homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » A cordial invitation

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: A cordial invitation
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am extending an invitation to Jamat to join me in Hell.

quote:
Gamaliel: I’m sure you find my answers unsatisfactory, equivocal and frustrating
Not at all, it is obvious you simply have no answers. [/QUOTE]

No, you dipstick. I have plenty of answers, as do other Shipmates, but they don't accord with your Janet & John, unnuanced and numpty approach to scripture.

You treat the Bible like a cross-word puzzle or a horoscope.

You treat dubious Victorian commentators like some kind of Papal Magisterium whilst fondly imagining that you are going by the 'plain meaning of scripture.'

I dread to think how you taught poetry and literature to your students and how much they must have suffered as a result of your Legoland, Meccano approach.

You don't have a clue, you clearly aren't very bright and you are a first class pain in the butt.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But he can code his comments properly. So there's that.

Boy we're going to miss this place.

--------------------
arse

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the contrary Gamaliel, Jamat is very bright but he doesn't use his God-given intelligence and is incapable of discernment. There are few things as dangerous as wrong-headed certainty.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, I'm crap at coding. Guilty as charged.

And yes, Sioni, Jamat isn't daft, he's fiercely intelligent in the way that many fundagelicals are.

It's just that he's pointing it all in the wrong direction and chasing chimeras in a quest for absolute water-tight certainty.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
You don't have a clue, you clearly aren't very bright and you are a first class pain in the butt.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, this is pot.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
But he can code his comments properly. So there's that.

Boy we're going to miss this place.

Are you saying the New Ship won’t have Hell?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I somehow doubt there will be the same coding issues.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Are you saying the New Ship won’t have Hell?

I think will have other people, so...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I somehow doubt there will be the same coding issues.

Likely not. However, we’ll find other ways to foul up posts, so...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, this is pot.
Pain in the butt, I'll acknowledge.

But not the first.

Smart-arse.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Do you think that the Second Coming has already happened - and we've been left behind?

All the cool kids have already escaped to the Ship2 and they're secretly giggling as we go around the same cycle a few more times in our own private hell.

--------------------
arse

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trust me, this Hell is still public...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

So Jamat was right all along ...

I'm never an Early Adopter on the Product Life Cycle but I may migrate over to the new Ship in time.

If they haven't shut the doors of the Ark first ...

[Eek!]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do you think that the Second Coming has already happened - and we've been left behind?

There are plenty who think that it has happened and that we have not been left behind, as the predictions were fulfilled before the canon of scripture was complete.

The theory is full preterism.

I do not subscribe to that as being the best interpretation, but clearly many cleverer than me have thought it out and come to a different conclusion than me. As they have with all these different end time (or not, in the full preterism case) dogmas.

It looks like you are posting with no knowledge of what the different eschatological theories actually are.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

It looks like you are posting with no knowledge of what the different eschatological theories actually are.

I knew it! It's common knowledge that the Left Behind people will become fixated with irrelevant and increasingly pointless spiritual point-scoring and trivia.

--------------------
arse

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What left behind people?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's like left-brained and right brained, only with buttocks.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Balaam, you are certainly making an ass of yourself.

Mr cheesy made a wise-crack about us being Left Behind as other Shippies are Raptured over to the shiny new site and you completely miss the point and try to engage him in Purgatorial debate about different eschatological schemas.

You silly ass.

You complete and utter dope.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

[Overused]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that this deserves an award in the category of "Best throwing of petrol and a match at an olive branch in a lead role."

quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
quote:
Gamaliel: I’m sure you find my answers unsatisfactory, equivocal and frustrating
Not at all, it is obvious you simply have no answers.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gamaliel: I have plenty of answers
Cool. Fire ahead then.
I am sorry in advance for offending you but it is no answer to say you have an answer if you refuse to give it. I would actually love to hear what you have to say about the 70th week. Personally, though I see a partial historical application of Matt:24:15, in the AD 70 destruction by Titus, There does not seem to be an abomination of desolation event in there. This makes me think there has to be a future fulfillment.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There does not seem to be an abomination of desolation event in there. This makes me think there has to be a future fulfillment.

Right now, right here, Jamat. As a major contributor I'm surprised you haven't noticed.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

You are quite entitled to consider that there is a future 70th week fulfilment, if that's your personal opinion.

What I object to is your apparent insistence that this only possible way to understand this particular sequence of references and that if anyone has different view they are ignoring the 'plain-meaning of scripture.'

I also find it intensely irritating when you continually duck and dive and refuse to answer questions posed by Eutychus and others, put your fingers in your ears and go 'la la la la la, I'm not listening' and then then accuse other people - such as myself - of not answering your questions.

As it happens, on the 70th week issue I'm inclined to take it allegorically or symbolically and in a historical/preterist way.

If it does have some kind of future fulfilment then so be it, but that's only ever going to be speculation unless, of course, we happen to be around when that fulfilment takes place in whatever form it takes.

Yes, I do believe in the Eschaton and the ultimate fulfilment of all things in Christ. However we envisage the Second Advent it seems reasonable to expect echoes, parallels and fulfilments of the themes and imagery we find in scripture - but I don't read the scriptures looking for patterns I can apply in a very literal way to current or future events.

To me,that represents a complete waste of time and effort.

That's my answer and I know you'll find it an unsatisfactory one because you seem obsessed with biblical prophecy and with interpreting it in a very rigid and wooden kind of way - almost like some of the JWs and Seventh Day Adventists I know, only without their other eccentric, quirky and off-the-wall takes.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
quote:
There does not seem to be an abomination of desolation event in there. This makes me think there has to be a future fulfillment.

Right now, right here, Jamat. As a major contributor I'm surprised you haven't noticed.
Not sure what your drift is..sorry. I do remember you as the limerick maestro though.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Perhaps she means that you are 'major contributor' to the 'Abomination that Causes Desolation'?

[Big Grin] [Biased] [Razz]

More seriously, no, you didn't 'offend' me in Purgatory or Kerygmania, Jamat.

You simply irritated me because you didn't listen to a single word anyone else says.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Gamaliel: I have plenty of answers
Cool. Fire ahead then.
I am sorry in advance for offending you but it is no answer to say you have an answer if you refuse to give it. I would actually love to hear what you have to say about the 70th week. Personally, though I see a partial historical application of Matt:24:15, in the AD 70 destruction by Titus, There does not seem to be an abomination of desolation event in there. This makes me think there has to be a future fulfillment.

Hoooray! Kudos! Bravo! Bravissimo! You're first appearance in Hell Jamat? Well played. Take a bow.

[ 11. January 2018, 11:47: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find Jamat excellent value on the Test Cricket thread, and I like his avatar.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that Gamaliel and Jamat should each accept the fact that the other will never see things his way.

Did you guys ever hear of agreeing to disagree?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I find Jamat excellent value on the Test Cricket thread, and I like his avatar.

Seconded.

Hang on, this has a Pom agreeing with an Aussie.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I like Jamat's avatar too. Very much so.

I'm not a cricketing fan but from cursory glances he does seem to know his stuff and I'm impressed by that.

So this appears to be turning into a 'let's take Jamat Heavenwards thread ...'

Perhaps his first appearance in Hell has led to the Harrowing of the same?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I like Jamat's avatar too. Very much so.

I'm not a cricketing fan but from cursory glances he does seem to know his stuff and I'm impressed by that.

So this appears to be turning into a 'let's take Jamat Heavenwards thread ...'

Perhaps his first appearance in Hell has led to the Harrowing of the same?

[Big Grin]

I tend more towards the "Damning with faint praise" option. Not nice, but more Hellish.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

[Overused]
No shit! It's only 7:40 am here, but I have a feeling I've just had my best laugh of the day.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not sure what your drift is..sorry. I do remember you as the limerick maestro though.

quote:
Perhaps she means that you are 'major contributor' to the 'Abomination that Causes Desolation'?

[Big Grin] [Biased] [Razz]

Bang on, Gamaliel. Strange that Jamat didn't pick it up, and he so bright.

Apologies for the coding - most of that had to be cut and paste, as it cannibalised two or three posts.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. It's clearer than most.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Thanks, Doc. We do our best.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016