homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Sarah Huckabee Sanders (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Sarah Huckabee Sanders
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who don't recognize the name, she's the Trump Administration's designated spokesliar, following in the footsteps of Sean Spicer and Anthony Scaramucci. I understand that this position requires a certain amount of spin, bafflegab, and deception. Fine. So be it.

What pushed me over the edge on this was her reaction to the news that Congressmen John Lewis and Bennie Thompson decided not to attend the opening of the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum because President* Trump decided to attend. Their reasons are given at the link but basically boil down to the fact that Trump is a racist who will cheapen the event and use black people as props to get credit he doesn't deserve for positions he doesn't actually hold.

Strong stuff, and it does require some kind of response from the White House. But I can't think of anything more tone-deaf (or maybe I just can't hear the dog whistle) than this:

quote:
We think its unfortunate that these members of Congress wouldn't join the President in honoring the incredible sacrifice civil rights leaders made to right the injustices in our history. The President hopes others will join him in recognizing that the movement was about removing barriers and unifying Americans of all backgrounds.
Where the FUCK does Sarah Huckabee Sanders get the idea that she can lecture John Lewis (foreground, left) on "the incredible sacrifice civil rights leaders made to right the injustices in our history"?!? Seriously, when you're trying to explain the Civil Rights Movement to one of the Big Six you're pretty much saying "I don't know what I'm talking about but this uppity person has made things difficult for me so I'll express my displeasure about that".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As we say in my, and her, part of the world, well bless her heart.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarah Huckabee Sanders has integrity.
Once she has sold her soul, it remains sold.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's a 'huckabee', anyway?

[Confused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is an age of wonders.

Like, how could Sarah H. Sanders possibly make me think less of her? Oh. Wow.

Much like her boss.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm probably naive, but I'd like to believe that in the quiet places of her mind, she knows this shit is wrong. She knows that she is spouting lies and providing cover for many bad things.

That she's not really bad, just swept along with all the other flotsam and jetsam flowing out of the sewer.

I'd like to believe that she'll get her comeuppance and that she'll not leave the WH in a few weeks/months/years to become another rentamouth on Fox.

And look, there's a flying pig.

[ 08. December 2017, 15:56: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I'm probably naive, but I'd like to believe that in the quiet places of her mind, she knows this shit is wrong. She knows that she is spouting lies and providing cover for many bad things.

That she's not really bad, just swept along with all the other flotsam and jetsam flowing out of the sewer.

I'd like to believe that she'll get her comeuppance and that she'll not leave the WH in a few weeks/months/years to become another rentamouth on Fox.

And look, there's a flying pig.

An big, ugly, bright orange pig at that. With teeny weeny trotters.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like this one?

Though IMHO, he's rather cute, unlike the real POTTYARSE....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After referring to Elizabeth Warren as Pocahontas at an event to honor the Navajo Codetalkers, I shudder to think what Trump will come up with at the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum - perhaps calling African American members of Congress Sambos and the women Aunt Jemimas.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
For those who don't recognize the name, she's the Trump Administration's designated spokesliar, following in the footsteps of Sean Spicer and Anthony Scaramucci.

I will say this for her: she's keeping her cool much better than either of the men who preceded her. Spicer would get openly combative. Scaramucci burned out spectacularly before he even officially started the position. Sanders? She just shoots that glare and delivers her designated line over and over until the press corps give up and move on.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a B movie a few years ago called I Heart Huckabees, from which I quote:

quote:
Motherfucking cocksucker. Motherfucking shit fucker! What am I doing? What am I doing? I don't know what I'm doing....I'm doing the best that I can....I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to fucking do anymore. Fucker. Fuck! Shit!
Indeed.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
I will say this for her: she's keeping her cool much better than either of the men who preceded her. Spicer would get openly combative. Scaramucci burned out spectacularly before he even officially started the position. Sanders? She just shoots that glare and delivers her designated line over and over until the press corps give up and move on.

Trump's a rich business tycoon. That type usually likes to cut workers, often by switching to automation. Perhaps she's actually a robot?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
For those who don't recognize the name, she's the Trump Administration's designated spokesliar, following in the footsteps of Sean Spicer and Anthony Scaramucci.

So she more competently represents incompetence?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

[Confused]

In this case, the daughter of a Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas and presidential candidate.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
So she more competently represents incompetence?

Absolutely. If I were up there being asked why the President just tweeted some new idiocy, I would have caved and said "Because he's a dumbass, OK?" long ago.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

[Confused]

In this case, the daughter of a Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas and presidential candidate.
But NOT related to Bernie Sanders, U.S. Senator and also a presidential candidate.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

My favorite memory of Huckabilly's gubernatorial career was the time when the Arkinsaw governor's mansion was being rehabbed, and the family lived in an official triple-wide trailer. There was something downright poetical about that image.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the beloved TV series "The West Wing", CJ (played by Allison Janney) was the character who had this job. She was awesome. I've been trying to figure out how CJ would cope with working for T, instead of Pres. Bartlett.

I suspect she'd organize self-defense courses for women, and ways to signal each other if T is acting up, sexual harassment-/ assault-wise. Probably try to get to know Melania a bit. IIRC, she told off Pres. Bartlett a time or two. Would love to see her tell off T, but I wouldn't wish that on her.
[Paranoid]

She also might quit.

Turns out she wants a chance to comment.

"Allison Janney wants Aaron Sorkin to write a 'West Wing' reunion so C.J. can take down Trump, Sean Spicer, and Sarah Huckabee Sanders" (Metro US). And, from another Metro article, Sorkin has similar thoughts.

Wikipedia has a good article on CJ. The "Creation & Development" section talks about Dee-Dee Myers, press secretary to Bill Clinton, and how her experiences inspired the creation of CJ. Not an easy job.

As someone sort of suggested, Sarah has more talent and potential than the previous guys. If she worked for a better president in a better administration, she might be a good press secretary.

YMMV.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I agree. As a political operative she is very very good. Is there a career path in the US from her current position into being a front-line politician?

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ah, but does she dance as well as Mr. Putin's spokesperson?

Maria Zakharova in action with Kalinka.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, that's good, BF. Very scary.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss the Mooch.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Ah, Mooch. We hardly knew ye.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I miss the Mooch.

Speed dating at its quickest. We were in the USA for the entirety of his moment in the sun and what a bizarre week and a half that was. Met lots of lovely Americans but spent some of the time with our jaws on the floor.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
Met lots of lovely Americans but spent some of the time with our jaws on the floor.

That's pretty much Americans' experience here all the time now. You meet lots of lovely people as you go about your day, and then -- holy shit, did you hear about ... ???!!!???
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel an impulse to apologize to every non-American I meet.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Mooch are we missing, please?

Thx.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I feel an impulse to apologize to every non-American I meet.

I'm considering some overseas travel, which means I'm going to have to learn to say "I didn't vote for that asshole" in Italian.

GK, we're talking about Anthony Scaramucci, the guy who took over from Sean Spicer as Trump's spokesidiot for about a minute and a half this last summer.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ah, thanks, Ruth! I know who he is, but hadn't attached that nickname to him.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Where the FUCK does Sarah Huckabee Sanders get the idea that she can lecture John Lewis (foreground, left) on "the incredible sacrifice civil rights leaders..."?

From Wixahatchee Bahble College, or whichever Arkansas institution of Bahble-larnin' she attended. Didn't learn much about telling the truth, apparently.

[ 11. December 2017, 02:46: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Does she know who he is, civil-rights wise?

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
I'm considering some overseas travel, which means I'm going to have to learn to say "I didn't vote for that asshole" in Italian.

"Io non hanno votato per Trump"?

Alternatively, sticking your fingers down your throat as you grimace and say "Trump" should get the message across. (It worked for me in Norway.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Does she know who he is, civil-rights wise?

I think this is irrelevant. She is spokesperson for a man who said he knew more about the military than the military itself does because he went to a fancy dress boys school.
It isn’t enough for his spokesidiot to respond, they must also attack. It isn’t stupid. It engages the idiots who voted for the fool.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:

"Io non hanno votato per Trump"?

Alternatively, sticking your fingers down your throat as you grimace and say "Trump" should get the message across. (It worked for me in Norway.)

They sell cards with the statement on it in half a dozen languages. (sigh)

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The Spawn Of Azathoth has offended people from more than six countries, surely?

[Confused]

IJ

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
"Where the FUCK does Sarah Huckabee Sanders get the idea that she can lecture John Lewis (foreground, left) on "the incredible sacrifice civil rights leaders..."?

From Wixahatchee Bahble College, or whichever Arkansas institution of Bahble-larnin' she attended. Didn't learn much about telling the truth, apparently.

Ouachita Baptist University, according to her Wiki page. Ouachita is also home, perhaps not entirely coincidentally, to the Michael D. Huckabee School of Education, so I'm not sure Sarah Huckabee Sanders is representative of the general quality of education offered there. Every college has a few embarrassing legacy admissions. Right, Jared?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

In the last couple of days, a reporter asked Sarah if she really thought that all the women who accused T of sexual misconduct were lying.

She looked troubled, and said she was there to represent the president, not talk about herself.

Interesting.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the last couple of days, a reporter asked Sarah if she really thought that all the women who accused T of sexual misconduct were lying.

She looked troubled, and said she was there to represent the president, not talk about herself.

Interesting.

When you are someone's spokesperson, yes, you are there to represent that person, and not have an opinion.

It is the same way in which I operated when I worked for the government. When working, and asked about something, I stated the government's position, whether or not I agreed with it. That was my job.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not everyone would choose to work as a spokesperson for a pathological liar.

Again, interesting vocational choice for a PK/Baptist college graduate.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
When you are someone's spokesperson, yes, you are there to represent that person, and not have an opinion.

It is the same way in which I operated when I worked for the government. When working, and asked about something, I stated the government's position, whether or not I agreed with it. That was my job.

Yes, of course. But, from the look on her face, she doesn't necessarily think all T's accusers are lying. And, instead of her usual accusing in return (and looking like she means it), Sarah gave no sign that she agreed with her boss or was defending him.

As in that may be farther than she's willing to go on this topic.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, LutheranChk has it right. What she can be criticised for is her choice of employer. She is good at her job though, which is to feed lines to Trump loyalists while pretending to answer questions.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:

Interesting.

As did I. However, when the position looked just a bit too bizarre to state with a straight face, I asked my managers beforehand to provide me with lines and a follow-up strategy. We would then have the surreal spectacle of three or four intelligent and educated people trying to make utter nonsense sound sensible (I would note that this was not a frequent occurrence, although we had one minister-- name available upon application -- whom we had to keep out of very hot water, and that was a real challenge).

I was once pressed quite strongly by a client to give my personal opinion and eventually had to say that I had no personal opinion during working hours. They asked if I had previously explained Adolf Hitler's policies, and I told them that the discussion was over.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Not everyone would choose to work as a spokesperson for a pathological liar.

Again, interesting vocational choice for a PK/Baptist college graduate.

Not even if the pathological liar maintained he was a Christian??

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly, I'm not sure -- at least based on my own personal experience -- that some Christians see any contradiction between that faith avowal and being willing to lie.

As one such person explained to me (after cheerfully admitting to lying through her teeth in order to join a group I was leading) that God wouldn't regard her lie as a sin so long as it enabled her to save my soul.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
God wouldn't regard her lie as a sin so long as it enabled her to save my soul.

Which was a sin of pride right there.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
God wouldn't regard her lie as a sin so long as it enabled her to save my soul.

Which was a sin of pride right there.
And a worser sin of misunderstanding, if she thought that she could fool God as easily as she fooled herself.

[ 05. January 2018, 22:31: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom line, though: Mrs. Sanders continues to prostitute herself for the sake of a paycheck. It's sort of fun to watch her press conferences for any sign of "You know, screw this, I'm sick of standing up for this ignoramus. My pride is worth more than my bank account. I'm off to find myself a real job."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Bottom line, though: Mrs. Sanders continues to prostitute herself for the sake of a paycheck. It's sort of fun to watch her press conferences for any sign of "You know, screw this, I'm sick of standing up for this ignoramus. My pride is worth more than my bank account. I'm off to find myself a real job."

On the occasions I see her on television (more and more I avoid English-language news), I see a facial expression and tone of voice doing its level best to sever herself from the message she is delivering. I think that her days might be limited.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The psychological toll must be fantastic. Surely there has been no more toxic boss that Lyin' Don, in all of history. I have asked before, whether any person, any business, any woman, has ever had dealings with him and would do it again. Anyone who would stand up and say, "Yes, I laid the tiles in his hotel bathrooms, yes, I married him, yes, I worked for him. And it was mutually profitable and I would sign on again." All I ever hear is crickets.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Integrity is a difficult thing. To say "no" when you know that it does mean you don't have a job. Knowing fully that others will sell their souls and grand parents for the right pay cheque. (I dislike the prostitute image in this and most contexts unless that previous man is also a prostitute.)

But a person also has to live with themselves. Becoming innured to it is the only way. To tell the small comforting fibs to self. That you are moderating the bad or perhaps even become a believer at least in part.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016