homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » If Hatred Isn't Acceptable, Then What Do We Do About Hateful People? (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: If Hatred Isn't Acceptable, Then What Do We Do About Hateful People?
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Theo Padnos said on BBC's first class HARDtalk, send ISIS chocolate.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found myself thinking about this while up at the Cathedral for Evensong. Once again, one of the nasty Psalm verses was left out, because we cannot condone asking God to be vengeful. But then what are we supposed to do in the face of unimaginative evil? Luvvy duvvy Christianity is all very well when things are going well, but sometimes the strong arm approach simply has to be invoked.

Or are we all to become the modern version of Neville Chamberlain?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once war had been declared chamberlain said that it would be waged until the nazi Party and it’s minions were completely destroyed.
That snowflake turned into a hailstone when the climate turned. The same is true now.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I found myself thinking about this while up at the Cathedral for Evensong. Once again, one of the nasty Psalm verses was left out, because we cannot condone asking God to be vengeful. But then what are we supposed to do in the face of unimaginative evil? Luvvy duvvy Christianity is all very well when things are going well, but sometimes the strong arm approach simply has to be invoked.

Or are we all to become the modern version of Neville Chamberlain?

But there is a huge difference between passive accommodation of evil and organized, sustained, non violent resistance. Pacifism ≠ passivity.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
It's an effort but it's always possible to recognise someone's fellow humanity and to hold in balance the knowledge that they need to be brought down HARD for the good of everyone else.

The OP and many of the responses on this thread assume a distinction between "decent" people and "evil" people, a distinction that isn't well justified. I think a lot of us, including me, would do well to consider the possibility that under the right circumstances, we could do some pretty terrible things.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I think a lot of us, including me, would do well to consider the possibility that under the right circumstances, we could do some pretty terrible things.

I think that's right. I'm wondering too if we're most likely to react with hatred towards people committing acts we think we would never do, or people committing acts we fear we could do?

I'm aware in my case that I have a particularly visceral reaction when I read about parents who have abused and/or neglected their own children to death. This became much more pronounced after I became a mother (more than 11 years ago), when I would find myself reading case coverage in the news and really burning with anger. But I'm not sure if this is because I'm convinced I never could be capable of this or because I fear that I could, in different circumstances.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
"What do we do?" presupposes there is something you can do to or for hateful people that will change them.

Maybe there are two different cases here. There are the people you know - family, work colleagues, fellow members of your sports club, music society, whatever. And then there are the people you only read about / hear about in the media.

The people who you only read/hear about - you don't know them. You may hate what they've reportedly said or some, you may not be able to imagine how a decent person could possibly say or do that, but you don't know them. Your imagination is inadequate. The tempting conclusion that they must be twisted evil hateful horrible people is based on inadequate data. Go ahead and hate what they've reportedly done, but keep an open mind to the possibility that they're not quite as black as they're painted. That is the sin/sinner distinction.

On the other hand, there are the people you do really know. And maybe they really are rotten to the core. You know them; I don't. But you have some small level of influence over them & whether they improve or not...

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, when I wrote the OP I was not thinking at all about reforming the hateful person. I'm working under the assumption that the people in question are beyond reform by any mortal means. The first of the question is, what do we do internally with our rage.

Also: I know that it's the pious and theologically correct thing to say, "All have dinner and,fallen short of the glory of God," and also an observable psychological/ sociological fact that, given certain sets of circumstances, most of us can be led to do terrible things -- but the fact is that most of us don't do horrific things. And the people I am thinking of right now as being absolutely despicable people, aren't doing their evil deeds under any kind of physical or psychological duress. They are doing them gratuitously and happily.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
"All have dinner and,fallen short of the glory of God," ...

I assume this was unintentional, but it's superb.

--------------------

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm working under the assumption that the people in question are beyond reform by any mortal means...

...the people I am thinking of right now as being absolutely despicable people, aren't doing their evil deeds under any kind of physical or psychological duress. They are doing them gratuitously and happily.

You're probably right not to be specific about who they are, so as to focus on your reaction to the evil you perceive in them. The downside is that some of the comments I or others may make may relate to different situations.

I guess what I'm wondering is where the boundary lies between being a despicable person, and being an ordinary person in the grip of a despicable idea.

On the basis that all I can offer is the cliche that it's OK to hate the idea...

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
It's an effort but it's always possible to recognise someone's fellow humanity and to hold in balance the knowledge that they need to be brought down HARD for the good of everyone else.

The OP and many of the responses on this thread assume a distinction between "decent" people and "evil" people, a distinction that isn't well justified. I think a lot of us, including me, would do well to consider the possibility that under the right circumstances, we could do some pretty terrible things.
Ultimately only God can judge. But, from a practical point of view, if people are doing bad things someone has to stop them. The fact that we might be in a "there but for the grace of God scenario" doesn't alter the fact that it might be our responsibility to do something about it.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree! Silence and inaction is not an option; we have to stand up to evil.
For example, here's an action plan for an issue that is currently getting a lot of attention.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I expect most people have heard about the Milgram and Zimbardo experiments. A quick Google search will explain for anyone who hasn't come across these notorious pieces of research and their results.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I can't be too angry at the thief who ransacked my house because I occasionally have covetous feelings I don't act on, and if I were desperate or in a controlled experiment about deference to authority I might steal things too"?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there an issue of definition here? Passing anger isn't what I think of as hate, but I accept that it could be described that way. I think of hate as a deep seated and abiding anger, an intense and overwhelming feeling that ebbs and flows in intensity but is always there.

I really really disagree with the idea that there are people in the world who meet this criteria:

quote:
And the people I am thinking of right now as being absolutely despicable people, aren't doing their evil deeds under any kind of physical or psychological duress. They are doing them gratuitously and happily. (said LutheranChk)
The only people I can think of who are like this are Dick Darstardly and Mutley from the cartoon Whacky Racers, and Mutley isn't even human. Are there really and truly people like this? Can you give a real-life example like maybe the guards at Abu Ghraib? (I don't reckon they fit, but are there others?)

I reckon thinking that people are like this makes it easier to hate them. It might be that hating a person makes it easier to believe that they are doing what they are doing gratuitously and happily.

HOWEVER I have not been a victim of a serious crime, I have not seen the pain of a loved one who has been the victim of a serious crime, and I have not suffered in war. I might think differently if I had.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Hitler. Stalin. I can list a lot more.

If you can't imagine feeling sustained hatred for an evil individual -- if you can't even define an evil individual -- then you must exist on a far more enlightened plane than I do.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are not a citizen of the US, I take it, Simontoad. We have a nice example for you.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, all the dead bogeymen, how can any of us know what went on in their heads? How can any of us know whether they committed their evil acts gratuitously and happily?

Also, we only see their characters through the lens of history. Surely our hatred, unless we lived through the horrors they initiated, can only be intellectual hatred of their deeds.

I thought you'd hit me with one of those men who kidnapped and imprisoned girls over many years. There's an Austrian one and an American one I can recall. But that's just it for me. What they did was despicable, but I don't brood over it.

Brenda, which American nightmare are you talking about? Weinstein? Trump? David Duke? that bloke who runs the NRA? Roger Ailes? Rupert Murdoch? (yes, he's yours now), the executives who direct their organisations to rape the planet for profit? oh there are so many... but trust me. America does not have a monopoly on these people. They are everywhere.

These are all political hatreds, intellectual hatreds. They are not like hating your torturer.

--------------------
Human

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, all the dead bogeymen, how can any of us know what went on in their heads? How can any of us know whether they committed their evil acts gratuitously and happily?

They didn't kick puppies, it isn't "mummy didn't love me enough, so now I shall be a bit of a dick at work". Mass murder, torture; evil. Who gives a fuck if Hitler might not have felt a thrill when directing the slaughter of millions?
quote:

Also, we only see their characters through the lens of history. Surely our hatred, unless we lived through the horrors they initiated, can only be intellectual hatred of their deeds.

When one can still speak to their victims, one's vision must be truly myopic for the lens of history to be very dim.
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

HOWEVER I have not been a victim of a serious crime, I have not seen the pain of a loved one who has been the victim of a serious crime, and I have not suffered in war. I might think differently if I had.

I think I hated more before any experience became personal. Empathy and all that.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been quite a few attempts to understand the thinking and emotional make-up of Ian Brady who considered it an 'amusing philosophical exercise' to torture and murder small children on the Moors in the 1960s. And there are some fairly sophisticated studies on the development and self-understanding of sociopathic personalities and psychopathy. I've read through a number of essays -- not just pathologising -- that have perceptive insights into the character and behaviours of Trump and his supporters.

None of which helps some of us deal with the painful and frustrating feelings of anger, hatred, revulsion, helplessness we feel when we read through those overwhelming numbers of #MeToo posts about the prevalence of abuse, or wake up to find another gross and offensive outburst from Trump.

These fierce visceral feelings of outrage and hatred may be appropriate in some ways, whether or not I call myself Christian. But they are hard to deal with day after day and faith doesn't offer much of an immediate answer, not in the short term. This reminds me of how long it takes after war for horror and grief to abate.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we perhaps confusing anger and revulsion, and indeed defence and protection, with actual hatred?

When I speak of hatred, I'm thinking of the sort of hatefests where people talk about how much they hope some criminal will suffer in prison, how they hope he'll get beaten up ever day; a vindictive desire to see the person suffer as much as possible.

That is something I've never resonated with, and actually find very disturbing when people talk that way.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not the easiest word to pin down. Looking at the OED online:

verb
[with object]

1 Feel intense dislike for.
‘the boys hate each other’
‘he was particularly hated by the extreme right’

1.1 Have a strong aversion to (something)
‘he hates flying’
with infinitive ‘I'd hate to live there’

1.2 with infinitive Used politely to express one's regret or embarrassment at doing something.
‘I hate to bother you’
1.3 hate on informal no object Express strong dislike for; criticize or abuse.
‘I can't hate on them for trying something new’

noun
mass noun

1Intense dislike.
‘feelings of hate and revenge’

1.1 as modifier Denoting hostile actions motivated by intense dislike or prejudice.
‘a hate campaign’

1.2 informal count noun An intensely disliked person or thing.
‘Richard's pet hate is filling in his tax returns’

Origin

Old English hatian (verb), hete (noun), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch haten (verb) and German hassen (verb), Hass ‘hatred’.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Karl: Perhaps not the current Internet aggression du jour, " I hope you die in a fire" (which at least I wouldn't wish on anyone), but "The world is worse off for you being in it," definitely. And I actually believe that about the selected persons I'm thinking of.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Karl: Perhaps not the current Internet aggression du jour, " I hope you die in a fire" (which at least I wouldn't wish on anyone), but "The world is worse off for you being in it," definitely. And I actually believe that about the selected persons I'm thinking of.

Oh, aye, there's no doubt it's a simple objective fact that the world doesn't benefit from some people's presence. The question I suppose is whether we'd ultimately hope that they suffer, painfully, or would come to a form of redemption. I think that the sort of hatred we're meant to shun is the "I hope you die in a fire" type; it's declaring (contra the Gospel, which is perhaps the point) that that person is beyond redemption, or should be denied access to it, whilst we somehow "deserve" it, although "deserving" grace and forgiveness is by definition a contradiction in terms.

I don't think the "he who hates his brother is a murderer" prohibition on hatred is an arbitrary or simply challenging dictum. I think it's rooted in the NT idea of our need for redemption, and the idea that some people can uniquely not deserve it. By definition no-one does. It's offered because God's nice like that, if you'll excuse the phrasing. That's not to say that everyone's equally bad; I think that's a misunderstanding of the concept. If we give into hatred, we have to deny our own need of redemption, because we are in essence saying "I deserve God's favour, you do not."

[ 18. October 2017, 13:40: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

I don't think the "he who hates his brother is a murderer" prohibition on hatred is an arbitrary or simply challenging dictum. I think it's rooted in the NT idea of our need for redemption, and the idea that some people can uniquely not deserve it. By definition no-one does. It's offered because God's nice like that, if you'll excuse the phrasing. That's not to say that everyone's equally bad; I think that's a misunderstanding of the concept. If we give into hatred, we have to deny our own need of redemption, because we are in essence saying "I deserve God's favour, you do not."

The late and very very wise Glen Stassen wrote brilliantly on the Sermon on the Mount, and had some helpful insights on this as well. He points out first of all the point already made that the SoM is shifting from an external ethic (doing the right external actions) to an internal ethic (the heart as the source of those actions). That doesn't mean action isn't important-- it's not all "Jesus and me"-- because action is key-- but the point is that it all flows from the heart. When we begin with the action side, holiness takes effort, struggle-- there can be a nobility in that, but it is human effort, without the gift of the Spirit. With the transformation of the heart thru the Spirit, the actions are simply the natural outgrowth of the heart attitudes. Doesn't mean it isn't still difficult, but it's a different kind of difficulty.

In terms of hate in particular, Stassen points out how Jesus connects hate with murder. Stassen suggests that every human genocide begins by "dehumanizing" the other. The language of the Nazis about the Jews, the language in the Rwandan genocide-- the "other" are "insects", "rodents'-- variations on "non-humans". In American slavery, slaves were literally counted as 3/5 human. Stassen suggests there is an innate resistance in the human soul to murder. In order to overcome that, we must first hate & demean our enemy, then hold them in contempt, and finally come to consider them (even subconsciously) sub-human-- all internal processes necessary before you get to the point of picking up a hammer to bash the guy over the head.

So instead of walking around all day under the "Law"-- having to think over and over again "don't kill him-- just don't kill him-- oooh, I hate him so much! I want him dead-- but don't kill him!" Instead, if I can replace hate with love I don't have to obsess about not killing him because killing him is antithetical with love.

Very good in theory but perhaps more challenging in real life!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I think I hated more before any experience became personal. Empathy and all that.

OK to hate on another's behalf but not OK to forgive on another's behalf ? Maybe that's the sort of empathy we could do without...

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

OK to hate on another's behalf but not OK to forgive on another's behalf ? Maybe that's the sort of empathy we could do without...
yeah, because that is what I said. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been taught to pray for the people I dislike/hate/fear. I have also been taught that it is OK at first to pray that they die a horrible death over a long period of time.

It is OK to pray that because experience is that praying for someone after a while becomes prayer for their well being.

That is a different thing than being passive while another human, or animal, or this planet, is hurt by someone acting badly. Then you try to stop them and heal the hurt if you can.

At the same time, for me at least, it is like I was taught about raising my kids: Tell them you dislike what they did, not that you dislike them.

I am reading an awful lot of theory about what to do about a hater. If you are going to disapprove of someone, how does that play out?

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

The late and very very wise Glen Stassen wrote brilliantly on the Sermon on the Mount, and had some helpful insights on this as well. He points out first of all the point already made that the SoM is shifting from an external ethic (doing the right external actions) to an internal ethic (the heart as the source of those actions). That doesn't mean action isn't important-- it's not all "Jesus and me"-- because action is key-- but the point is that it all flows from the heart. When we begin with the action side, holiness takes effort, struggle-- there can be a nobility in that, but it is human effort, without the gift of the Spirit. With the transformation of the heart thru the Spirit, the actions are simply the natural outgrowth of the heart attitudes. Doesn't mean it isn't still difficult, but it's a different kind of difficulty.

In terms of hate in particular, Stassen points out how Jesus connects hate with murder. Stassen suggests that every human genocide begins by "dehumanizing" the other. The language of the Nazis about the Jews, the language in the Rwandan genocide-- the "other" are "insects", "rodents'-- variations on "non-humans". In American slavery, slaves were literally counted as 3/5 human. Stassen suggests there is an innate resistance in the human soul to murder. In order to overcome that, we must first hate & demean our enemy, then hold them in contempt, and finally come to consider them (even subconsciously) sub-human-- all internal processes necessary before you get to the point of picking up a hammer to bash the guy over the head.

So instead of walking around all day under the "Law"-- having to think over and over again "don't kill him-- just don't kill him-- oooh, I hate him so much! I want him dead-- but don't kill him!" Instead, if I can replace hate with love I don't have to obsess about not killing him because killing him is antithetical with love.

Very good in theory but perhaps more challenging in real life!

Top post.

I have an image in my head of a young black girl walking to a forcibly desegregated school through a crowd of white people screaming at her while she prays for them. I'm not sure if its fictional, or a mash-up of shows I've seen on the civil rights movement.

In any event, I hated a bloke this morning when he got difficult about moving his car. The feeling was gone almost as soon as I left work and now, maybe 3 hours later, I can wonder whether it was hate or anger mixed with frustration, or both.

--------------------
Human

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

If you think what I'm talking about is equivalent to " hating" someone who cuts ne off in traffic or stolen my parking space, then I fear I have apparently not communicated my question, or the level of evil demonstrated by individuals I'm thinking of, very clearly at all.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I thought you were looking for a way to stop hating people who are really evil.

--------------------
Human

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Well, equating them to poor drivers isn't really going to do that. And I'm not in fact sure that " stopping hating" is possible in some circomstances. Managing it, yes, advice is appreciated.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

And I'm not in fact sure that " stopping hating" is possible in some circomstances. Managing it, yes, advice is appreciated.

I cannot manage my anger, so I can't give you much help on how to manage hate. I think I gave up hate because it is both too much wasted effort and because it allows the hated a victory, even should they not know of it. Maybe not victory, so much as control or effect. And I am a stubborn thing, so perhaps rejecting hate is more one bad habit evicting the other than any self-control on my part.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

You know that saying, " Let your haters be your motivators"? I'm trying very hard to leverage my rage at the people in question into energy that helps people hurt by them and to oppose everything they do, but sometimes it feels like re- arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Russ
Old salt
# 120

quote:
If you think what I'm talking about is equivalent to " hating" someone who cuts ne off in traffic or stolen my parking space, then I fear I have apparently not communicated my question, or the level of evil demonstrated by individuals I'm thinking of, very clearly at all.

I thought you were talking about hating Hitler.

But it seems to me entirely possible to recognise that objectively Hitler did many very evil things, without feeling any personal hatred.

And conversely to have strong negative feelings for political opponents while recognising that objectively they are well-meaning people doing what seems to them right and just.

The correlation between level of evil and level of feeling isn't there. The heart may wish to see someone die a painful death and rot in hell for eternity while the head knows they don't deserve it. Or vice versa.

Which is sort of back to lilBuddha's point about empathy.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
You know that saying, " Let your haters be your motivators"? I'm trying very hard to leverage my rage at the people in question into energy that helps people hurt by them and to oppose everything they do, but sometimes it feels like re- arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

As said upthread, anger/rage/hate are difficult to separate definitionally. For me anger and rage are on a different line that hate. I have felt anger, and even rage, towards people I like. Hate, for me, is an extension of dislike. This helps me separate that anger. Bother, I don't know how much help I'm being. It isn't a completely though out philosophy, so I am struggling to articulate it.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

The things that helps me with my hate are:

1. an acknowledgement that I don't really know enough about the person I am hating. This helps especially with people I see on the telly.

2. I am well on top of my own failings and potential for wrongdoing, or at least I have the appalling hubris to think I am. I'm constantly checking myself for arrogance in particular. Knowing that my own person has some good and some really bad helps to try and stop judging people. This self-checking can be emotionally destructive, but I'm kind of used to it because I have to do self-checking of my mood to (paradoxically) maintain good mental health.

Thanks for posting this question LutheranChk.

--------------------
Human

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate maybe equals a state of 'being'. Written something, someone, some group, off completely. The mind has closed as in a prejudgment or prejudice. The damage is done.
Anger and rage are like more active, ongoing, fluid. Good or bad may come from it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
AmyBo
Shipmate
# 15040

- Posted      Profile for AmyBo   Email AmyBo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only truly hated one person (my rapist ex), to the point where it did damage to my well-being. It took therapy, time, and a lot of help from friends who validated my feelings.

Now that I know how much it hurt me, I work hard not to let negative feelings build up like that. Finding something, anything, humanizing about the object of my scorn helps. And then there are those who just aren't worth the effort, straw dogs.

Posts: 122 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I consider it a victory if I can spend a decent block of my waking hours without thinking of these people, which is difficult because of their ubiquitous media presence. On the other hand, I feel that as a conscientious citizen I can't just bury myself in my personal life and pretend these people don't exist, because they do, and their existence has negative consequences for everyone.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These people do exist. Variations on the theme of awful people have existed in our history until humankind knoweth not to the contrary.

Variations on the theme will exist until all of life on earth is snuffed out by some cosmic cataclysm.

It is just the way it is.

Why would you dignify them by giving them free rent in your head?

If you want to do something about them - do it. Then, whatever the outcome, you will have done what you can do.

Otherwise, how are you helping yourself by thinking about them?

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I got really shitty about Australia's policy on Asylum Seekers a long time ago, and I trusted our centre-right Labor Government to treat them humanely. They didn't, and I stewed. Then the Copenhagen Climate Change conference fell over, and I kind of threw my hands up in the air. I was watching telly and I saw a story of some young hotheads who stopped a coal train on its way to port. I thought, "I can't do that, but I can probably join the Greens."

There was a particular politician who I was very angry with at that time and for quite a while after, as he had cried in Parliament when the other side had set up an offshore detention system, abolished it in Government, and then a year or so later reinstated it. So I hated on Chris Bowen bad. It was his hypocrisy, I said, that I hated most of all.

So I joined the Greens and got involved and started doing letterbox drops for them and handing out how to vote cards. But to be honest, it didn't help. I just got to share my hatred of Chris Bowen with like-minded individuals.

Then some years ago I started taking a bit more notice of the Greens' policy on foreign affairs and peace. I'd pushed it to the back of my mind till then, but really, I am very much opposed to this part of their policy manifesto. So I left formal membership of the party, but continue to pitch in at election time.

I was talking to my wife about it after this, and she mentioned that she didn't think Bowen had cried in Parliament at all. That seemed to change things for me, emotionally. He was a hypocrite, but he hadn't cried... I still seethe when I see him on TV, but I don't feel the need to destroy things anymore. Really, I think it was time and the advent of even more hateful policy that allowed me to be free.

--------------------
Human

Russ
Old salt
# 120

quote:
I consider it a victory if I can spend a decent block of my waking hours without thinking of these people, which is difficult because of their ubiquitous media presence.

So you're not actually talking about Hitler and Stalin then. You're talking about your political opponents, whom you choose to compare to Hitler and Stalin as a way of expressing your dislike of their policies.

Are they hate-filled, motivated by hatred ? I suggest that you have no idea - you don't know them well enough, personally enough, off camera.

In calling them "hateful" you're projecting your feelings into them, treating the badness as an attribute of them as people, rather than an attribute of the ideas that they hold or an attribute of your feelings towards those ideas.

It's something many of us struggle with, but my tuppenceworth is that that sort of projection isn't healthy.

You're asking us "what do I do with my feelings of hate ?" And I don't know much of the answer, but part of it will be owning those feelings as something that says vastly more about you than it says about those whom you hate. Who are your fellow humans misguided, not demons.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The first of the question is, what do we do internally with our rage.

I think that is the key question. Rage is something which happens to us, and we have to take responsibility for that happening.

One of the things we know is "act in haste, repent at leisure". We also talk about "the heat of the moment". And rage can provoke us to act in haste, do things which we will regret.

So controlling rage, managing our anger, are matters of personal responsibility. But having achieved that, actually no small feat, there may still be within us a sense of injustice about the behaviour of others. And that is completely justified. People commit acts of inexcusable cruelty, and I think it is wrong to excuse those acts, minimise their wrongness.

RuthW is also right; we may underestimate our own propensity to do inexcusably cruel things, given sufficient pressure or provocation. "It is unwise to drive anyone beyond a certain point". It is also unwise to underestimate the power of self-righteousness, also to push us in that direction. "Killing's too good for them".

So it seems to me right to focus on justice, which needs to be administered impartially and coolly. When angry and bitter about hateful deeds, I think it better to delegate justice to folks less emotionally engaged than I am. And that way avoid confusing vengeance with justice.

Human justice is an imperfect process. There are plenty of cases where people, deeply wronged, are justified in believing those who have hurt them, or their friends/relatives, have not been subject to the demands of justice. Yet it seems to me to be better to leave justice in the hands of others. We may get closure that way.

Forgiveness is a personal decision. Personally, I would never talk glibly about the imperative to forgive. Right now, I am really struggling with this issue, after experiencing some inexcusable behaviour from someone I thought I could trust. It's easy to be glib if you're not on the receiving end. Even though I don't think I will ever trust this person again, I think forgiveness may free me from the danger of bitterness. I just can't get there right now. Maybe later.

I'm grateful to LutheranChik, not for the first time on these boards, for airing a genuinely difficult issue and allowing space for folks to talk about what it is really like for them.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
quote:
I consider it a victory if I can spend a decent block of my waking hours without thinking of these people, which is difficult because of their ubiquitous media presence.

So you're not actually talking about Hitler and Stalin then. You're talking about your political opponents, whom you choose to compare to Hitler and Stalin as a way of expressing your dislike of their policies.

Are they hate-filled, motivated by hatred ? I suggest that you have no idea - you don't know them well enough, personally enough, off camera.

In calling them "hateful" you're projecting your feelings into them, treating the badness as an attribute of them as people, rather than an attribute of the ideas that they hold or an attribute of your feelings towards those ideas.

It's something many of us struggle with, but my tuppenceworth is that that sort of projection isn't healthy.

Projection isn't healthy, but I don't think that's what's going on here. We can and will make observations about others and draw conclusions. That can go off the rails if we make too many assumptions or hold too firmly to first impressions w/o being open to new information. But observation/evaluation is key to learning. And it is essential to self-preservation, especially when it comes to people in power.

When it comes to the current POTUS and his appointees, for example, there is a pattern that can and should be observed. Among many things that have been observed, one that has been recently noted by none other than a former president of his own party: "casual cruelty". There IS a pattern of observable behavior that makes harsh and extreme decisions that seem to serve no purpose other than to create suffering. We can see this in the details of the enforcement of the travel ban, immigration policy/DACA, health care reform. Even if you agree in theory with the policy changes, each has been enacted in ways that seemed designed to create maximum pain and suffering (e.g. separating children from parents, detaining elderly, etc). And each revelation of suffering has been met with a large degree of callousness, if not delight. Detailing all the evidence for this would be a thread in and of it's own right. But I would suggest that "casual cruelty" Is as effective a measurement of "hatefulness" as you're apt to get.

A recent article made what I found a helpful insight: "name-calling" is wrong/unhelpful, but "naming"-- effective descriptive truth-telling-- is essential. I recognize the line between "name-calling" and "naming" may be very blurry and prone to bias, but that is true of most things that are really valuable.

Where I would agree with your comments is that projection is not healthy, and indeed, I think that's what LC Is getting at with her question. But I would suggest the problem is the other way around-- that the danger of "naming" is that we notice, attend to, and perhaps even obsess over the things we have just named. The old saying "choose your enemies carefully for you shall be like them" holds true here-- the danger of becoming hateful about the hateful and thereby dehumanizing them in the same way they have dehumanized others. I don't think that is a reason to avoid "naming"-- I think truth-telling is absolutely vital right now, more than ever. But we have to do so carefully, in a way that carefully attends as well to our own emotional/spiritual health. I believe that's what LC's question is getting at. I know it is mine.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

I'm grateful to LutheranChik, not for the first time on these boards, for airing a genuinely difficult issue and allowing space for folks to talk about what it is really like for them.

Yes, this.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Yes, this.
Me too, I've found this thread moving and helpful.

One of the most intense bouts of hatred I endured for a long time was towards the husband of a close friend. He would hit her regularly and she would confide in me. She'd joke about it, minimise it (even a broken arm at one point) and then she'd make me promise not to tell anyone. I was young and quite immature, she was someone I'd known at school. Many nights I lay awake planning how to kill him and get away with it.

As anyone who has worked with battered women knows, the repetitious cycle goes round and round interminably. He would hit her, she would threaten to leave him, he'd apologise and say it would never happen again, she'd forgive him and then confide in me. I'd not forgive him and rage inwardly, worry myself sick because it was getting worse.

When I realised finally that I was feeling the emotions my friend refused to feel, and that my 'hatred' was a way of feeling on her behalf what she could not or would not feel, the dynamic changed. I distanced from her because she wasn't going to do anything about the battering. I phoned him and told him to stop it or I would call the police and report him, even if his wife denied it. He sounded shocked and utterly horrified, promised he'd never do it again. I called her sister and discovered she had been going through the same struggle as a confidante for years.

And once it was out in the open, I felt completely different. I still detested what he was doing, but it wasn't my personal issue, never had been.

[ 23. October 2017, 06:35: Message edited by: MaryLouise ]

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Barnabas et al.: Thank you. I know I'm not the only one who has been struggling with these feelings.

Russ: it's ironic that an anonymous Internet voice who doesn't know me from boo would be chiding me for " projecting hatefulness" onto people I don't know personally. (As I think Maya Angelou once noted, when someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time -- and people like 45, Bannon, Spencer et al have certainly given us plenty of material with which to make informed judgents of their haracter.) And, speaking of peojection, what a glorious example of thst you've provided -- mansplaining my feelings and motivations.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

Could it be why we have the personification of the Devil/Evil One? Is it OK to hate him?

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

C'mon... He's just doing his job [Smile]

--------------------
Human

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016