homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Martinsplaining (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Martinsplaining
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Martin turns up on p2 of the Annunciation thread to tell us this:

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
I find dealing with fellow Christians who have to believe things that I can't, that I'm invincibly ignorant of, which is most, discouraging. How we work together despite these unbridgeable gulfs I don't know.

Let me give you a clue. Stop patronising everbody else and expecting them to do the legwork to understand your deliberately unintelligible prose/think up (as you imagine it) to your level.

If you were as smart as you think you are, you’d find it within yourself to think down (as you see it) to our level.

In the same post you opine that you need
quote:
the freedom of Hell
Maybe you do. Hell is here to be used. If you can’t express yourself in terms acceptable for Purgatorial discourse, stay away.

In the meantime, as evidence of your stupidity and unwillingness to put any effort into achieving the lofty aspiration you alluded to above:

In the same post you attack Ricardus by misattributing views to him that were expressed by others.

Ricardus tried to clarify, to no avail, tried again, as did The Scrumpmeister, me, Ricardus (again), and me (again).

After six posts trying to clarify, your only response was to continue to fail to understand and further stir the pot by misquoting another poster’s unhelpful comments so as to make them even more inflammatory than they already were. No apology, no acceptance of your original, disruptive, deliberate (?) misunderstanding and shit-stirring.

Not content with that, you stir the pot still further by heading off into a tangent about double predestination.

Lamb Chopped intervenes and you admit that in your response to her you were toying with her: this strikes me as a prima facie admission of trolling and it's the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

You then equate her belief in a miraculous event with a fairie [sic] story, accuse me of having introduced magic when I had done nothing of the kind, accuse Lamb Chopped in the same post of believing in magic, refuse to define your terms, and admit your accusation was pejorative.

Once again I would like to remind you that the rest of us are not here for your entertainment, to be toyed with or insulted as you see fit, left to struggle through your more enigmatic posts and be rewarded only with gross misrepresentation or more enigma when we bother to reply.

If you’re serious about wanting to deal with fellow Christians, start by showing them some respect and consideration and stop behaving like such a sociopath.

Clue: the right response to this is not a public exercise in self-pity, the right response is to stop behaving like that. I know you can do better.

[ 15. November 2017, 15:58: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Clue: the right response to this is not a public exercise in self-pity, the right response is to stop behaving like that.

My money's on the public exercise in self-pity, with a side order of ostentatious sackcloth-and-ashes-donning.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Clue: the right response to this is not a public exercise in self-pity, the right response is to stop behaving like that.

My money's on the public exercise in self-pity, with a side order of ostentatious sackcloth-and-ashes-donning.
And then, as you were. Again.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard that within every fake mystic, there is a genuine one struggling to get out. Maybe, maybe not. But there isn't time to wait.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll get me coat.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
His posts would be so much simpler if Martin simply wrote in a way that others can understand.

I'm still totally confused about what he is on about in that thread. He just seems to be lobbing grenades at other people, suggesting that they're somehow intellectually inferior for some reason I don't quite understand and then sniping when nobody gets the point of his cryptic posts.

I think his main point is that others are believing in fairy stories and magic.

OK, not particularly original, but possibly an opinion worth offering.

But I don't get the needling of LC and Eutychus. What gives Martin?

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll get me coat.

Really - that's it?

You're just going to fuck off instead of explaining what just happened?

[Eek!]

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll get me coat.

No, flouncing doesn't cut it either if you had any worthwhile aspirations lurking in the first quote in my OP.

You kept offering to take it to Hell. Here we are. Bring it on.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, one does need to ask oneself— is The Return of Martin to Hell V1 really going to make the corn pop?

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bugger. It's the dissection of the Ricardus thing. I suppose I should follow all Eutychus' most-flattering-in-terms-of-attention links.

I accept all and each criticism. Again. Thank you, especially Eutychus. But not tonight.

As for my 63 year old 3rd class honours feral intelligence, wee-wee end of the Mensa pool, I'm aware of the lack of an emotional dimension to that. Believe it or not I rate virtually everybody here as smarter, better educated - I've only just properly discovered Tillich - and more experienced than myself, intellectually and emotionally, which is why I get so ... frustrated. Nice, clever people resorting to ... magic. Belief in divine intervention in our lives and consciousness.

Nonetheless I expect too much of others and not enough of myself. Sorry.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60, emphasis mine:
Thank you, especially Eutychus. But not tonight.

You just can't do a straight apology and change your behaviour, can you? You don't get to prevaricate when you offered to take it to Hell yourself in the first place.

I'm sick of being manipulated by you and I'm fed up with watching you try it on with other people.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

OK mate. Believe it or not I was too depressed to follow your links.

I apologize and wish to change. As in other areas of life I find that difficult.

--------------------
Love wins

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:

Still doesn't cut it.

If you had bothered to read the explanations people supplied in the first place, you would have realised sooner the extent to which you misrepresented Ricardus, and continued to do so.

And in this instance, in view of your multiple provocations on the thread and invitations to all and sundry to take it to Hell, being "too depressed" is just code for "sulking".

quote:
I apologize
That doesn't cut it either. For a start, you've dodged any response to the charge of toying with others for sport. Just what are you apologising for?

quote:
and wish to change
And that doesn't cut it either.

I could show you a whole prison full of inmates "wishing" to change. Few of them actually do.

It's not as though you weren't warned on the thread - which is a case study in recidivism on your part. My patience has run out (I can't speak for that of the H&As in this respect).

To quote John Wimber, "repentance means you don't get to do that again. Ever".

quote:
As in other areas of life I find that difficult.
We all find stuff difficult. That's no excuse for a lack of basic respect for other Shipmates.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Broke the "warning" link. It should have been to this post.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little suggestion, Martin.

A bit like 'posting while drunk', 'posting while depressed' does have its place, but we still have standards to uphold for the rest of the community, and in your more lucid moments, you most likely agree with that.

So if you're down with the Black Dog, there's a thread specifically for you in AS. Crapping over the rest of the boards is going to get you, especially you, some serious Adminly attention.

Personally speaking, I don't want to lose your presence here. But there's only so far you can push it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I am sorry for the lack of respect to Shipmates.

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bugger. It's the dissection of the Ricardus thing. I suppose I should follow all Eutychus' most-flattering-in-terms-of-attention links.

I accept all and each criticism. Again. Thank you, especially Eutychus. But not tonight.

As for my 63 year old 3rd class honours feral intelligence, wee-wee end of the Mensa pool, I'm aware of the lack of an emotional dimension to that. Believe it or not I rate virtually everybody here as smarter, better educated - I've only just properly discovered Tillich - and more experienced than myself, intellectually and emotionally, which is why I get so ... frustrated. Nice, clever people resorting to ... magic. Belief in divine intervention in our lives and consciousness..

There's a name for feigning modesty whilst giving someone a backhanded compliment and simultaneously ridiculing their most cherished beliefs (and implicitly, then, their intelligence). It's called passive-aggressive. Actually, I call it something else entirely but that's too salty of language for a nice church lady like me, even in the nether regions, although perhaps some less prissy shipmate will oblige.

Whatever you want to call it, polite or rude, it certainly ain't an apology.

It's always hard to read your affect, even here. So sure, I'll be Charlie Brown to your Lucy if you want to give it another shot.

[ 15. November 2017, 19:58: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Called it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just scroll past. Lost cause.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*non-hellish aside* hat tip to Eutychus for the thread title, and what will now no doubt become part of the Ship's own special jargon.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I apologize and wish to change. As in other areas of life I find that difficult.

Too depressed to follow links, but sufficiently with it for this:

quote:
I'm replying to LC in similar vein Ohher. And postmodern as I belatedly am I agree with you. I'm toying with her too of course, because she actually doesn't believe that tomorrow has already happened, but she does believe that her partner at least was miraculously preserved which is on the same spectrum of identifying with Clive Staples' fairie story. Luke knew Mary of course.

First, I don't know what you're talking about. I've been away from the boards for some time. I remember Lamb Chopped from before, and have a great deal of respect for her. Her partner's miraculous preservation is news to me, and I'll rely on LC's own statements about her beliefs before I'll rely on an interpretation of those by someone professing to "toy" with her.

Second, if you're too depressed to follow links, how is it you have no problem farting about with C.S. Lewis's name and book title? Why not just give us a straightforward "C. S. Lewis?" You're not too depressed to try and look clever, but you're too depressed to click on a link. Riiight.

As for wanting to change, I've lurked enough during my voluntary shore leave to have heard that before. Several times.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Well, one does need to ask oneself— is The Return of Martin to Hell V1 really going to make the corn pop?

Is there any corn left?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had a deja vu (been here before) experience and had to check the OP date as I thought it might be someone resuscitating an older thread. [Snigger]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'm so full of shit [Smile] and Gilmour is live from Pompeii. It's probably a recording. And I'm PWD, drunk, not depressed. But the opening is the conclusion I came to when walking round Victoria Park in the dark. Little aliens like from Half Life with blue ellipses glowing just above the ground. A Spanish white would you believe and bourbon to follow. The predictive text is excellent for when you're pissed.

I have no right. No right to expect. Anything of anyone here. That's what I realised. Along with the opening realisation. Damn he's good. Nothing touches Coming Back to Life.

Around 9 last night two ... Comfortably Numb! ... colleagues notified me of a guy having a breakdown in the toilet. So I manfully strode in. He scared the living shit out of me. So I leaned back, hands in pockets, made the right noises. We ended up hugging ... in the dunny ... he was a decent human being in a fucking shit storm of emotion looking for an explanation without hope. Poor guy. Poor, poor guy.

I was looking in the mirror, in the face of Christ and had no expectations.

Lesson l... no chance!

--------------------
Love wins

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm so full of shit

That was plenty, Martin; you could've stopped there. And not news, by the way. No need to wallow. Most of us are full of shit here; why should you be different, and so why bring it up?

Meanwhile, if you're trying for communication, this . . .

quote:
. . . and Gilmour is live from Pompeii. It's probably a recording. And I'm PWD, drunk, not depressed. But the opening is the conclusion I came to when walking round Victoria Park in the dark. Little aliens like from Half Life with blue ellipses glowing just above the ground. A Spanish white would you believe and bourbon to follow. The predictive text is excellent for when you're pissed.

. . . could be improved upon. Or perhaps just omitted. Or here's another idea: try not posting while smashed, why don't you?

As for this:

quote:
I have no right. No right to expect. Anything of anyone here. That's what I realised. Along with the opening realisation. Damn he's good. Nothing touches Coming Back to Life.

Around 9 last night two ... Comfortably Numb! ... colleagues notified me of a guy having a breakdown in the toilet. So I manfully strode in. He scared the living shit out of me. So I leaned back, hands in pockets, made the right noises. We ended up hugging ... in the dunny ... he was a decent human being in a fucking shit storm of emotion looking for an explanation without hope. Poor guy. Poor, poor guy.

I was looking in the mirror, in the face of Christ and had no expectations.

Lesson l... no chance!

Perhaps you could spare us your Adventures in Salvation in the Local Piss-Pit, whether successful or un-; how are they relevant to the fact that you continue to inSIST on posting cryptically here despite knowing full well it drives most of us batty, and that you continue to apologize for this behavior while never advancing any plans to alter it?

We have many posters here who manage to make their meanings plain, sometimes even elegantly. Try studying their posts. Clarity comes first, though. All the elegance in the fucking world is fucking useless if we can't figure out what the fuck you're being so fucking eloquent about.

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that your first language is English. Its written form, just like its spoken one, exists primarily as a means of communication. Perhaps you could try employing it for that purpose as opposed to using it to demonstrate the inner writhings of your profoundly sensitive, ineluctably deep, infinitely complex and sensitive poetic fucking soul.

Still need an outlet For the verbal flights of diarrhea, er, fancy? Take a fucking creative writing class and trot your stream-of-consciousness out for your classmates.

And for God's sake, take to heart the feedback you get from them.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Full of shit doesn't even begin to describe it. It's the faecal neutronium remnant of a collapsed shit-star from its shit-nova.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
I have no right. No right to expect. Anything of anyone here.

The problem isn't what you have or don't have a right to expect of others.

The problem is your lack of respect for others.

A lack of respect which continues in the form of subjecting us to your maudlin ramblings.

You can have interesting things to say. But as you can see from other responses on this thread, your schtick is getting really old and past its sell-by date. We're fed up with it. Put it to bed.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Can’t quite see that ‘maudlin ramblings' show a lack of respect for anyone.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Hosts are supposed to read every word of every post. (I suppose that is still the case anyway.) So, ramblings can become annoying.

I sometimes found myself - err "speed reading" - though some posters, knowing that they were just taking a large metaphoric crap on the board. If whatever the post was raised an indignant "AAWK" down the line I went back and read more carefully.

Self righteous scoldings can also become annoying.

I suppose it is a matter of perspective.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The maudlin ramblings are annoying when they are in the guise of a response to a specific charge of trolling (amongst other things) coupled with a positive invitation on the part of the poster to take the matter to Hell, and when they are the default position of the person in question.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't directing anything at you.

Best I can see you are doing your job.

I love Martin to death. That is the case even when he is mystifying as hell. Deliberate messing with other posters is a no no and he knows it.

[ 19. November 2017, 13:41: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I was answerting rolyn, in fact.

I love Martin to death too but sometimes it really does feel as if it will be the death of me.

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

Plus this particular maudlin ramble contained the following gem:

quote:
So I leaned back, hands in pockets, made the right noises.

IOW, Martin would have us know he used his words -- that is, "noises" -- to bend some poor stranger's head back around the right way.

This, apparently, shows us that Martin's perfectly capable, even when drunk, of pouring the soothing balm of coherence out upon a selected audience. We here, however, are apparently not worth that bother, as we're not currently weeping in the toilet.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
I love Martin to death. That is the case even when he is mystifying as hell. Deliberate messing with other posters is a no no and he knows it.

Does he? He says he knows it. But that's different from knowing it. He keeps coming back to it like a dog to vomit. By his actions he shows no sign of knowing it at all. Like a man who swears up and down he can speak Hungarian, then shows no sign whatsoever of understanding anything anyone says to him in Hungarian, nor ever speaks a word of it himself.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I think he was being metaphorical in that bit. It wasn’t another person he was engaging coherently with, but himself, as his reflection in the mirror. And Jesus. Natch.

Any further interpretations will be subject to a reasonable fee on request.

ETA CP with MT

[ 19. November 2017, 14:57: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Being Martinized can be an edifying experience at times.

His crack about "Gilmour is live from Pompeii" was pretty damn funny once I understood it.

But, that is just me. I had to learn the hard way that I cannot ever demand that those around me act in any specific way and thereby find happiness. I have to find that happiness for myself, or never find it at all.

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the proper spirit of Hell being a forum whose real (though perhaps paradoxical) purpose is reconciliation for the sake of general harmony, might I suggest a simple solution to the angst of the OP and others who find M60 annoying, etc.?

Anyone who finds issue with this fellow should post their grievances herein in the style of the fellow himself, and the post deemed to be the best be awarded the prize of a mousethief cooler.

No doubt he’ll have to suffer reading them all by compulsion, and the circle of roundness will be complete.

You’re welcome.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Like a man who swears up and down he can speak Hungarian, then shows no sign whatsoever of understanding anything anyone says to him in Hungarian, nor ever speaks a word of it himself.

"A légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal."

( "My hovercraft is full of eels" )

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

And here I thought I had picked Hungarian randomly. May I fondle your bottom?

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

My nipples explode with delight!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Being Martinized can be an edifying experience at times.

His crack about "Gilmour is live from Pompeii" was pretty damn funny once I understood it.

But, that is just me. I had to learn the hard way that I cannot ever demand that those around me act in any specific way and thereby find happiness. I have to find that happiness for myself, or never find it at all.

Sorry to get in the way of exploding nipples or whatever else makes you happy, but don't encourage the guy.

Yes, sometimes there is an insight lurking in Martinese, and sometimes (more rarely) it's worth working for.

But when it turns out that the kernel is him deliberately toying with somebody else, and specifically with something they experienced as a moment of spiritual intensity, it stops becoming fun.

Martin begs us to take his dark nights of the soul seriously, and to be suitably clement, but he'd rather troll others' intimate experiences than respect them.

Besides, Martin should have learned long before now that sustained listening to Pink Floyd numbers is a sure-fire way to get depressed, even without alcohol.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Martin begs us to take his dark nights of the soul seriously, and to be suitably clement, but he'd rather troll others' intimate experiences than respect them.

This has been my experience. Especially since his most recent epiphany.

quote:
Besides, Martin should have learned long before now that sustained listening to Pink Floyd numbers is a sure-fire way to get depressed, even without alcohol.
Well there's your problem. Wrong mind-altering substance.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I dunno, I suspect Martin's utterings are reflections of Martin's internal dialogue. He probably can't understand why others don't understand or don't also get to the same thought space.

I'm not sure this is really an excuse for posting this way on a bulletin board when he must know that 100% of other readers do not always understand what he is talking about.

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Hi, I'm Martin. I'm a disrespecter of others, directly and indirectly. It's projection of clinical self loathing. I'll keep it to myself.

Cica - 'seetsah', mousethief. The only Magyar I know. Your nemesis. Kitten.

--------------------
Love wins

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
I'll keep it to myself.

[brick wall]

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:

I love Martin to death too but sometimes it really does feel as if it will be the death of me.

I think many of us are familiar with that feeling. Like the lovable alcoholic sat on their usual perch in the boozer. Bit annoying sometimes, but when they eventually peg it all the regulars have a whip round to pay for a headstone.

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I dunno, I suspect Martin's utterings are reflections of Martin's internal dialogue.

You're not wrong. It's definitely stream-of-consciousness, though of the raw, unprocessed variety. Martin has the mindset I associate with many of my male 18-20-year-old students: he imagines that, because he's managed to think something, that something is worth smearing all over the Ship's cabins' walls.

What he, and the above-mentioned students, fail to grasp is this:

(A) Thinking something doesn't automatically confer significance, and

(B) Part of the writer's job is to form an intention or purpose for his/her writing, and then carefully select from what s/he writes those words, phrases, and sentences which carry out that purpose or intention, and

(C) Leave the rest of the cryptic, irrelevant, tangential, meaning-free drivel on the cutting-room floor BEFORE POSTING.

quote:
He probably can't understand why others don't understand or don't also get to the same thought space.

Given that Martin gets called to Hell REPEATEDLY for this same offense, and that at least a dozen posters have had a go at explaining these basic principles of communication to Martin, I suspect his "failure" to understand is conscious, deliberate, and perhaps even malicious.

quote:
I'm not sure this is really an excuse for posting this way on a bulletin board when he must know that 100% of other readers do not always understand what he is talking about.

And there you have it.

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

Perhaps we could form an intervention group for Martin. Martin needs an editor.

Martin-lovers, and there definitely are some, can volunteer to edit Martin's posts -- say, for a week at a stretch. Martin sends all his posts to that volunteer, who removes the mystifying detritus, sends it back to Martin, who then posts the edited version.

Perhaps eventually Martin will begin to grasp how to edit himself.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
Martin has the mindset I associate with many of my male 18-20-year-old students:

Not your educational establishment; not your undergraduate philosophy society. No requirement for formal coherence here.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
Martin has the mindset I associate with many of my male 18-20-year-old students:

Not your educational establishment; not your undergraduate philosophy society. No requirement for formal coherence here.
I teach writing, and I require coherence.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016