homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Calling Russ, You Callous Bastard (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Calling Russ, You Callous Bastard
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes you. Isn't this one of the nastiest posts the Ship has ever seen?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one?

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Maybe "the poor" are more principled and less self-interested than some well-meaning materialists give them credit for ?

--------------------
arse

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
This one?

quote:
Maybe "the poor" are more principled and less self-interested than some well-meaning materialists give them credit for ?

Yes. Full of his usual generosity of spirit. So fucking patronising and self-indulgent.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He will not appear here. He likes to pretend to be well intentioned and that he engages honestly, However, in one instance that he did come down, he revealed himself to be an intentional troll.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
This one?

quote:

Yes. Full of his usual generosity of spirit. So fucking patronising and self-indulgent.
I just read what Russ said as a flip remark - can you unpack why it's so bad? I'm not doubting you when you say that it is - I'm just not really understanding but possibly my brain's given up.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
quote:
quote:
This one?

quote:

I just read what Russ said as a flip remark - can you unpack why it's so bad? I'm not doubting you when you say that it is - I'm just not really understanding but possibly my brain's given up.
At the very best, and I'm probably giving credit where none is due, he is showing himself to be a sick, callous, sarcastic bastard.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Candidly, I doubt it makes the top ten.

It's cynical and supercilious, certainly, but it's neither crazy nor malevolent. I doubt it will be remembered for either good or ill.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure what this is all about, but then, I never am. Whether we look down on the poor, or pretend to look up to them, they are never us - always some other group that we're glad not to be part of, but are perfectly happy to patronise. There's a woman in our congregation who is tireless in her good works, helping the neediest, and who hates the idea that anyone should know she has to visit the food bank every week to keep herself fed. Where does she fit into this? She is a real person; not a hypothetical creature for discussion.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

OK, OK, I couldn't reply to it in Purgatory nor could I leave it alone. I should on reflection have responded on the existing Russ thread in Hell. After, there should be an anti-Russ thread here in the same way as there is a gay bakery one in DH.
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
This one?

quote:

At the very best, and I'm probably giving credit where none is due, he is showing himself to be a sick, callous, sarcastic bastard.
Perhaps I'm also missing something (it's been a long day in a long week) but I'm struggling to see how this comment is any worse or any better than many other comments in Purgatory?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see exactly why Sioni initiated this call. Russ has a pattern of such behaviour.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I have missed the context. Are we to assume that Russ's remark is not intended literally?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Context is All

If we are talking about the slum dwellers of yesteryear then principled yes, in that many did not resort to prostitution or thieving in order to put bread on the table.
Lack of self interest could be interpreted through the fact that doors were left open or unlocked so that neighbours could come in and freely borrow food items they had run out of.

The more we have the less we want to share it. Who sees hitchhikers these days? Flash cars don't stop.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Russ was replying to the OP, which was basically 'why are the poor voting for immoral bastards like Trump who having now exploited their votes for his own ends, will probably now ignore their needs'; then maybe Russ was insinuating that in voting as they did, the poor, in fact, were doing the right thing, for the right reasons. Or something like that? It's confusing.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone's going to have to spell it out. In the context of the thread I can see it meaning simply "maybe we should consider the possibility that the poor really believed this stuff was good for the country-at-large and voted that belief even though they knew their own personal interests lay the other way." Which is not IMHO derogatory of anything except their ability to see through bullshit, and that's a disability the whole human race enjoys. If anything, it gives the poor (what a phrase) credit for disinterested idealism.

Again, you'll have to spell out what is callous here.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The context is in Russ' board MO. Just as when Beano or Roman Idiot post, you can be fairly certain is is with malice. Russ is more subtle, or cowardly, than they are but often mean spirited.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh, you know, citing someone's entire online board personality as evidence for "this is the most callous post ever" is a bit ... weak. How exactly do you know that Russ (or any other poster) might not have risen above themselves (or your understanding of themselves) in the post-in-question? Really, this is the logical equivalent of "X is an asshole. X wrote statement Y. Therefore, statement Y must be assholish in intent, regardless of what it says."

Seriously, if someone is an asshole to that extent, you can easily pick out a post where that is self-evident. Why base a whole Hell call on one that seems ... mundane?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but possibly my brain's given up.

I like that phrase and shall take it as my own.

I'm not getting what's so bad about the statement, either. I think a lot of the otherwise inexplicable votes for Trump had to do with the belief that he would put someone on the Supreme Court who would ban abortion. I guess if someone "poor," thought that was more important than their own benefits, then that would fit what Russ said.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add me to the list of those who don't see what's wrong with Russ' comment. Getting all worked up over it seems to me to be on a par with getting angry at someone for saying "what a lovely day it is today" on the grounds that someone, somewhere, just died. Except the latter scenario at least has a grain of truth to back it up...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I'm on board with any thread bashing the useless piece of shit, so I don't much care as to why. However, in fairness to those who have not recognised his lack of worth, let us examine the offending statement.
quote:
What does Russ' statement say? As the bellend isn't adding additional context it could mean
  • the poor are poor because they want to be
  • the poor are more principled than those who are criticising their voting pattern
  • those criticising are horrible people for prioritising material wealth

Any interpretation I see seeks to deflect the harm done to people by their voting pattern and is naught less than a sneaky insult to other posters.
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
How exactly do you know that Russ (or any other poster) might not have risen above themselves (or your understanding of themselves) in the post-in-question?

This is possible. However, as I list above, I cannot see how this post indicates he might have done.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Ohfergoshsakes, stay away from "as he isn't adding context, it COULD mean..."

So Trumpian.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Ohfergoshsakes, stay away from "as he isn't adding context, it COULD mean..."

So Trumpian.

Cute. But not helpful.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I'm serious. Even in Hell you want more discrimination than just "I hate his guts so I'm going to attribute random assholery to him." If the brush is that broad you might as well just spit.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I'm serious. Even in Hell you want more discrimination than just "I hate his guts so I'm going to attribute random assholery to him." If the brush is that broad you might as well just spit.

Hell has no such requirements and I did not begin this thread.
However, If you read the post which triggered this exchange with you, I give reasons why Russ' post is offensive. If you see another interpretation, please share.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

You're not going to get it from me. Russ is not only a shit but unlike deano and Romanlion (who also shits, don't me wrong) he refuses to engage. That isn't random, it is systematic.

Context is everything and the above states the context. YMMV.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Junior Hosting notwithstanding, Hell is as much home to the inchoate howl of rage as it is the expertly wielded rapier.

The Greek Chorus may sing along as it sees fit...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

There was no intention of junior hosting. There was frustration with illogic. (And yes, I'm aware logic is no requirement in Hell)

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, you numbskull, it isn't.

30 seconds. That's how long it took to me find posts further up the thread that clearly explained why "the poor" was written in quotes.

All this complaint about Russ not providing context. Russ didn't have to provide context, it was already fucking there.

Spare us, Lord, from merchants of manufactured outrage regardless of their place on the political spectrum.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

It doesn't matter two shits whether it is written the poor or "the poor", it still counts as a shitty statement.

Though I will agree that it ranks nowhere near the top nastiest posts on the Ship.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
It doesn't matter two shits whether it is written the poor or "the poor", it still counts as a shitty statement.

The thread it appears on is called "Why do the poor keep voting for poverty?".

Various answers to that question have been given on the thread, including that they are ignorant, gullible, stupid or desperate. None of those options generated outrage or Hell Calls, even though on the face of it they are far more shitty* than Russ' suggestion that it may be because they are voting for principles other than their own self-interest.

Everybody else is reading the same words that I am, right? [Confused]

*= which would you rather be called: ignorant, gullible, stupid, desperate or principled?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

The thread it appears on is called "Why do the poor keep voting for poverty?".

Various answers to that question have been given on the thread, including that they are ignorant, gullible, stupid or desperate. None of those options generated outrage or Hell Calls, even though on the face of it they are far more shitty* than Russ' suggestion that it may be because they are voting for principles other than their own self-interest.

*= which would you rather be called: ignorant, gullible, stupid, desperate or principled?

To be honest I read a hefty dose of sarcasm in Russ's post, which pissed me off no end. Maybe one day I'll find something warm in a post from Russ: when that happens, I'll let you know.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Marvin:

If a statement is made by Barnabas62, I will likely see it in the best possible light. And that is because he is kind, intelligent and reasonable.
If beano made the same statement, I would view it with suspicion, because he is a worthless shit whose posts are bilious chunks of hate.

Who said what matters to the interpretation, statement rarely exist in a vacuum. Russ is far closer to beano and roman idiot than he is to a worthwhile human.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Though I will agree that it ranks nowhere near the top nastiest posts on the Ship.

What's shitty about it? Oh my God, he suggested people might have principles!

The only thing I see is a suggestion that the rest of the folk forensically picking over the voting patterns of others might be missing something. That's it. It's not even a statement about the poor. It's a statement about people on the Ship of Fools who are completely unable to accept that anyone could think differently to the way Shipmates think.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

Seriously, the thread in question is basically on a theme that I've seen all too often recently: "you're poor, and your vote didn't lead to you being less poor, so therefore I think you must have voted wrong".

And Russ is critiquing that. And you think Russ is the shitty person? For calling out the notion that one's vote should be determined by its effect on one's own wealth?

We spend large amounts of time criticising the rich for doing exactly that, for organising things for their own narrow self-interest. But hey, when it comes to poor people we're asking, "why didn't you vote for your own narrow self-interest"?

And when someone calls out that attitude - not the attitude of the poor, but the attitude of the folk who are demanding to know why the poor vote "wrong" - it gets described as one of the nastiest posts ever and dragged to Hell.

Utterly pathetic.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Marvin:

If a statement is made by Barnabas62, I will likely see it in the best possible light. And that is because he is kind, intelligent and reasonable.
If beano made the same statement, I would view it with suspicion, because he is a worthless shit whose posts are bilious chunks of hate.

Who said what matters to the interpretation, statement rarely exist in a vacuum. Russ is far closer to beano and roman idiot than he is to a worthwhile human.

And this is what is wrong with politics today. I don't have time to read the message, far too busy fanning my dislike of the messenger.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
<snip> "why didn't you vote for your own narrow self-interest"?

If you can't understand the question, what chance is there that you will understand the answer?
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
<snip> "why didn't you vote for your own narrow self-interest"?

If you can't understand the question, what chance is there that you will understand the answer?
What is it do you think I'm not understanding? The voting of "the poor" being directly linked to "poverty" is focusing entirely on people's material circumstances.

As for "the answer"... what fucking answer? The one thing no-one is doing is actually going and asking the poor about their reasons for voting.

[ 23. March 2017, 21:30: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
And when someone calls out that attitude - not the attitude of the poor, but the attitude of the folk who are demanding to know why the poor vote "wrong" - it gets described as one of the nastiest posts ever and dragged to Hell.

Utterly pathetic.

Thank you for this. I couldn't work out what I was missing. Now I see I wasn't missing anything.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
Marvin:

And this is what is wrong with politics today. I don't have time to read the message, far too busy fanning my dislike of the messenger.
I read the message. I have three interpretation of that message I read. Or didn't you read what I wrote?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

I did read it. Which of those interpretations was so awful that Russ should be scolded for it?

Because the one that was clearly meant, a dig at Shipmates rather than "the poor", was a quite mild and perfectly justified suggestion that focusing entirely on someone's material circumstances might miss key information.

Heck, he even said "well-meaning". That's being quite nice rather than really putting the boot in. You decided to paraphrase it as "horrible people" but that's your woefully poor paraphrase, not what Russ actually wrote.

[ 24. March 2017, 03:06: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

This is the second thread in quick succession where you've invented something to be opposed to that only bears a slight resemblance to what was actually written. Last time it was the Milo thread where you imported an implication of adult-child relationships where it didn't belong.

Instead of asking whether I read your stuff, try spending more time rechecking what other people wrote.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

As for "the answer"... what fucking answer? The one thing no-one is doing is actually going and asking the poor about their reasons for voting.

For what it's worth (i.e. nothing), I've gone and asked them. That is, the handful I personally have access to. In several cases it comes down to "I had a specific concern about foreign policy I thought Trump would handle better than Clinton." In a couple cases it was the abortion issue. In no case was it "I thought Trump would somehow make my personal situation better."

But surely this isn't surprising? I mean, don't normal people of all economic levels have some principles, as well as straightforward "do me a favor here"?

IMHO what Russ said reads as a "duh" statement that could be made about any economic level.

But then, it's true I haven't been following him about the Ship looking for the whole broad context of his personality in order to interpret this single post.

Still, for the downright shittiness award, I'd prefer a post which didn't require that kind of massive effort to interpret correctly.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

But then, it's true I haven't been following him about the Ship looking for the whole broad context of his personality in order to interpret this single post.

So, you evaluate everyone you encounter thought by thought? You never consider the source? That is simply strange. It is not how most humans seem to work, and doesn't appear very efficient or accurate. But whatever.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

So, you evaluate everyone you encounter thought by thought? You never consider the source? That is simply strange. It is not how most humans seem to work, and doesn't appear very efficient or accurate.
It's also not what she said.

[ 24. March 2017, 10:39: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Marvin:

How very prejudiced of you.

Of course, such an admission means the rest of us should henceforth ignore any responses you may make to people's posts on the grounds that they will have nothing to do with the post content and everything to do with whether you like the person or not.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
It's also not what she said.

No, not what she said. What she did say was phrased in a way generally considered snarky, and that annoyed me. So I responded to an extended version. One needn't "follow" anyone around, simply pay attention.
The concept that every post here is evaluated in and of itself is ridiculous. It is not how the vast majority of people interact and it certainly is not how most people here interact.
Though some respond as if they do, speaking of which...
quote:
]How very prejudiced of you.

Of course, such an admission means the rest of us should henceforth ignore any responses you may make to people's posts on the grounds that they will have nothing to do with the post content and everything to do with whether you like the person or not.

Holy fuck, Marvin. Can you at least once demonstrate the ability to read and process a complete post? It seems beyond you to read further than this, but at least one post?
Ok, then, let us start with one Sentence.
quote:
Who said what matters to the interpretation, statement(s) rarely exist in a vacuum.
Do you see the word solely or only or any word with a similar meaning attached to that sentence? What is said and who said it are part of how humans tend to evaluate meaning. See? two concepts working together. Does it blow your mind? I've probably reached your limit of interaction sentences ago, so I'll stop for now.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Do you see the word solely or only or any word with a similar meaning attached to that sentence?

No, I see it in the way you're calling a perfectly ordinary post "shitty" based purely on who posted it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, Marvin, every Shipmate creates a track record by what they post and how they post it. It's a discipline outside of Hell to leave personal animus aside. But in Hell any Shipmate can let it all hang out.

I reckon deano has earned a fair measure of distrust. Is that prejudice, or simply based on his posting patterns here? Well, I guess you could argue prejudice, but that strikes me as pretty purist for Hell. And pretty harsh to label lilBuddha that way. Based on lilBuddha's posting patterns.

YMMV, that's your privilege.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The concept that every post here is evaluated in and of itself is ridiculous. It is not how the vast majority of people interact and it certainly is not how most people here interact.

Way to miss the point. The concept is how things SHOULD be evaluated.

Well done for spotting that we're not all perfect. But maybe some of us occasionally spend some time trying to make sure our prejudices don't prevent us from seeing what's written, instead of publicly embracing those prejudices the way you did.

It's not about ignoring all history, but it's about the WEIGHT you place on it. Jumping on the "it was Russ so it must have been bad" train is using way too much weight.

And yes, deano also does occasionally manage to say something that isn't horrible.

[ 25. March 2017, 00:50: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

It's not about ignoring all history, but it's about the WEIGHT you place on it. Jumping on the "it was Russ so it must have been bad" train is using way too much weight.

I initially thought him to be like our good-hearted, but slightly racist gran and treated him so. I gave him chance after chance until he revealed himself to be a duplicitous bastard. I do not care that he might occasionally say something decent, not any more.
quote:

And yes, deano also does occasionally manage to say something that isn't horrible.

Likely by accident. But I'll give deano this over Russ: he is honest in his hate. Russ is not.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016