homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Three Girls

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Three Girls
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I finished watching this yesterday - a BBC series shown this week.

Based on a true story. It was traumatic enough as a fictional story, but as a true story, it is hell-worthy. It is the story of systematic abuse of young girls.

And the story of how the system failed them.

To those men who raped and abused underage girls, who groomed them and got them drunk and organised for a regular supply: there is a circle of hell for you where your balls are burnt off with a blowtorch, only for them to quickly regrow so you can go through it all again.

And that is too good for you.

To the young girls who stood up, told their story, were dragged through the shit, then had to be dragged through it again as they told their story, and then again as they had to tell their story again: You are the most awesome people. Really, so brilliant, so amazing. And we have all let you down.

To Sara Rowbotham(casted and played brilliantly by Maxine Peake), you are a saint, you deserve far better than the sacking you got. Your continued passion and fight made a difference.

To the authorities who failed everyone involved: actually, most people did their jobs, did the thing that was right according to their rules. There are very few who clearly came over as being obstructive. But as organisations, you got it wrong. The rules are there for a purpose, and sometimes you should break them. This was one of those times. As organisations, you failed these girls, and so you failed us.

And most of all, this was a case in Rochdale - not a particularly large place. There were 48 girls identified as having been abused there. It is not the only place, this is not the only group of paedophiles. Across the country, there are probably thousands of young girls in the same situations - abused by older men who use them for their sexual pleasure. And who do it, and continue to do it, because they know the authorities don't have the right systems to stop them.

To all the men involved in doing this: Fuck you so far that you fucking die, and then may your virgins* all be male computer nerds who fuck you for eternity, you utter vile pieces of humanity.

* Ah yes, they were of Asian origin. They claimed it was racism. It wasn't, but they brought shame on their faith and their nation.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some are back on the streets already.

Why such light sentences in the first place?

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read one opinion on Rochdale at the time it came to light which basically said that the girls were regarded as so low worth that they were effectively "unrapeable". The most appalling indignities were forced on them, yet adults were able to convince themselves that it was consenting activity, even though they were children.

One of my lifelong disagreements with my mother is that she believes that some children can be complicit in their own abuse - they can "give [adults] the come-on". [Projectile] I wonder if this was a more generally held view by the older generation and - hopefully - will disappear completely?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched all three hours on YouTube yesterday after SC called attention to it. It was impossible to stop watching until the case was resolved, in spite of the fact that I couldn't understand about 90 percent of the local dialect. The actresses were that good.

It was interesting to hear the police admit that the main reason they didn't come down quicker and harder on the trafficking was fear of being called racist. I can see the U.S. police departments getting to that point after a few more years of being in constant trouble for profiling.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
One of my lifelong disagreements with my mother is that she believes that some children can be complicit in their own abuse - they can "give [adults] the come-on". [Projectile] I wonder if this was a more generally held view by the older generation and - hopefully - will disappear completely?

I think that some adolescents who do not understand their own sexuality and that of adults, do give the come-on. Since they don't fully understand, they are not complicit and not responsible. An adult who responds to this come-on commits child abuse.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The low sentences in these sort of cases when they do get prosecuted make me so angry. There's the hell thread at the moment about clergy abuse and rape of children due to the massive Royal Commission into child sexual abuse that is currently taking place here in Australia. But every day in the papers you can read about girls and women who are too traumatised to face the court system and the victim-blaming cross examinations, men who have come forward years later and who now have trouble proving the abuse that occurred when they were children, rapists given a slap on the wrist even if they were raping their own children for years on end or had multiple victims. At least perpetrators who are charged are prevented from working with children, but some of them then go to countries like the Phillipines or Thailand and commit much worse crimes including torture and murder.

We have lots of strict rules and processes for working with children and reporting abuse now (it's criminal for many professions not to report abuse), but a lot of cases don't even go through court and if they do the punishments are really low. So the child finds the courage to tell or an adult suspects and reports, but the outcome can be a very low sentence of two or three years for the criminal. What message does this send victims and perpetrators?

So are we taking child abuse seriously or not? Particularly like as in this British case where it's disadvantaged teens and teens in state care involved who may have voluntarily got involved in sex work for money or drugs originally, mostly because they have already been abused or terribly neglected as children in the first place. Adults who take advantage of traumatised or drug addicted teens should have just as harsh punishments as those who target children from loving homes.

And being a 'good parent' otherwise should not mean a lighter sentence for sexual abuse, which I have also read cases of in Australia. I don't care how good a provider you were, how many toys and clothes you gave your children or if you acted loving in other ways in public. If you raped your children behind closed doors you are not a good parent!

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I think that some adolescents who do not understand their own sexuality and that of adults, do give the come-on. Since they don't fully understand, they are not complicit and not responsible. An adult who responds to this come-on commits child abuse.

Of course this is true. We have no difficulties with the idea that teenagers come on to each other, festering bags of hormones that they are. Why should anyone think that it's not possible for a teenager to come on to an adult? Entire classrooms full of teenage boys and girls routinely go around lusting after the young attractive teacher; it is the job of the teacher not to take advantage of this, and the disposition of the child is irrelevant to the guilt of the adult.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Mili:

And being a 'good parent' otherwise should not mean a lighter sentence for sexual abuse, which I have also read cases of in Australia. I don't care how good a provider you were, how many toys and clothes you gave your children or if you acted loving in other ways in public. If you raped your children behind closed doors you are not a good parent!

If anything, abuse coming from an otherwise "loving parent" is even more traumatic because of the horrific mixed message it sends to the child.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, some children do make use of their sexuality. Which is why those who are called "adults" should know not to take advantage of them.

The two reasons the police didn't prosecute seemed to be a) the witnesses would be considered unreliable in court; and b) The danger of the accusation of racism.

The problem - as was pointed out by one person - was that young girls who had been raped and abused, and then convinced that they owed this to their abusers are seriously traumatised. This makes them inherently poor witnesses.

The fear of racism is a serious issue (raised by "Daddy"). And I have some sympathy here - the lawyers could have made a big issue of this.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mili:

Yes, I remember reading about a judge here commenting on the sentencing of a so called 'good parent' FFS if they abused their child they are NOT a "good parent!" by any definition of the term. [Mad]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016