homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » The Maternal compassion of God and hell (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Maternal compassion of God and hell
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a legend in Mahayana Buddhism that the Goddess of mercy, Guanyin, upon visiting the hells of the afterlife, released her loving compassion setting free, numerous souls from the torments of hell.

A similar apocryphal legend, relates to how the Blessed Virgin Mary, upon visiting the fires of hell, apparently prayed that the souls of hell might be temporarily released from their suffering.

Much of this religiosity is built upon a patriarchal understanding of male= law, female= mercy and compassion.

I'm wondering however, if our understanding of divine justice and judgment is rooted in the traditional understanding of God as primarily masculine. The Father punishes while the Mother is loving and merciful.

If for example, we conceive God as mother, would we conceive of debates about divine justice, mercy and grace differently? Would a loving mother, for example, condemn her children to a terrible hell?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see that a loving Father would condemn his children to hell either. This is why the idea of hell is such a problematic one.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What he said. It's a massive problem.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My thoughts exactly Arethosemyfeet.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I can't see that a loving Father would condemn his children to hell either. This is why the idea of hell is such a problematic one.

Yes, if the real-world analog to hell is torturing someone for an extended period of time, that's not something I could see most fathers doing to their kids. Though, I suppose if I had to make a bet as to which gender DOES do that to their kids more often(to the extent that either does), I'd probably be a benevolent sexist and assume that it's men.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure what hell is, and I'm not sure that anyone is there. If anyone is there, it is because they continue to reject God; they want to have nothing to do with him.

God constantly offers his mercy to everyone who will accept it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I am not sure what hell is, and I'm not sure that anyone is there. If anyone is there, it is because they continue to reject God; they want to have nothing to do with him.

This is my belief as well.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And He does it actively.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...God constantly offers his mercy to everyone who will accept it.

Amen.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I highly recommend Rob Bell's Love Wins in which he addresses the misconception of double predestination (some destined to heaven, others destined to hell). He points out that the Jesus story does not say anything about anyone going to hell. That was a fallacy perpetrated by Calvin. Time for conservatives to get over themselves. They will not be the only ones in heaven.

Reminds me of a joke. This man died and went to heaven. St. Peter met him at the gate. Since St. Pete did not have anything else to do, he offered to show the new man around. They went from room to room. But all of the sudden, St Peter stopped and told the man to be very quiet as they passed this room that had the door closed> Ater they got beyond the door. the man asked who was in that room. St Peter said, "Oh that is the Jerry Falwell group. They think they are the only ones here."

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I believe hell is real, and it is empty

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
...St Peter said, "Oh that is the Jerry Falwell group. They think they are the only ones here."

I kicked the slats out of my cradle over that one, but it was a different version - Roman Catholics, or Baptists or some other group. It's an infinitely variable joke.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I would seem to be in line with the general conception of Hell voiced here, I think that the [heresy alert?] gendered conception of God is an anthropological relic and evidence of the poverty of the human mind and language where it comes to expressing infinitude. In "his" infinitude "he" transcends gender, is neither male nor female, neither Father nor Mother. "His" mercy surpasses our understanding and has no gender content.

To be fair, I use the male pronouns, but that is just my linguistic default option toward conventional usage.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
...I think that the [heresy alert?] gendered conception of God is an anthropological relic and evidence of the poverty of the human mind and language where it comes to expressing infinitude. In "his" infinitude "he" transcends gender, is neither male nor female, neither Father nor Mother. "His" mercy surpasses our understanding and has no gender content.

To be fair, I use the male pronouns, but that is just my linguistic default option toward conventional usage.

Unfortunately, in Enlish the pronoun used for something neither male or female is 'it' which denotes something not only subhuman, but lower than most animals.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Would "They" work?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And mine.

quote:
I highly recommend Rob Bell's Love Wins in which he addresses the misconception of double predestination (some destined to heaven, others destined to hell). He points out that the Jesus story does not say anything about anyone going to hell.

Unless Bell is focusing on technical use of the word "Hell," one must read the Gospels fairly selectively to say that "the Jesus story doesn’t say anything about anyone going to hell." The parable of Dives and Lazarus comes to mind, as does the separation of the sheep from the goats.

quote:
That was a fallacy perpetrated by Calvin.
Assuming you’re talking here about double predestination, more accurately it was perpetuated by some theological descendants of Calvin.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Unfortunately, in Enlish the pronoun used for something neither male or female is 'it' which denotes something not only subhuman, but lower than most animals.

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. For instance you can use "it" of an infant or very small child, in certain contexts.

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anglican_Brat: I'm wondering however, if our understanding of divine justice and judgment is rooted in the traditional understanding of God as primarily masculine. The Father punishes while the Mother is loving and merciful.

If for example, we conceive God as mother, would we conceive of debates about divine justice, mercy and grace differently? Would a loving mother, for example, condemn her children to a terrible hell?

What I get out of this discussion is that if (as I do) regard the cult of the Virgin Mary as heresy (or bad theology), then I also have to consider whether or not the cult of God as Father is similarly defective because the former is a product of the inadequacy of the latter.

If one takes seriously the notion that both male and female are expressions of the image of God then there is the implication that for the creator to be understood it is as both masculine and feminine as to gender as well as well as male and female regarding sex. The question then arises as to whether male theologians can adequately express the feminine nature of the deity. Although this gets one into the difficult question as to the relationship between sex and gender, it might be suggested empirically that male theologians have had great difficulty. Both Roman and Protestant theologians bequeathed an increasingly macho God because feminine-identified qualities were passed on to Mary or, equally problematically, excluded altogether. IMO Christianity has suffered from the paucity of female theologians, a tendency to regard those that have been as a footnote of interesting but minor significance, and more recent feminist theology as somehow outside the mainstream.

An historic example of what I’m trying to get at is Julian of Norwich, who wrote, “Our Saviour is our true Mother in whom we are endlessly born and out of whom we shall never come.” One doubts that a male theologian would have had the intuition to make such a seminal (sic) observation. Unpack that, if you will! Here is a Christ who is not only creator one to whom we are umbilically linked.

While it is true that Julian has been recognised it has generally been as a mystic, which is in some ways patronising, a synonym for eccentric. A recent writer Denys Turner (a male), however, has persuasively argued that she is not a mystic and has a right to be considered as a important theologian of the late Middle Ages because her ideas are intellectually coherent, part of an ongoing theological debate, as well as being original. I’m sure there are others who need to be similarly emancipated for our benefit.

I guess I haven’t said much about heaven and hell in relation to gender/sex so much as to say that the ‘good-cop bad-cop’ approach is clearly inadequate, as posts have suggested, and can only be answered by a theological understanding that re-integrates the nature of God as revealed in Genesis 1, that has been lost to patriarchal Christianity. It is a paradise, however, that can be regained.

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
..........last sentence to third last para should read "Here is a Christ who is not only creator but also one to whom we are umbilically linked. " [Hot and Hormonal]
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
If one takes seriously the notion that both male and female are expressions of the image of God then there is the implication that for the creator to be understood it is as both masculine and feminine as to gender as well as well as male and female regarding sex.

In Luke 13:34, Jesus describes his role as maternal.
quote:
“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.
Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The parable of Dives and Lazarus comes to mind, as does the separation of the sheep from the goats.

The point of the story of Lazarus is not that there is an actual heaven or hell, rather it was about caring for the less fortunate.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The point of the story of Lazarus is not that there is an actual heaven or hell, rather it was about caring for the less fortunate.

I agree. But Jesus still talks of the rich man being in "Hades" as though such a possibility is a given, so I think it’s an example of how it’s simply not accurate to assert that Jesus didn’t say anything about anyone going to hell.

And then there's the other passage I mentioned, where Jesus says
quote:
"You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food . . . . And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'd agree that the sheep and goats is a parable too, nowt ter do wi' what happens after death. I mean, how would Jesus have known?

--------------------
Love wins

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do we have trouble with God's judgement because we suspect we are more the sinner than the sinned against?

Mercy looks very different to a person who is on the receiving end of injustice.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
I'd agree that the sheep and goats is a parable too, nowt ter do wi' what happens after death. I mean, how would Jesus have known?

It doesn’t matter. The claim was that Jesus didn’t say anything about anybody going to hell. That claim is clearly inaccurate—he did, on more than one occasion, talk about people going to hell. Whether he was talking in parable, talking in metaphor, didn’t know what he was talking about or something else is a different question: What did Jesus mean when he talked about people going to hell or about eternal damnation? That's a question well worth wrestling with.

But to simply say Jesus didn’t talk about anyone ne going to hell isn't wrestling with Scripture; it’s avoiding wrestling with Scripture.

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. For instance you can use "it" of an infant or very small child, in certain contexts.
Regardless, if we still want to maintain the personhood of God, and our personal relationship with "him", "it" just doesn't work as the pronoun. This is avoided in languages use the same pronoun for male and female.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Nick, it's not my claim. Jesus gave us Hell. In the strongest terms. In the most frightening terms. So my question stands. On what basis? To what end? If it was ever prophetic, plain, one step removed where figurative, NOT in sensus plenior, how did He know?

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And Nick, we crossed in the post; I was responding to Gramps49 initially. Sorry, I should have said explicitly.

And Jengie. God's judgement is parable too.

--------------------
Love wins

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My understanding of Hell is that it is absence of relationship with the Trinity. I would see it as self imposed by individuals declining a God offering relationship.

I suspect our hubris means Hell is not empty.

I could imagine Christ entering this Hell and returning.

And masculinity/femininity speaks more to our culture than God I believe.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What doesn't Patdys? Hell, judgement, Abraham's bosom, sheep, goats, everlasting fire, devil, angels. Culture.

--------------------
Love wins

sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
quote:

I believe this was St. Therese de Lisieux's view (the Little Flower) - because those in heaven could not bear to look upon the suffering of those in hell.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can show you an example of Hell, ripped right from the headlines.
Consider the President of the US. He has assured is he is always right, always the greatest, and everything he does/touches/attends/invests in is the greatest, the best, and so forth. He assures us of this continually.
No one can believe this is true, not unless they're completely willing to part company with reality. There are photographs, recordings -- proof. He himself is either self-deceived or (possibly) demented.
Now. Is this OK? Shall he continue in this state always? Even putting aside the question of what he's doing to the rest of us, is his view of reality to remain forever unchallenged? Or, at some point, is someone (no one alive today, clearly) to pluck the scales of ego from his eyes and allow him to see things as they really are? Is he ever to know the truth? Or is he always to live in the lie?
And -- if someday he does see Truth -- do you think this will be a pleasurable experience? Or will the President experience it as a scorching fire, the worm that dieth not, a torment everlasting?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What doesn't Patdys? Hell, judgement, Abraham's bosom, sheep, goats, everlasting fire, devil, angels. Culture.

Absolutely Martin.
But certainly my experience of church is that much of the body of Christ is behind culturally.
The brimstone and fire Hell of which is spoken is decades old and yet still informs so much faith and understanding.

I would argue that even discussing the masculinity and femininity of God could be seen as anachronistic.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I can show you an example of Hell, ripped right from the headlines.
Consider the President of the US. He has assured is he is always right, always the greatest, and everything he does/touches/attends/invests in is the greatest, the best, and so forth. He assures us of this continually.
No one can believe this is true, not unless they're completely willing to part company with reality. There are photographs, recordings -- proof. He himself is either self-deceived or (possibly) demented.
Now. Is this OK? Shall he continue in this state always? Even putting aside the question of what he's doing to the rest of us, is his view of reality to remain forever unchallenged? Or, at some point, is someone (no one alive today, clearly) to pluck the scales of ego from his eyes and allow him to see things as they really are? Is he ever to know the truth? Or is he always to live in the lie?
And -- if someday he does see Truth -- do you think this will be a pleasurable experience? Or will the President experience it as a scorching fire, the worm that dieth not, a torment everlasting?

I am horribly suspicious the answer is....

no more and no less than any one of us.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by St. Paul, or one of that crowd:
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

As much as I deplore the Tangerine Tantrum, his ultimate fate is none of my business. I have my own sins to work on and repent of.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
And Nick, we crossed in the post; I was responding to Gramps49 initially. Sorry, I should have said explicitly.

As was I, Martin. The "claim" to which I was referring was the one attributed to Rob Bell in Gramps49’s post.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kwesi--

quote:
..........last sentence to third last para should read "Here is a Christ who is not only creator but also one to whom we are umbilically linked. " [Hot and Hormonal]

Acts 17:28 "In whom we live, and move, and have our being..."

That's a pregnancy image. Mentioned by Paul, when he was preaching at the Areopagus in Athens.

Or a goldfish bowl. But a God who's a goldfish bowl could be problematic. E.g., who would be looking at us???
[Biased]

[ 30. December 2017, 06:22: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
quote:

There's an old Britcom called "Bless Me, Father". In one episode, they get to discussing this, because of someone who ran afoul of the RCC through no fault of his own. (His wife left; they didn't get divorced; and he was living with another woman. I *think* he may have been excommunicated.) After many years, he died.

Fr. Neil (young priest), Fr. D (old priest), and the extremely formidable Mother Superior of the local convent discuss the man's death, and whether he's going to Hell. Fr. D says "he was kinder to life than life was to him". Then this:

quote:
Father Neil Boyd: [to Father Duddleswell] I see. So you don't really believe that God will roast people forever and ever.

Mother Stephen: Father Boyd, the church bids every Catholic believe without question in the reality of the everlasting flames.

Father Neil Boyd: Yes. Yes, of course, Mother.

Father Charles Clement Duddleswell: And who - who but a ravin' lunatic - would ever believe that there was anybody there?

(From IMDB's quote page for the episode.)

Mother Stephen goes on to say "For once, we're in perfect agreement, Fr. Duddleswell".

[Smile]

[ 30. December 2017, 06:45: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

quote:
Kwesi: "Here is a Christ who is not only creator but also one to whom we are umbilically linked. "

Golden Key:

Acts 17:28 "In whom we live, and move, and have our being..."

That's a pregnancy image. Mentioned by Paul, when he was preaching at the Areopagus in Athens.

Golden Key, thanks for that very insightful observation. :noteworthy: I had never realised the nature of the image before- but then I am a bloke! I guess it supports my view of the need female theologians to be taken more seriously to the general edification of the faithful.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

@Patdys. I couldn't agree more. Projecting any of our culture, biology on God completely misses the point. Hell is real right now, we're in it with helpless privilege and see others without, what are we doing about it? Apart from blaming, damning, projecting on Trump?

@Nick. Ah HAH! Aye, Gramps49's take on Rob Bell in Love Wins, 'He points out that the Jesus story does not say anything about anyone going to hell.', is not born out by my reading, in the 3rd chapter 'Hell' he says, 'There is hell now, and there is hell later, and Jesus teaches us to take both seriously.' p.79. He ends the chapter with '...the word “hell” works quite well. Let's keep it.'. The chapter is a gem as of the other seven jewels in that crown. In which Love Wins. Beyond all present, immediate, real hells.

So, I find myself more radical the Rob! I'd take him to task on Gehenna too. There was no city dump. But it's a good metaphor any way. Life is easily trashed, goes to hell. For half the world on a dollar a day with many of the rest of us on a hundred and more much of the time, it's utter hell already. We're all going to have uncomfortable times in our post-mortem walks in paradise alongside Donald. But it won't be hell.

[ 30. December 2017, 10:31: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

A couple of questions:

quote:
Patdys: I would argue that even discussing the masculinity and femininity of God could be seen as anachronistic.

Patdys, I would very much like to to expand on this observation. How, in your opinion has the debate been resolved? What is the new synthesis or paradigm?

quote:
Martin60: “Patdys. I couldn’t agree more. Projecting our culture, biology on God completely misses the point. Hell is real right now….”

What is the point that is being missed? Is it about how we understand God, or is it about the nature of Hell?

ISTM, for example, that your understanding of Hell is a projection of your culture, just as was Satre’s comment that “l'enfer c'est les autres”.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I nearly quoted Satre, but a paraphrase is more appropriate: l'infer c'est nous. The point is that Jesus' figurative hyperbole is entirely about now. Or rather it was entirely about then for His face to face Jewish audience. Nothing to do with ultimate fate. After all how could Jesus possibly know?

--------------------
Love wins

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key wrote:
quote:
I think you are right. It's actually a quote from Epimenides (who is talking about Zeus so it may not have been in Epimenides' mind), but I'm pretty sure it was in Paul's, given the rest of that verse -
quote:
For “In him we live and move and have our being”; as even some of your own poets have said, “For we too are his offspring.”

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For someone who has lived under Margaret Thatcher's government, the idea that feminine leadership is invariably benign, gentle and compassionate is a bad joke.

I don't mean to demonise her. She was just totally lacking in imagination. And she was a very powerful personality, as many women are.

And there are female goddesses who are pretty violent. Kali with a necklace of skulls and Cybele with her castrated priests.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly. Women's voices have certainly been repressed in the history of the church, but any sense that they are more likely to have certain insights is not based much more than wishful thinking.

Isaiah 49:15:

quote:
Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!

This implies that a mother can forget their babies. God is better than a mother.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Hmmm. I've always felt that (Deutero-)Isaiah was saying that even if the impossibility of a mother forgetting her child were to happen, God cannot forget His bride; that is still impossible.

--------------------
Love wins

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see any mention of impossibility in the phrase "Though she may forget".

Traits and behaviours attributed to God as father in the bible include:

quote:

Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation. (Psalm 68:5)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places (Ephesians 1:3)

In that same hour he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.(Luke 10:21)

As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him. (Psalm 103:13)

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. (Luke 15:20, a parable about God's love)

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. (1 John 3:1)

Plus Jesus' talk of "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30) implies that Jesus's work of healing and compassion demonstrates God the Father's own self.

All this is not to say that only God the Father is compassionate, or deny images of God as mother in the bible, rather, the linking of God the Father to traits in the bible gives one a view of utter compassion. There's a lot of dodgy genocidal stuff in the bible, certainly, but that wasn't explicitly linked to God's fatherhood.

The false dichotomy of father=violence/mother=compassionate has more to do with people who are old enough to remember John Wayne-style men, a modal confined to one period of time.

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

quote:
Rosa Winke : The false dichotomy of father=violence/mother=compassionate has more to do with people who are old enough to remember John Wayne-style men, a modal confined to one period of time.
Rosa, you make a very fair point and back it with sound scriptural references. The question, however, is why then the need for the Blessed Virgin Mary to intercede with the Son and the Father if those feminine qualities are already identified with the nature Godhead? The argument is that an historically male-dominated theological discourse has had a certain lacuna regarding the feminine side of God's nature which you have identified.
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

quote:
The argument is that an historically male-dominated theological discourse has had a certain lacuna regarding the feminine side of God's nature which you have identified.

"feminine side"? You mean that traits related to God as a Father?

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

.....end of line 3 should read "the nature of the Godhead?"

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016