homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Journalistic fuckwittery

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Journalistic fuckwittery
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The online editor of conservative publication Quadrant has said it would have been preferable for the Manchester bomb to be exploded in the ABC’s Q&A studios on Monday night, blowing up host Tony Jones and the panellists.

"Life isn’t fair and death less so. If there had been a shred of justice that blast would have detonated in an Ultimo TV studio. Unlike those young girls in Manchester, their lives snuffed out before they could begin, none of the panel’s likely casualties would have represented the slightest reduction in humanity’s intelligence, decency, empathy or honesty."

Article

Classy. Real classy. Using an horrific tragedy to try and further your views.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Allison Pearson, Telegraph columnist tweeted:

quote:
We need a State of Emergency as France has. We need internment of thousands of terror suspects now to protect our children. #Manchester
and

quote:
"We had to pull nails out of children's faces." Don't bother your little heads about it. Keep calm and carry on... #manchesterattack
Presumably she's trying to get a show on LBC after Hopkins is fired.

US journalist David Leavitt got the prize for the stupidest, most callous tweet by saying something I'm not going to repeat here. Prick.

--

But even leaving aside all these tossers who rake up the usual bollocks in these kinds of occasions, we've got a very serious problem of journalists doorstepping and abusing victims.

One parent tweeted about how his facebook feed was filled with friend requests from journalists, how a couple had found his mobile number and one had even pushed a hand-written note through his letterbox. And he didn't even know at that stage if his child was alive or dead.

It isn't just the gutter press, it is everyone. The BBC, Sky and the "quality" newspapers have to fill airtime and pages, so they're desperate to find people to talk to even whilst they're in shock.

Most people with an atom of sense can see that this is not good for people. Most people with humanity can see that there is no news story which is worth someone's mental health. Most people have already had enough of hearing and seeing this shit.

Surely to fucking goodness. Surely it is time that journalist refused these pointless tasks, surely it is time that they woke up to the idea that "protecting sources" includes protecting them from the public gaze when they're in the midst of a crisis.

--------------------
arse

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Allison Pearson, Telegraph columnist tweeted:

quote:
We need a State of Emergency as France has. We need internment of thousands of terror suspects now to protect our children. #Manchester
and

quote:
"We had to pull nails out of children's faces." Don't bother your little heads about it. Keep calm and carry on... #manchesterattack

To quote, entirely out of context, the title of her crappy book, I don't know how she does it.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do just what the deranged losers want, yeah sure. Until we achieve universal social justice where deranged losers can't arise, we need to LEARN from this, that the cost is too high. Worst case we're now losing people at the rate of order of magnitude (OOM) a hundred a year and that has GOT to be politically worth another billion on very British, softly-softly counter-terror. Every year. Freedom COSTS.

In Europe we're losing the same OOM a year - Nice, Berlin, Stockholm, London - mainly for the want of water filled bollards. A billion for the whole of Europe would plug that gap.

[ 24. May 2017, 11:00: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We read Quadrant for years. Rarely would we agree with the political opinions ( and some of the literary ones as well) but the articles were well argued and we would respect that. Not any more; this is beyond the pale.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suggest that, if you cancel your subscription or whatever, you tell them you're doing it and why. This is an area where silently bearing your disgust is not effective. Pipe up, point out their error, and then leave.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You’re right, Ms Pearson, France is exactly like that. In President Le Pen’s brave new France, we’re interning and deporting terror suspects all over the place.

Oh wait…

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True, but I'm not enamoured by Macron's proposed extension of the state of emergency through to November or by talk of a proposed new "security to deal with the terrorist threat" Act (link in French).

I was hoping he might revoke the state of emergency after the general elections.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking how effective internment without trial was in Northern Ireland. It probably put a decade on the "troubles" and was a major recruiting tool in itself.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, imagine interning 3000 jihadists somewhere in the UK. It would become a magnet for every nutter in the world, and the UK would become a magnet for terrorist attacks.

But I wonder if journalists like this are not being serious, but just wanting attention, as with Hopkins. It's me-me-me really, look at me being outrageous.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, Franklin's despicable piece (it's not only wrong, it's dreadfully written - more adjectives than a Greek epic) achieved what I presume was its end - to build the notoriety of the Quadrant, and to become well known. Now, it is leading the news (including on Aunty), instead of occupying its rightful place in the reading list of the odd far right fruitbat.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, imagine interning 3000 jihadists somewhere in the UK.

Except we wouldn't. Because there aren't 3000 jihadists in the UK to intern. It would be interning 3000 muslims based on some form of profiling. If they did the profiling very well that 3000 might include 3 actually jihadists. Though by the time they get let out there will be more than 3 jihadists, and their friends and family who have seen innocent people locked up without trial will be much more sympathetic to the jihadists.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I suggest that, if you cancel your subscription or whatever, you tell them you're doing it and why. This is an area where silently bearing your disgust is not effective. Pipe up, point out their error, and then leave.

You're someone's big sister, aren't you? You're not mine.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

You're someone's big sister, aren't you? You're not mine.
If you are going to cancel your subscription on the basis of principals, it is less effective if they do not know why.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, imagine interning 3000 jihadists somewhere in the UK.

Except we wouldn't. Because there aren't 3000 jihadists in the UK to intern.
Probably not. By my count, in the last decade seven people have committed terrorist acts with an Islamist motivation, and a couple of dozen or so additional Islamists have been arrested / deported / convicted for planning terror acts.

That's 30 people. It seems unlikely that that's as little as 1% of the jihadists out there. I could believe 10% - so if someone were to claim that the UK had something on the scale of 300 jihadists, I'd be prepared to accept it, but I don't think I'd believe a bigger number.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently the BBC reported 850 Britons who had travelled to Iraq and Syria to fight for ISIS. About half of whom have returned. Are those returnees jihadists, or ex-jihadists who have come to see ISIS as wrong? I'd be willing to push the upper limit of the number of jihadists in the UK to 1000. It all depends on how you define "jihadist".

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
It all depends on how you define "jihadist".

True. And there's a difference between going to Syria to shoot at Assad's soldiers and going to Manchester to blow up children. But you've persuaded me that I should increase my upper limit somewhat.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
Unfortunately, Franklin's despicable piece (it's not only wrong, it's dreadfully written - more adjectives than a Greek epic) achieved what I presume was its end - to build the notoriety of the Quadrant, and to become well known. Now, it is leading the news (including on Aunty), instead of occupying its rightful place in the reading list of the odd far right fruitbat.

Quadrant was never that, even if it might be going that way on its politics pages. It is a well-respected journal and has been around for many years. It publishes literary criticism and poetry, among other things, but has always been known for its conservative stance. The Poet Les Murray edits its literary section. Many many well-respected mainstream Australians have contributed to Quadrant over the years.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016