homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Are you naughty? nice? God, Google, Santa & Apple all have Windows into your soul

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Are you naughty? nice? God, Google, Santa & Apple all have Windows into your soul
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The makers of apps all put trackers into the apps you and I have put into your phone, and they even track you if you have turned location services off.

CBC's Spark discussed this today, link "Gillette knows whether you shave because Tinder told it about you".

Yale Univ's "privacy lab" has a paper which states the extent of the problem.

Essentially, if your phone is at a location between perhaps 1 and 4 in the morning, this is recorded at your home. Your location on weekday hours is your work. When you go to a store, the tracking is good enough to know what isles and locations in the store you lingered over. This is all correlated with your online web browsing, because you access Facebook, Instagram, whatever app from your computer too, or email from phone and computer. Even when your phone has location services turned off.

For those interested, here's a link to how to put Google's trackers into an app. Which is only one source of trackers.

Of course if you wire up your home with wifi devices: TV, music, thermostat, computer, shopping etc. How about your car? They know when you get fuel, how often, and where you go. All of this is included in what God and Big Brother know of you.

Does anyone care? I had a thought that new Ship, it is an app, could add a tracker and it'd be child's play to see how many of us go to church, and what church. Should be able to establish who is doing the sermon/homily and how long it is, who texted during it, and probably via the physical body tracking apps, who drifted off in the congregation and whose heart beat a little quicker.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Miranda says, in The Tempest :
quote:
Oh, wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, That has such people in 't!
[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've all volunteered to give up the essential elements of our privacy. We're even paying - through our mobile phones - to be tracked and analyzed. Kyrie eleison.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. I'm hoping to be dead when the shit really hits the fan.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile] I do not have any smart phone things, but I expect when I use my mobile - about once a week! - I might register somewhere. However, anyone monitoring my movements would soon become very bored!! On the whole, though, I expect the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to be really scared, take a look at everything you've said that Google's recorded.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One positive is if someone has gone missing or has had an accident somewhere, it becomes simple to find and help them if they are in trouble.

No use with my son, he still uses the Nokia 3310 he had when he was 16. No smart phone.

Anyone tracking my phone would find no pattern whatsoever. Every day is different and I only go in shops to train the puppy, so it’s a different place every time.

Seeing who was texting during the sermo? I like that 😂🤣

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's as big a problem as some people make out.

Stores will know what I usually buy? Great - that means I will get offers and adverts that are for things I might want rather than wasting everyone's time pushing shit I'd never consider buying at me. It's not like they're forcing me to buy it.

My phone knows where my home and workplace are? That makes it a lot easier to set up directions on the satnav. I'm not worried about the phone company knowing where I live for the excellent reason that they already do - it's the same place they send the bills.

I can link my new car to my phone and get a marker in the maps app to show exactly where I parked it. Very useful in big car parks!

There are definite advantages to knowing where someone is, as Boogie pointed out. And if I genuinely wanted to disappear for any reason then I could just leave my phone at home. Or better still, put it in a box and post it in the other direction so that the search focused on a place far away from where I'd be.

People keep talking about "serious implications" and "Big Brother", but there are very few specifics being offered. Big Brother knowing where everyone was and what they were doing was bad because The Party also had a ruthless secret police force and the will to use it to suppress any hint of dissent against its rule. Google are just trying to make a profit by showing us adverts that we're more likely to click on - hardly in the same league.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
If you want to be really scared, take a look at everything you've said that Google's recorded.

I clicked on that link, and the page said 'no activity'.

I have a smart phone because with my hearing problems, I need to text. I communicate mostly by e-mail; I use my phone only when I'm not at home. It is especially useful if I'm planning to meet someone somewhere.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

People keep talking about "serious implications" and "Big Brother", but there are very few specifics being offered. Big Brother knowing where everyone was and what they were doing was bad because The Party also had a ruthless secret police force and the will to use it to suppress any hint of dissent against its rule.

The point is that this isn't something that 'just' happens in the 'present tense'. This information is stored in databases which are archived, kept indefinitely, much more intrusive than what you describe (they also build up a very clear picture of who else you associate with even if you never use social media yourself), and available should the day come when some party has a ruthless secret police force.

Furthermore the point that they are rarely complete, comprehensive and correct leads to them containing enough duff information to smear a large percentage of people.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I got audio of what was on TV when I was searching Google but not using audio search.

Google something and Google will record the room. Nice to know, I could use that.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
and available should the day come when some party has a ruthless secret police force.

Do you seriously think that's likely?

I'm not saying there's no risk, I'm saying the risk is so small that it's massively outweighed by the benefits.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
and available should the day come when some party has a ruthless secret police force.

I'm not saying there's no risk, I'm saying the risk is so small that it's massively outweighed by the benefits.

If the secret police force is secret, how do you know they do not have one already? [Paranoid]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Host
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty clear that my president would love one. Now I don't think he has any chance of getting a secret police force that can threaten me, but maybe one that will be used to threaten people of color? Say a faux immigration task force that uses its secrecy to not bother to ask for papers? Honestly that sounds pretty close to what we already have.

So yes I think it's possible enough that I better take the possibility seriously.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
No use with my son, he still uses the Nokia 3310 he had when he was 16. No smart phone.

location is still able to be tracked by the towers the mobile talks to. If one sits still long enough, triangulation from them can be almost as good as from satellite.

[ 11. December 2017, 13:42: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which means they still have a location profile for him. If he goes into a store they will know, and can correlated the meta-data on transactions, determining what it is likely that he bought. If he used a loyalty card (e.g., to get a free coffee after buying 10), or a debit or credit card, they'll have that too. They most likely have figured out that Boogie is his parent, and they've referenced this with other family members and friends, and will still be able to predict a personality and attitudes type of profile for him.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the world of Big Data.

1. You are probably not important enough for somebody to single you out to be tracked.

2. This is here. The answer is not to go all Luddite but to consider all the ethical implications responsibly and act a) as a responsible and aware user b) to ensure the best possible governance.

I can't disclose details of my translation jobs, but I can tell you the French Data Protection Agency is in a position to slap big fines on companies that fail to comply with legislation on this sort of thing, and that they carry out surprise inspections in-company.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

In general I think history rarely repeats itself, because it tends to be path dependent, we know what happened, so whatever happens will be a novel twist on familiar themes at least.

That said, when one side wants to label dissenters 'Saboteurs' and 'Traitors' I'm not sure I'd be all that sanguine.

Eventually, power itself corrupts, and these vast datastores will be used for ill - I'm not sure what form it'll take exactly, but perhaps we see a small echo of it in the various companies offering 'social media' services to HR departments wanting to investigate potential hires - which are often error-prone, presumptuous and offer no means of recourse or reply. Or the various scams that use publicly traded databases to target weak and vulnerable. Don't under-estimate people's willingness to pollute the social sphere for a quick buck.

Generally once information is available, people request it or want to search through it. When I was last job hunting, one of the outsourced background checking agencies wanted a copy of my first and last payslip from every job I had ever had - I'm mildly OCD so it was easy enough to fulfill - others may not have found it so easy though. On a note close to the original topic - there have been cases in the US where people have been asked for social media passwords as part of the background check.

[ 11. December 2017, 16:11: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
If the secret police force is secret, how do you know they do not have one already? [Paranoid]

Secret in the sense that you never know who is one of them, rather than in the sense of not knowing they exist.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Is a Bloomberg writer reading the Ship? Article out today on Alexa listening to everything you say, and what it might (and might not) mean.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't give Alexa or her siblings houseroom. I don't have a camera or a microphone on my computer, by design. But there's a limit to how much data we can keep to ourselves - and I do believe that if something can be used for ill, it eventually will be.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016