That is its premise. It is not a proof. And it is incomplete even there. Children are not blank slates at the ages in the book, they are already informed by the "World".

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fictional novels can't be about proving anything. Having already got Golding wrong about the boys vs girls thing, perhaps I should be more hesitant to opine about what Golding intended regarding society.

I've always read it as a comment on human nature rather than society. The point being that humans have violent impulses that are restrained by societies and civilizing orders.

If Golding thought that the book wouldn't work with girls it would be interesting to think about why. It is certainly empirically true that female violence is less frequent than male violence, but not that it is negligible or near-absent. Original sin (which I'd read into Golding's view before) is surely applicable across gender, but perhaps the expression changes.

So a female LOTF would need to focus on the differing expression to be contributory.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:

If Golding thought that the book wouldn't work with girls it would be interesting to think about why.

Yes, his "women are superior" comment doesn't necessarily mean what it says.
quote:

It is certainly empirically true that female violence is less frequent than male violence, but not that it is negligible or near-absent. Original sin (which I'd read into Golding's view before) is surely applicable across gender, but perhaps the expression changes.

So a female LOTF would need to focus on the differing expression to be contributory.

It is well possible that the differences in violence are cultural, rather than inherent. But we are products of our culture, even at the ages depicted. So, unless you believe people will be as savage as possible, there are multiple factors which change the depiction other than biological sex. Unless the remake changes only that. e.g same time period as the original.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016