homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » The Worst Hashtag

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Worst Hashtag
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if anyone's called a hashtag to hell before. I've been pondering doing so for a few weeks now, and I'm feeling all daring and avant-garde for some reason, so I'll give it a go.

I hereby call #nohomo to hell for being ridiculous, pointless, regressive, anxiety-inducing, and just plain #allkindsofwrong. While I'm here, I may as well call whoever thought the fecking thing up to hell also, for being a massive, insecure, jerk, and I wave a stern matronly finger at all those currently propagating it, for not having the courage or the insight to call it out for the idiocy it clearly is.

A bit of background: A month or so ago, looking at a friend's Facebook page, there was a post about her eldest son having just returned from some overseas trip for some high school sports meet. I had a look at his Instagram page, and sure enough, there was a lovely group photo of some happy teens in team kit, returning triumphant, etc., etc. And the comments - they went like this: Well done, bro./ So proud of you #nohomo / Aww, missed you #nohomo / You guys are awesome #nohomo / You're the best, man #nohomo / Great to have you back #nohomo - aaaand I'm sure you get the idea.

What is with this stuff? It's so stupid I can hardly find words to express my disdain for it! If it's any kind of a joke, I have to say I've missed the punchline entirely. It seems like, so far from collectively getting over ourselves and getting on with our lives, leaving other consenting adults to do as they wish with their dangly bits, we're looking to find new ways to be layering on the gay panic with a trowel! And once one insight-deprived idiot has added the tag, of course all those who follow must do so too, unless they're courageous enough to make a point of not doing so, and [sadly] willing to offer themselves up as an object of derision in pursuit of that point. (Not a phenomenon I observed, as it happens).

So stupid. So unnecessary. To all the young men out there in the world - whatever your proclivities - you're allowed to have close friends, guy friends, friends who mean a lot to you, who you care about. You're allowed to tell them that, and I'd really like to think that neither I, nor any other rational human being, is going to blink rapidly and assume you’re gay, simply because you expressed a positive sentiment about a mate, and failed to append a hashtag-no-homo disclaimer on the end, because you shouldn't have to explain it, justify it, or qualify it, because it's a completely normal thing to do!

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's what it looks like, then absolutely yes, it's awful.

I'm not on social media. But ISTM hashtags aren't always easy to figure out. Is it possible this one has a different meaning?

FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me Google that for you

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as a homo, and one who has made extensive study of all things homo, let me assure you that behind every "#nohomo", there's something a little bit homo.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
#WorstHashtagEver

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hard put to think of a worse hashtag.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the point of the hashtag was that if I add #ChalcedonianChristology to all my posts, then other people who are interested in Chalcedonian Christology can find them.

Are there people out there who seriously imagine that other people actively go searching for #nohomo posts? As in 'I wonder what non-homosexual things some random strangers have been doing today - let me search Facebook for #nohomo'?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, it's so stupid. It's everywhere on YouTube, where I think its general use is to reassure YouTube content creators that thecompliments, etc. are not being given by a stalker.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't one just as easily and infinitely less offensively use #platonic ?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good idea, mt. I wonder if a lot of people just aren't familiar with the word?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

They could. They could also, quite reasonably, assume that the inclusion of a term like 'bro' makes the nature of their comments fairly clear. Better still, they could just not buy into the whole thing, given it seems such a self-perpetuating phenomenon. Fewer guys pre-emptively proclaiming themselves non-gay means fewer guys have to chime in and follow suit, lest they appear gay by omission, or gay by default, or any other similarly ludicrous thing.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Perhaps being offensive - or "non-PC" - is part of the point for some people.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Oh, it's so stupid. It's everywhere on YouTube, where I think its general use is to reassure YouTube content creators that thecompliments, etc. are not being given by a stalker.

You're right, it is stupid. And it fails by assumption (ie, stalkers are gay).

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are several which come to mind, which are the worst and best at once, because they make a point.

#nigga to reclaims the N word, #vanilliISIS further describes the #shitleryouth who march with tikki torches.

In the midst of this hurricane blitz, #ExxonKnew refers to the suppression by this large oil company of the data about climate change, its continued funding of denial and its propaganda politicizing of climate change.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...what this hashtag says to me is 'I am the kind of person who will assume that anyone paying me a compliment wants to have sex with me.'

Nice of them to identify themselves. Makes them easier to avoid.

[ 12. September 2017, 08:59: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what hash tag do you attach to a post if you want to point out to your Mo (or to a mofo) that you're no ho?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you need a hashtag at all for something like that? You don't do it in normal conversation.

"Good morning John! Hashtag just hello I'm in a hurry to get to work hashtag don't have time to stop and talk."

"Nice hairdo, Amy! Hashtag not sexually interested in you hashtag prefer men actually"

There is NO NEED to index something that is not there in the conversation. Rookie indexers often make this mistake.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

'Kissing Agathon, I found my soul at my lips. Poor thing! It went there, hoping--to slip across. #nohomo'

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Philosophers could have fun messing with that one.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016