homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Look who is doing a victory lap through the Middle East

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Look who is doing a victory lap through the Middle East
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Putin

He just signed a $400 billion military arms sale with Turkey

He met Assad and announced he is about to do a partial withdrawal from Syria.

I believe he meets with the Egyptian president tomorrow.

The Orange One is playing into Putin's hands with the announcement he is moving the US embassy to Jerusalem.

OO may not be a Manchurian candidate, but he certainly seems like a Kremlin stooge.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is "playing into his hands" the right phrase when you're fulfilling your job description? I'd say he's bucking for employee of the year.... in Moscow.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
VP Pence is headed for the Middle East. The Palestinian leader refuses to meet with him.

Supposedly, Pence nudged T to make his Jerusalem declaration, for the end-times reasons discussed elsewhere.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still regard Russia as a major enemy of liberal western democracy, or at least the current Russian administration. I concede that it is easy for me to see that administration as an enemy because I don't like the way our own big businesses operate, and I want to see a more even distribution of wealth around the world. I imagine many people who operate in the big end of our towns would have quite alot in common with Putin and his kleptocracy.

My recollection is that Turkey has been in the American and European spheres of influence for a very long time - all my life. That's the real loss. Syria was always Russian.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Turkey, a member of NATO, just signed a big arms deal with Russia. What next?

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know what's next. Putin keeps Erdogan in power indefinitely in the kind of way that the West kept people like Pinochet in place. Great news, citizens of Turkey.

--------------------
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You got it. Strictly business as usual. Britain and America knew how to do that once upon a time. These guys have been playing hard ball for a thousand years apiece.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
So Turkey, a member of NATO, just signed a big arms deal with Russia. What next?

The Russians need a friend controlling the straits. They also want a friend in control of the southern side of the Black Sea. They'd like naval facilities in the Med.

Perhaps they'll have another go at the Khyber Pass next, but there are still quite a lot of Russians survivors who suffered for that aspiration the last time they went for it.

One of the things nobody seems to learn from history, is that if you fight the Afghans, the Afghans always win.

[ 12. December 2017, 19:42: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The West has a long record of tinkering in the ME.
The 03 invasion of Iraq went well beyond this normal policy, the hope being it would trigger an outbreak of peaceful democracies across the region. This has not worked out too well.

Now it is time for pax Russana with the Old Bear resuming it's trade of arms to Countries with clout. The downing of a Russian jet by Turkish planes which some felt could spark WW3 has clearly been well forgotten.

Arms and the Middle East go together like peaches and cream. It is virtually impossible to envisage a time when this will not be so.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enoch concerning the Afghans and war I think I'd say that the Afghans lose but so do the invaders. I'm just trying to capture the devastation.

--------------------
Human

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
The downing of a Russian jet by Turkish planes which some felt could spark WW3 has clearly been well forgotten.

That was my first thought too. Funny how things turn out.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

Maybe the Russians build something in so their exported ground to air systems won't hit Russian aircraft. Can't be too careful...

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some notes:

With the burying of the hatchet between Turkey and Russia, Russia gets vicarious influence in Qatar, where Turkey has a base. Qatar has been unsuccessfully blockaded by US allies Saudi Arabia and UAE. Qatar has been driven by the blockade into a deeper relationship with Iran, already very friendly with Russia. Mohammed bin Salman is proving to be less than a master strategist, and with friends like him...

Commercial flights between Egypt (US ally, more or less) and Russia will soon resume.

Monday "a Kremlin spokesman" - I didn't catch whether it was Dmitri Peskov, Putins' press secretary - announced that the Kremlin now consider's Trump's tweets to be "policy statements". That is tactical brilliance. Any time that Trump says something stupid, the Kremlin can react accordingly, to their advantage, and look like the adult in the room. How can the Whitehouse disavow the statements of the President, effectively saying, "No, no, don't take him seriously"?

Both geopolitically and tactically, the Kremlin team is playing an A game, while, as one diplomat said recently, American foreign policy ranges from directionless to unfocussed rage.

My question is, given what has already transpired, the bankruptcy of anything resembling a coherent foreign policy, a general decline in American prestige, and the aenemic state of the American diplomatic corps, how long will it be before the US recovers from Trump's first year in office? My guess: one full generation.

[ 13. December 2017, 21:07: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
apostate630
Apprentice
# 15425

- Posted      Profile for apostate630   Email apostate630   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"My question is, given what has already transpired, the bankruptcy of anything resembling a coherent foreign policy, a general decline in American prestige, and the aenemic state of the American diplomatic corps, how long will it be before the US recovers from Trump's first year in office? My guess: one full generation."

My guess: never.

Trump's regime is dismantling the State Department with an efficiency that would have been the green envy of a cabal of KGB sleeper agents. There is no US foreign policy, just the whims of a middle school bully with ADHD. Trump could be removed from office tomorrow, but our allies and friends will never trust us again. They can never be sure we'll never give the codes to another Trump.

If you consider, for good or ill, the decades since the implosion of the USSR the period of American primacy on the planet, it's over.

Posts: 46 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the period of US hegemony is over then this may be a good thing in some ways.
If one is in search of silver linings then it could be argued that Trump is America's version of Mr. P. Thus we have a return to the Cold War balance of power which saw decades of relative peace and economic growth for many.

None of which is ideal, but as we know Ideal never has been writ large in 10,000 years of “civilisation”.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting posts - I was thinking the other day that Trump represents decline. His announcement on Jerusalem shows this. I suppose it's more brutally honest - the US isn't pretending to be a neutral chairman of peace talks.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I think Trump's enduring foreign policy damage is overstated, especially if he turns out to be a one term President. His behavior is so out there it will be easy for the next administration to put his legacy in a box and say, "back to business people".

Also, I'm pretty sure that international diplomacy is based on a web of relationships at all levels of government. The President is obviously of critical importance, but informal relationships between people in government and formerly in government are important too, especially in providing a level of continuity. One of the most important behind-the-scenes people in the US-Australia relationship is Senator John McCain. He helps ease the pain.

I agree with the assessment of Russian foreign policy. They wanted Trump to win, and now they are making hay. It does not look good in the Middle East, but as the man on the back of the cart said, "I'm not dead yet..."

--------------------
Human

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good dialectic simontoad, balances apostate630's uequally good one. And Pangolin Guerre's fascinating window on Turkish-Qatari relations. The old Brit base has a Turkish force of 88 at present. Quadruple think is what they all do and the Russians look down kindly on that board.

[ 14. December 2017, 10:55: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simontoad - You're right that much diplomacy relies on the network of informal relationships. The problem is that with so many State Department posts unfilled, there are many fewer people with whom to form these informal relationships. At the top, The President and the Secretary of State seem frequently to be pursuing different, contradictory agendas. It's nice that McCain eases your pain, but he doesn't set policy, or one policy among many.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

That's true. Last I heard we don't currently host an ambassador from the United States. Mind you, legend has it that famous '80's golfer Greg "the Shark" Norman was able to put our PM in touch with Trump on election night.

Norman was famous for choking in golf tournaments and is associated with the White Shoe Brigade (code for corrupt Queensland businessmen developing real estate on the Gold Coast). It is no surprise that he had Trump's phone number.

Norman is actually the wrong generation to be a true white shoe guy, but he is from Queensland and he does wear white shoes from time to time.

--------------------
Human

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016