homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » I Will Not Obey (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I Will Not Obey
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This happened.
This really, actually, truly happened.
It happened here.
We can't deny it. The next leader of my country is someone who embodies every single thing I have ever fought against.
I thought we were better than this. After all this fight and struggle...I believed in America. Still. Somehow.
I thought it couldn't happen. That Erdogan, Duterte, Le Pen, Farage, Putin, all your tinhorn dictators and facists, they couldn't happen here. We were land of the free, home of the brave. Not here.
I thought justice would prevail. That there were some things still unacceptable in civilized society. That hate and prejudice were fading. That "grab them by the pussy" was something unacceptable. That we, as Americans, could still recoil in horror at something, anything.

No.

We can't.

It happened here.

They tell me I'm studying law. What law will be left to practice? Separation of powers, dual sovereignty, a government of limited and enumerated powers, equal protection under the law, substantive due process, one person—one vote, freedoms of speech, press, assembly, religion, all these things we couldn't question because they were who we were—we chose someone who promised to violate all of them.

And people voted him in because he promised to do it.

No.

We are better than this.

America is more than its government. More than its leaders. More, even, than those who wish to crush their fellow citizens. This cannot, will not, be how this ends.
We survived the Gilded Age. Survived slavery, the Civil War, Lochner, and Bladensburg. The rights we now enjoy had to be won by someone; now we'll have to defend them.

We will not yield to tyranny.

I Will Not Obey.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we were better than this, Donald Trump would not be giving a victory speech on national television right now.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking of entering the ship's Celebrity Death Pool for the first time and putting all those politicians on the list. I don't wish them dead, but far better celebrities have left us in 2016. At least they didn't live to see this day [Frown]
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck all you Illary voters.

Fuck you all very much.

Eat shit and die.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right back atcha, romanlion. Nice of you to find the appropriate venue for your bullshit, which you've been spewing in Purgatory for months.
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:

Fuck you all very much.

Eat shit and die.

And the thing scarier and more obnoxiously bile inducing than Trump himself is his blinded, fuckwitted supporters. Well illustrated fucktard.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
quote:

Fuck you all very much.

Eat shit and die.

And the thing scarier and more obnoxiously bile inducing than Trump himself is his blinded, fuckwitted supporters. Well illustrated fucktard.
Fuck you, cunt.

i didn't vote for him.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Fuck you all very much.

Eat shit and die.

Go dip your scrotum in battery acid you illiterate fuckweasel.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Fuck you, cunt.

Cunt? Seriously? After all the sexism, you think this is okay. Just when I thought my opinion of you couldn't get any lower.
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

Fuck you all very much.

Eat shit and die.

Go dip your scrotum in battery acid you illiterate fuckweasel.
You lose, bitch...

Fuck off and draw your last, if you care about the rest of us...

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

Why do you post on the Ship, romanlion? I really do wonder. Do you really have nowhere else to vent your bile?
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is as if the sun rose this morning,and it is a black sun.
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Why do you post on the Ship, romanlion? I really do wonder. Do you really have nowhere else to vent your bile?

What would the place be without me?

Oh yeah....

You...

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brexit x3? Indeed!

You know what? Suddenly, upon waking up this morning, Boris Johnson as foreign sec doesn't seem so bad on the scale of things.

Congratulations America. Here is the idiot baton. It's yours now, well earned.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i didn't vote for him.

Excluded by the county intelligence test? Didn't realise that was a thing.

Or are you simply trolling because it makes you feel tough?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyway we all - and I mean the whole world - needs to learn pretty fast how to deal with elected fascism, this isn't just a problem for those unfortunate souls in the USA.

If Trump does half of what he said, we're all screwed. Take one thing - the Paris Climate Change agreement. If the US doesn't sign up, the thing is moot and we're all likely screwed.

Or imagine if he goes through with his promise to push out minorities. Another mass migration issue, this time in North America.

We need global mobilisation. Not just pointing fingers (although, boy, there are enough people to point at. Looking at you Farage, you piece of slime). Not just raging at the press or the polls. Not just ruing what might have been.

Organise and resist. Starting now. Otherwise we're into Weimar territory.

--------------------
arse

RuthW

# 13

romanlion, without you this would be a place where a woman would have a somewhat smaller chance of being called a cunt or a bitch.

[ 09. November 2016, 07:21: Message edited by: RuthW ]

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
quote:
i didn't vote for him.

True trolls don't last on boards like these as long as I have.

So go fuck yourself.

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

quote:
romanlion, without you this would be a place where a woman would have a somewhat smaller chance of being called a cunt or a bitch.

To be fair to romanscrotum, he appears to not bother differentiating whether calling a man or a woman a cunt or bitch. He's inclusive in his misogyny.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:

You measure the gender of a shipmate by their name I suppose?

Genius, that...

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Organise and resist. Starting now.

Over in Purgatory, Firenze said
quote:
I see a Zeitgeist. A spirit of fear, retreat and isolationism
I think the 'Kingdom of God' response to that is embodying a spirit of grace, openness and connection.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Studies have shown trolls are the same in real life as they are online. With the number of trolls rolling around the internet lately I guess it shouldn't be a surprise when people like Trump get into power. But are trolls happy? Does it really make you happy to say mean things about people? So maybe I do feel sorry for Roman Lion too as well as everyone else who is devastated by the result.
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

quote:
quote:
quote:
i didn't vote for him.

I'll take that as confirmation of option 1 then. Sweet.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Wait, I know this one - they get elected to the White House.

quote:
So go fuck yourself.
You do realise that nothing you could possibly say will make us feel any worse, right?

You're like a flea bite on a carcrash victim.

--------------------
arse

RuthW

# 13

quote:
quote:

You measure the gender of a shipmate by their name I suppose?

Genius, that...

I might be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time. But that takes nothing away from the sexism of your epithets.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Farage will be crowing. So will Putin.

It's a dark day. I didn't think we'd see this from America.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I think the 'Kingdom of God' response to that is embodying a spirit of grace, openness and connection.

Absolutely, the one thing the fascists can't stand is kindness. Refuse to co-operate with their ranting and callous abuse of minorities. Refuse to stand in line and do their bidding. Refuse to participate.

Love more. Care more. Take in the stranger.

--------------------
arse

RuthW

# 13

quote:

In the morning. But not tonight.
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

quote:

Curiously, that's the slogan of my local brothel

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
In the morning. But not tonight.

For sure, take the time you need to mourn and a minute to prepare yourself for the coming wave of fascism.

But in the morning, get up and organise.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Curiously, that's the slogan of my local brothel
Ha ha. I was in a con-evo church on Sunday that quietly has a family of Azerbaijanian muslims living in its premises because they have nowhere else to go*. I have to admit to being jealous.

*church bring-and-share meals are fun: "we have to make sure the muslim kids stay away from anything not halal!"

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess that Trump now has a couple of months to produce some policies before he gets sworn in.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is, in European notation, 9/11.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Today is, in European notation, 9/11.

Motherfucker*. [Disappointed]

(That's an exclamation, not name calling, just to clarify.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have I missed anything whilst I've been away?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I guess that Trump now has a couple of months to produce some policies before he gets sworn in.

Folks in the financial markets would sure appreciate it if he would pull that together sooner rather than later. I don't even want to think about what my retirement account looks like right now.

And then of course there will be the whole running the country thing.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It just goes to show what you can do when you have the FBI on your side. They spent most of Clinton's campaign time trying to imply she had done something criminal, then after completely failing to do more than convince the stupid that there where there was smoke there was fire, they brought it all up again just before the election (when they already knew there was nothing in Weiner's computer) and she lost her lead. I've always hated those self-important assholes. In 1968 in our small town they had my 20 year-old husband on their list of people to watch -- because he had long hair. Seriously.

This election has done something none of the other's managed to do. It's made me hate my neighbors.

I'm sick.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:

[Big Grin]

No. So, you can go away again.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i didn't vote for him.

Perhaps not, but when you're celebrating his victory so enthusiastically it makes no practical difference.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And in that spirit, I will say that the bit of his speech that I heard on the radio this morning was gracious and inclusive. So we are not without all hope.

Our Lady of Good Counsel, pray for us.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Big Grin]

No. You and Romanlion are still two cheeks of the same fetid, dysenteric arse.

Now fuck off.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

[Big Grin]

No. So, you can go away again.
Nice try.

This morning I thought that I would quite like to watch people getting in a lefty tizz because the world doesn't agree with them - again. Now where could I go to see that I wonder.

I'm surprised that the hanky-wringing still goes on when another nail is driven into the coffin of socialism. Aren't you used to it by now?

The democratic vote - by which I mean in it's purest sense of each person getting a vote and using it in secret in the way they choose - must be the most feared and hated tool for many on this site, because people will insist on using it to move to the right instead of the left.

For many of us who wish to see islam removed from our western culture - nicely but firmly! - today is a good day. Many voted for Trump because of that policy, and ignoring that fact is no longer an option.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
I'm surprised that the hanky-wringing still goes on when another nail is driven into the coffin of socialism.

This is not a tragedy for socialism. It's a tragedy for common sense.

Individual ballots are not to be feared.

What is to be feared is when the people casting the ballots do so on the basis of downright lies - like getting an extra £350m a week for the NHS - and the outcome when they don't get what was promised.

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

Deano, historically modern nations tend to swing from left to right and back, thankfully usually not going too far one way before swinging back the other way. I'm centre left in politics, but don't mind too much if a centre right government is in power as long is not too extreme and discriminatory against minorities, women and those with less money. What is your ideal world? Do you want the US/world to be right wing forever? If so is there a level you want it to stay at or do you want it to swing as far right as possible, and if so why for goodness sake? Just because a lot of us here lean left doesn't mean we are all 'socialists' and I shudder to think that you would consider yourself a fascist. So where on the right do you stand? This is not hellish at all but your simplistic 'death to socialism' message is getting boring.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Fuck you, cunt.

Cunt? Seriously? After all the sexism, you think this is okay. Just when I thought my opinion of you couldn't get any lower.
Actually, based on his posts, I suspect he doesn't like *anyone*.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They that sow the wind shall reap the whirlwind.

And I bet, in my old age, I will see the rest of the world treating with Trump and his minions as if they were rational beings.

Those who do not understand history are doomed to repeat it. (videlicet the Third Reich)

Heil Trump!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
I'm surprised that the hanky-wringing still goes on when another nail is driven into the coffin of socialism.

Since Mrs Clinton is not a socialist by a long way, if there's a nail in a coffin it isn't the coffin of socialism. Bernie would have been closer to socialism, but the Democrats decided not to back him. I admit to not having much knowledge of the other candidates, perhaps the Green candidate was socialist - but "third party candidate didn't get many votes" isn't very conclusive of anything.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Mili:
Deano, historically modern nations tend to swing from left to right and back, thankfully usually not going too far one way before swinging back the other way. I'm centre left in politics, but don't mind too much if a centre right government is in power as long is not too extreme and discriminatory against minorities, women and those with less money. What is your ideal world? Do you want the US/world to be right wing forever? If so is there a level you want it to stay at or do you want it to swing as far right as possible, and if so why for goodness sake? Just because a lot of us here lean left doesn't mean we are all 'socialists' and I shudder to think that you would consider yourself a fascist. So where on the right do you stand? This is not hellish at all but your simplistic 'death to socialism' message is getting boring.

I don't think you know my politics very well. Actually I'm a moderate, centre-right Conservative.

I wanted Ken Clarke to become our leader in the leadership election that David Cameron eventually won. You don't get much more centrist than that!

But round these parts that merely gets you voted in as one of the more caring, sharing Nazi's, such as Albert Speer, instead of Himmler for example.

Yes I am opposed to islam's insidious attachment to western culture and society and want it stopping and rolling back. But I also fully accept and am wholeheartedly in support of gay rights, same-sex marriage and of gay and women clergy. In fact they are at risk from the increased islamification of the west, and as I prefer to give gay people more rights and protection, and women more rights and protection, that drives my abhorence of islam as a political and cultural movement.

Of course that nice Mr and Mrs Muhammed who run the corner shop down the road won't actually kill a gay man or rape a "decadent" western woman, but just as most Germans didn't actually gas a jew in the 1940's but allowed it to happen on the quiet because it got rid of them, so Mr and Mrs Muhammed won't actually object to those muslims who will kill a gay man or rape western women, nor will they report them to the police. But they are nice.

So yes I accept the pendulum swings centrally left and centrally right and today is a good day for the right.

Which means there will be much gnashing and wailing on the Ship. It is going to be taking on water on the port-side... mainly tears of frustration that good old socialism has been rejected once again of course.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think you know my politics very well. Actually I'm a moderate, centre-right Conservative.

You're a moderate, centre-right Conservative who spits in people's drinks when they're not looking, are happy when a far-right demagogue gets elected, and wants Muslims to know their place - that place not being in Britain.

Just as you wouldn't know socialism if it gave you an NHS and a pension, you don't know what a moderate, centre-right Conservative looks like either.

Hint: go look in a mirror. That's not one.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
[...] Heil Trump!

There's an old subversive anti-Nazi joke in this, used back then. 'Heil' in German means 'hail', but also 'heal'.

'Heil Hitler!' - 'Heil ihn doch selber!' [Heal Hitler! - Heal him yourself!]

In that sense, yes please, 'Heal Trump'!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016