homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Mesozoic Park (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mesozoic Park
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Remember, in sabre fencing, the entire body is a target.

IIRC, the joy of sabre fencing is that in order to get a hit you have to be in a position that allows your opponent to hit you.

A bit like Hell really.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mornington Crescent.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You see? It's another bloody Circus thread.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, yes, that was exactly the comment I was making. Only, you know, I was subtle about it instead of just blurting it out.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you implying I have no impulse control? Because if you are

you'd be pretty much on the money.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

orfeo

# 13878

SQUIRREL!!

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

WHERE?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
You see? It's another bloody Circus thread.

Mt and KA are plotting to poke me all about with sharp bits of metal and you think it is a game. [Disappointed]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every one is a sock puppet of the previous poster. It's one big Quizmaster game that never died.

<ETA- sorry, not sure why this posted twice>

[ 12. January 2017, 18:56: Message edited by: Patdys ]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Every one is a sock puppet of the previous poster. It's one big Quizmaster game that never died.

<ETA- sorry, not sure why this posted twice>

You did it a purpose to imply that I was your sock puppet.
Sir, remove your hand.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Actually trying to find anything is a mess, clearly designed to distract and keep you poking around as long as possible.

And the more you poke around, the more rubbish they send you. A real ship of fools if ever there was one.

[ 12. January 2017, 22:08: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But I bet Deano voted Trump.

No I didn't formany reasons, but the main one because I'm English you thick bell-end.

Littlebugger, why don't you go and count your chromosomes because I'm not convinced you would pass an audit.

And just because some of you need reminding from time to time...

Nuclear weapons, Brexit, The Conservative Party, home-ownership, setting up pro-western governments in foreign parts, cheap shares from privatising things, immigration caps and being nasty to the French. These are all excellent.

Just saying.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, look who sobered up enough to use the keyboard!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, not sober enough to make sense.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
But, not sober enough to make sense.

A la the OP. What is the yank equivalent of Spar own brand?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I said, not sober enough to make any sense.

Do 7-11 do their own brand alcohol in the States? I know they do in Japan. Not that deano needs any more cheap booze to rot what's left of his brain.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Oh, look who sobered up enough to use the keyboard!

And a whole lot of monkeys short of making any sense.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
quote:
But I bet Deano voted Trump.

No I didn't formany reasons, but the main one because I'm English you thick bell-end.
Honestly, I meant to type "ThomasDF" but somehow the name of a different asshole puttered out of my typing fingers. [shrug] I'm getting old and losing track of all the assholes. Apologies for mixing you up with someone even stupider.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Apologies for mixing you up with someone even stupider.

Hang on a minute, are you certain? I don't know ThomasDF, so cannot be absolutely sure, but that is a massive claim.
Someone that stupid would need help breathing, much less posting.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do 7-11 do their own brand alcohol in the States?

See here.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I said, not sober enough to make any sense.

Do 7-11 do their own brand alcohol in the States? I know they do in Japan. Not that deano needs any more cheap booze to rot what's left of his brain.

I don't think 7-11 does alcohol brands. The legal issues on state and federal control of alcohol and chain franchise groups makes it very complicated to do so. It's easier to have a captive independent brand.

But Deano is England's pride and joy. You broke him, you bought him.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ThomasDF gave every indication of posting while sober. Stupid, but sober.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Mornington Crescent.

FUCK.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NO

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the Siren song of this thread, it would be lovely to hear that Tortuf is alive and thriving.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye! A Tortuf sighting would be a grand thing. I should poke him in an extra-Shippular medium. And JimT. And Scot. And Madgeo.

Comparing the relative cognitive power of ThomasDF and deano has one clear objective measure - one is at least smart enough to abide by the rules just enough to avoid being fed to the sharks, and one was not.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Comparing the relative cognitive power of ThomasDF and deano has one clear objective measure - one is at least smart enough to abide by the rules just enough to avoid being fed to the sharks, and one was not.

I thought you just may have decided to cut the sharks a break. I mean what have they ever done to warrant such a cruel and unusual punishment?

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

OUCH. A burn down under.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
OUCH. A burn down under.

That is what you get for sunbathing naked

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Perhaps, but my usual experience of sunbathing naked is that my thick fur pelt prevents too much issue thereabouts. Or was this just you fantasizing out loud?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Not even close. No offence intended, I'm sure you are ever so wonderful a specimen of manliness, what with a pony shaved into your pelt, but no.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He's a personal dare to you: make one declarative statement that isn't idiotically wrong.

Here are five:

On 07 January, 2017 at 20:07 you implied that someone has antisocial Personality Disorder and that it doesn't change much.

In the past, antisocial personality disorder was thought to be a lifelong disorder, but that's not always the case

In the past, antisocial personality disorder was thought to be a lifelong disorder, but that's not always the case

The person you were talking about has not been convicted of any criminal offence and was barely aged 18 when you had dealings with him.

Your profile does not say that you are medically qualified to make such a diagnosis.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Well, actually, that's only 4 because one of them is repeated. That you didn't bother to check in Preview Post probably counts as 'idiotically wrong'.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Here are five:

That's some dubious counting, even for an idiot.

quote:
you implied that someone has antisocial Personality Disorder and that it doesn't change much.
And your reaction suggests that you disagree. You went through all the trouble to look it up, saw that he meets most of the markers, and cling to the unproven aspects. That's kind of idiotic.

quote:

Well... at least you've learned how to attribute things others have written. Perhaps as you grow you'll learn to actually understand things other people write. For example, the clear semantic similarity between "mostly" and "not always". Idiot.

quote:
The person you were talking about has not been convicted of any criminal offence and was barely aged 18 when you had dealings with him.
1) Not convicted of a crime - that you know of. Meanwhile, Dr. Robert Hare does a pretty good job of explaining how many high-functioning psychopaths never actually get convicted of crimes. Despite all that, the causality of criminal systems make this marker highly -erm, suspect and subjective.
2) How old was the fuckwit in 2014 when I most recently had dealings with him, as I mentioned above? Idiot.

quote:
Your profile does not say that you are medically qualified to make such a diagnosis.
This one is only meta-idiotic, so I'll give it to you. Congratulations on having achieved a higher state of idiocy. Your inability to perceive facts suits the modern political era perfectly.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Well, actually, that's only 4

One might argue that "here are five" is one of the five. In an idiotic sort of way.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The person you were talking about has not been convicted of any criminal offence

Do you seriously believe that the only way to show a personality disorder is to be convicted of a criminal offence?

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The person you were talking about has not been convicted of any criminal offence

Do you seriously believe that the only way to show a personality disorder is to be convicted of a criminal offence?
I understood that the generally accepted criteria for measuring certain personality disorders agreed that criminal behaviour was NOT necessary for psycopathy to be diagnosed. Eg, someone can score high on the psychopathic scale - disassociation, lack of empathy, inability to 'read' others etc; and yet remain relatively harmless. I suppose that's not to say that there may be a greater potential for harm present.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:

In fairness, the DSM does specifically list ciminality as a marker for antisocial personality disorder. But it is couched in terms of disregard for normal prosocial boundaries, which are often codified as laws. Like, you know, things a community might refer to as Commandments. For example.

Gosh, now that I spell it out like that to myself, I see how very perceptive I am.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

But if it's like most DSM definitions it's "7 of these 10" -- so no single one of them, usually, is sine qua non.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

So, there was this study, part of which viewed brain-scans which were anonymous to the viewer. One of the doctors saw a scan who's patterns were indicative of a sociopath. He immediately spoke to his colleagues, urging that the person be notified/found as they could be a danger to others. As it happens, the scan was his. His friends, colleagues and perfectly normal family agreed he fit many of the patterns of a sociopath.
Whilst there is debate as to whether ASPD is a related, but separate, disorder, it does demonstrate that psychology rarely holds absolutes.
For sociopathy, it is though for some that childhood is a determinant of the outcome.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is not how diagnosis is done in mental health. The DSM is both a manual which tries to systemize symptoms and characteristics, and it is also a list of billing codes designed to correspond to the ICD (international classification of diseases). Which is why it contains things like PMS, which called "Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder", and . Personality disorder diagnosis requires a lot more care. Hare's psychopathy conception isn't the same as anti-social personality disorder. Psychopathy is empirically derived, and anti-social is clinically derived.

And it is political, with diagnostic thresholds generally lower for everything, except for some diagnoses like PTSD where the pharmaceutical companies have a lot less to gain, and organizations like those which server military veterans have a lot to lose in expenses.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Which is not how diagnosis is done in mental health.

Did not say a diagnosis was made, just observations.

quote:

Hare's psychopathy conception isn't the same as anti-social personality disorder.

His maybe not, others maybe so.
quote:
Psychopathy is empirically derived, and anti-social is clinically derived.

Very little in psychology is empirically derived.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AIUI some psychopaths are shrewd enough to recognize that certain behaviors will get them into serious trouble, so they refrain from these behaviors.

They have no conscience, but they value their own skin.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
If KenWrites manages to possess someone and pop by I may just sob uncontrollably.

This tempted me to log in as KenWritez, just to harvest your tears.
I understand the tears of virgins have some magical renown.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:

Do they do something interesting if I mix them with yours?
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The difference being?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Unless masturbation counts as sexual experience, there are likely a lot more virgins here than will admit.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Honestly, that's never come up. Ironic, really.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Luke

Soli Deo Gloria
# 306

- Posted      Profile for Luke   Author's homepage   Email Luke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Myrrh got planked. I kind of miss her, lunatic links and all. ... Gordon Cheng ...

Yeah I miss Myrrh.

But I was sad to see Gordon Cheng planked and I miss nurks.

--------------------
Emily's Voice

Posts: 822 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

I'm sad, too: sad in the way that I'm sad that smallpox is now confined to a couple of hopefully well-guarded fridges.

If you can't cope with the extraordinary latitude granted by the 10Cs, you're a dick, and you deserve everything that's coming to you.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016