homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » WordPad

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: WordPad
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few weeks ago my pc automatically updated itself. It does this regularly, and it nearly always means trouble. On this occasion, all my Word documents are now saved as WordPad, a system with limited facilities for editing. The most annoying feature is that all my documents are now stored as Portrait, including this which only work as Landscape. Also frustrating is the fact that page breaks no longer appear, which makes it hard to plan where to insert new material.

Is anyone else suffering from this? Does anyone have a grimoire that will tell me how to exorcise this demon?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Robert. Hopefully this should work:

Right click on one of your word documents, and select "open with". Then scroll down & choose Word, then (*IMPORTANT*), make sure you tick the box that says "always use this app to open...", and click ok.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God Bless you goperryrevs! Have tried that, and it works - but there's no box that says "Always Open With". Will I have to do this every time?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. It might be because you're clicking through to the file in a recent files folder, or some other view.

Is there an option that says "Choose another app"? If so, you can click this, then do as above (you may need to click the 'more apps' button if Word isn't in the list.

Hurray! Nice to turn Hell into a user support forum...

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

YES! All my Word Pad documents have reverted now. This has become a very unHellish thread, but I am delighted.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly furry hat on

There's a computer support thread in Heaven. Use it.

Hostly furry hat off

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooooh that was gratifyingly nasty. If I may say so mein Host?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something something Styx something. Don't make me doff the furry host hat, comrade.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the broad starting theme of this, it does REALLY piss me off when windows updates stuff that it should really keep it's fat nose out of.

I fully accept that it need to update stuff. So go and do that, rather than prying around to see what else it can fuck up while it is at it.

And more than that, updating and restarting without confirming with me that I don't have anything open that might be important. Argh!

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh wait, this thread's not closed?

Where's the "any" key, please?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
On the broad starting theme of this, it does REALLY piss me off when windows updates stuff that it should really keep it's fat nose out of.

Simple solution: stop using Windows. It's crap.

--------------------
arse

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
grumble Microsoft grumble...

I've wrestled with the update problem, too. If you go to Control Panel > Windows Update > Options (?), you can tell it to check with you before updating, or even turn updates off.

FYI: If you then choose to update manually, there might be a problem with installing the updates in the right order, because there are no clues that I know of.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best fun is when it updates and then won't let you back in with the PIN code you set for your own computer. At all.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, but - you have these obliging folk from Microsoft (who have large numbers of staff on the Indian sub-continent) phoning constantly. Enlist their aid. Explain the problem in great detail. Unburden the whole of your history with the software along with your opinion that it is a fetid melange of dropsical coding committed by deranged baboons - not him of course, your new BF who is going to sort all this out for you I have to go now but just let me take you number and I'll call you back about my problem.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
But, but - you have these obliging folk from Microsoft (who have large numbers of staff on the Indian sub-continent) phoning constantly. Enlist their aid. Explain the problem in great detail. Unburden the whole of your history with the software along with your opinion that it is a fetid melange of dropsical coding committed by deranged baboons - not him of course, your new BF who is going to sort all this out for you I have to go now but just let me take you number and I'll call you back about my problem.

Please don't do this - a relative was properly scammed by some um person in exactly this way.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Also, why has my Win10 screensaver started putting those little "like this picture?" messages in Japanese?

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Because it hates you almost as much as I hate this thread.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Best fun is when it updates and then won't let you back in with the PIN code you set for your own computer. At all.

Yeah - they did that to me too. I can tell you how to get round it though, but I'm not going to.

The other pointless stunt the last update pulled on me was to log all machines out of the workgroup. As printers etc. are distributed around the place chez nous, it meant they randomly stopped working until I sussed they were attached to machines that upgraded overnight.

I'd convert to Apple, were it not for the fact that means running OSX, an OS designed by monomaniacal gibbons intent on ensuring you stop doing things your way. My way or the highway, chumps.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Because it hates you almost as much as I hate this thread.

Is that the translation of those little Japanese phrases?
[Axe murder]

(I couldn't care less what they say)

[ETA Honest Ron, I found a way too. Having taken myself off to church first [Votive] ]

[ 27. October 2016, 20:18: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never had trouble with Windows updating. I turned off automatic updating for a while when it was buggin me about Windows 10. And, some of the computers I leave running for days at a time simulating stuff have updates set so they won't install until I tell them it's OK to restart the computer. But, I've never had Windows updates that have in anyway screwed with the system. What are you all doing that gives you all these problems?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wearing short skirts and flaunting our way down the Microsoft alley. We were asking for it.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. [Big Grin] [Devil] )

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a very part-time job in a church which I love to pieces except they have a PC.

I feel like I just swore up and down, but all I said was "PC." Wait, that's swearing up and down, isn't it?

I don't know how people use PCs. It's so ridiculously complicated when anything goes wrong, and every time the computer updates itself without your permission, everything changes and you can't figure out the complicated way you just dealt with the problem.

We have 3 employees, all part-time: me, the priest, and a musician. Canon law should get on this - Episcopal churches should all have Macs.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan--

Do a web search on "Windows update problems". Many, many hits. Sometimes, an update or patch can make your computer *worse*. If you're lucky, you can remove the update/patch.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I know the stories.

But, after 20 years of using different versions of Windows at work and home, I have never personally had a problem with something stopping working after an update. I know update can reboot automatically, and so turn that feature off on systems that I need to keep running. And, there are times when it's frustrating to turn the computer on and have it wait to finish an update before it can be used - but, once up and running it works the same as before. The only other issue is for older systems updates create a bunch of installation files that fill up the hard drive, creating problems with lack of storage space - but, that's easily solved by deleting those temporary files.

I know, perhaps I've just been lucky to have had probably 10s of thousands of updates without any problem.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I think thinks are more complicated if you opt to use a Windows live account (not to be confused with your Microsoft Online account...).

I did this as it seemed to be required in order to use Office365 Online, which does have a lot of advantages (including very good tech support), and which I've caved in and signed up for basically because I've decided resistance to the Software As A Service trend is now irresistible and it's better to learn how to live with it now rather than later.

But it does seem to lead to weird things happening. One of my legacy computers inherited the wallpaper of a completely different computer for no apparent reason, and I have occasionally had to argue with my machine over my keyboard language.

I still don't know why my latest machine locked me out of my own PIN code after an update, though.

[ 28. October 2016, 07:43: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday, Oct.28, 2016: Alan Cresswell thinks to himself, God I'm bored with my universal likeability. What could I possibly do to make myself the most hated man on the boards? Ah, brag about my lack of Windows Update issues...

[ 28. October 2016, 07:55: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

LOL, Kelly. Perhaps Alan is the secret Windows Update whisperer?

ETA: Or maybe he's like Rob the rain god in the H2G2 books. Clouds loved him so much that the weather around him was always bad--and Rob didn't know what was causing it.

Maybe Alan is loved by Windows Update? Or the computers love him, and fix all update problems before Alan even knows!

[ 28. October 2016, 07:55: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I hadn't thought about the potential impact of my post on my "Mr Niceguy" reputation.

I was more concerned that I was jinxing myself for the next update.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
But, I've never had Windows updates that have in anyway screwed with the system. What are you all doing that gives you all these problems?

My Office 365 just got updated to the new version, and in the process discarded the contents of my "recently opened files" lists. That's basically my short-term memory.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I think thinks are more complicated if you opt to use a Windows live account (not to be confused with your Microsoft Online account...).

I did this as it seemed to be required in order to use Office365 Online, which does have a lot of advantages (including very good tech support), and which I've caved in and signed up for basically because I've decided resistance to the Software As A Service trend is now irresistible and it's better to learn how to live with it now rather than later.

But it does seem to lead to weird things happening. One of my legacy computers inherited the wallpaper of a completely different computer for no apparent reason, and I have occasionally had to argue with my machine over my keyboard language.

I still don't know why my latest machine locked me out of my own PIN code after an update, though.

I suspect the last para is answered by the first. That's how to get round it at any rate, though goodness only knows who thought it a good idea to default to the Microsoft live password on update. (It's only major updates that do this though, not the minor ones. At least at this end.)

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I hadn't thought about the potential impact of my post on my "Mr Niceguy" reputation.

I was more concerned that I was jinxing myself for the next update.

Oh, you just wait, my friend. You forgot to say "kinehoria."

*Yiddish expression roughly meaning, "Please don't punish me for my good luck, God."

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
reading this thread makes me realise one of the distinct advantages of being ancient - I do not have to attempt to understand!! On the Tech Support I have read what to do and have had a tentative go at following, and will persevere. However I will probably cheat and wait for the local home visit tech chap to come and watch me to see where I'm going wrong!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
LOL, Kelly. Perhaps Alan is the secret Windows Update whisperer?

ETA: Or maybe he's like Rob the rain god in the H2G2 books. Clouds loved him so much that the weather around him was always bad--and Rob didn't know what was causing it.

Maybe Alan is loved by Windows Update? Or the computers love him, and fix all update problems before Alan even knows!

But the clouds only rained on Rob.
What does Windows do?........

Alan, be very afraid.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Simple solution: stop using Windows. It's crap.
Windows is a operating system for atheists. How anyone can believe in God after using it is beyond me. Apple is only slightly better.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I will probably cheat and wait for the local home visit tech chap to come and watch me to see where I'm going wrong!

The important thing to remember about computers, SusanDoris, is that when everything goes fantastically well and the machine does precisely what you want, it's because you are very clever, talented and experienced.

When all goes wrong and it doesn't do what you want, it's because programs/operating systems/programmers/the internet/this computer/all computers are stupid.

If the visiting techie makes things work for you, it's not because you've been doing anything wrong or because the techie has done anything right; it's because the computer has stopped being stupid.

Trust me.

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Fuck, people, We have a tech thread in Heaven!

This is a place where you get to unleash your most potent venom against Bill Gates's sadistic ass, or share lurid war stories about ways in which Update fucked you over, and instead you are sipping valerian root tea and exchanging file organizing tips. Have you no imagination?

It's like the tech version of the "Decluttering Support" thread came over to brave the wild. Hell Thread glamping.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ok, I have a story SusanDoris will hate:

Years ago, I worked in the media lab of my community college. One night we heard a student sobbing from the audio production class across the hall.

The equiptment manager and I went over to see what was going on, and the girl was seated at a PC desperately trying to save her final Protools movie short project. 50 % of her grade. It would not save. My boss walked her through all the steps, nothing happened. Nobody could figure out what was going on. The girl kept clicking " save" and sniffling while my boss cleared her throat and hinted she needed to close the lab.

While my boss and the two other students left in the room were trying to soothe her, I decided some levity was needed, so I put my hands on the girl's monitor and intoned,"JE-SUS! HEAL THIS COMPUTER! BEGONE, DEMONS OF DYSFUNCTION," etc.

The girl: (click) (gasp) "It saved."

We told her she needed to include me in her Oscar speech.

And yes, I have tried that when my PC has fucked me over, and no, it hasn't worked since.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Windows is a operating system for atheists. How anyone can believe in God after using it is beyond me. Apple is only slightly better.

Windows was designed by people who want to make you stop believing in God. Apple OS is designed by people who think they are gods. Linux is designed by people who think they're working for Ormuzd but who are really working for Ahriman.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Ok, I have a story SusanDoris will hate...

Is that it? So there we all sat waiting for a story in which the vitriolic bunny would show us how to unleash our most potent venom against Bill Gates's sadistic ass, or share lurid war stories about ways in which Update fucked the warren over.

Instead we get a Brer Rabbit tale about the time the bunny was nearly funny?

Pfft. Drinking valerian root tea is WAY more hellish.

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody Cortana.

It is there when I switch on. Wanting me to give it an instruction.

Sorry Cortana, I can't do that. Because I have not logged in yet.

And I can't log in because I have no box to put the password in. No amount of pressing the screen, or the touchpad, or pressing keys can get past this. Because Cortana demands a question. If you ask a bloody question the nice voice tells me that I am not logged in so that cannot be done.

Cortana, you stupid twat I know that. I am trying to fucking log on. Only you are stopping this.

I am so frustrated I have resorted to swearing at robots.

Bloody Microsoft upgrades.

(Posted from Android tablet.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Teekeey Misha:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Ok, I have a story SusanDoris will hate...

Is that it? So there we all sat waiting for a story in which the vitriolic bunny would show us how to unleash our most potent venom against Bill Gates's sadistic ass, or share lurid war stories about ways in which Update fucked the warren over.

Instead we get a Brer Rabbit tale about the time the bunny was nearly funny?

Pfft. Drinking valerian root tea is WAY more hellish.

Nearly funny. Oh, you kid. I'll have you know the Blessing of the Hard Drive is still whispered about in hallowed tones lo these ( cough) years since I performed my miracle. At least people are trying now, Hellishness wise.

The only war story I actually have at the moment involves the suddenly missing driver for an HP fax/ scan/ copy machine. Everything except " scan" works. AND GUESS WHAT I FUCKING NEED!

I'm pretty sure it was a case of Spybot being an overachiever. But the fact that I need Spybot in the first place is Gates' fault, too, so fuck him anyway.

(I like your spirit, TM. Maybe it's time for a new round of that famous hell thread parody Circus game...)

[ 30. October 2016, 01:40: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teekeey Misha, Kelly Alves et al

Are we allowed to have a good laugh out loud in Hell?! Well, I’ve certainly had one this morning. Thank you. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

By the way, has anyone here used Ubuntu? One of my sons worked for them a while back. I never quite got the hang of what it was all about though.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Linux / Ubuntu. I just don't like trying to engage with the rest of the world* using Ubuntu.

* job application forms, writing materials for w*rk that are going to be used on Windows machines, dealing with submitted work created by someone else using OpenSource, anything with a format that has to work on Windows.

Apple are not unalloyed joy either, expensive, very slow updating their Macbooks and they have not been without problems.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Interesting. Thank you, CK.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016