homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Jack Chick - What surprises are in store? (RIP) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Jack Chick - What surprises are in store? (RIP)
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Jack Chick, cartoonist and purveyor of truly horrifying tracts, has gone to meet his maker. This man popularized the "magic words" approach to salvation, pushed an anti-Catholic, anti-semitic perspective of Christianity that was truly abhorrent. What do you think his biggest shock was upon meeting his Maker?

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would Jack recognise God?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
What do you think his biggest shock was upon meeting his Maker?

Not meeting his Maker?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That God is infinitely more gracious, loving, forgiving, understanding, and merciful than he ever imagined.

And that God will find a way to put his talents to better use. Perhaps a Chic booklet that's an intro to Heaven, stressing the above. If someone is familiar with his tracts and has beliefs similar to their content, a Chic intro booklet might help the person settle in.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had this lovely image of Jesus jumping out of a massive cake which has "Jews are fantastic" piped in icing on the top and wearing a rainbow pride type t-shirt shouting "surprise!"

And poor old Jack disintegrating into a pile of shame.

--------------------
arse

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meeting St. Peter.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

Not meeting his Maker?
Chick will meet his Maker. Whether he recognises Him is another matter and who is to say what his Maker will do with him?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Jack approaches the Pearly Gates, hears the faint strains of Ave Maria emanating from the cloudy yonders.)

JACK: Awww...shit.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
pushed an anti-Catholic, anti-semitic perspective of Christianity
His views on Jews would be more accurately termed philo-semtitic than anti-semitic, ie. He honoured Jews as the Chosen People, but thought they all needed to accept Christ or be damned.

And, actually, those views weren't all that far removed from mainstream(well, everything's relative) Christian Zionism. Though it did often veer into somewhat problematic territory. One supposedly pro-Jewish tract was called Support Your Local Jew(pretty obvious overtones), and was later changed to the less inflammatory Love The Jewish People.

His anti-Catholicism was largely a re-hasing of nativist and Know-Nothing propaganda from the 19th Century, along with the stuff he picked up from Alberta Rivera(some of which also copied the nativist stuff).

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking more of The Passover Plot.

[ 24. October 2016, 20:42: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Siegfried

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Chick.com domain is probably taking some very heavy traffic at the moment, because that was painfully slow to load.

Hopefully, the site will get to pay a vast amount to their providers in traffic fees over the next few days. That'd be a fitting legacy for Chick's tawdry little rags.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
The Chick.com domain is probably taking some very heavy traffic at the moment, because that was painfully slow to load.

Hopefully, the site will get to pay a vast amount to their providers in traffic fees over the next few days. That'd be a fitting legacy for Chick's tawdry little rags.

Here's a link to most of Chick's full-length colour comic books, dating mostly from the 1970s and drawn by the genuinely gifted Fred Carter.

Spellbound and The Broken Cross are my personal favourites, though it's rather unpleasant to think about the role they likely played in fueling the Satanic Panic in the late 80s to early 90s.

[ 24. October 2016, 21:00: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least he'll now know what Our Lord actually looks like..

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tried to get on and read spellbound but the site seems overused. No matter.

As to the question, i agree with Golden Key.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

Not meeting his Maker?
Meeting his own self.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the Wikipedia article on Jack Chick. He seems to have lived wayyyy under the radar, but there are some personal details. His wife nudged him towards Jesus, before they married--and they were married for 50 years. Other things--including Chinese propaganda!--nudged him towards doing his little tracts. Etc.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing everyone else invited to the party.

Of course he may just huddle in the kitchen at the breakfast bar with Fred Phelps nursing soda water and nibbling Ritz crackers while everyone else is whooping it up and doing the conga through the pearly gates chugging this great vino provided by the Boss and his Mom.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
At least he'll now know what Our Lord actually looks like..

IJ

My first thought, given that huge faceless white figure he usually depicted.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Lyda--

FWIW: Fred Phelps began changing, before he died, so he might be out dancing with everyone else. Unless he wants to give Jack Chick some help.
[Cool]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He will probably be surprised to see Our Lady seated on the steps of the Throne and leading the prayers and hymns of praise.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I just had this lovely image of Jesus jumping out of a massive cake which has "Jews are fantastic" piped in icing on the top and wearing a rainbow pride type t-shirt shouting "surprise!"

Sometimes seems like there's not much to smile about these days, but this did it for me.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

Sometimes seems like there's not much to smile about these days, but this did it for me.

[Big Grin]

And then offering to introduce Jack to his mum ...

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing that Heaven is full of gays?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
..and Catholics as well (with maybe a Pope or several...) [Two face]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In one of Chick's Tracts he suggests the faithful should ensure that they read all the Bible on the grounds that it would be dead embarrassing in the life to come, if one should bump into the Prophet Habbakuk and have to confess that one had never read his book.

"Jack Chick! Welcome to heaven! I'm the Prophet Habbakuk!
"Great! I must have read your book half a dozen times. It has been a real inspiration!"
"You're too kind. Anyway, come over and meet St. Ignatius Loyola".

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While having a belief is one thing, not being hat in hand about it is another. Thinking of Job and Matthew 7:2, the idea of standing in front of God after spending life as a hard case, along with how difficult it was even for Job, a righteous man, to answer questions from God, I get more than a little hinky.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
In one of Chick's Tracts he suggests the faithful should ensure that they read all the Bible on the grounds that it would be dead embarrassing in the life to come, if one should bump into the Prophet Habbakuk and have to confess that one had never read his book.

"Jack Chick! Welcome to heaven! I'm the Prophet Habbakuk!
"Great! I must have read your book half a dozen times. It has been a real inspiration!"
"You're too kind. Anyway, come over and meet St. Ignatius Loyola".

Oh, God. I was about nine when I first read that, and I totally scampered away to read the book of Habbakuk.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loyola? Isn't that guy, well, CATHOLIC?! In heaven?!! What about the Death Cookie? [Eek!]

[ 25. October 2016, 19:12: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

...and who knows? He might even come across some Muslims... [Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The barthsnotes blog entry on his death links to a number of stories that may be of interest given the direction of this thread:

http://barthsnotes.com/2016/10/25/jack-chick-the-worlds-most-published-author-has-died/

As would this document:

http://www.culthelp.info/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=1091

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an image in my head of his giant faceless Jesus surrounded by bunting, wearing a silly hat and holding a glass of champagne.

‘Welcome to the party Jack.’

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last Fundamentalist has died.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No - there are thousands left (behind).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jack Chick was a bona fide fundamentalist as the term was originally defined. The term fundamentalist now means nothing more than a conservative evangelical. Chick was the real deal. Sure, people who believe what Chick believed are still out there but they aren't as influential as Jack Chick. Jack Chick was a legend.

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Jack Chick was a legend.

He brought more ridicule to Christianity and likely turned many away with his overly simplistic view. His tracts are regarded with a mixture of derision and disdain/disgust by probably the majority of people--Christians included.
His bigotry was blatant, as in the aforementioned Death Cookie.

[ 26. October 2016, 17:08: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
Siegfried

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

One big surprise for him in Heaven might be to realise that no-one there had been 'converted' by his tracts...

Has anyone ever taken them seriously ? (Apart from Chick himself, of course.)

IJ

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
One big surprise for him in Heaven might be to realise that no-one there had been 'converted' by his tracts...

IJ

Well, keep in mind that his organization SELLS the tracts for money, to people who use them for evangelical purposes. If they were of absolutely no value whatsoever, I'd imagine the market for them would have cratered a long time ago.

As much as the more cerebral Christians on SOF etc may be loathe to admit it, a certain percentage of converts and native-born Christians do find threats of hellfire and damnation to be convincing arguments for conversion. And even the supposedly outlandish anti-Catholicsm is, to a large extent, just a re-hash of stuff like The Two Babylons and Babylon Mystery Religion, which I know at least some Christians consider credible.

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Jack Chick was a legend.

He brought more ridicule to Christianity and likely turned many away with his overly simplistic view. His tracts are regarded with a mixture of derision and disdain/disgust by probably the majority of people--Christians included.
His bigotry was blatant, as in the aforementioned Death Cookie.

All true but he's still a legend. The over the top Anti-Catholic bigotry just isn't a part of conservative Protestantism like it used to be. It's one of the reasons I said he was the last Fundamentalist. For that kind of bigotry, you have to read secular authors like Dan Brown.

Chick's nonsense caused a moral panic among Christians. The moral panic led to parents being overbearing out of fear. The fearful parenting ruined relationships between parents and children. I know. I lived through it. Still, I doubt most of the panicked parents knew that all of their fears were based on the conspiracy theories of a reclusive cartoonist. Chick was every bit as influential as the revivalists in their tents or the preachers first on the radio and then television. For that, Chick was a legend.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

YouTube has a lot of dramatizations, parodies and pastiches of Chick videos.

A dramatization The Broken Cross, with fairly good production values.

Though you kind of wonder how this group of Satanists has managed to stay out of trouble for so long.

MEMO

TO: Pastor Cooley

FR: Mayor Samuels

RE: Indiscreet ritual participants

Cooley, I know you're a very liberal pastor, but can you please stop bringing homeless drug- addicts to the Witches Sabbath? That guy eating fingers out on the highway almost blew our cover. Thanks.

[ 26. October 2016, 20:46: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, I stand corrected. I had forgotten the $$$ aspect of Chick's 'work', but it's sad to think that anyone actually takes his junk seriously.

Maybe he isn't in Heaven after all, but enjoying the hospitality of the boiler room... [Votive]

IJ

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:

D'you know, I think that in isolation that's actually quite charming.

[ 26. October 2016, 21:59: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

At least one wouldn't be alone in not being familiar with the minor prophets. Anyone for an in-depth study of Nahum and/or Obadiah, before it's too late?

IJ

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At least one wouldn't be alone in not being familiar with the minor prophets. Anyone for an in-depth study of Nahum and/or Obadiah, before it's too late?

IJ

Well, you know which board can host such a discussion, and it's a fine idea to boot.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

IJ

Well, keep in mind that his organization SELLS the tracts for money, to people who use them for evangelical purposes. If they were of absolutely no value whatsoever, I'd imagine the market for them would have cratered a long time ago.

As much as the more cerebral Christians on SOF etc may be loathe to admit it, a certain percentage of converts and native-born Christians do find threats of hellfire and damnation to be convincing arguments for conversion. And even the supposedly outlandish anti-Catholicsm is, to a large extent, just a re-hash of stuff like The Two Babylons and Babylon Mystery Religion, which I know at least some Christians consider credible.

--ISTM that, if hellfire and damnation are real, it's entirely reasonable to try to avoid them. Same with trying to avoid the bad happenings in Revelation.

--Some of the anti-Catholicism may be fall-out from Fr. Coughlin. (PBS) He wound up sounding rather like Sen. McCarthy, gone apoplectic during the Congressional investigation during the investigation of "Un-American Activities".

--Lots of people have taken his little tracts seriously. (Don't know about his other work. I don't think I'd heard of it until he died.) And I wouldn't be surprised if they "led someone to Christ".

--At my fundamentalist childhood church, the tracts had cautious semi-approval; but people did use them. I think maybe the objections had to do with points of doctrine.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IJ

All those poor fuckers probably have formed a support group.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
--Some of the anti-Catholicism may be fall-out from Fr. Coughlin. (PBS) He wound up sounding rather like Sen. McCarthy, gone apoplectic during the Congressional investigation during the investigation of "Un-American Activities".

Actually, a lot of Chick's anti-RC stuff is taken from Charles Chiniquy and Maria Monk, 19th century sensationalisrs who had their respective heydays lone before Father Coughline was ever heard of(Chiniquy claimed to have met Abraham Lincoln, to show you how far back he goes).

Chiniquy and Monk were basically the 19th Century equivalent of the people back in the late 80s who showed up on talk-shows claiming to have eaten babies for Satan.

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

Actually, a lot of Chick's anti-RC stuff is taken from Charles Chiniquy and Maria Monk, 19th century sensationalisrs who had their respective heydays lone before Father Coughline was ever heard of(Chiniquy claimed to have met Abraham Lincoln, to show you how far back he goes).

Chiniquy and Monk were basically the 19th Century equivalent of the people back in the late 80s who showed up on talk-shows claiming to have eaten babies for Satan.

Well, that rings some bells. My folks had a book by Charles Chiniquy, when I was a kid. I believe its central thesis was that Lincoln was murdered at the behest of the Jesuits, or some such thing. My dad also had a friend who was big into Chick tracts and used to hand them out like candy. I remember thinking at some point: I'm only eleven years old, but these seem ridiculous, and you seem lame. What am I missing here? Thirty years later:- on that subject at least, not much.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the biggest surprise for these people will be if they meet God at all: the second will be to discover that she is black and gay.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

L'organist--

I used to hope that God would present Herself to just-deceased Fred Phelps as a beautiful drag queen--just long enough to make a point.

[ 27. October 2016, 09:44: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016