homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Who punches a baby?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Who punches a baby?
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What could possibly motivate anyone to leave a fist mark on the head of a 5 day old child? [Mad]

Thought it was a doll? Even if.....if.....he genuinely thought that, why punch it? Frankly, that sounds like bullshit, but I cannot and fathom the kind of mindset that perpetrates such violence.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
31 children under 16 were killed by their parents in England and Wales in 2015. The victims were more likely to be infants than older children.

A 2013 study into filicide found that while mental illness is over-represented in cases of filicide, still, only 40% of the 297 perpetrators studied had a recorded mental illness.

While randomly punching someone else's baby in a supermarket is, indeed, a bizarre thing to do, in the context of adult violence towards infants in general, it wouldn't be my biggest concern.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see what comes out. My first guess is that he may have some kind of mental health problem. That could explain (i) mistaking a baby for a doll and (ii) punching it. No doubt we will learn more if the story runs.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
31 children under 16 were killed by their parents in England and Wales in 2015. The victims were more likely to be infants than older children.

When I read the horrid stories about babies being killed, it's almost always by a parent or supposed babysitter (often mother's "boyfriend"). It's usually in anger because the baby is crying too loud, wetting his pants, etc. (you know, typical baby behavior). I know very little about babies, but thinking that the way to stop a baby's crying is to shake him (or her) makes no sense whatsoever. Shaking a baby so hard that it causes fatal brain damage is unthinkable.

However, the story in the o.p. is by a total stranger, so it seems to me to be a totally different situation. I just pray that no permanent damage was done (which seems to be the case, TBTG).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Let's see what comes out. My first guess is that he may have some kind of mental health problem. That could explain (i) mistaking a baby for a doll and (ii) punching it. No doubt we will learn more if the story runs.

That'll make it OK, if he is mentally ill. Because those people who are mentally ill are all fucking dangerous so the rest of us don't need to worry.

Whatever, he was a dangerous fuckhead who should be treated as such. Other problems he might have are irrelevant. Someone who goes around punching others is a dangerous person, and should be dealt with.

There are some babies I have wanted to punch. But I don't, because I am a moderately stable person.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, this idiot deserves all the scorn they're getting.

That said, who hasn't been tempted..?

--------------------
arse

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

You have to be kidding. But you're not are you?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tempted to punch a baby? That is fucked up even if you did not do it.
I am no angel and I have a temper. I have been tempted to swat a behind or smack a hand, but never punch a child.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

That'll make it OK, if he is mentally ill. Because those people who are mentally ill are all fucking dangerous so the rest of us don't need to worry.

Whatever, he was a dangerous fuckhead who should be treated as such. Other problems he might have are irrelevant. Someone who goes around punching others is a dangerous person, and should be dealt with.

There are some babies I have wanted to punch. But I don't, because I am a moderately stable person.

Don't talk bollocks. If he did this because he's mentally ill, of course he's dangerous, just as he is if he knew what he was doing. But if he was one of the small number of mentally ill people who are actually dangerous because of their illness, it's not his fault, is it? And so in this case the answer to this question 'who punches a baby?' might be- and I don't know the full facts and neither do you or anyone else on here, not that that'd stop you sounding off- someone who's not responsible for his actions. So shut up and wait for the story to unfold. You and everyone else on here who is masturbating their sense of outrage.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People get frustrated all the time, whether sane or insane. Most sane and insane people do neither hit anyone, nor express their annoyance with violence. It's not okay to have a murderous rage and to murder. It's the least mark of a civilized person, to control themselves. To not hit other people. To not pick their nose nor shit their pants, and eat neither.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, this idiot deserves all the scorn they're getting.

The only time I'm tempted is when I'm on public transport and someone tells a parent to "make" their child stop crying. As though it's a tap that can be turned off at will. Then I'm tempted to strike the person who made the request, but never the child.

If anything, I'd want to pick up the child and gently sway from side to side as I did will all my nieces and nephews when they were babies. Violence against a child is a concept I find utterly abhorrent.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
People get frustrated all the time, whether sane or insane. Most sane and insane people do neither hit anyone, nor express their annoyance with violence. It's not okay to have a murderous rage and to murder. It's the least mark of a civilized person, to control themselves. To not hit other people. To not pick their nose nor shit their pants, and eat neither.

Agreed, but some- a few- people do any or all of those things and aren't able to stop themselves. They may need to be controlled, for the sake of others and of themselves, but they can't be blamed. But as I say, we don't yet know in this case why he did it.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But as I say, we don't yet know in this case why he did it.

Which doesn't stop you putting the oar in for mental health issues, does it? And then getting all gold-fingered when I suggest that mentioning that is offensive?

It doesn't matter why. It was wrong. Anything else is justification. Most of what you have jacked over this thread is your justification for discriminating against others. While we know nothing different, lets start on the assumption that he was just like you.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
That said, who hasn't been tempted..? [/qb]

You have to be kidding. But you're not are you? [/QUOTE]

I've never punched anyone. But small children, particularly my own after days of sleepless nights, have driven me closest.

So you can get over yourself. If you can't see how a small child might induce someone to violence, never mind when mixed in with all the other factors which might be in play here, then you're not trying hard enough.

Obviously this is a crime and the perpetrator should be punished. But it is an understandable crime on some level, in my opinion. I can't imagine murdering someone with a steak-knife, but I think the majority of people have been tempted to punch a baby. Fortunately it doesn't seem to happen as often as it might.

--------------------
arse

St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but I think the majority of people have been tempted to punch a baby.

Punch, no. Throw across the room, yes.

I settled for yelling, stomping out of the room, and saying "YOU deal with him!" to my also-exhausted husband.

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trin
Shipmate
# 12100

- Posted      Profile for Trin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Q: What could motivate someone to do x (bizarre, inexplicable violent act)?

A: Maybe he has mental problems.

Perhaps I'm a bit simple. Where is the offence to be found in that suggestion?

Posts: 442 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think the majority of people have been tempted to punch a baby. Fortunately it doesn't seem to happen as often as it might.

Dunno about punching specifically, but the frustration felt by new parents towards their offspring is one of those Bad Things that no-one talks about in case they sound like a child abuser.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Trin:
Q: What could motivate someone to do x (bizarre, inexplicable violent act)?

A: Maybe he has mental problems.

Perhaps I'm a bit simple. Where is the offence to be found in that suggestion?

Well, there's a sexist presumption there that the perpetrator is male!

Maybe they have mental health problems, maybe they don't. What is offensive is:
a) Implied causality. i.e. the assumption that if someone is mentally ill then they pose a danger to society.
b) The lack of looking for other causes. i.e. we are satisfied that "mental illness" is a sufficient answer that requires no further examination of root cause and that other factors which may be at play are either irrelevant or dwarfed by the fact that someone is mentally ill.

In a complicated world, we yearn for a simple answer, but when that simple answer is a demographic (mentally ill, immigrants, evangelicals, gingers) then there's an inevitable stirring up of stigma and prejudice.

[ 08. September 2016, 13:18: Message edited by: Sipech ]

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
But as I say, we don't yet know in this case why he did it.

Which doesn't stop you putting the oar in for mental health issues, does it? And then getting all gold-fingered when I suggest that mentioning that is offensive?

It doesn't matter why. It was wrong. Anything else is justification. Most of what you have jacked over this thread is your justification for discriminating against others. While we know nothing different, lets start on the assumption that he was just like you.

Schroedinger's cat- that state of ambiguity. here he is in his online box. is he a pompous prick? or is he a completely pompous prick? Or is he simultaneously both?
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The situation is really bizarre. I could see (but not excuse) a stranger becoming unhinged if trapped for hours on a plane with a wailing baby. But if the situation was as described: new parents shopping, showing off the new baby, no indications if the child was crying (if she was persistently crying, most likely one parent would take her outside to walk around and jiggle her), a slight acquaintance of those present walks up... and punches her. Thinking she was a doll. And why would you even punch a stranger's doll anyway?! WTF!!! It's really mind-blowing. [Ultra confused]

The asshat is coming before the magistrate on Oct. 4. I'll want to see what he has to say.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frustration is becoming an excuse for violence.

I was on a train the other day. The doors stuck closed for a short time. A bloke started kicking it down! When his girlfriend told him to stop he said " I'm well stressed".

Neanderthal [Mad]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you can't see how a small child might induce someone to violence, never mind when mixed in with all the other factors which might be in play here, then you're not trying hard enough.

I can see how someone might be induced to have thoughts of violently silencing a child. But it's up to the adult to deal in an adult way with such thoughts and not act upon them. Feeling like that may be understandable, but acting on them, no.

For myself, I've certainly been tempted to shout very loudly and angrily at some kid's deliberately naughty behaviour. But have never done it. Laying a violent hand on a child just feels like the line that should never be crossed. I think that adults, especially those who have or work with kids, should be expected to know how to at least avoid responding inappropriately to an infant's provocative behaviour.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neanderthals punching strangers was briefly a part of my city's nightlife:
10th 'sucker punch' attack of 2015

"How could someone do such a thing?" sounds pretty silly after a demonstration of doing such a thing. I think the real question is "why" and wouldn't it be great if we had a better answer than "because, human."

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the victims of those sucker punches were men. Unprovoked male/male violence isn't uncommon - I've experienced it, and most guys I know have.

A man randomly punching a woman in the street is much rarer and more shocking, but punching a baby is really, really freaky. There are huge social taboos involved, hence people are speculating about mental illness (or drugs).

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Frustration is becoming an excuse for violence.

I was on a train the other day. The doors stuck closed for a short time. A bloke started kicking it down! When his girlfriend told him to stop he said " I'm well stressed".

Neanderthal [Mad]

Though at least he took it out on a door, rather than kicking a person.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sixty-three year old man is shopping in Tesco with his wife. His wife spots a couple she knows slightly, and goes to admire their new baby. He punches the five day old baby in its pram.

He claims he thought it was a doll.

Sixty three year old men, shopping with their wives in Tesco, are not the usual perpetrators of sucker punches.

There are two possibilities:

a) he genuinely thought that it was a doll (though why punch it?) in which case something is wrong with his thought processes or

b) he knew it was a very new baby, and punched it. In which case there is something wrong with his thought processes.

It is hard to see why he should be frustrated with the baby, crying or not. Possibly the shopping trip had already involved his wife stopping to talk to people she knew, and now she was stopping to talk to someone else. The story suggests that his wife knew the couple slightly, as the neighbours of a colleague, but he didn't know them.

People will inevitably wonder about mental illness, because it is so bizarre for a husband-and-wife trip to Tesco to culminate in the husband's arrest for punching a baby. Imagine how his wife must feel; one minute she is cooing over a new baby in its pram; the next minute her husband has punched it.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016