homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Jamat, you self-righteous fuckwit (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Jamat, you self-righteous fuckwit
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have been courting nastiness and rudeness (all the while passive-aggressively boo-hooing that others are so mean to you, and bragging you've never been called to Hell), and then you have the nerve to call me a "Semantic nazi."

Well fuck you.

First off fuck you for so despising the Jews you claim to care so much about that you would compare someone who insists on using words right to the people who murdered 6,000,000 Jews. Yeah, that's a reasonable use of the word "Nazi." Antisemitic prick.

You are so sure your interpretation of the Bible is the only one, and even that it defines who Jesus is. But when pressed you lie lie lie -- you say that PSA is a metaphor, if pressed. But at other times you say that if it's not true then you are not saved. You pretend to admit that you realize that your interpretation is an interpretation -- but then you slam me for using the "connotation" of ethnos instead of the "denotation" which proves my interpretation is eisegesis and yours isn't.

In short you're a slimy little self-righteous anus.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we not use little as an intensifier for insults? Especially as Jamat is a rather large arsehole.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Can we not use little as an intensifier for insults? Especially as Jamat is a rather large arsehole.

Fair enough. Switch "little" in my closing insult to "morally repulsive."

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gentlemen, gentlemen please. I actually feel quite sorry for Jamat. When your faith is a brittle and inflexible as his it must hurt when anyone applies pressure for it to bend or stretch ...

(Apologies for any inadvertent images conjured up there) ...

Jamat is sincere. I don't think he's lying as Mousethief suggests, I don't doubt his integrity. However, he has painted himself into as much of a corner with his fundamentalist interpretive schema as the RCs have with the doctrine of Papal Infallibility.

The sad irony is that he has replaced the inflexibility of his Tridentine RC youth with an equally inflexible form of highly literal dispensationalist Protestantism.

Any deviation from that tightly ratcheted standard is going to appear to him as equivocation at best or apostasy at worst.

Also, I don't think he's as bright as he thinks he is. I'm not saying he's thick, but like a lot of fundies he is fiercely intelligent along a set of clearly demarcated tramlines.

We all seek to find patterns to make sense of things. Jamat is operating with a particular pattern and template that hems him in to a set of inflexible propositions to the extent that anyone who operates with a different model or pattern or even variation on a theme is seen as a threat.

I don't think Jamat is anymore of an arsehole than anyone else here. He's simply got a tighter rectum to speak out of than some others.

He's trapped in a strait-jacket of his own inflexible certainties.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Jamat is sincere. I don't think he's lying as Mousethief suggests, I don't doubt his integrity. However, he has painted himself into as much of a corner with his fundamentalist interpretive schema as the RCs have with the doctrine of Papal Infallibility.

I don't think he is honest, he uses any rhetorical tricks he can think of to put down others - doubting their salvation, calling alternative ideas dumb, calling alternatives spiritually blind, obtrusion, delay, willful avoidance of points put to him, clear hatred of Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy for no reason.

And then when anyone else has the gall to do to him the things he does to others it is "oh oh, they're persecuting me". As if his stupid ideas should get a special pass because they're "orthodox Evangelicalism" - which they're not, that's total crap - but he gets full license to attack others in the most extreme way possible.

I don't doubt his salvation, the Lord I know does what he pleases. But I remain convinced his theology is utter bunk and the way he thinks he is justifying or explaining it is utterly repulsive.

[ 27. May 2017, 06:47: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gentlemen, gentlemen please. I actually feel quite sorry for Jamat. When your faith is a brittle and inflexible as his it must hurt when anyone applies pressure for it to bend or stretch ...

He's also a schoolteacher. The ones I feel sorry for are his pupils.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What subject does he teach?

It can't be anything involving philosophical concepts or abstract thought, surely?

@mr cheesy, yes, Jamat's line of argument and rhetorical tacts are desperately skewed and flawed. I've spluttered into my tea a few times when he's responded to someone by accusing them of defensiveness or similar reactions to those he displays himself.

But then, none of us can smell our own backsides.

To be fair, I felt you were goading him to a certain extent and yes, I sometimes find your posting style abrasive - but then I'm sure people find mine intensely irritating at times ...

I'm sure a lot of the more conservative evangelicals here, being in a minority, do feel 'got at' at times.

However, Jamat seems pathologically incapable of considering any view point other than the most rigid and inflexible form of looney-tunes literalist dispensationalism.

So yes, he deserves the Hell call and I'm surprised it's taken so long.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

To be fair, I felt you were goading him to a certain extent and yes, I sometimes find your posting style abrasive - but then I'm sure people find mine intensely irritating at times ...

Well I did lose it and just reflect back to him what he does to others. That was a mistake and I should have known that.

--------------------
arse

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

He's also a schoolteacher. The ones I feel sorry for are his pupils.
Oh, now that hurts. most of them are reasonably muffled from my sad realities and as Martin 60 would say..love wins
It's not easy being green.

Mousethief, I actually meant that crack as a compliment. I admire your exactitude when it comes to language. I am surprised you think the term nazi suggests anti Semitism which is not me but seeing it has offended I apologise for using it in connection with your considerable finesse with language.

Do not expect to break out the popcorn here as I do not do gratuitous insults for the world's entertainment and I actually quite like you all which Is why I am still here after so long. But feel free to call me names, I probably deserve them all.

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you feel like being precious over Nazis or the Holocaust, just remember how Mel Brookes tackled the subject and do a little dance routine.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Jamat:
Oh, now that hurts. most of them are reasonably muffled from my sad realities and as Martin 60 would say..love wins
It's not easy being green.

I'm not talking of any reality except what you have shown on these boards - an inability to accept that the world was not created in 4004 BC and now an inability to concede that others may well have w different point of view. Neither an attribute I'd have liked in any of Dlet's teachers.

[ 27. May 2017, 09:25: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
simontoad--

Yes, Mel used both "The Producers" and "Hogan's Heroes" to make fun of the followers of that guy with the funny mustache.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Mousethief, I actually meant that crack as a compliment. I admire your exactitude when it comes to language. I am surprised you think the term nazi suggests anti Semitism which is not me but seeing it has offended I apologise for using it in connection with your considerable finesse with language.

If that's your idea of a compliment you had better keep your insults to yourself. You can cut out the patronising sarcasm too; it works as well here as it does in the classroom.
quote:

Do not expect to break out the popcorn here as I do not do gratuitous insults for the world's entertainment and I actually quite like you all which Is why I am still here after so long. But feel free to call me names, I probably deserve them all.

No one is calling you names (except here). You are simply wronger than a wrong thing that's mistaken.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I did call him delusional, which I suppose one might think was calling him a name.

--------------------
arse

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
simontoad--

Yes, Mel used both "The Producers" and "Hogan's Heroes" to make fun of the followers of that guy with the funny mustache.

Just for clarification, Mel Brooks was not involved in "Hogan's Heroes." The other work he used to lampoon Hitler was "To Be or Not to Be."

quote:
The sad irony is that he has replaced the inflexibility of his Tridentine RC youth with an equally inflexible form of highly literal dispensationalist Protestantism.

This.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
But feel free to call me names, I probably deserve them all.

Oh, God. He swallowed Martin60.

quote:
I'm not talking of any reality except what you have shown on these boards - an inability to accept that the world was not created in 4004 BC and now an inability to concede that others may well have w different point of view.

He accepts we have differing views. Just not that our views are of a salvific Jesus.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I think, Jamat, that the most charitable thing that could be said under the circumstances that your choice of epithet - calling Mousethief a 'grammar Nazi' or a 'grammar fascist' was highly inappropriate given the topic in question ... we were discussing anti-Semitism.

In another context calling someone a 'grammar fascist' wouldn't have caused as much offence.

It's called 'context'

C.o.n.t.e.x.t.

You may have heard of it.

Or perhaps not given the highly literalist nature of your posts.

I'm glad you like us, though.

That doesn't mean that the feeling is mutual ...

[Two face]

But at least you can take things against yourself - it would seem. That's always a good sign in my book.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am surprised you think the term nazi suggests anti Semitism

Seriously, you're surprised at that association?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Hmmm ... Yes, I wonder how many other readers failed to spot the association?

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
[qb] simontoad--

Just for clarification, Mel Brooks was not involved in "Hogan's Heroes." The other work he used to lampoon Hitler was "To Be or Not to Be."

Mel has apparently been asked by his own son not to do Hitler impersonations in front of his grandson, but the kid likes it so much that he does it anyway when the parents aren't around.

I'm not sure whether to find that inspiring or disquieting.

USA Today

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

We could have some fun with this:

Jamat: Mousethief, you Cyclops!

Mousethief: What?! Are you calling me a one-eyed mythological giant?

Jamat: Oh, no, no ... whatever gave you that impression? I was implying no such thing ...'

Or:

Jamat: Mousethief, you Stalinist ...

Mousethief: What? Are you accusing me of being like a tyrannical authoritarian Russian dictator?

Jamat: Oh dear, no, whatever gave you that impression? I really didn't intend that association at all. I'm really surprised you mad it ...

Or

Jamat: Mousethief, you reeking, festering big blue baboon's arse!

Mousethief: What? Are you saying I resemble a baboon's reeking, festering big blue arse?

Jamat: Oh no, no, I implied no such thing ... whatever gave you that impression? I'm genuinely surprised you made that connection from my post ...

And so on ...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You mean like this?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
But feel free to call me names, I probably deserve them all.

Oh, God. He swallowed Martin60.

quote:
I'm not talking of any reality except what you have shown on these boards - an inability to accept that the world was not created in 4004 BC and now an inability to concede that others may well have w different point of view.

He accepts we have differing views. Just not that our views are of a salvific Jesus.

Think of Jamat as John Hurt ...

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Another Mel Brooks reference?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nick--

quote:
quote:
simontoad--

Whoops! Thanks.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You mean like this?

Mousethief the limited tracks your mind runs along obviously do not include one for a sense of humour. In my work place we have 'stair nazis' These are ones that insist we all get fit by using stairs not the lifts.
One of my oldest friends was a 'music Nazi'. She insisted all her children learn instruments.
Take my advice and get a life.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Jamat, go fuck yourself. You have no right to tell me what to do, you have no right to talk about having a life, and you have no right to pretend to be jocular with me. Everything I said about you in the OP has been proved in this thread. Fuck off.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Jamat, go fuck yourself. You have no right to tell me what to do, you have no right to talk about having a life, and you have no right to pretend to be jocular with me. Everything I said about you in the OP has been proved in this thread. Fuck off.

Mousethief: Dear chap, it was well meant. Try to keep your blood pressure down at least.

--------------------
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

FFS I've got Jamat humping one leg and Martin60 humping the other. Good thing I've been fixed.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Jamat--

Have you ever watched "Grey's Anatomy"? It's a beloved medical drama on American TV. One of the favored characters is Dr. Miranda Bailey, an African-American doctor who trains new interns at a teaching hospital. She's a good doc, and cares about the interns; but such a tough trainer that she's nicknamed "the Nazi".

But then there was an episode where she had to deal with a real neo-Nazi, who was a paramedic and injured. He only wants a white doctor, doesn't want to be judged, etc. IIRC, he winds up being treated by a variety of non-white staff.

Continuing, via CinemaBlend's recap:

quote:
When Bailey sewed the NAZI up, she made he swastika tattoo looks like a 5. It’s kind of hilarious, but Shane does not agree. After asking how Mary is doing, he tells George that he’s not the devil. He’s just a guy with a belief system, to which George replies, “since we’re sharing belief systems, I believe that if you were dead, the world would be a better place.” Whoa. Zing?

Afterwards, Bailey tells everyone to never call her "Nazi" again.

I know people sometimes use the term in a casual way. (Like the "Soup Nazi" on "Seinfeld".) I have. But it's becoming less and less socially acceptable--and never should've been acceptable in the first place.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Jamat--

Have you ever watched "Grey's Anatomy"? It's a beloved medical drama on American TV. One of the favored characters is Dr. Miranda Bailey, an African-American doctor who trains new interns at a teaching hospital. She's a good doc, and cares about the interns; but such a tough trainer that she's nicknamed "the Nazi".

But then there was an episode where she had to deal with a real neo-Nazi, who was a paramedic and injured. He only wants a white doctor, doesn't want to be judged, etc. IIRC, he winds up being treated by a variety of non-white staff.

Continuing, via CinemaBlend's recap:

quote:
When Bailey sewed the NAZI up, she made he swastika tattoo looks like a 5. It’s kind of hilarious, but Shane does not agree. After asking how Mary is doing, he tells George that he’s not the devil. He’s just a guy with a belief system, to which George replies, “since we’re sharing belief systems, I believe that if you were dead, the world would be a better place.” Whoa. Zing?

Afterwards, Bailey tells everyone to never call her "Nazi" again.

I know people sometimes use the term in a casual way. (Like the "Soup Nazi" on "Seinfeld".) I have. But it's becoming less and less socially acceptable--and never should've been acceptable in the first place.

Yep, I know Grey's Anatomy. It is a great show. I hear where you are coming from and OK, I made an error of judgement here but honestly, there WAS no malice intended despite Mousethief's assertion to the contrary.

He needs to lighten up. If I really wanted to insult him I could have made a far better job of it but I did not and do not.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

I don't think he is honest, he uses any rhetorical tricks he can think of to put down others - doubting their salvation, calling alternative ideas dumb, calling alternatives spiritually blind, obtrusion, delay, willful avoidance of points put to him, clear hatred of Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy for no reason.

And then when anyone else has the gall to do to him the things he does to others it is "oh oh, they're persecuting me". As if his stupid ideas should get a special pass because they're "orthodox Evangelicalism" - which they're not, that's total crap - but he gets full license to attack others in the most extreme way possible.

I don't doubt his salvation, the Lord I know does what he pleases. But I remain convinced his theology is utter bunk and the way he thinks he is justifying or explaining it is utterly repulsive.

quote:
Mr Cheesy:I don't think he is honest, he uses any rhetorical tricks he can think of to put down others -
Mr Cheesy it is true I am sarcastic at times. However, if you really do think this amounts to dishonesty, then I would like you to show me this and I am willing to apologise for it.

Most of my opinions are sincerely held convictions and though you and others disagree, even to the point of thinking them delusional, I usually try not to argue dishonestly.

I also agree with Gamaliel's point above that I am really not that smart and though I am good with language, there are many here that tear me to shreds in an argument. (but not Martin 60)

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody gives a fuck about intent. We care about what you say and do.

If you were to run over somebody's cat, the fact that you did not mean to do so does not then magically bring the cat back to life.

Mousethief felt insulted. If you did not mean to do so, just stick to the fucking apology and stop making trying to wrangle some lame-ass telepathy-based excuse.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

Yeah, he directed Alien didn't he?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
quote:
quote:

Ridley Scott wasn't it?
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ridley Scott wasn't it?
Old "Olive" Ridley of the Mutant Ninjas?

--------------------
Love wins

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
quote:
quote:

No, but he directed a movie where John Hurt played Jesus. Which seemed to fit the context of the posts in question...

quote:

uote:

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Mr Cheesy it is true I am sarcastic at times. However, if you really do think this amounts to dishonesty, then I would like you to show me this and I am willing to apologise for it.

Most of my opinions are sincerely held convictions and though you and others disagree, even to the point of thinking them delusional, I usually try not to argue dishonestly.

I'm sure your views are "honestly held" - whatever that actually means* - but what is dishonest is the way that you abuse others, including publicly questioning their salvation and offering unwanted spiritual advice - and then get all uppetity when someone dares call your views stupid.

*I don't believe that you are just acting out holding them for lols

--------------------
arse

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

I'm sure your views are "honestly held" - whatever that actually means* - but what is dishonest is the way that you abuse others, including publicly questioning their salvation and offering unwanted spiritual advice - and then get all uppetity when someone dares call your views stupid.

*I don't believe that you are just acting out holding them for lols

Sounds a bit pot and kettle. To me, your Biblical thinking has holes you could drive a truck through. Anyway, The Pharisees all thought they were saved right? Because all Israel is saved in their schema. They thought Abraham stood at the gate of Hades to drag back any Jew from the flames who might accidentally stray down there. But were they? You are mistaking what I said for personal judgement. What scripture states on the matter of salvation is that the cross is the key. Paul preached Christ crucified. The cross dealt with sin; we need to humble ourselves under it.

Perhaps there are people here that need to know that the path is narrower than they thought. If you or anyone else is offended by that then it is not me who is being offensive. We all need that kind of reflection. I never said I had all the answers, only what I consider scripture teaches.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Sounds a bit pot and kettle. To me, your Biblical thinking has holes you could drive a truck through. <snip>

Fine, then discuss it.

Do not make personal statements to me or for me or about me couched in religious terms I don't accept. It's a discussion, not some kind of counselling session where you can try to win me over to your view by the power of your spiritual-soundness.

quote:
Perhaps there are people here that need to know that the path is narrower than they thought. If you or anyone else is offended by that then it is not me who is being offensive. We all need that kind of reflection. I never said I had all the answers, only what I consider scripture teaches.
Discuss your ideas: put forward points, counter points with other points, give reasons, show some consistency and some evidence about why you get to that position.

It absolutely is you being offensive when you wander off the path of having a discussion and into you just saying things about me and my salvation that are totally uncalled for and unwanted.

Almost everyone else on these boards understands this. It seems it is only you who think that you are "in the truth" and that it therefore gives you special license to make these statements about other people, and that only you can get upset when someone calls your ideas stupid.

[ 29. May 2017, 10:12: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

quote:
It absolutely is you being offensive when you wander off the path of having a discussion and into you just saying things about me and my salvation that are totally uncalled for and unwanted.
Well that is a bit rich! Look at the tone of your own posts in the cold light of day. I have never suggested anything about you personally in terms of your spiritual state. I have never told you you are delusional or that there is no truth in you but you have definitely addressed me in these terms. Is that not offensive? Yet I freely forgive..no really..water under the bridge, moving right along.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
FFS I've got Jamat humping one leg and Martin60 humping the other. Good thing I've been fixed.

You've only got yourself to blame for having such humpable legs.

--------------------
Love wins

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Not only is Jamat not very bright, he also lacks self-awareness.

His apparent concern about other people's spiritual well-meaning make sense in that context.

He can't imagine anyone being fulfilled, 'saved' (literally 'made whole') or generally on the right lines - as it were - without signing up for his particular brand of highly literal conservative evangelicalism.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

You've only got yourself to blame for having such humpable legs.
So, like a buck in rutting season or a tomcat around a female in heat, you have no control over what you hump. If it presents itself, you are unable to resist. Dude that's subhuman. Take some responsibility for your own actions and quit blaming the victim.

[ 29. May 2017, 13:43: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'M the victim here! You flaunt your legs as SODOM!! It's more than flesh and blood can BARE!!!! Can I grovel yet?

--------------------
Love wins

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BRAIN BLEACH for sale! Get yours here. Prices only reasonably inflated.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hear where you are coming from and OK, I made an error of judgement here but honestly, there WAS no malice intended despite Mousethief's assertion to the contrary.

He needs to lighten up. If I really wanted to insult him I could have made a far better job of it but I did not and do not.

And you need to learn that, unless you're dealing with people who know you and your sense of humor well (and share your sense of humor), calling someone a Nazi is pretty much always going to be understood as an insult. That's especially true on an Internet forum. And you need to learn that telling them they need to "lighten up" adds to the insult.

It's really simple. When you offend someone, apologize sincerely, don't make excuses or try to justify yourself, don't tell them they're too sensitive, and then let it go.

Sheesh, my kids understood that when they were still in elementary school.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

He's at it again. He's threatening me with eternal damnation now ...

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:

Maybe you and I can have a beer there together.

Of course, it being Hell and all, it's likely the only thing on tap will be Budweiser.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Maybe you and I can have a beer there together.

Of course, it being Hell and all, it's likely the only thing on tap will be Budweiser.

Bloody Hell! And I thought demons poking you up the arse with pitchforks was bad enough!

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016