homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Windows 10 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Windows 10
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until yesterday I used Windows 8. Despite the many complaints this has garnered, I could use it; it worked for me. Then I had an invitation to upgrade for free to Windows 10. This sounded like a bargain and so I did.......

When I go on line now my list of favourite websites has disappeared. ALL of them are gone.

I can no longer set a homepage.

Outlook Express no longer allows me to send attachments with emails.

That's in less than 24 hrs. Has anyone else discovered lurking horrors in the new system?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a surprise, "free" gift from M$ turns out to be shite.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought MS had stopped supporting Outlook Express and were no longer shipping it with Windows (I think XP was the last version with it). They now provide Windows Mail instead. I think some people would have been surprised Outlook Express worked on Win8.

In my experience all internet browsers allow you to import favourite lists, though I hear there's a new browser in Win10. If the Win10 browser doesn't allow that, then get Chrome or something instead. Then just import the favourites list from the backup of your system you made before upgrading. You did make a backup and restore disk so that you could easily go back to Win8 if you wanted, right?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm reliably informed it sends all your personal data to Microsoft headquarters, too. You might want to check that...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I installed Windows 10 on the day of release and it's mostly be fine. Edge has an import favourites button but I don't use favourites so I don't know if it works. As for Outlook Express: I hate to tell you but it's not 1998 any more.

The bigger issue for me is that the Windows 10 release of the drivers for my graphics card don't work so I had to install an older version which work fine. Oh, and before I could install it at all I had to unplug my second hard drive.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windows couldn't find a driver for my printer and I was 'reliably' told that there wasn't one, and it was just tough. However, when I went looking I found it, and my printer is working properly now (which is unusual in itself).

I've barely noticed the difference between 8 and 10. I had 8 set up so that I wasn't overly bothered by the things that other people were complaining about, and 10 seems pretty much the same, although I don't seem to be able to choose precisely the same shade of green as my background colour. That's my biggest gripe, but I expect I'll eventually be able to come to terms with it.

I have heard that Toshiba users are having more problems than most, particularly with drivers, but as my Toshiba machine is sitting happily with XP I haven't any direct experience.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read several reviews that said MS is taking over your computer, reading the content of your emails, tracking your keystrokes, and preventing you from opting out of any updates they want to send.

Here's an article warning about privacy issues and mentioning in passing ads added to some programs including solitaire (you can buy ad free solitaire).

OTOH Lifehacker thinks it's no big deal if only because the new MS aggressive info collecting is what your existing browser, phone and aps are already doing. If you care about privacy, you stay off line.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's easy to be caught out by MS's greedy desire for your info while you're upgrading, but it's quite straightforward to go through your privacy settings afterwards and deny MS access to just about everything.

Annoying, though.

--------------------

Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

- Posted      Profile for Touchstone   Email Touchstone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not very hellish but if you click on the "three dots" (FK what it's meant to be) menu at the top right of edge you can select "open with internet explorer", you should then get internet explorer with all your favourites intact. You can then pin internet explorer to the taskbar and get rid of "Edge" (seems to be sort of like Chrome but not as good. Why???)

Been using Windows 10 for a few days and it seems to slightly less of a pile of steaming crap than W8. It sort of has a start button at least.

Would still be using XP if I could.

--------------------
Jez we did hand the next election to the Tories on a plate!

Posts: 163 | From: Somewhere west of Bristol | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about Outlook Express - we use the full-fat version - but for reference, to import your favourites into Edge:

click on the 'more' (...) button

click on settings

click on 'import favourites from another browser'

etc

To set your homepage:

Click on the more (...) button

Click on settings

Click on open with

Click on 'a specific page or pages'

Go to 'custom' on the drop-down menu

Enter the web address you want and remove MSN unless you want it as a second homepage.

Right, back to Hell: TICTH the fact that Windows 10 doesn't have a DVD player unless you already had a WMC account. [Mad] [Mad] We didn't and our television has turned up its toes.

If anyone could suggest a free alternative that doesn't bring crapware onto the computer with it, I'd be most unhellishly grateful!

I also CTH the fact that Windows 10 is not intuitive. [Mad] [Mad] They ran a beta version for long enough to have sorted that.

And <howl of anguish> Solitaire didn't come with Win10 either!! The game you can link to is rubbish!!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:
Would still be using XP if I could.

I'm still using XP for several reasons - old pc, compatibility with other older software, no reason to change if everything still works ok. Not planning to change unless I absolutely have to.

(And I hate that version of Office that insists you have to have that stupid ribbon and docx files and ties formerly easy-to-find menu options up in inaccessible depths.)

I'd attempt a System Restore if the new system didn't work for me - not entirely sure if it would reverse an entire operating system installation but may be worth a try?

[ 07. August 2015, 20:23: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
And <howl of anguish> Solitaire didn't come with Win10 either!! The game you can link to is rubbish!!

We tried to teach my grandmother how to play computer solitaire, sort of an intro to computers to someone who never had any reason to use one in her entire life.

Within five minutes she declared that actual cards were just fine.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tangental word to the wise: if someone in your office mentions Office 365 just back away, slowly, taking your laptop with you.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I'd attempt a System Restore if the new system didn't work for me - not entirely sure if it would reverse an entire operating system installation but may be worth a try?

You can revert to your previous version of Windows for a month afterwards - I don't know how, but it's a part of the Windows 10 deal.

If you use something like System GoBack before you upgrade you can go back at any time.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm probably painting a target on my ass here, but I like it. It improves a lot that was wrong with 8.1, it's sleek and quick and it looks good. Edge, I think, is a work in progress, but I'm a Chrome fan anyway, so I might look at it again after a few rounds of updates.

I didn't have any problem with 10 getting rid of my programs, apps, favourites and suchlike - the upgrade went surprisingly smoothly for me.

And I'm loving the voice-control slave. "Hey Cortana," I'll say, "Play me some Beethoven" - and it does. I'm in Star Trek!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
[...] Right, back to Hell: TICTH the fact that Windows 10 doesn't have a DVD player unless you already had a WMC account. [Mad] [Mad] We didn't and our television has turned up its toes.

If anyone could suggest a free alternative that doesn't bring crapware onto the computer with it, I'd be most unhellishly grateful! [...]

Here you go. And for BluRay films, here.

You're welcome.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
[...] And I'm loving the voice-control slave. "Hey Cortana," I'll say, "Play me some Beethoven" - and it does. I'm in Star Trek!

Mate, do you realise how much data they collect on you for just that silly gadget? Fucking pathetic (M$ 'privacy' statement).

Suggestions on increasing your privacy e.g. here (Huff Post). Very detailed instructions on privacy safeguard, including Fuckana, on TechRadar.

Stop being naive.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why go through a window if you don't have to. Win 10 is a security nightmare. An operating system is like a language, like English or Swahili, by definition free.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The geeks I use to sort my computer when Things Go Wrong suggested in their newsletter that unless you need it specifically or can sort stuff out for yourself, don't be an early adapter, but wait until some of the wrinkles are ironed out.

Works for me, but then I probably would have been quite happy if Windows 98 was still operational.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Yep. As I sed here.

This is a gift horse whose choppers definitely need VERY close inspection. Don't be fooled.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just this morning my computer has started showing pop-ups urging me to install Windows 10 free. I have Windows 7, and I'm getting along just fine.

I wonder why they want me to change.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just installed Windows 10. I can tell you for a fact that it is a dangerous, very very bad, program. For instance, I keep typing brilliant - world changing - things in my posts here and Windows 10 converts them to ordinary drivel.

How that happens in beyond me.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Well, they want you to bleat, no longer too moo, it's as easy as that!!

Sorry, H&As, yet another link: 'How to remove Win 10 Upgrade nag', but this is M$ Hell for people concerned.

You can/should uninstall this update, named KB3035583, and then restart, but it'll try to get installed again - best switch to 'manual installation' (not automatic) for M$ Windows Updates and when it shows again, rightclick and 'hide'.

From what I see, there may be a few other Windows Updates that will push for Win 10 installion, but the nag screen is that one. Bastids!!

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Mate, do you realise how much data they collect on you for just that silly gadget? Fucking pathetic (M$ 'privacy' statement).

Suggestions on increasing your privacy e.g. here (Huff Post). Very detailed instructions on privacy safeguard, including Fuckana, on TechRadar.

Stop being naive.

Well duh! Of course it collects all that stuff - how the hell else is it supposed to work? I used to work in IT and I've a pretty good grasp on how these things work, thanks very much. But I also know that if I share my opinion with Cortana that my MP is a pointless Blairite tosser, I'm not going to get dragged off to the gulag any time soon.

I think I'm less naive than you are paranoid.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Just this morning my computer has started showing pop-ups urging me to install Windows 10 free. I have Windows 7, and I'm getting along just fine.

I wonder why they want me to change.

Moo

Is Bill Gates in any way connected to the Sea Org?

Just a casual question. i wanted to contribute to the Geek Storm going on here, but I haven't set my Duolingo account for "IT Gibberish" yet.

Jeez, you people.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and Win 10 ate my task bar yesterday. And for some reason it has been fucking with my Angry Birds Friends graphics, so it's like trying to play ping pong submerged in a sea of molasses. That is unacceptable.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Is Bill Gates in any way connected to the Sea Org? [...]

It's sea-lly season. And it needs to be org-anised.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
[...] I also know that if I share my opinion with Cortana that my MP is a pointless Blairite tosser, I'm not going to get dragged off to the gulag any time soon. [...]

I agree. Not as long as there is a Russia-hating Tory government.
quote:
[...] I think I'm less naive than you are paranoid.

I love paranoia. It keeps me sane. And makes life much more interesting.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many moons ago, probably in the days when I used 98, my neighbour had a tenant who was a trained MS engineer. He warned me, back then, of ways that I could be accessed by MS. Can't remember what they were - I think probably using their help, or downloading add-ons. So nothing new.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure what to do, I keep looking at that little flag shaped window and wondering whether to go for it. I hated windows 8 and got my new laptop with windows 7. If it's anything like 8 I don't want it ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Boogie:

quote:
I'm not sure what to do, I keep looking at that little flag shaped window and wondering whether to go for it. I hated windows 8 and got my new laptop with windows 7. If it's anything like 8 I don't want it ...

Like you, I was happy enough with W7, though I reserved a copy of W10. I have already talked myself out of downloading it, though. Too many opportunities for new niggles, regrets and irritations....and not enough hard evidence of positive improvement. But I remember feeling exactly that way about the mobile telephone. Not that I was necessarily wrong on that subject!
Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does Windows 10 have distinct advantages you'd find it useful to have?

Does your existing software not work properly/give you enough hassle to contemplate the upheaval of installing a new operating system?

If you can answer Yes to both, then upgrade. If you can't answer Yes to both, then ask yourself what benefit you think an upgrade would bring.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It mucks around with your file permissions - there's a long thread on the windows help forum about it. Plenty of temporary solutions, all of which seem to fail once you turn off your PC. At least for me.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wife still has a machine that runs Vista. At least, in theory - it probably hasn't been powered up in 3 years. She's fully transitioned to doing everything on i-devices or my Mac.

BUT, but... with the amount of whining going on, I'm tempted to build something to run Windows 2ª. Just to see what the fuss is about. And to reaffirm that I'm cleverer than everybody else here.

ª Wait, you mean it's NOT in binary? Oh. I thought Satya Nadella was being funny.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's always worth waiting for the first service pack, but I think I read that MS aren't doing them for W10 and are doing their upgrades like Android.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It lured me into creating a Microsoft account, then kindly (but without telling me) made *that* the login for the whole computer when I turn it on. Which is diabolical liberty enough, but would have been less hellish if I hadn't then forgotten the precise password I created. (It was a rude message about Microsoft, with the required character count and mix of upper/lower case and symbols.) So I had to boot up the laptop to go online and change the password before I could get back onto the main computer.

Just typed a whole paragraph of further gripes and deleted it. Microsoft's newly proprietary attitude is the big one, bringing it within a gnat's whisker of Apple for sheer contempt of customers as people able to make their own choices.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, what you are saying is Microsoft's problem is marketing.
Apple sheeple often praise the very things you decry.
Just drink the koolaid like they did.

Side note: Why does Google draw fewer complaints? They are as, if not more, pernicious. Every product wishes to be tied to an account.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

You don't have to have a Microsoft account - I don't (actually, I do have one, but I don't use it for logging on to my computer, or for anything else for that matter).

I'm afraid I can't remember how I got out of its tentacles, but I did so immediately after getting my first Windows 8 laptop, and it has learned to accept it and not bug me. Windows 10 never asked me to use it.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy as a clam at a bar mitzvah with 7 Pro. Won't change until they entirely stop supporting it. And maybe not even then. There are a few key applications I must have the Windows versions of (or there are no Linux versions at all) or I'd go Mint. (Like going plaid, only leaves your mouth feeling fresher.)

So, no 10 for me for the foreseeable future.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
It mucks around with your file permissions - there's a long thread on the windows help forum about it. Plenty of temporary solutions, all of which seem to fail once you turn off your PC. At least for me.

Cracked it.

Short version. You have to change the permissions as Administrator, not User, and as User you have to give permission for Administrator to change permissions. Logging in as Administrator is not trivial but there is an online link which will tell you how to do that.

Not Hellish, I know, but it might help some poor soul. PM me if you're stuck with this problem and need more detail on the fix.

Classic Microsoft. They make an inadvertent change (no doubt for a good reason) then leave it to the poor bloody users to work their way through the maze of conflicting, confusing, and often contradictory advice.

I used to do this sort of stuff for a living ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Win10 + videos - YouTube, iPlayer etc [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

YouTube plays ok on Firefox but not on Edge. I watched one hour-long programme in iPlayer earlier but now it won't play at all.

Oh - and webcams from tourist destinations like the one where we used to live and which I still look at nostalgically don't work either...

Windows 10 - I strongly recommend against it. Sh*t it.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Happy as a clam at a bar mitzvah with 7 Pro. Won't change until they entirely stop supporting it. And maybe not even then. There are a few key applications I must have the Windows versions of (or there are no Linux versions at all) or I'd go Mint. (Like going plaid, only leaves your mouth feeling fresher.)

So, no 10 for me for the foreseeable future.

What do you need to do that Mint won't? (or another modern Linux distro)

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
The wife still has a machine that runs Vista.

You're trying to pull our leg. There is not and has never been in the history of the world such a thing as a machine that runs Vista.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can Linux run windows applications and utilities? I'm tied to MS by various small company applications designed for windows only.

Of course one is eventually forced to re-buy everything just because OS upgrades result in application upgrades and files are no longer compatible with older versions. But for now I'm still happily on a XP netbook and a Vista laptop.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Windows is not Linux. Most applications for Linux are free and open source. Some Window$ programs will run within Linux. Some programs are written to run on any platform.

Many people seem to want a Windoze program because they like it, not being prepared to use an open source alternative which runs on anything. People are welcome to pay to buy an operating system and applications. They are also welcome to use free things. The choice is yours.

Mostly I use Linux packages for everything. The things that are closed source and Windows I run with Wine and the only thing I actually use Windows for is a GPS, for which I use WinXP running basically as a Linux application inside free VirtualBox.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Many people seem to want a Windoze program because they like it, not being prepared to use an open source alternative which runs on anything.

Because they are not as good. Sorry, they are not. Some are very good, but there are always problems.

Question for the Vista users: Why? Win 7 will run on those machines with much more stability.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry,
For our Toshiba satellite 300 Windows 7 will run but the graphics and audio drivers have not been created so you are reduced to basic graphics (800x640) and external/usb audio (but not my Soundblaster Extigy as there are no drivers for that after Vista).

Linux (and probably BSD) always seem to have the drivers.

The real deterrent for me is not being able to get pre-installed PCs and some incompatibilities between MsOffice and Open Source versions if there is complex formatting. So I generally use a form of Linux (Scientific Linux at the moment) but I have a windows machine for that software that won't run on Linux or Mac.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

For the same reason I am not upgrading my Academy's
BenQ Joybook Vista machine to Win 7. It does not pass the Microsoft Win7 upgrade test.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

Many people seem to want a Windoze program because they like it, not being prepared to use an open source alternative which runs on anything.

Because they are not as good. Sorry, they are not. Some are very good, but there are always problems.
But not as many as you might think.

Most of the "problems" arise from the simple fact the alternative programs do things slightly differently - it's just a small question of learning how the new program does things, rather than demanding that it works exactly the same as MS.

Unless you are doing something really esoteric with spreadsheets or presentations, the vast majority of people could easily use an alternative, free program if they wanted to.

I have never used MS Office. At present I use OpenOffice - I have never found that I couldn't do what I needed to do.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Often the location of the problem is Windoze. Specifically we have idiocy like docx format that took several weeks for Open/Libre Office to work through. Microshoddy had violated the terms of open doc formats to do it but were able to get around it for some fudgey reason I cannot be bothered to recall. We have same things with hardware periodically with hardware makers keeping things secret due to agreements with M$ and it taking a while to sort out what they have obfuscated. Again the problem is viagra for the micro soft.

Whenever someone says that opensource is not as good and they want to pay for something, who wants to quarrel anyway? Let them, they already know everything. Some want real ale, some prefer fizzy koolaid.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016