homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » We can't have Muslims celebrating Australia Day (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: We can't have Muslims celebrating Australia Day
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
An Australia Day billboard featuring two girls in hijabs has been removed from a site in Melbourne after threats were made to the company behind it.

The digital sign featured rolling images of people from various cultural backgrounds, and one picture of two Muslim girls in front of the Australian flag sparked furious debate among social media users.

Hundreds of people criticised the image for being “too politically correct” or not a true reflection of Australia Day.

Article here.

FFS. Sometimes I truly despair of some of the people in this country.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome back, even if this had to occur to draw you from your absence.

Poor lamb producers - not so omg since they were lambasted from the other side for excluding those from the diverse backgrounds who inhabit tis land. Petty-minded bigots is a mild description of those protesting.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Up in Sydney there have been many cases of people being told to go back where they came from. Sometimes accompanied by violence. Not just directed to women in hijab but to others obviously of a different ethnicity. Often this happens on public transport. Terrible.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Up in Sydney there have been many cases of people being told to go back where they came from.

If those statements are from aboriginal people then it's unpleasant, but possibly justified. From anyone else it's just hypocrisy - probably associated with stupidity and ignorance.

As for the poster, that takes stupidity to new levels. There is a problem with social cohesion with some communities perceived as not integrating with other parts of society. Whether that perception reflects reality or not, deciding that some people can't celebrate a national event like Australia Day is the sort of thing that will act towards alienating those people from society. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, another bit of idiocy that will be telling young muslims that they aren't really welcome, and potentially driving them towards radicalism.

Bloody idiots.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish the company had the courage to ignore the threats and not let the racists win, but I guess they have to look after their employees [Frown] These idiots shouldn't be able to ruin things for everyone else.

Even when people just try to make Australia Day more inclusive there is trouble. The City of Fremantle has decided to put their celebrations on another date so not to exclude Aboriginal people (the 26th of January is Invasion Day to them)and this caused major backlash too, even from Western Australian politicians.

It also really annoys me that people who can't cope with a picture of Muslims on an Australia Day billboard are the first to falsely accuse Muslims of being offended by the Australian National Anthem or people eating pork. Yet they get offended every time someone speaks a language other than English, dresses in non-Western fashion or doesn't like to get drunk.

I don't want to 'celebrate' at all this year.

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So... Schroedinger's Muslim wants to celebrate Australia Day *and* is offended by the Australian flag? [Ultra confused]

We have xenophobic nutters over here, too. You have my deepest sympathy, fwiw.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fucking morons who think that "Australian" is a race and not a nationality.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

[Putting aside the fact that 'race' is a very dubious concept anyway].

Of course, an argument could be made for an "Australian race". The problem for the morons is that any such argument would mean that they are not part of that Australian race. Because the only plausible candidates for racial Australians would be the Aboriginal people and not the recent immigrants from Europe.

Fucking morons indeed.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate all the hypocritical patriotic smarm that emerges at this time of the year just so shops can sell bunting and politicians can do their token multicultural photo shoots.

I am truly thankful every day that I live in this place. Every day is an "Australia Day". Our family will not be flag waving on Jan 26 nor attending dubious gastronomic events where the summer heat may well cause the food to be off and the drinks warm. It is so stupid to schedule country wide "Crank up the barbie" parties in total fire ban weather. Ditto for fireworks. The indigenous in our family find it extremely painful. The immigrants in our family find it embarrassing and uncomfortable.

Sometimes I wonder if we are the only ones going Bah Humbug. Celebrate Australia? All the time. Australia Day - no way.

Fortunately we have a family birthday to celebrate instead.

[ 18. January 2017, 05:06: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree Invasion Day does tend to bring out the particularly parochial performance of Aussie pride and unpleasantness. It's pretty dire. In my neck of the woods, they are fighting a battle to shift the celebration to a less politically charged day - two days later. You know - a day the country wasn't invaded by colonisers?

Anyway, re the OP - all may not be lost.

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From little things - big things grow ...

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was initially amazed at the reaction to the shift of day for the celebration so it didn't fall on Jan 26...then I thought on it and was not surprised.

And good news re your links DK: at least there is some sanity out there.

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Good to see you posting here, Ian. I haven't heard from you for ages. Not that I am here much.

--------------------

----

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
I agree Invasion Day does tend to bring out the particularly parochial performance of Aussie pride and unpleasantness. It's pretty dire. In my neck of the woods, they are fighting a battle to shift the celebration to a less politically charged day - two days later. You know - a day the country wasn't invaded by colonisers?

Anyway, re the OP - all may not be lost.

That remark - "You know - a day that wasn't..." shows the futility and stupidity of the attempted shift.

If the day is going to shift, it's going to have to shift to a day that means something. Not to a day that has no significance in the nation's history. Can you imagine? We have fireworks on this day to commemorate nothing happening. Or just because it's time for a booze up.

Other countries would find it hilarious. If you want to see political correctness gone mad, this is a real example of it actually happening. Hey, let's shift the date so that people aren't offended... but just a tiny bit so as not to inconvenience anyone too much and so no one really forgets the connection to the "real" date that caused the celebration to be at this time of year.

If people want to shift the date, do it bloody properly. Because being a country that celebrates its national day on a deliberately non-significant date is pathetic.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It sounds like you have people there who want to Make Australia Great Again the same way many of Trump's followers want to Make America Great Again--make it once again the White Man's country.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

orfeo lost me at the point I read "political correctness gone mad." Every time I read that when it is said without irony, my eyes simultaneously glaze over and roll so hard they almost fall out of my skull. And another douchebag gets its wings.
There is actually no issue with moving the day at all. From 1935-1988 it was celebrated as a long weekend, and so was not necessarily the day of Jan 26. The idea that the day itself is sacrosanct, and we simply have to have celebrations on that day because it is meaningful, is horseshit.

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australia looks to have about 3 or more different independence days. Why not go with 4th December, commemorating Royal Assent of the Australia Act confirming Australian independence from the UK in 1985?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The good news out of all this has been that the poster's received lots of publicity, has not been removed and I gather is being more widely used by the advertiser. No knuckling down to the protest, but rather the opposite.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
There is actually no issue with moving the day at all.

There is clearly, however, an issue with your READING COMPREHENSION.

The reason I think it's political correctness gone mad isn't because I have a problem with moving the day. The reason I think it's gone mad is because it's completely delusional to think that moving celebrations by 2 days or to the nearest weekend fixes the problem! You're still setting the date by direct reference to 26 January, and pretending you're not!

I mean, do you actually think the Indigenous community is stupid enough to fall for that?

It's mad because it's not a genuine change at all. It's mad because it's basically trying not to inconvenience anyone in the vague hope of hoodwinking those who object to commemorating 26 January 1788.

This is perhaps the only time I've used "political correctness gone mad", ever. And it's not because I think changing is wrong. It's because I think pretending to change while not actually addressing the issue is wrong. It's because I think the change doesn't go nearly far enough. It's because I think shifting a couple of days is blatant tokenism. It's because I think it's a really bad case of pretending to care about Indigenous people while not actually giving a shit about their concerns.

[ 21. January 2017, 08:12: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Yes, it seems to me that if you're going to change the celebration then you actually change it. One option, of course, is to simply not have a national day at all. Or, change it to mark a different point in Australian history - there must have been a date when the various colonies on the continent united to be an identifiable nation, a day when the Australian nation became independent of the British, some point when the legal rights of the indigenous population were officially recognised as equal to the immigrant population and all Australians became equal under the law etc. Or, you could choose a natural event - is there a day when the Southern Cross is highest in the sky?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Yes, it seems to me that if you're going to change the celebration then you actually change it. One option, of course, is to simply not have a national day at all. Or, change it to mark a different point in Australian history - there must have been a date when the various colonies on the continent united to be an identifiable nation, a day when the Australian nation became independent of the British, some point when the legal rights of the indigenous population were officially recognised as equal to the immigrant population and all Australians became equal under the law etc. Or, you could choose a natural event - is there a day when the Southern Cross is highest in the sky?

Federation was on 1 January, 1901. So there's that, but people won't go for it because New Year's Day is already a holiday. The earlier steps could conceivably be used (referendums in 1899 but apparently they were all on different dates, passage by UK Parliament 5 July 1900, royal assent 9 July 1900).

Anzac Day (25 April) has become deeply popular, but it suffers from a couple of flaws. One is that it's shared with New Zealand. Another is that it's about war (and not only that, but a horribly flawed campaign where, begging your pardon, the British leadership got us massacred).

The Eureka Stockade (3 December 1854) has some resonance.

The referendum that decided Aboriginals might be people after all was on 27 May 1967.

Another option is 9 May, because all three of our Parliaments were opened on that date (in 1901, 1927 and 1988). But that might just be because I'm a legal nerd.

So yeah, there are at least some other possibilities that involve a genuine move to mark something else.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

The Eureka Stockade is pretty much a marginally recognised date, and none of the others has any at all.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

If someone hadn't decided it would be a good thing to mark, the date of the arrival of the first bunch of convicts to a penal colony would also have been a marginally recognised date.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Bring on the Republic, and Republic Day? I'd vote for July, August or September...scarcity of public holidays around there [at least in NSW if you are not a banker]. Always seems like a long stretch.
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
quote:
There is actually no issue with moving the day at all.

There is clearly, however, an issue with your READING COMPREHENSION.

Nice. Take a big post, only respond to one sentence. Honest.
quote:

The reason I think it's political correctness gone mad isn't because I have a problem with moving the day. The reason I think it's gone mad is because it's completely delusional to think that moving celebrations by 2 days or to the nearest weekend fixes the problem! You're still setting the date by direct reference to 26 January, and pretending you're not!

Not pretending anything of the sort, deadshit. Not fixing the public holiday is the issue there. I never suggested that moving the date two days would break the connection to invasion day itself. That would be an attempt to whitewash. Rather, moving to 28 Jan precisely acknowledges that something very significant happened on the day, and that we are choosing not to celebrate on that day because we know it is painful for many in our country. Compassion, not "political correctness" (that old terror of the privileged white) at all.
Don't read your idiotic thesis into my words. Leave it out. That's where it belongs.
quote:

I mean, do you actually think the Indigenous community is stupid enough to fall for that?

As it happens, I don't. No one does. Fremantle council consulted with the Noongar community before taking the decision. No one is trying to fool anyone. So much for straw men.
quote:

It's mad because it's not a genuine change at all. It's mad because it's basically trying not to inconvenience anyone in the vague hope of hoodwinking those who object to commemorating 26 January 1788.

No one is trying to hoodwink anyone, you burke. No one is suggesting Jan 26 didn't happen. Just that we stop celebrating the day it happened.
It's mad for one reason only - you're mad about it.

quote:
This is perhaps the only time I've used "political correctness gone mad", ever. And it's not because I think changing is wrong. It's because I think pretending to change while not actually addressing the issue is wrong. It's because I think the change doesn't go nearly far enough. It's because I think shifting a couple of days is blatant tokenism. It's because I think it's a really bad case of pretending to care about Indigenous people while not actually giving a shit about their concerns.
Spoken from a position of ignorance. As I've made clear, Freo council have spoken to the local community about it.
This is essentially the same as saying that because something is symbolic, and cannot on its own change everything, we shouldn't do it at all. By which logic, none of the sorry business that has happened should have. Is that your contention?

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now the racist nut jobs are turning up in Fremantle too [Frown] http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/reclaim-australia-planning-freo-australia-day-rally-20170121-gtw1a2.html

[ 22. January 2017, 11:05: Message edited by: Mili ]

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Reclaim Australia spokesbeing is suspiciously white.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orfeo wrote:
Anzac Day (25 April) has become deeply popular, but it suffers from a couple of flaws. One is that it's shared with New Zealand. Another is that it's about war (and not only that, but a horribly flawed campaign where, begging your pardon, the British leadership got us massacred).

Sorry, Orfeo,but I don't have a deep knowledge of Australian culture, being a benighted Canadian. Why would sharing 25 April with New Zealand be a problem? Is there mutual antipathy of which I'm unaware?

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

No, there's not mutual antipathy, but to claim something as your "national day" in those circumstances would raise eyebrows.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Nice. Take a big post, only respond to one sentence. Honest.

ROFL. You think because I only quoted one sentence, I was only responding to one sentence? Did you reading comprehension not involve noticing the relationship of the rest of my post to your arguments?

I'm sorry but that's just an absurd complaint in this instance. I addressed lots of your post. I had it open in another tab at the time. I simply didn't feel the need to quote it all. What purpose would it have served, other than requiring everyone to scroll down further?

As for the rest of your next post, it consists of exactly the doublespeak I'm arguing against. Stuff like this (oh look, I'm quoting MORE of your post, aren't I good!).

quote:
Rather, moving to 28 Jan precisely acknowledges that something very significant happened on the day, and that we are choosing not to celebrate on that day because we know it is painful for many in our country.
You're still celebrating the invasion. There's some kind of self-delusion involved in thinking that Indigenous people will be fine with celebrating the invasion so long as you celebrate it sometime other than the anniversary.

quote:
No one is trying to hoodwink anyone, you burke. No one is suggesting Jan 26 didn't happen. Just that we stop celebrating the day it happened.
You are celebrating the day it happened. You're just celebrating it on a different day.

And it's not "burke", you berk.

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

If you read the information about the Fremantle event they say that the 28th is not a set date. Part of the reason they are having the event is to start a discussion of if there is a more inclusive date and way to celebrate being Australian. They also say they are not against people celebrating on the 26th if they want to. As an earlier poster said, Australia Day has not always been on the 26th of January anyway. It's convenient because it's in summer when it's nice to have a bbq, but no reason most people would care if it was changed.

As to Reclaim Australia - yes it's ironic that they called themselves that because they want to reclaim Australia for white people from their stereotyped idea of Muslims and non-white immigrants, but are now protesting against Aboriginal people who white people stole the country from. They are too stupid to see how hypocritical they are being.

orfeo

# 13878

Just for the record, I am well aware of the history of the date of the Australia Day holiday, having been born on the Australia Day holiday.

So you can all stop educating me on how sometimes we celebrate 26 January 1788 on a day other than 26 January. We are still celebrating 26 January 1788.

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

Here's a history of the day, it's pretty long but very informative and balanced. http://www.australiaday.org.au/australia-day/history/beginnings/
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
Orfeo wrote:

Sorry, Orfeo,but I don't have a deep knowledge of Australian culture, being a benighted Canadian. Why would sharing 25 April with New Zealand be a problem? Is there mutual antipathy of which I'm unaware?

NZ commemorates ANZAC Day on 25th of April, but our National Day is Waitangi Day on February 6, which is the anniversary of the signing of the
Treaty of Waitangi/Te Tiriti o Waitangi which is our founding document.

I think it would be inappropriate to share a national day for the reasons Orfeo mentioned, and also the countries have different histories. In both cases the majority of settlers may have come from Britain, the but original inhabitants were totally different peoples.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see the point of changing the date for Australia day. No matter which day was chosen, someone woud be unhappy. And then again the choice has to have some significance. I have a grand daughter with a birthday on Christmas Day and the family opined that her birthday should be celebrated on a different day. She very strongly declined as she quite rightly claims her birthday as December 25th.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I can't see the point of changing the date for Australia day. No matter which day was chosen, someone woud be unhappy. And then again the choice has to have some significance. I have a grand daughter with a birthday on Christmas Day and the family opined that her birthday should be celebrated on a different day. She very strongly declined as she quite rightly claims her birthday as December 25th.

I think the whole purpose of Lent, the abstention for which once also included sexual abstention, was to prevent people being born on Christmas.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

orfeo - now you're not only ignoring the post, but the argument. And I don't any longer think it's because you're dishonest. I actually think it'd because you're an idiot.
My point, which is quite clear, is that there is a significant Day, but that we are choosing not to celebrate on the day because ofbwhatbit means to our Indigenous brothers and sisters. Celebrating not the day, but an act of inclusion.
You've ignored the stuff about sorry business, because you can't address it, clearly. You've also ignored the fact that Indigenous people themselves were consulted about the change, and many support it.
And the irony of being accused of doublespeak by someone who used the term "political correctness gone mad" is risible.
And o used "burke" very deliberately - from a sandgroper, on reference to one of our most corrupt former premiers, IRS an insult we reserve for a special breed of dickhead.

--------------------

----

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
My point, which is quite clear, is that there is a significant Day, but that we are choosing not to celebrate on the day because ofbwhatbit means to our Indigenous brothers and sisters. Celebrating not the day, but an act of inclusion.

And my point, which is equally clear, is that "celebrate on the day" and "celebrate the day" are two different things, and that moving the celebration does not really change the nature of the celebration.

"not celebrate on the day" and "not celebrate the day" are not synonyms, no matter how much you keep trying to equate them.

People frequently have a birthday party on a day other than their birthday. No-one says that they're having a party to mark 2 days after their birthday, or 3 days before it. They're still celebrating their birthday.

Which is why I think the last sentence I've quoted is bunkum. I simply do not believe that something other than the day is being celebrated. And just because some Indigenous people took part in the same woolly thinking you're engaging in does not somehow prevent it from being woolly thinking. I'd be pretty confident of finding different Indigenous people who reacted exactly the same way I'm reacting.

[ 24. January 2017, 13:13: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Really, whether you like it or not your argument looks like a claim that some Indigenous people said it was fine to celebrate the invasion so long as you didn't do it on Invasion Day.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

*is an insult. Not sure how IRS got involved.

--------------------

----

orfeo

# 13878

Oh what the hell. I might as well be specific about one of my personal sources of skepticism here.

I was born on January 28. I frequently celebrate my birthday on January 26. In many years it's the closest convenient date for a family gathering, as it's guaranteed none of us are working. Being a public holiday.

So what's happening here is that while I know damn well shifting from January 28 to January 26 is nothing more than a matter of convenience that doesn't change the nature of my birthday celebration, you're trying to persuade me that changing from January 26 to January 28 is going to do something to meaningfully dissociate the celebration from Invasion Day.

Is it any wonder I'm not buying this?

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Honestly, I don't know why I bother. But, I do.
This is not "wooly thinking". It is not equating or conflating anything. To just ignore the day would simply be to pretend nothing happened. Something did happen - the start of an invasion and genocide.
If you want to have a discussion about whether or not "celebrating" is the right thing to do, then that is probably worthwhile (keeping in mind that we have "celebrants" at funerals, I suppose). A lot more worthwhile than anything you've said on this thread so far. But forgetting what happened cannot be an option. You are arguing, which you've done from the beginning of our dialogue, that I am advocating simply moving the day, so as to be politically correct. I am not. I don't know how else, or in what other - perhaps smaller - words I can explain that to you. This is about remembering what happened, acknowledging it is a painful day, and including Indigenous people by not celebrating that day.
And your second post is beneath contempt - just another attempt to fit my argument into the procrustrean bed you've already decided to force it into. You can fuck off with that. Burke.

--------------------

----

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

I don't know what the actual fuck you think your birthday has to do with this, but it's a really awful analogy. Presumably, the people in your life are happy you were born, and celebrate it with you. They will do it whenever you choose to do it. If one's birthday is on a Tuesday, one might celebrate on a Saturday for convenience. There is no dissociation.
"Changing the date" (now a movement that has spawned a couple of songs, and no doubt its own hashtag or whatever the kids are calling them) is not the same. No one - no one - is thinking that people are going to simply forget about the significance of Jan 26 because the commemoration is now two days later. Further, no one I know of is suggesting this is something that is simply going to happen with no interpretive or communicative or educative work - as if the date will simply change with no further explanation or argument offered. It isn't the same as changing something for convenience' sake. I brought up the fact in an earlier post that the day used to be celebrated/remembered etc on the nearest Monday only to indicate that the date itself can and has been moved in the past, so anyone claiming that it can't be moved is simply wrong.

--------------------

----

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know what the actual fuck you think your birthday has to do with this, but it's a really awful analogy.

It's not an analogy, it's a nifty ruse for getting cake and beer.
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
To just ignore the day would simply be to pretend nothing happened. Something did happen - the start of an invasion and genocide.
If you want to have a discussion about whether or not "celebrating" is the right thing to do, then that is probably worthwhile

I'm not reading any suggestion that the day be ignored. The issue ISTM from across the other side of the world is that 26th January is a day chosen to celebrate the founding of Australia, but it is also a day to commemorate the fact that with that came an invasion of British people and the genocide of the indigenous people. Keeping Australia Day associated with the 26th January (which includes any change to the nearest Monday for convenience) will mean that the holiday will need to combine both aspects. Which is always going to be a tension - but perhaps it is good to have them in tension to make sure people don't forget that the establishment of Australia as a nation came at great cost to the indigenous people.

An alternative is to divide the events, keeping the 26th January as a commemoration of the invasion and genocide of the indigenous people and selecting another appropriate date in Australian history for the celebration of Australia. Or, another alternative is to ditch the idea of a national day altogether.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
An alternative is to divide the events, keeping the 26th January as a commemoration of the invasion and genocide of the indigenous people and selecting another appropriate date in Australian history for the celebration of Australia. Or, another alternative is to ditch the idea of a national day altogether.

I was thinking along those lines. I suppose you could say that there's no national day for the UK - the Scots have St Andrew, the Welsh St David, Battle of the Boyne for Northern Ireland, but I can't think of any one day for England or for the UK as a whole. Any other countries fall into that category?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

This map suggests that Denmark also manages without a national day.

But, perhaps the UK will select 23rd June ... commemoration of the day we decided to become a small island of bigots.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it is, there will be a number of people holding out not to celebrate it.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
To just ignore the day would simply be to pretend nothing happened. Something did happen - the start of an invasion and genocide.

As Alan said, no-one is requiring ignoring. It's just maybe that fireworks and a party aren't the thing?

quote:
If you want to have a discussion about whether or not "celebrating" is the right thing to do, then that is probably worthwhile (keeping in mind that we have "celebrants" at funerals, I suppose). A lot more worthwhile than anything you've said on this thread so far.
That's exactly the discussion we HAVE been having. You just haven't worked it out. You've been talking about "moving the celebrations" from your very first post and you haven't until now shown a flicker of recognition that my entire reaction has been about the fact that YOU ARE STILL CELEBRATING.

quote:
This is about remembering what happened, acknowledging it is a painful day, and including Indigenous people by not celebrating that day.
And the penny that was dropping has disappeared again. Then stop celebrating it! Stop thinking that having a party 2 days after is not having an Invasion Day Party! How the hell does that "acknowledge it is a painful day"?

[ 24. January 2017, 19:43: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
This map suggests that Denmark also manages without a national day.

But, perhaps the UK will select 23rd June ... commemoration of the day we decided to become a small island of bigots.

Thanks. To suggest, as the map does, that Australia Day is "unification/revolution-related" seems wrong to me. It is the founding of the colony, and at the same time a day of invasion - neither being unification or a revolution.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016