homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Nativity Play   » Scene 11: Wise Men bring gifts (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Scene 11: Wise Men bring gifts
Musical Director

Nativity Play
# 3651

- Posted      Profile for Musical Director   Author's homepage   Email Musical Director   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tribute to Miss Molly
We would like to dedicate this performance of the Nativity story to Miss Molly. If you would like to know more regarding this remarkable lady please read this. If you would like to add your own words of tribute to Molly please do so here. Let our lives and our lips sing with praise, thanksgiving and joy to the God and Father who she now sees face to face.

--------------------
ChrisT sez: *sigh* Let's take it once more from the top...

Posts: 284 | From: The Bandstand | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Musical Director

Nativity Play
# 3651

- Posted      Profile for Musical Director   Author's homepage   Email Musical Director   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Forget the perfume, where's the cash?

So the shepherds made it, just. And now it's the turn of the Wise Men. Will they show up? And what will they bring? There's one thing for sure, there ain't much wisdom to spare between them...

--------------------
ChrisT sez: *sigh* Let's take it once more from the top...

Posts: 284 | From: The Bandstand | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Narrator

Nativity Play
# 3680

- Posted      Profile for Narrator     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To the tune of “God save the Queen”

Here come some quite odd Kings
Along the way they sing
They’re here at last
For they had lost their way
And they heard Herod say
“Strange news you bring”

Herod was most put out
Which made him sulk and pout
And hatch a plan.
It is his fervent will
The new born child to kill
He is a lout.

But Mary is quite swift
When they present their gifts
Precious and rare.
She’d prefer notes that fold
But she’ll make do with gold
Her spirits lift.

--------------------
Chapelhead

Posts: 90 | From: Prompt corner | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

- Posted      Profile for Mother Mary   Email Mother Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mary busies herself around the stable, hanging nappies to dry on an improvised line at the back of the stage, bustling animals out of the way as she rearranges the hay, trying to ignore the snores of her beloved husband as she moves the improvised manger from stage right to stage left and back again.

--------------------
Over 500 posts? No wonder I am exhausted. Wake me in the spring, if you please.(Smudgie)

Posts: 203 | From: Escaped back to real life at last. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

- Posted      Profile for Mother Mary   Email Mother Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She gazes down at the sleeping baby in the manger and smiles sweetly. What a cute little fellow he is... seems to make it all worth while. She picks up the ribboned bell which he has dropped over the side of the manger and puts it alongside him, wiping it on her blue dress first because you never know what's been on that bit of hay on the floor

--------------------
Over 500 posts? No wonder I am exhausted. Wake me in the spring, if you please.(Smudgie)

Posts: 203 | From: Escaped back to real life at last. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

She glances over at Lavinia, still swaddled and snug in daddy's arms. For once even she is quiet. Mary sighs serenely. She wonders what the future holds for these two tiny babes, so sweet and innocent.

--------------------

Wise Man 2

Nativity Play
# 3654

- Posted      Profile for Wise Man 2   Email Wise Man 2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile in a state room at the Yerushalayem Hyatt a wise man is busy packing. Including some distinctly badly wrapped presents (well have you ever tried to wrap jars of incense? not exactly a nice square box).

Are you guys ready yet? We should be on our way to that Bethlehem place.

--------------------
When I'm not creeping around stables at 2 in the morning I go by the name Alan

Posts: 67 | From: The Orient | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

Sitting serenely down on a handy pile of hay she... hmm, standing up, looking distastefully at the pile of hay, wiping her dress, removing the pile off half-broken eggs, and settling down again.... she ponders on the strange visitors of the previous night.

--------------------

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

They seemed very well meaning, and that one shepherd - the particularly aromatic one with the obviously brand new teatowel on his head - had been most helpful in prompting Joseph to take on his fatherly duties. Shame the gifts weren't a bit more useful, but at least she'd got rid of the drum. (Hidden it away to give as a Christmas present to Liz's son)

--------------------

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

Some of the glowy ones had been a bit disconcerting for a moment or two. Obviously had too much Ready Brek, or been standing too near the microwave. Mary makes a mental note only to feed the babies real food cooked by conventional methods. But they had sung so beautifully and been so supportive. Still, she will be glad now not to have any more visitors for a while. They need time to bond as a family.

--------------------

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

Mary looks at the watch hidden under the long sleeves of her..rather fetching... blue dress. Yes, certainly looks as though it's going to be a really quiet night. Thank goodness. She puts her feet up on the hay and takes out her copy of Pride and Prejudice.

--------------------

Narrator

Nativity Play
# 3680

- Posted      Profile for Narrator     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mary has a little lamb
As mauve as mauve can be.
And everywhere that Mary goes,
Folk point and laugh with glee.

--------------------
Chapelhead

Wise Man 2

Nativity Play
# 3654

- Posted      Profile for Wise Man 2   Email Wise Man 2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Guys? You're not still asleep are you? We've got to get moving. How are we supposed to follow a star if you stay in bed all night?

--------------------

Narrator

Nativity Play
# 3680

<Sotto voce>

Typical men, wise or not. Probably buying last minute Christmas presents for the twins. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Chapelhead

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

Joseph and the babies slumber on. Mary reaches Chapter six. She puts the book down, momentarily, and takes a bar of fairly traded chocolate out of her handbag. Hunger abated, she reads on

--------------------

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

A sudden thought goes through Mary's mind. She puts down the book and takes out her mobile

TXT 2 MUM

U R A GRANNY
2 BABES - M & F
ALL FINE
JOE SLEEPS SWEETLY
IN B'HEM NOW
C U SOON
LUV MARY

--------------------

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

On a roll here

TXT 2 LIZ

HEY CUZ
HOW'S JOHN?
U R AN AUNTIE
: )
BABES & ME OK
U SHD SEE HOTEL
O BUT THE BEST
LUV MARY

--------------------

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

TXT 2 BRI
TA 4 UR MOBILE NO
R U OK?
DID AA COME?
AM NOW A MUM
:- )
DO VISIT

LUV MARY

--------------------

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

TXT 2 YZ MEN
ANY TIME NOW
WOULD B FINE

LUV MARY

--------------------

Narrator

Nativity Play
# 3680

<Sotto voce>

Married and a mother in 24 hours, and now she's on the phone to Brian. Talk about fast.

--------------------
Chapelhead

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

- Posted      Profile for Joseph   Author's homepage   Email Joseph   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Swings into actions - eyes wide open, eyebrows spasming violently, legs shaking and arms waving.

Art thou a man? Thy form cries out thou art;
Thy tears are womanish, thy wild acts denote
The unreasonable fury of a beast.
Unseemly woman in a seeming man!
And ill-beseeming beast in seeming both!
Thou hast amazed me. By my holy order,
I thought thy disposition better tempered.
Hast thou slain Tybalt? Wilt thou slay thyself?

Looks around. Sees Mary's a little stunned. Regains control.

Oh... err... what a terrible dream! Yes, terrible. Wow.

{sigh of relief}

So, what's up, Mary o' mine?

--------------------
Joseph, the not-so-Jesuitical ex-Lad.

Posts: 177 | From: Palestine | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

Goodness Joseph, be careful... you don't want to wake Lavinia!

You did sleep well last night!

--------------------

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

I was just thinking how good it was to have a bit of time to spend together as a family without a load of visitors arriving, and what do you know, a load of visitors haven't arrived, so we can have a nice family night in. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

- Posted      Profile for Joseph   Author's homepage   Email Joseph   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good point.

Checks Lavinia. She seems still. Too still, in fact. And the faint green glow of her head can't be healthy.

Well, I think she's ok.

How are you, anyway?

--------------------

chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

- Posted      Profile for chief stage manager   Email chief stage manager   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*Finds kettle and prepares fair trade organic tea. Nibbles a bite of props chocolate.*

I wish I'd brought my copy of The Brothers Karamazov.

Yawn...

--------------------
The original bessie rosebride.

Posts: 148 | From: stage left amongst the props | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fairy Godmother

Nativity Play
# 3695

- Posted      Profile for Fairy Godmother   Email Fairy Godmother   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*Waddles in laden with carrier bags*

Hello loves - any chance of a cuppa?

I'm right parched

*Sits down on hay bale and kicks off shoes*

--------------------
It could only be Nanny Ogg

Posts: 265 | From: Appearing in a pantomime near you | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

Well, straightens blue dress and does a twirl Don't you think I've recovered my figure well?

--------------------

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 3   Email Sheep 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Sheep 3 peeks into the stable, sees that all is quiet, and enters]

Baaaaa.

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Posts: 278 | From: lost in a pasture | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fairy Godmother

Nativity Play
# 3695

- Posted      Profile for Fairy Godmother   Email Fairy Godmother   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother Mary:
Well, straightens blue dress and does a twirl Don't you think I've recovered my figure well?

As good as Liz Hurley luv

You'll be posing in leathers for a fashion mag next no doubt

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Appearing in a pantomime near you | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

Ah, Fairy Godmother... am I glad to see you!!!! [Big Grin]

aside to stage manager Think you could rustle up a couple of cups of something? Non-alcoholic, please, seeing as Joseph's on the wagon!

--------------------

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

Why Mary, yes! You look as slim as you were back when you entered Miss Nazareth 7 BC. Oh, how we laughed! Do you remember? And Mrs Kippelstein, the Twenty-Ton Blunder? She was a hoot. Can't imagine how she thought she'd win, though.

Well, looks like we've got company. Anyone for a game of cards?

--------------------

Stable Cat

Nativity Play
# 3657

- Posted      Profile for Stable Cat   Email Stable Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*stable cat wanders in, looking for a cozy lap to sit in.*

mmmrrrrrtttt?

--------------------
nicolemrw says "meow!"

Posts: 85 | From: the stable | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fairy Godmother

Nativity Play
# 3695

quote:
Non-alcoholic, please, seeing as Joseph's on the wagon!

He is - I ain't.

But then I always carry my own supplies [Wink]

--------------------

Sheep 1

Nativity Play
# 3671

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 1   Email Sheep 1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right behind Sheep 3, Sheep 1 peeks through backstage curtains. Seeing no Wise Men, she ventures out on stage behind her partner in cud-chewing.

Baaaaa

--------------------
Jack the Lass the Sheep (but you can call me Shaun)

Posts: 45 | From: a flippin' cold hillside outside Bethlehem | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Phil the Wise Guy
Nativity Play
# 3678

- Posted      Profile for Phil the Wise Guy   Email Phil the Wise Guy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With a barely muffled oath, Phil the Wise Guy yanks out his mobile and reads Mary's message.

"Jeez Louise, *now* she gets religion! We're wise men and kings, not snap-to-it servants! O, what da hell...."

Stepping into his best pink tutu and tying up his black high top sneakers, he firmly settles the battered old leather flying helmet on his head and lights his stogie.

"OK you bums, outta the sack! Look alive!"

Proceeds to kick awake the remaining wise men.

"We gots a saviuh t' adore, gifts ta unload, and summa Herod's goons ta dodge, so let's go, ladies!"

"Hey Moosic Director; gimme dat Mission: Impossible t'eme dis time, woodja please?"

--------------------
So, wheres can I get a drink in dis town? Feels so good ta can dat Kenwritez nice-guy schtick.

Posts: 68 | From: Some burg outside Jerusalem | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

- Posted      Profile for chief stage manager   Email chief stage manager   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

aside to stage manager Think you could rustle up a couple of cups of something? Non-alcoholic, please, seeing as Joseph's on the wagon!

Places two fine china cups of tea on a gold platter, (Only fitting for the Theotokos and her husband). Adds sugar and fresh cream. Adds strawberries and teacakes. Peeks through curtains. Here you are...

--------------------

Posts: 148 | From: stage left amongst the props | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

Serenely places down the Queen of Hearts on the bale of hay

SNAP! [Big Grin]

Oh, thank you Stage Manager! Most kind. A good cuppa always whiles away the hours, I say.

--------------------

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

Thanks stage manager, and mumbles apology for earlier champagne bottle incident.

Tea-time!

--------------------

Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

quote:
Originally posted by chief stage manager:
Adds sugar and fresh cream. Adds strawberries and teacakes.

Ohhh, goodie! I hope no unexpected visitors turn up! There's only enough for three! [Big Grin]

--------------------

chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

Likewise, asks forgiveness for retaliating sheep plop fling. [Embarrassed]

--------------------

Gabriel
Apprentice
# 827

- Posted      Profile for Gabriel   Email Gabriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm fed up of sitting that green room waiting for the end to come - i want some of the action!!

Where is the happening place to be in Bethlehem these days Alternatively, i could maske up a foursome for a game of cards

Posts: 42 | From: UK MIdlands | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sheep 1

Nativity Play
# 3671

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 1   Email Sheep 1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*Did someone just say 'teacakes'?*

Baaaaaa

Munch

--------------------
Jack the Lass the Sheep (but you can call me Shaun)

Posts: 45 | From: a flippin' cold hillside outside Bethlehem | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angel 3

Nativity Play
# 3687

- Posted      Profile for Angel 3   Email Angel 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<stage whisper to Joseph.>
<Of course, if you'd like a little something in your tea, I can oblige. Or maybe a little hangover cure, h'mmm?>

--------------------
The artist usually known as Duo Seraphim

"Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est."

Posts: 76 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

Gabriel, how good of you to come and join us.
You wouldn't happen to have brought any presents would you?
Right... you partner the Fairy Godmother and my beloved husband and I will be your opponants. What shall we play? Team Snap or Go Fish?

--------------------

Joseph

Nativity Play
# 3666

quote:
SNAP! [Big Grin]

This game is d-u-m-b. And I'm not playing "team snap"! How about poker? Fairy Gee, you in? Gabriel? No need to hide - come on in and join the party.

Nudges Angel 3.

Sounds great. Here, slip it in there...

Holds out cup of tea.

--------------------

Gabriel
Apprentice
# 827

- Posted      Profile for Gabriel   Email Gabriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Angel 3 - what are you dong out on your own tonight? Have you got permisison? - and whats all this about a "little something" in your tea? Please remember we angels do not talk obout our "little something" in public
Posts: 42 | From: UK MIdlands | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angel 3

Nativity Play
# 3687

- Posted      Profile for Angel 3   Email Angel 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel:
I'm fed up of sitting that green room waiting for the end to come - i want some of the action!!

Where is the happening place to be in Bethlehem these days Alternatively, i could maske up a foursome for a game of cards

Down at the Stable, Boss Angel. (Produces blackjack table and croupiers eyeshade) We can make up a foursome. Poker? Vingt-et-un? Snap?

--------------------
The artist usually known as Duo Seraphim

"Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est."

Posts: 76 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

Prepares more tea, strawberries and cakes for Gabriel. Again peeks through curtains... [Not worthy!]

--------------------

Wise Man 2

Nativity Play
# 3654

Phil, do you think two wise men are enough for this scene? Past experience suggests we're not going to have any more anytime soon.

--------------------

Fairy Godmother

Nativity Play
# 3695

quote:
Gabriel, how good of you to come and join us.
You wouldn't happen to have brought any presents would you?
Right... you partner the Fairy Godmother and my beloved husband and I will be your opponants. What shall we play? Team Snap or Go Fish?

I though a good round of bridge might not go amiss
[Wink]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  New poll  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016