homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking SPOILERS!!!!!!!! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking SPOILERS!!!!!!!!
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Critics and other media have to cover films and they must do in close proximity to the realise date. What they do not need to do is put spoilers in the FUCKING TITLE of the article or in the teaser text accompanying the article.
Fuck all you who do so to the deepest hell possible, probable or dreamed of.

And a spoiler isn't just 'She was a he' or 'he was dead'. Suggesting a twist or revealing a film affected you emotionally can be enough to change the experience of those who have not yet seen a film.

Dumb fuckers

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any specific cases of this you wish to cite?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

Nearly every FUCKING Last Jedi article I have seen the title of.
A thought just occurred: Some arse or idiot is bound to do so within the context of this thread, so I am going to have to absent myself from it until after I view the film.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just the critics- I've had major plot twists spoiled by click-bait links. Although at least once (Stranger Things season 2) the click-bait headline actually sent me off in a totally wrong direction.

I was once reading a review of a mystery novel I was about to read, and the oh-so-smart critic docked points because, to paraphrase, the ending had already been done by Agatha Christie in the ABC Murders, so it was kind of derivative. Thanks, fucko!

(Although given that I have managed to find the time see exactly one movie in the theater in the three years that my daughter has been on this earth, I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably going to know what happens at the end of Last Jedi way before I eventually get the library's copy to watch at home nine months from now. Ironically, the movie that I did manage to see was the new Murder on the Orient Express, where I had nothing to fear from spoilers, given the number of times I have read or watched other versions of that one.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is surprise so important? Think how many Jane Austen productions we have seen. "Pride and Prejudice" - at least five film/TV versions. And each one of interest. Variations in casting, in the way the characters are played - there's no end to the fascination.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If spoilers are that big a deal, either go on opening night, or avoid all media until you go. This seems like a total no-brainer.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hear hear jacobsen. Star Wars plot twists are straight out of Dallas.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
apparently its a shit film LB. Save your pennies for something with class.

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear you, lB. I've been diligently avoiding most Star Wars mentions for months, allowing for an occasional Mark Hamill appearance on a late-night talk show. He's seasoned enough that he's unlikely to give anything away. Radio mentions are harder to avoid, because they don't necessarily give a spoilers warning, or even a second's pause after the first sentence. Hard to avoid, if your radio isn't easily within reach. Hands over ears and and "la la la" time.

What's worst for me lately are the clever, but insidious, ways this SW film is woven into the ads of a certain car company. Started subtly, with cars information. Fine. But the ads gradually got much more obvious, with possible/probable plot points. When one comes on, I either close my eyes and try not to listen, or change the channel.

Even someone from the film said, a few months' back, that there are spoilers in the trailer. Grrrrr. That's very common in trailers, though. Even film critic Roger Ebert said so.

Sometimes, trailers that advertise the film has a Secret (tm) are the worst. There was one anonymous film I had no interest in. It seemed pretty clearly what the secret likely was. I didn't go see it. But when it was finally on TV, I caught the last few minutes to check it out, and I was right. I eventually watched the whole thing. Not bad, but not something I really want to re-watch.

I avoid reviews until *after* I've seen a film, unless for "I doubt I want to see it, but..." films. Mostly the same for books. Especially on NPR. Grrr. Some of them seem to think it's ok to remove all but the last sheer veil from the book.

Some people loathe spoilers (me), other people want them. Sometimes, they have a hard time understanding each other.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jacobsen--

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Is surprise so important? Think how many Jane Austen productions we have seen. "Pride and Prejudice" - at least five film/TV versions. And each one of interest. Variations in casting, in the way the characters are played - there's no end to the fascination.

And if PP had just been created and released for the first time? No previous book? And you'd enjoyed Austen's previous works so much that you were desperately waiting for this one?

Don't know if you're a Star Wars fan, so you may not know. This isn't from a book. This is brand new.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
What's worst for me lately are the clever, but insidious, ways this SW film is woven into the ads of a certain car company. Started subtly, with cars information.

Whoops. That should be "cars in formation".

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

As I was a marijuana smoker for about 20 years, the whole idea of spoilers is irrelevant for me. My short term memory is rooted. I can't even remember what I had for breakfast. Also, I don't listen because I am usually away with my thoughts and so it takes me a while to realise that someone is attempting to communicate with me. Finally, as I mostly watch the ABC, where there are no commercials, spoilers in ads is just not relevant. If my wife wishes to watch some stupid thing on commercial television, like "OMG I forgot my Trousers", or "Inspector Pugh and the case of the Roiling Rills", she mutes the ads using our remote control device.

Actually, how do you watch those blockbusters without knowing what happens? Aren't they all the same, more or less? Isn't the thrill these days in seeing something beautiful and awful on a massive screen? How is that spoilt by knowing a particular detail of the rudimentary and recycled plot?

One way to avoid spoilers might be to see films which are not to the taste of the general public. I saw a beautiful film in the 1990's called Orlando, with Tilda Swinton in the title role. Another beautiful film was Babette's Feast, a very plain, even stark film telling a simple story. My favorite film, and a story elegantly told, is Persuasion, a film of the Jane Austen book. I always cry during the last 10 minutes or so of the film precisely because I know what's coming. You are extremely unlikely to see anything about any of those films in the popular press.

My advice then, and I give this advice in the most firm way I can, is to give up giving a stuff about Star Wars or any other popular film whether you don't mind spoilers or not. By all means see the film. I probably will myself so I can continue my long term campaign to guilt one of my nephews into looking after me in my old age, but I won't give a stuff about it.

Please, take my advice. Giving a stuff only leads to anguish.

--------------------
Human

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

Nearly every FUCKING Last Jedi article I have seen the title of.
A thought just occurred: Some arse or idiot is bound to do so within the context of this thread, so I am going to have to absent myself from it until after I view the film.

Not from me you won’t. I don’t go to the cinema so by the time I see a film it’s properly old.

But, I must say, I wouldn’t expect too much in the way of polite holding back in Hell
[Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seemed to manage to avoid TLJ spoilers before going to see it on Sunday. It wasn't even difficult.

If you're that bothered about seeing a movie without knowing what will happen, you should book to see it on the first weekend. The longer you leave it, the less sympathy I have for you.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not seen the film.

I have not read the reviews.

But with SW VII they are moving on to a new generation of heroes and villains. So the problem is what to do with the old stars. So we had the death of Solo (Which was plotted then cut from SW VI).

So with one actor sadly gone (writing out Leia Organa is no spoiler) we are left with Luke Skywalker. If something dramatically shocking does not happen to Skywalker in this episode (which is not the same as the simple Solo death) which will get rid of the character or minimise the role, then I do not understand the franchise.

This is not a spoiler, I have not read the reviews or seen the movie. Something must happen to Skywalker, if not in this film then in SW IX. If it does it is not a spoiler as it is so bleeding obvious.

I really hope the spoiler is something else, something that is actually unexpected.

If I'm right, then you are complaining about the revelation of the obvious, engage brain before posting. Also if I'm right don't tell me, because that would then be an actual spoiler.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I seemed to manage to avoid TLJ spoilers before going to see it on Sunday. It wasn't even difficult.

If you're that bothered about seeing a movie without knowing what will happen, you should book to see it on the first weekend. The longer you leave it, the less sympathy I have for you.

I remember reading a discussion a few years back about how long a movie needs to be out before people lose the right to complain about unintentional spoilers.* At some point, big plot twists become cultural touchstones (“I am your father!”), and someone really can’t be that mad if you inadvertently slip. I don’t think a specific expiration date was established. But surely four days is too short.

Now if you know you are going to be hanging around with people who will want to discuss a movie or TV show the day after it airs, maybe you have a duty to either watch on time or leave the room when the discussion happens.

But I do think that treating spoilers from a movie that came out a few days ago as common knowledge is a bit rude. Maybe I was swamped with work and family stuff all weekend. I guess a lot of people are excited about the movie and must discuss it now. But there are ways to do that without spoiling it for the blameless who have not seen the movie in the first few days.

(Kudos to the folks who set up the heaven Last Jedi thread, btw- I seem to remember a fuss two years ago when the Force Awakens thread contained a spoiler in the preview line!)

*It’s always bad form to intentionally spoil a plot twist for someone who genuinely doesn’t know and doesn’t want to know, no matter how well known. e.g., if you know I’m reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time, don’t just blurt out the ending

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mousetrap even after sixty five years remains largely spoiler free.

“Much of the success of The Mousetrap’s longevity comes from the tradition of audience members promising to keep the secret of whodunit alive. Even today, at the end of the show, cast members ask the audience to not tell anyone who the killer is – it’s a practice that’s been a part of the show for decades, and ensures that the majority of audiences who see the show for the first time are doing it spoiler-free.”

Which proves it can be done!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Some people have seen it more than once, do they forget between shows? The audience goes into the Mousetrap largely knowing whodunnit, I have known for over 40 years. Its the plot twists to get there that keeps them intrigued before it is revealed that ....

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

From the Moustrap review:

quote:
Even in today’s spoiler-laden modernity, there’s something wonderful about watching anything – television, movies and, especially, live theatre – when you’ve no idea on where it’s going or what’s going to happen next.
That's all we're after here- a chance to experience the surprise that made you so desperate to talk to anyone about the movie you just saw.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always read a play before attending a performance of it. it enhances my experience.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always perform a cavity search before engaging in sexual intercourse. It enhances my experience.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your teeth or hers?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Should I take that under advisement, Rook? [Roll Eyes] I am playing an online chess game where you are currently adding little of value. [Killing me]
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I always perform a cavity search before engaging in sexual intercourse. It enhances my experience.

Early frontrunner for thread's stupidest analogy.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

quote:
Even in today’s spoiler-laden modernity, there’s something wonderful about watching anything – television, movies and, especially, live theatre – when you’ve no idea on where it’s going or what’s going to happen next.

Talk about the arrogance of normalizing one's own likes. To some it doesn't matter, and to some people on the autism spectrum, plot surprises in a movie or play can be unpleasant or even painful.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
analogy

Oh, you thought the purpose was analogy? How amusingly tone deaf of you both.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
quote:

quote:

Talk about the arrogance of normalizing one's own likes. To some it doesn't matter, and to some people on the autism spectrum, plot surprises in a movie or play can be unpleasant or even painful.
So if you need or want spoilers, seek them out. Presumably there is some website that specializes in providing warnings to autism spectrum cinema goers?

This seems like a total no-brainer.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPOILER AHEAD

I was never a huge fan of Letterman, but one of his routines that I liked was when The Crying Game was in the theatres, and everyone who had seen it was playing along with not revealing the big twist(which actually wasn't that relevant to the overall story, but anyway).

For about a week or so, Dave would have a part in his monologue where he'd say something like "The Crying Game is still really popular. [pause] He's a man. That's the big secret. His girlfriend turns out to be a man. I don't know what the big deal is."

At which point Paul would go into exaggerated outrage about how Dave had ruined it for everyone.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

So if you need or want spoilers, seek them out. Presumably there is some website that specializes in providing warnings to autism spectrum cinema goers?

This seems like a total no-brainer.

Avoiding the media until you've seen your fucking precious movie seems a no brainer, especially when you know you are likely to see a spoiler.

I didn't say that articles or websites should provide spoilers, only that the idea that everyone wants surprise is incorrect. But thank you for telling me what I really meant. Fuckwit.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:

“Much of the success of The Mousetrap’s longevity comes from the tradition of audience members promising to keep the secret of whodunit alive. Even today, at the end of the show, cast members ask the audience to not tell anyone who the killer is – it’s a practice that’s been a part of the show for decades, and ensures that the majority of audiences who see the show for the first time are doing it spoiler-free.”

You need to watch Toast of London Boogie, the episode where he reveals the ending to Moosetrap on television. Actually, if you like comedy you should watch Toast of London. It is a hoot.

Incidentally, I saw the play. The theatre was cramped and uncomfortable, the actors wooden and the script dusty and formulaic. I was however in a bad mood, as the restaurant where we ate stuffed up our order and almost made us late for the play. My mood often influences my judgement.

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:

Do you wear rubber gloves?

I found this post highly risible, analogy or not.

--------------------
Human

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

But I do think that treating spoilers from a movie that came out a few days ago as common knowledge is a bit rude.

Assuming everyone has seen even old films is rude. Young people will encounter old films as something new. And not every old person has seen the old films.
Some older films are so much a part of the culture that references are near impossible to avoid. But most films, including loads of good ones, are not.
quote:
Avoiding the media until you've seen your fucking precious movie seems a no brainer,

No, it really fucking isn't. The media for something like Star Wars is not just the news section of a website, it is on the front page of the parent site. It is in the sidebars of completely unrelated sites, it is on tech sites, on entertainment sites, in unrelated search results; it is linked on most of the fucking internet.
And what the fucking hell with the vitriol towards people who would rather enjoy a film than be spoonfed every fucking detail?
All I am asking is that writers learn the fucking trade they are in. It doesn't take Pulitzer winning skill to avoid spoilers when writing a review.
"Just go opening weekend" This is ridiculous advice. That cannot always be arraigned and not everyone will fit into theatres opening weekend if they wanted to.
I've seen premiers, pre-release cuts and the dailies for films. Should I tell everyone what is going to happen and give the advice of getting your own access to pre-release material?
Don't give a shit about spoilers? Good for you. Why the spite towards those who do?

Let me put it another way. All I am asking is for people to be moderately considerate. Something you, mt, generally espouse.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Fuckwit.

Right back atcha, brother.

******SPOILER ALERT******
Ain’t no way he’ll let me get the last word here.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Critics and other media have to cover films and they must do in close proximity to the realise date. What they do not need to do is put spoilers in the FUCKING TITLE of the article or in the teaser text accompanying the article. ...

Critics almost never write the headlines. Blame the copy desk.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I found this post highly risible

Spoiler alert: that was the fucking point, you smug self-important hyperventilating fucks.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
I found this post highly risible

Spoiler alert: that was the fucking point, you smug self-important hyperventilating fucks.
You're so cute when you lose.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

LB, honestly mate, just engage in a pastime that screws with your memory. I can see the same film for a second time and not even realise I've seen it before. That's why I enjoy television so much.

--------------------
Human

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
Critics and other media have to cover films and they must do in close proximity to the realise date. What they do not need to do is put spoilers in the FUCKING TITLE of the article or in the teaser text accompanying the article. ...

Critics almost never write the headlines. Blame the copy desk.
ISTM, the headline comes from the text of the article/review, but whoever is too blame. The reviews often contain spoilers and that is irksome by itself, with some sites previewing text.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
LB, honestly mate, just engage in a pastime that screws with your memory.

Though it is not as evident as it should be, I enjoy the ability to use my brain. Of course, if one didn't have much to lose at the start...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have heard of taxi drivers delivering people to the show who were unhappy with their tip and shouted a spoiler.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So there you have a perfectly fine mystery and someone has to shout out "He has risen!"
[Smile]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
quote:

Though it is not as evident as it should be, I enjoy the ability to use my brain. Of course, if one didn't have much to lose at the start...
Yeah, but the great thing about it is that you don't realise its missing for years! Perception is reality my friend!

--------------------
Human

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I have heard of taxi drivers delivering people to the show who were unhappy with their tip and shouted a spoiler.

Okay now that is just shitty.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More than one of you is just fucking weird.

I don't know if that's a surprise or not. For me, there was some new evidence in this thread that I hadn't seen before.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:

I didn’t.

I’ve never had a reliable memory.

This means I can read books again and again but still enjoy them. I simply don’t remember who dun it!

I’m a quick creative thinker but memory? Nope. All my life I’ve needed coping strategies in place of memory.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Og wrote:

quote:
*It’s always bad form to intentionally spoil a plot twist for someone who genuinely doesn’t know and doesn’t want to know, no matter how well known. e.g., if you know I’m reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time, don’t just blurt out the ending
I can tell you the ending now - Wickham has created a zombie army, but he is revealed to be undead himself. I'm telling you, that Jane Austen had a fiery imagination.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Damnit!

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
You're so cute when you lose.

I am reliably informed that I am always cute.

So you mean to say that when you read whatshisface's post about "whenever he goes to a play he always reads it first" because it "enhances his enjoyment" it didn't cause you to spit out your virgin-thigh-rolled Cuban cigar and almost spill your hand-blown snifter full of Rémy Martin cognac at the shocking display of uncouth smugness?

Perhaps it was just me. Pardon me while I renew my bulk order of nitrile gloves.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I'm off to see The Last Jedi tonight, with the family, including one family member who saw it at the midnight showing last week.

I've not read a single spoiler, because ... I don't mean to boast, but I'm not an idiot.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But RooK, it wasn't leo on the film (or book) thread this time, it was Caissa.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016