homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Prince Harry's kids (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Prince Harry's kids
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prince Harry's kids will be American citizens by virtue of their mother's citizenship. Just think, what if one of their kids becomes the President of the United States while in line for the throne?

You Brits are always playing long. It could be a way of bringing us Yanks back into the fold.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my fantasies, although we'd have to split you up into three or four dominions to prevent you dominating the CTH games.

Seriously though, Harry's kids will be selling diet plans and flogging perfumes for a living.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't that depend on their mum keeping her American citizen and/or giving birth to them on US soil? The Queen may not be best pleased with a dual-citizenship granddaughter-in-law -- the young lady would be liable for taxes to a foreign state.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has just been announced Meghan will be applying for British Citizenship. So, false alarm.

But, technically, American citizenship is by birthright based on the parent's citizenship regardless of where they were born. Mitt Romney's father, George Romney, ran for the Presidency but he was born in Mexico. Still, he was able to run because his parents were American citizens.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If, as a dirty foreigner, I acquire US citizenship, I must renounce any titles of nobility that I might happen to have. But I don't think the act of acquiring a title of nobility places an American's citizenship in jeopardy. There are precedents - The Duchess of Windsor, and Princess Grace of Monaco, for example, and I'm pretty sure that Princess Grace, at least, maintained her US citizenship.

So there's no reason for Ms. Markle not to maintain her US citizenship after her marriage; this would naturally include maintaining her obligation to pay US taxes on her worldwide income. And would also mean that any children she might have would inherit her citizenship.

[ 29. November 2017, 01:24: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
But, technically, American citizenship is by birthright based on the parent's citizenship regardless of where they were born. Mitt Romney's father, George Romney, ran for the Presidency but he was born in Mexico. Still, he was able to run because his parents were American citizens.

I could never figure that one out.

But President Obama was investigated over and over and over because of his Kenyan father -- despite the fact that he was born in the United States and his mother was a native-born American.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole "who qualifies as a natural citizen" game can get pretty complicated. E.g., John McCain being born in the Panama Canal Zone. It was eventually decided that he qualified, but there was a lot of argument.

I suspect there may be special circumstances where the US may informally allow dual citizenship for an American marrying into another country's royal family. E.g., American Lisa Halaby became Queen Noor of Jordan. I don't know about her citizenship; but I wouldn't be surprised if the US gov't casually ignored it. I presume she did have to become a Jordanian citizen. Actresses Rita Hayworth and Grace Kelly are other examples.

Pardon a loaded cross-Pond question, but how much of an issue is their future kids' mixed ethnic heritage apt to be? (And no, I don't mean American.) If, someday, they were close in line to the throne, would it be a problem then?

I don't mean to be insulting. It's just that, AFAIK, the British royals (at least the high-level ones) have always been very white. I don't know how Catherine of Aragon might have been regarded at the time, if she had a Mediterranean complexion.

Thx.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC--

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
If, as a dirty foreigner, I acquire US citizenship, I must renounce any titles of nobility that I might happen to have.

You'd also have to swear to renounce any allegiance to another country. It's part of the oath you'd take.

I don't know how that works out in practice, because lots of immigrants seem to retain a strong connection to their old country. But it may primarily mean what your allegiance would be in wartime.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Technically, US citizens can't hold noble titles, but I haven't heard of anyone arrested for it. Hell, one of the Real Housewives of New York, Luann de Lesseps, was married to a count and proudly bore the title countess all over the place. And she didn't have to duck when the police drove by, either.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
rofl, just generally.

--------------------
Human

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are assuming, Gramps49, that we want the US back. We've got enough problems of our own without taking on another 300 million ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Federal Parliamentarians are going through a difficult period, with more and more of them shown as retaining citizenship of another country. That's a factor disqualifying them from standing for either house of Federal Parliament. Quire a few of those now shown to be disqualified were born in Aust to parents who had taken Aust citizenship but not renounced that which they previously had - the oath does not include that.

This has worked to the disadvantage of the present government. The Labor Party office carries out rather more detailed checks than do the other parties, and that's where most of the problems have arisen.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

When the von Trapp family (yes, that one) became Americans, they had to drop the "von", which is a noble title.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
You are assuming, Gramps49, that we want the US back. We've got enough problems of our own without taking on another 300 million ...

Oh, but in the musical "Hamilton", King George III sings to the US "You'll...be...BACK! You'll see. You'll remember you belong to me".
[Biased]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I don't know how that works out in practice, because lots of immigrants seem to retain a strong connection to their old country. But it may primarily mean what your allegiance would be in wartime.

Probably. It certainly doesn't preclude dual citizenship, which has been explicitly allowed for a small number of decades.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

I could never figure that one out.

But President Obama was investigated over and over and over because of his Kenyan father -- despite the fact that he was born in the United States and his mother was a native-born American.

Simples. Romney was white and Obama is black.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Prince Harry's kids will be American citizens by virtue of their mother's citizenship. Just think, what if one of their kids becomes the President of the United States while in line for the throne?

You Brits are always playing long. It could be a way of bringing us Yanks back into the fold.

As this can only happen with campaign reform, it’s an exciting prospect.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Pardon a loaded cross-Pond question, but how much of an issue is their future kids' mixed ethnic heritage apt to be? (And no, I don't mean American.) If, someday, they were close in line to the throne, would it be a problem then?

I'd say almost a complete non-issue, for multiple reasons:

1. The chance of Harry's kids being closer to the throne than "the King's cousin" is basically zero. It might get a Hurrumph in certain quarters, but only from the sort of person who has already hurrumphed about the names of Mark Phillips's daughters.

2. Ms. Markle is an attractive successful actress. That mostly trumps her complexion.

3. She's not that black. She doesn't style her hair in a "black" style. There's not much there to frighten the horses.

Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

- Posted      Profile for Fuzzipeg   Author's homepage   Email Fuzzipeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg Strelitz, the wife of George III, was considered by many to be a mulatto because of her dark complexion and general appearance...it may or may not be true but her appearance was used to promote the anti slave trade movement..
Similarly Philippa of Hainault, the wife of Edward lll, was Portuguese and described as 'brown all over" and rumoured to have "Moorish blood". Philippa was very successful in keeping the king's Plantagenet temper in check and saved a a number of people from execution, including the Burgers of Calais.

What's the problem?

--------------------
http://foodybooze.blogspot.co.za

Posts: 929 | From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Fuzzipeg--

As I said in my last paragraph, the British royal line has been very white, AFAIK. I have no problem with Meghan or her future children. I'm just not sure what the view is in Britain.

Thanks for the info, though. [Smile]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Fuzzipeg--

As I said in my last paragraph, the British royal line has been very white, AFAIK. I have no problem with Meghan or her future children. I'm just not sure what the view is in Britain.

Thanks for the info, though. [Smile]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Although it does currently have the honour of being the ony country more incompetently governed than our own. Just.

Golden Key - I think your question is perfectly reasonable, and the Spectator has been quoted a lot in social media for trying to find reasons why she is not suitable - comparing her to Wallace Simpson. Because they can't in fact say "We don't want a black person marrying into OUR royal family."

And yes, there will be a lot of people trying to disown Harry, because they are racist shits who hate anyone who doesn't live in cosy Middle England. But tough. They will justify it as being permissible because he is not in direct line to the throne (he and his family are unlikely ever to be monarchs).

Tough.

There is an interesting possibilty that this blood line may, in future generations, cross again with the Monarch, and introduce this into the Royal family again. Her children will be princes and princesses, and so highly eligible for marriage, and their children will have the royal blood, so would always be considered a good match for future generations.

As long as they don't look too like the staff.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not entirely sure about this, so I'm preparing to be proven wrong - and don't really care very much anyway.

I think that technically the British royals are also nationals of various other nations and dominions and thus could get passports for various other countries should they wish to. The Queen herself has no passport but the other Royals travel on British passports.

But I don't think there is any particular reason why the younger Windsors couldn't (for example) move to live in Canada and travel around on Canadian passports.

I don't know that this situation is precisely the same for every country that counts HM as Queen - but I'm reasonably sure that Canada at least officially has them as the "Canadian" Royal family.

--------------------
arse

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Ms Markle has stated her intention of becoming a UK citizen.

2. My understanding is that the US doesn't look kindly on its citizens taking out citizenship of another country, to the extent that the State Department views anyone who does as losing their US citizenship.

3. QED any offspring of Ms Markle and Prince Harry will be UK citizens.

As for the nationality of the current royals: certainly Prince Philip is a UK citizen - definitely not Greek since the then Greek government stripped his family of its citizenship at the time he was exiled from Corfu as an infant.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Her children will be princes and princesses...

Will they? I thought I had heard that things had changed, and only the heir apparent and his offspring are entitled to be called prince or princess, unless a special exception is made. I think a special exception gave Prince William's children titles.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
. My understanding is that the US doesn't look kindly on its citizens taking out citizenship of another country, to the extent that the State Department views anyone who does as losing their US citizenship.

If an American takes out citizenship in another country, they lose their US citizenship, but if they're born with multiple citizenship, they can keep it.

My older daughter was born in Belfast, NI, and she can claim citizenship in three countries, the US, the UK, and the Irish Republic. She can claim US citizenship through her parents; she can claim UK citizenship because she was born in the UK; she can claim Irish citizenship because the Irish Republic says that anyone born anywhere in Ireland is a citizen of the Republic.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
If an American takes out citizenship in another country, they lose their US citizenship, but if they're born with multiple citizenship, they can keep it. ...

If only.

quote:
In 1990, the U.S. State Department adopted new regulations which presume that an individual does not intend to give up citizenship when performing one of the above potentially expatriating acts.[58] If asked, the individual can always answer that they did not intend to give it up; this is sufficient to retain their citizenship.[59] Hence, the U.S. effectively allows citizens to acquire new citizenships while remaining a U.S. citizen, becoming a dual citizen.
Dual Citizenship

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is an interesting possibilty that this blood line may, in future generations, cross again with the Monarch, and introduce this into the Royal family again. Her children will be princes and princesses, and so highly eligible for marriage, and their children will have the royal blood, so would always be considered a good match for future generations.

Well, there is a corollary to long-standing hypothesis which says that any children Harry and Meghan may have wouldn't have any royal blood anyway...

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Her children will be princes and princesses...

Will they? I thought I had heard that things had changed, and only the heir apparent and his offspring are entitled to be called prince or princess, unless a special exception is made. I think a special exception gave Prince William's children titles.

Moo

Presuming that Charles succeeds (which I suspect will be some years away), then the non-princely children will become grandchildren of a sovereign, therefore automatically princes & princesses (all according to George V's warrant). However, the Queen can just make them princely if she feels like it. As the royal corgis are said to quite like Ms Markle, I think that we can safely assume that this will be likely.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh - Markle The Sparkle might one day, in future generations, be responsible for giving Ukland a BLACK King or Queen...

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Gosh - Markle The Sparkle might one day, in future generations, be responsible for giving Ukland a BLACK King or Queen...

[Big Grin]

IJ

If one goes by the one-drop rule, we already have a black monarch in situ. Queen Charlotte (wife of George III) was descended from Maura Gil, a Moroccan, as well as a descendant of Ines Hernandez Estevez, daughter of a converted Moorish shoemaker and mistress of King Joao I of Portugal (1357-1433, husband of Philippa of Lancaster), and through that union ancestress of the Braganza family.

There is also a Berber line through an Emir of Cadiz and the Almoravids but my insomnia has not facilitated my ability to wade through the 10 centuries involved.

But perhaps more importantly in symbolic terms, Ms Markle brings into the House of Windsor the blood of the descendants of slaves, which is perhaps more relevant to modern consciousness than the informality of mediaeval Iberian family life.

[ 29. November 2017, 14:13: Message edited by: Augustine the Aleut ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Augustine the Aleut says:
quote:
Ms Markle brings into the House of Windsor the blood of the descendants of slaves.
Probably a good reason for The Grabber-in-Chief to refuse an invitation to the wedding (should he receive one). The lady is (pale) BLACK, and therefore, presumably, persona non grata to the racist bastard in the WHITE House... [Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Technically, US citizens can't hold noble titles, but I haven't heard of anyone arrested for it. Hell, one of the Real Housewives of New York, Luann de Lesseps, was married to a count and proudly bore the title countess all over the place. And she didn't have to duck when the police drove by, either.

Not quite true. The United States government and the governments of the individual states are forbidden from granting a "Title of Nobility" to anyone, and "no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust" within the U.S. government can accept a title "without the Consent of the Congress". If you're an ordinary American citizen (i.e. not someone "holding [an] Office of Profit or Trust") there's no prohibition against accepting a foreign title of nobility.

Those who become American citizens through the naturalization process are typically required to give up connections to the country of their former allegiance (including titles of nobility), but that's a different question as to whether citizens can accept such titles later.

[ 29. November 2017, 14:40: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This brings to mind the unique instance of Winston Churchill, who was knighted in 1953 and made an honorary US citizen in 1963.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

HCH--

I happened to be wondering about his citizenship last night. He didn't get citizenship from his American mother?

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
HCH--

I happened to be wondering about his citizenship last night. He didn't get citizenship from his American mother?

In those days, one didn't. Before 1934, children born outside the US could not inherit citizenship through one's (US citizen) mother. There was no retroactive effect.
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

I did a cursory review of Jennie Churchill's biography and could not find anywhere where she gave up her American citizenship She was known to talk the title of Lady Rudolph Churchhill after her marriage so that might have been the point where she lost her citizenship.

Someone up thread mentioned the Von Tropps had to give up the "Von" title when they became Americans. I don't think that is the case. I know of a number of families who kept the title. I grew up with a Von Weller. I also know of a number of Irish and Scottish American families who kept the "O'" designation.

Also, someone mentioned that Lady Meghan wears her hair straight, therefore, she is not that black. May I remind you Michelle Obama and her daughters also wear their hair straight. Tell them they are not that black. In the United States, common law simply says if you have one drop of African blood in you you are black. A lot of White Nationalists have discovered, to their chagrin, they are black.

[ 30. November 2017, 01:41: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Gramps--

Re "von":

I was the one who posted it. I thought Maria mentioned it in one of her books. I may be wrong.

I'm poking around online. If I find something, will post it.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I wouldn't worry about Markle's ethnicity. There have been nasty rumors about Harry's parentage all his life.

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

AA--

Thanks for the info! [Smile]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Gramps--

Re "von":

I was the one who posted it. I thought Maria mentioned it in one of her books. I may be wrong.

I'm poking around online. If I find something, will post it.

Ok, I looked around. I may have gotten confused from their frequent use of "Trapp Family" when performing in the US. I didn't find anything that said what they did at their citizenship ceremony.

But at the site for the US Custom & Immigration Service, in the "Oath Of Allegiance" section, I found:

quote:
C. Renunciation of Title or Order of Nobility

Any applicant who has any titles of heredity or positions of nobility in any foreign state must renounce the title or the position. The applicant must expressly renounce the title in a public ceremony and USCIS must record the renunciation as part of the proceedings. [5] Failure to renounce the title of position shows a lack of attachment to the Constitution.

In order to renounce a title or position, the applicant must add one of the following phrases to the Oath of Allegiance:

•I further renounce the title of (give title or titles) which I have heretofore held; or

•I further renounce the order of nobility (give the order of nobility) to which I have heretofore belonged. [6]

An applicant whose country of former nationality or origin abolished the title by law, or who no longer possesses a title, is not required to drop that portion of his or her name that originally designated such title as a part of his or her naturalization. [7]

I'm not quite sure whether the last paragraph means that, once you've formally relinquished the title, you can keep the name; or if you somehow lost/sold your title in your homeland, you can keep it in your name as an American citizen.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'O' in 'O'Reilly' and so on isn't a nobility thing, it's simply a clan or patronymic designation similar to the Scottish 'Mac' or 'Mc'.

The Welsh equivalent is 'ap' or 'ab' meaning son of ...

As in 'Powell- from ap Hywel, or 'Bowen' from ab Owen.

I don't know much about 'Von' but get the impression it's more of a nobility thing, but would be very surprised if the Von Trapps dropped it in the US, as a stage name at least.

'Ladies and gentlemen ... the Trapp Family!' doesn't have the same ring.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
I'm not quite sure whether the last paragraph means that, once you've formally relinquished the title, you can keep the name; or if you somehow lost/sold your title in your homeland, you can keep it in your name as an American citizen.

"von" and "zu" in Germany used to be regulated by law: their use was restricted to the minor nobility, and as such they were aristocratic titles.

With the advent of the Weimar republic in 1919, the legal status of the aristocracy was abolished, and the "von" and "zu" particles simply became part of people's surnames.

So pre-1919, being called "von Trapp" was a noble title, and so you would be expected to become Mr. Trapp in the US. Post-1919, being called "von Trapp" had no special legal status, and so you could keep it as your name.

[ 30. November 2017, 13:04: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a daft discussion.

a) Prince Harry's fiancee is applying for British nationality.Will she give up her American right or have dual nationality. We don't know yet.

2) It is highly unlikely that their kids, should they want some, will ever be King/Queen.

3) Their kids will be British.

4) In the light of Trump's Tweets, do you think they will want to live in the States.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
So pre-1919, being called "von Trapp" was a noble title, and so you would be expected to become Mr. Trapp in the US. Post-1919, being called "von Trapp" had no special legal status, and so you could keep it as your name.

When I lived in Germany in the 1950s, I got the impression that people were not free to add 'von' to their name if they could not prove they were entitled to it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

wild haggis says:
quote:
Indeed, but it takes our minds off the ghastliness of Other News e.g. The Crawling Chaos 'in charge' of Great America, and his hateful malevolence... [Mad]

IJ

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent alert
Weren't the Von Trapps Austro-Hungarians, not Germans?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by wild haggis:

Yes. And?

quote:

3) Their kids will be British.

This is undeniably true. If Ms. Markle doesn't abandon her US citizenship, they'll also be American.

quote:
4) In the light of Trump's Tweets, do you think they will want to live in the States.
By the time any of their children are making decisions about where they should live, Trump and his tweets will be nothing more than a embarrassing chapter in the history books.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't know much about 'Von' but get the impression it's more of a nobility thing, but would be very surprised if the Von Trapps dropped it in the US, as a stage name at least.

It does have nobility as I known South African acquaintances* who dropped it in South Africa because it had no relevance there. They told stories of how some German individuals changed their attitude towards them once they discovered they were actually 'Von'.

Jengie

*Just checked the spelling of their name and found that the one I knew best is quite famous. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Tangent alert
Weren't the Von Trapps Austro-Hungarians, not Germans?

Yes. And Austrian law was a little different - the aristocracy was stripped of their territorial particles, so in 1919, Ritter von Trapp became plain Georg Trapp within Austria.

Outside Austria, he preferred to keep his von.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016