homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Limbo.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Hell: Fausto (Page 1)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Fausto
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fuck you, coward.

[ 25. November 2016, 21:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Might we have some back-story, or a link? Thx.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right. Here you go. Context.

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is possible to read your post as lacking either hostility or condescension, but it is easier to read it as expressing one or both.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
It is possible to read your post as lacking either hostility or condescension, but it is easier to read it as expressing one or both.

I agree with you, but after reading a few of fausto's posts on that page, I think a little hostility and condescension are appropriate.
They are less than clearly written. In order to make sense of them, one is forced to mentally insert punctuation and add/change verbiage.

[ 08. September 2016, 05:44: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
mt--

Thanks for the link. I started reading there, then skimmed forward through many posts.

In what way do you think fausto is a coward? Are you saying he's waffling in his beliefs, and obscuring that with language?

I'm not fond of that kind of language about and approach to Jesus. But I'm also in a "don't know" space myself, now. FWIW, I think fausto thinks there's Something there, even if the details are unclear.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:

I read it as frustration.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found nowt wrong wi fausto's post that you, mousethief, objected to.

His personification of the 'Bible ... narrates' is perfectly standard.

He didn't have to nip back. And you CERTAINLY didn't have to up the ante down here did you?

There's summat else going on with you isn't there?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
fausto implied that mousethief had no business responding to a post that was addressed to Alan Cresswell. This is not how the ship works. Anyone is free to comment on any post, regardless of whom it was addressed to.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
fausto implied that mousethief had no business responding to a post that was addressed to Alan Cresswell. This is not how the ship works. Anyone is free to comment on any post, regardless of whom it was addressed to.

Moo

Sure. Fausto (a RL friend, fwiw) is a rare enough visitor here to not get that (yeah, shoulda coulda woulda read the commandments...). A rebuke/reminder was in order, but a hell-call? Seems like overkill to me.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Fuck you, coward.

Obviously your follow-up proves that I was all wrong to infer anything but pure Christian philia and agape from your comments, and that had I replied more obediently to your inquiry, we both would have come away better informed and more satisfied.

Therefore have I uttered that which I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.

Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in sackcloth and ashes.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

I see now how you read it that way, but what I was really objecting to was what I perceived as mousethief's disdainful tone, which to me did not seem to reflect much interest in pursuing a fruitful discussion. I did say I would have replied if the question had been posed more respectfully. I understand that the Ship boards are open forums and did not mean to suggest that he was inappropriately disrupting a private conversation.

Although anyone is free to comment on any post, no one is obligated to respond to every post.

[ 08. September 2016, 15:44: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey, Fausto. Read that Ehrman book you're extensively quoting from yet?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

I referred to it but I didn't quote from it. I have heard some of his lectures, though. I was paraphrasing some of the things he said in his lectures, which it appears he has expanded upon in greater depth his book.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Read this book I haven't bothered to yet. It'll convince you I'm right!"

[Razz]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by fausto:
quote:
Fuck you, coward.

Obviously your follow-up proves that I was all wrong to infer anything but pure Christian philia and agape from your comments, and that had I replied more obediently to your inquiry, we both would have come away better informed and more satisfied.

Therefore have I uttered that which I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.

This is kind of gorgeous, actually. Each participant demonstrating pristine, wholesome Hell values, each in their own special way.

I'm torn-- who do you sympathise with? The guy who was clearly spoiling for a fight, or the guy who was stupid enough to take the bait?

Marty, flip a coin for me, willya? I have a feeling this is your thread.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I referred to it but I didn't quote from it. I have heard some of his lectures, though. I was paraphrasing some of the things he said in his lectures, which it appears he has expanded upon in greater depth his book.
Not that I seek to pile more ashes on your beautifully grovelling self, but my understanding is, on the Purg thread, you finished off your recommendendation for the book you haven't read with some oblique little snipe about " people looking for an informed debate rather than protecting their preconcieved assertions" , or some shit like that. (Forgive me, I am using device that makes quoting difficult. Following your lead, I should now make a vague complaint about inaccurate quotes.)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Yeah, to be fair most of his books are a variation on the same theme and most are reworking of his talks. So if you've heard his talks and/or read one of his books you've got a pretty good idea of what the others say.

He's got a pretty good gig going.

--------------------
arse

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
quote:

Not that I seek to pile more ashes on your beautifully grovelling self, but my understanding is, on the Purg thread, you finished off your recommendendation for the book you haven't read with some oblique little snipe about " people looking for an informed debate rather than protecting their preconcieved assertions" , or some shit like that. (Forgive me, I am using device that makes quoting difficult. Following your lead, I should now make a vague complaint about inaccurate quotes.)
Hehe. Your memory is close enough for oral tradition.

If my own memory serves, I made that remark in response to Moo's sarcastically repeated request for published scholarship supporting a specific strawman premise -- that in particular preliterate or semiliterate cultures anthropological studies had affirmatively found oral history traditions to be inaccurate. I had been paraphrasing Ehrman's arguments and had already said so, including the observation that his own scholarly sources would be in his book, and had also already cited my personal conversations with two other distinguished professors well versed in the field of oral history (although I did not give their names out of concern for their privacy). Accordingly, since I had already tried in good faith to explain the scholarly basis underlying my comments, it seemed likely to me that Moo might be more eager to score facile but unenlightening debate points ("Ha! You can't name a paper that says exactly what I hypothetically require, can you!") than in seriously considering whether other kinds of scholarship might also challenge the default supposition of the Gospels' historicity from a different direction -- hence my reciprocal snark.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Hehe. Your memory is close enough for oral tradition.

If my own memory serves, I made that remark in response to Moo's sarcastically repeated request for published scholarship supporting a specific strawman premise -- that in particular preliterate or semiliterate cultures anthropological studies had affirmatively found oral history traditions to be inaccurate. I had been paraphrasing Ehrman's arguments and had already said so, including the observation that his own scholarly sources would be in his book, and had also already cited my personal conversations with two other distinguished professors well versed in the field of oral history (although I did not give their names out of concern for their privacy).

OK, but you'll admit that's a pretty shitty way to make an argument, right? Not only are you suggesting that Ehrman must have a reason to say what he says and that the references must exist in the book that you've not read nor can refer to, you've now brought in other sources which we can't interrogate.

That's not much different to an argument based on an appeal to authority and we're all just expected to take your word for it.

quote:
Accordingly, since I had already tried in good faith to explain the scholarly basis underlying my comments, it seemed likely to me that Moo might be more eager to score facile but unenlightening debate points ("Ha! You can't name a paper that says exactly what I hypothetically require, can you!")
No, come on, grow up. We can all make statements of this kind, you're not the only person in these parts who is on speaking terms with a range of academics in different disciplines.

The reason we don't tend to do this is because it doesn't actually advance anything very far and just tends to close down discussion. OK, so your mates say xyz, but in the absence of knowing who they are or what specific research they are referring to, we're not really any the wiser.

If you had an ounce of nouse, you might actually take the lead from the direction that your friends have pointed and see if you can dig up the research rather than just parroting something which might (a) be completely off the wall in the field or (b) misunderstood by you or (c) about something else altogether.

But no, it is easier just to close down the discussion by appealing to these authorities and then blaming others as lacking in enlightenment.

No, friend, what is lacking around here is the intellectual respect that you owe someone else in a discussion which means that you can actually refer to something rather more substantive than something you once heard your friend rant about one night down the pub.

quote:
than in seriously considering whether other kinds of scholarship might also challenge the default supposition of the Gospels' historicity from a different direction -- hence my reciprocal snark.
Explain to me exactly how Moo is supposed to have a serious scholarly discussion when you're refusing to name the sources you're getting your argument from and you've not actually bothered to invest the time in investigating yourself.

The problem here is entirely with you.

--------------------
arse

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

The problem here is entirely with you.

Maybe, but I suspect some of it also lies in the fear that if the Gospels were anything less than 100% historical fact, that might cast an intolerable degree of doubt upon other faith propositions, such as the authority of scripture, the virginity of Mary, the bodily Resurrection, etc., etc. -- even the very existence of God. (I don't think it necessarily does, but some people do.) That fear can provoke defensive and/or hostile reactions out of all proportion to the provocation. I have seen it happen before, and in much uglier ways.

I don't doubt that I have beams in my eyes that blur my vision, nor that with much more time I could argue from a much better researched and more scholarly foundation -- but I also don't think I showed significantly more disrespect or argued significantly more inarticulately in that discussion than did others who disagreed with me.

Nevertheless, I abhor myself and repent in sackcloth and ashes.

[ 08. September 2016, 19:05: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Maybe, but I suspect some of it also lies in the fear that if the Gospels were anything less than 100% historical fact, that might cast an intolerable degree of doubt upon other faith propositions, such as the authority of scripture, the virginity of Mary, the bodily Resurrection, etc., etc. -- even the very existence of God. (I don't think it necessarily does, but some people do.) That fear can provoke defensive and/or hostile reactions out of all proportion to the provocation. I have seen it happen before, and in much uglier ways.

Now you're just projecting. The discussion was about the accuracy of the historical record, and you've provided "evidence" to support your opinion that it isn't very which consists of a conversation and a book you've not read.

And to top it all, you're now alleging that the reason people don't instantly accept your view is because they're fearful and - oooh, the pain of being a radical - they're just too wedded to the status quo etc and so on. Believe me when I tell you that we've all heard this kind of crap before.

quote:
I don't doubt that I have beams in my eyes that blur my vision, nor that with much more time I could argue from a much better researched and more scholarly foundation -- but I also don't think I showed significantly more disrespect or argued significantly more inarticulately in that discussion than did others who disagreed with me.

Nevertheless, I abhor myself and repent in sackcloth and ashes.

Oh shut up. I mean, really, you must like the sound of your own voice if the best that you can come up with is a "sorry, not sorry" non-apology.

--------------------
arse

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Oh shut up.

Done.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Maybe, but I suspect some of it also lies in the fear that if the Gospels were anything less than 100% historical fact, that might cast an intolerable degree of doubt upon other faith propositions, such as the authority of scripture, the virginity of Mary, the bodily Resurrection, etc., etc. -- even the very existence of God. (I don't think it necessarily does, but some people do.)

That must be the quickest self-immolation of a Straw Man I've seen in a long time.

Most Christians are entirely sanguine about the idea that we have four gospels that contain different information and different emphases, but that they agree on the salient points while not being exactly the same is a strength, not a weakness.

If you want to argue about inerrancy, Dead Horses is ---> Otherwise, feel free to climb down off the hobby horse. Must be difficult to read Ehrman's book up there. Or not read it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Maybe, but I suspect some of it also lies in the fear that if the Gospels were anything less than 100% historical fact, that might cast an intolerable degree of doubt upon other faith propositions

I would be surprised if any of our regular contributors would hold such a simplistic opinion. We get the occasional visitor who does hold very simplistic views on the accuracy of Scripture, but they don't usually hang around for long when faced with the more nuanced and intelligent views of the majority of people here.

It would probably make for a much better discussion if you spent a bit of time finding out what people believe, rather than make assumptions. Especially when those assumptions are very wide of the mark.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
(Forgive me, I am using device that makes quoting difficult. ...)

This?

[Biased]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
Fuck you, coward.

Obviously this shows that you are an unmitigated asshole. The idea that someone's repose to a facial slap proves their initial overture was disingenuous is too stupid for words.

For those who care, which apparently doesn't include fausto the magnificent, I found his grandiloquence obfuscatory, and wondered exactly what it meant in plain English. I foresaw some blowback (boy was I right) and so wanted to preclude certain possible non-answers and so spelled out what I found unclear. Did my expressed attitude descend to fausto's level? One might take it that way.

What I find cowardly is the refusal to try to put his elocution into plain English. The "oh you hurt my widdle feewings" excuse is too precious coming from a blowhard, as has been noted upstream. Perhaps cowardice is not the most charitable explanation. Perhaps he realizes he's blowing smoke and got called on it, making him cranky.

Martin get off my leg.

Fausto's holier-than-thou card pretty much shows me right, and, I would suggest, is heading in the direction of, if not actually arriving at, ITTWACWS.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:

This?

[Biased]

Oooh. Nice try. Shame you didn't check that the site allowed hotlinking before you posted it. Also, linking to a picture of a bong, viewable in jurisdictions where the herb is still an illegal drug and not slapping an NSFW sticker on it?

Strike two. Why not take another swing at it, champ? I'm sure you'll hit it this time.

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If my own memory serves, I made that remark in response to Moo's sarcastically repeated request for published scholarship supporting a specific strawman premise -- that in particular preliterate or semiliterate cultures anthropological studies had affirmatively found oral history traditions to be inaccurate.

I wanted to know whether the cultures studied were modern illiterate cultures or ancient ones. There was a time when all ancient cultures were illiterate, even the ones which were very large and sophisticated. Gradually the concept of writing spread, but since it required special skills and equipment, most people continued with the old ways.

In modern times, all illiterate cultures are small and isolated. I don't believe that conclusions about small modern isolated cultures necessarily apply to large ancient cultures.

I have the impression that you believe everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant, stupid, in denial, or deliberately obstructive.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
quote:
Fuck you, coward.

Obviously this shows that you are an unmitigated asshole. The idea that someone's repose to a facial slap proves their initial overture was disingenuous is too stupid for words.

For those who care, which apparently doesn't include fausto the magnificent, I found his grandiloquence obfuscatory, and wondered exactly what it meant in plain English. I foresaw some blowback (boy was I right) and so wanted to preclude certain possible non-answers and so spelled out what I found unclear. Did my expressed attitude descend to fausto's level? One might take it that way.

What I find cowardly is the refusal to try to put his elocution into plain English. The "oh you hurt my widdle feewings" excuse is too precious coming from a blowhard, as has been noted upstream. Perhaps cowardice is not the most charitable explanation. Perhaps he realizes he's blowing smoke and got called on it, making him cranky.

Martin get off my leg.

(just to clarify stuff I realized I was pissing off the toilet about before.)

1. I rolled my eyes at you before I back- read from your first post. If you were testy, it worked to the benefit of a lot of people similarly disgruntled, it seems.

2. However, I only had a four word OP to go on other than the link, hence the back-reading part. (I know, I know...)

3. Hey, Martin doesn't just pick ANY leg to hump...

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:

[Fuck]This?

[Biased]

Ha, Ha, Freaking Ha, Felonious Punk.

And I was on a hyphee this morning. Let The Reader Understand.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
3. Hey, Martin doesn't just pick ANY leg to hump...

Look, I paid $6.99 for these slacks at Value Village and I don't want, um, that stuff all over them.

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry DT. Thanks for cleaning up my mess. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
mousethief.

You were unnecessarily (which is overegging the pudding, redundant, I realise) hostile.

There was NO call for it in the first place on that excellent thread and there was nothing wrong with fausto's English. And there was no point in adding a sulphurous ostrich egg to the mix with this Hell call for which you should be called to Hell.

Yeah fausto could have theoretically been superhumanly Christlike about your multiply inappropriate response.

Anyone like to advise how he should have removed that mote from his eye?

You've got a nasty one mate.

Where do I send the $6.99?

[ 09. September 2016, 12:10: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All monies gratefully received

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Martin, bugger off. If I need advice, you're the last person I'd seek it from. Last month you were all nicey nicey and now the first chance you get, you're jumping right back down my throat again. Damn, damn, damn me for ever trusting you again.

[ 09. September 2016, 12:48: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe you forgot that posting here is the equivalent of drawing a big, fat bull's eye on your chest? Or throat, or whatever.

I hardly think that Martin's recently being nice to you disqualifies him from pointing out that your hellcall was excessive. Pretty much spot on, I'd say, but it's your shtick to deflect such criticism with louder complaints about your critics.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Martin, bugger off. If I need advice, you're the last person I'd seek it from. Last month you were all nicey nicey and now the first chance you get, you're jumping right back down my throat again. Damn, damn, damn me for ever trusting you again.

You better be joking mate. It's not advice. It's iron to iron. A brotherly rebuke. Trust me.

--------------------
Love wins

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
quote:
quote:
Fuck you, coward.

Obviously this shows that you are an unmitigated asshole.
Is that a speck of psychological projection in your eye? Here, let me help you remove it. [Biased]
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

I hardly think that Martin's recently being nice to you disqualifies him from pointing out that your hellcall was excessive. Pretty much spot on, I'd say, but it's your shtick to deflect such criticism with louder complaints about your critics.

I see. So which part of (a) calling into question someone else's motives (b) describing someone else as unscholarly, hostile and defensive whilst (c) not offering any scholarly defence of your position whatsoever is unworthy of a hell call.

I'd agree that if he'd just been spouting off in the normal way of things then well, that'd be par for the course. But that's not the situation here, he's clearly saying something about Moo as a person and is deliberately trying to denigrate the scholarliness of Moo's position whilst at the same time callously refusing to provide support for his own.

To then get on a high-horse when someone asks what the fuck he is on about is about the height of hypocrisy.

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And now, of course, I'm all over the place.

I'd gone away from this thread initially with 'Fucking coward'. But that's NOT what you said mousethief. 'Fuck you, coward', which, even to my un-nuanced ear does have something of the humorously hyperbolic about it. As does 'Fucking coward' actually in hindsight, with the loop of cognitive dissonance. It's so OTT it's funny. I trust you intend that. Hell is full of such, but it's usually obvious. Done in lerve. Banter.

I squint and see a vein of sardonic, in your face humour throughout here. And therefore historically throughout. Or am I being Sir Percy Blakeney to your Citizen Chauvelin?

And you're really JUST hostile?

I can't believe that. I don't. I WON'T!

So you're using hostility purely for humorous, rhetorical effect.

And I'm a literal minded ijut.

Because I don't want to lose you my friend.

Hopefully that explains your original rock in the pond (Anglo-US polarization by a common language and wildly different culture) to fausto.

We Brits are ALL a tad old school. Feel like saying 'Steady on old man'. When you're just being Lenny Bruce.

So fuck you.

[ 09. September 2016, 13:50: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish you hadn't written those last three words.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Bugger. I was just trying to be mt to mt! And are you winding me up? Tripping my guilt switch?!

'stir-rewth! Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

--------------------
Love wins

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just don't like the f-word. Even in Hell.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Ffff...air enough BT. I consider myself reproached. Dash it all. 't'is a multihued thing, like a rapidly spinning Rubik cube along multiple axes. In everyday parlance I DON'T use it. Except to curse myself privately. And when I bang my head on the lintel. And it DOES help, unfortunately.

Oh double-minded man that I am!

--------------------
Love wins

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

But we love it. It has a stark, poetic honesty to it, an unambiguity that isn't present in such other phrases as 'assisted dying', 'collateral damage', 'smart bomb' or 'DWP assessment'.

So fuck away, everyone, fuck away.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Couldn't it be adjectivally interjected to create fine tmeses with all of those?

--------------------
Love wins

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

See, I was ready to leap to your defense, Martin, and then you throw in the word "tmeses" and I just want to pinch your nose. Showoff. And stop whacking yourself with the cat o' nine tails, it's been done, and everybody can hear you giggling over the whacking.

( Sigh. Oh, what the hell.)

MT, there was a reason I initially took Marty's first read of the situation as reasonable one. The scenario of you poking at someone until they blow up at you and then retiring to the fainting couch of Hell is an old one. And even given the fact that fausto is being an insufferable jackass doesn't change the sense I get that he just made a really handy target for someone who needed to go off on someone. Anyone.

Not that I want you to stop. Fucking have at 'im. I just don't think Martin ( or me) pointing out that we might not not absolutely 100% agree with you constitutes " jumping down your throat."

Yorick, however, is a giggly little Hell thread ambulance chaser. Have at him, too.

P.S. "Being MT to MT", Martin?

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

Not fond either. It connotes sexual violence, even when people claim it doesn't and that the roots of the word are gone in their aggressive usage (or even humourous). It's an Alice in Wonderland thing.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016