homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Boycott Australia

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Boycott Australia
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over our treatment of refugees

Tourism and sport are suggested.
quote:
What would a boycott against Australia look like? Because it’s unlikely that any countries would refuse to play Australia in cricket, football, hockey, netball or rugby (as these nations are themselves involved in abuses against minorities), it’s up to engaged citizens to put pressure on teams and their corporate sponsors to take a public stand against Australia’s refugee posture.
Australians could encourage potential tourists, with the aid of a helpful website, to back local communities and economies with no connection to corporations complicit in some way to Australia’s refugee policies.

Sports teams boycotted South Africa. Could it work again? Or was that a product of the times?

My feeling is not enough people will give a stuff here. And I'm guessing, seeing tourists in other countries indulging in iffy practices, that if a tourist spends big to get here they will do what they want.

If a boycott is considered useless or ineffective, and protests have not had any effect, what is left? (Knowing our 2 major parties both support the current policy.)

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we well and truly deserve it, and nothing else seems to be working.

A solid trade embargo would bring things grinding to a halt very quickly - but as I argued myself not long ago, nothing ever stops trade. As long as we still have shit to dig up, China and others will continue to buy said shit, no matter what unspeakable things we put people on Manus through.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The difficulty with a boycott like this is, in order to join, I should probably make sure that my own country has a record on refugees that is better than Australia's. Because otherwise, the question becomes "Why am I supposed to be so worked up about Australia, when I haven't even done anything about what MY OWN government is doing?"

From what I've seen, Canada probably has a better record on refugees than Australia does, but that's largely by comparing Australia Puts Refugees On Island Camp articles to Canada Accepts Some Refugees from Trump's America articles, which is probably not the most comprehenvie examination of the issue.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
I think we well and truly deserve it, and nothing else seems to be working.

A solid trade embargo would bring things grinding to a halt very quickly - but as I argued myself not long ago, nothing ever stops trade. As long as we still have shit to dig up, China and others will continue to buy said shit, no matter what unspeakable things we put people on Manus through.

My worry is that if an effective economic boycott of Australia by people in more human-rights-oriented political systems would drive Australia even more into China's sphere of influence, potentially further eroding Australia's democratic institutions. And, as said above re: Canada, as citizen of the USA, I live in too much of a glass house to be throwing stones like a boycott at Australia.
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't believe it when Turnbull turned down NZ's offer to take some of the refugees. Unfortunately, with family and very close friends in Aussie, I don't think I can entirely boycott visiting.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no chance of an effective boycott in the current climate. We just have to keep plugging away at the politics, either inside the parties (and there are liberals who are doing that, although the famous ones have gone) or via involvement with advocacy groups, or indeed both.

Interestingly, or perhaps that is not the right word, the Liberals are claiming the high moral ground against McKim, the Tassie green senator who was recently on Manus. They accuse him of inciting the prisoners on Manus to violence and resistance to the authorities. They claim it on the basis that nobody is being killed at sea (how would we know) now, and that there are less people in detention now than under the ALP. McKim is getting in their faces by moving motions about Manus. I haven't so brazen an attempt at the high moral ground from the sewer before.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016