homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Cancer SUCKS (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cancer SUCKS
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] & thanks for all of your courage, to all for your courage.

[ 15. January 2018, 21:43: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just heard that the cancer has progressed further in my bones. Now I'm waiting to hear what that means to me.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so very sorry to hear that, Rossweisse.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Rossweisse! [Frown] ((hugs))

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rossweisse - More hugs and more prayers.

[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rossweisse [Votive]
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear God.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, the word "progressed," in this context, bothers me. The cancer spread. How is that progress?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Rossweisse.

May that further 'progress' (yes, odd word) soon be arrested.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rossweisse - your capacity for irony at this time is inspiring.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I find that a snarky sense of humor is invaluable in dealing with these things.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Colleague's husband died this morning in palliative care; we became friends in these weeks. He was frightened and then not any more. I'm at work because what else is there to do until asked.

I'm carrying around "cells" myself, whatever that means via their phrase "watchful waiting". Been wondering if somehow creation required a devil.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I am sorry to hear it, no prophet, but grateful that he wasn't afraid at the end.

Cancer (as I have no doubt said before; I find that I repeat myself lately) is the devil.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Votive] for colleague's husband. RIPARIG.

As you say, best carry on as per usual.

Re 'cells', and 'watchful waiting' - IANAD, but this is a sensible option, if said cells are not actually doing anything harmful.

It's certainly true of some brain tumours, such as meningiomas, many of which are not in themselves malignant. It's only when they start having adverse effects, e.g. seizures, that action needs to be taken, if they haven't been diagnosed earlier. If they have been diagnosed, but are not being naughty, then a 'watching brief' is maintained.

IJ

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Update: I spoke to the oncologist, who told me that the cancer has progressed sufficiently to be a concern. (I'm having a CT scan and a brain MRI in February.) He's changing my meds (the good news there is that I was scheduled to have the Shots from Hell tomorrow, and now I never had to suffer them again).

And when I asked if I should return my new little cat while she's still young and cute enough to be easily adopted, he said no: "I would not plan on an imminent demise." (I do like his way with words.)

Has anyone here had any experience with tamoxifen?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tamoxifen was taken by another friend's wife. We blamed it for giving her another 2½ years of life.

Thanks for the comments re what I posted.

I am trying to determine if 8 cups of tea is too many today, and may I please have several more. I suffer from the delusion that tea cures many ills.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister had an unusual type of breast cancer diagnosed first in 1997. Several operations and radiation treatmentslater, it has been discovered that only tamoxifen keeps it away. Every time it has been stopped, the cancer returns , so tamoxifen is taken every single day of her life even if that is another twenty plus years.
It does produce an extremely hot flush every evening on the dot of 9:00 pm, even is sister has no idea of actual time.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Yes, tamoxifen is well-known for its propensity to cause hot flashes. But I'm glad to hear it works so well.

I find it a little amusing that unbearable hot flashes were the chief reason I was put on hormone replacement therapy, which has been associated with breast cancer.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:

My mother took tamoxifen for five years following her treatment at age 60 for breast cancer (lumpectomy and radiation only, as it had not spread to her lymph nodes). She says it gave her hot flashes, and she thinks it may have contributed to the uterine cancer that was removed when she was 70. She is now 81, and her doctor is not at all concerned about a possible recurrence of cancer.

[Votive]

Edit due to X-post: HRT was implicated in my mother's breast cancer as well.

[ 16. January 2018, 21:04: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took tamoxifen for more than four years after removal of a stage 1 tumor from my breast. I stopped taking it about ten months ago.

While I was taking it I had hot flashes, but I was having those before I started taking it. After I had been taking it a few months, the doctor specifically asked me whether I had muscle aches and digestive problems. I didn't at the time, but I developed them after about three years. They have continued even though I'm not taking it any more. I'm hoping they stop eventually.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Thank you, Ruth and Moo.

My oncologist did mention the possibility of uterine cancer, but said he wouldn't recommend a hysterectomy - just yearly pap smears, which I get anyway.

I shall see how it goes (she said, as if there were a choice...).

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Just stop it will you!

--------------------
Love wins

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Rossweisse - your capacity for irony at this time is inspiring.

It certainly is. All best wishes, Rossweisse.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Update: I spoke to the oncologist, who told me that the cancer has progressed sufficiently to be a concern. (I'm having a CT scan and a brain MRI in February.) He's changing my meds (the good news there is that I was scheduled to have the Shots from Hell tomorrow, and now I never had to suffer them again).

And when I asked if I should return my new little cat while she's still young and cute enough to be easily adopted, he said no: "I would not plan on an imminent demise." (I do like his way with words.)

Yes. When I had breast cancer and a lumpectomy 30 years ago , followed by radiotherapy, I was put on Tamoxifen. I took it for years. After five years, people asked me why I was still taking itand I said no doctor has told me to stop! Finally, after ten years, a doctor said to stop, so I did! It had no side effects and whether or not the long time of taking it helped me not to get it again until now, I do not know.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

There was no mention of ovarian cancer or anything 30 years ago because I had already had a hysterectomy including removal of most of ovaries at age 37 because of severe endometriosis.
I never had a hot flush! However, I am getting an occasional very mild one now, being on the Letrozole, I presume.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

Thank you!

As for hot flashes, yes, Letrozole will do that.

I'm going out of town tomorrow for a couple of weeks, and my oncologist isn't starting me on the Tamoxifen until after I get back. A vacation from meds!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

Thank you!

As for hot flashes, yes, Letrozole will do that.

I'm going out of town tomorrow for a couple of weeks, and my oncologist isn't starting me on the Tamoxifen until after I get back. A vacation from meds!

As a self-appointed expert in the field of consumer oncology, I have two pieces of thoroughly tested advice: If your body allows you to do it, a glass of wine every day makes you happier and therefore annoys the cancer; and don't ever lose your sense of humour - feed it and exercise it as often as you can. Or, as my mother in law always advises - Carry on! [Votive] I know; some days it isn't so easy.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oh, I always have my glass (or two) of red wine.

When I was 22, I was borderline anemic. My internist at the time said, "I hate to put you on iron pills at your age. Do you like red wine?"

When I replied in the affirmative (duh), he asked how I'd feel about having a glass with my dinner every night. I allowed as how I could probably manage that. I have done so ever since (except when I knew I was pregnant, or was on meds where it was not advised), and I have never been anemic since. I think it's one of the reasons I'm still around. It's a great little analgesic, too.

And snark helps me deal with all the crap as well.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still waiting for the results of the analysis of "suspicious" cells removed with the sentinel node during my lumpectomy...Will I just need radio/hormone therapy or chemo too? 26th January will bring an answer to that.

[Votive] for all who are affected by this bastard disease, be they sufferers, have loved ones who are suffering, or lost someone to it.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I have "cells" in a male plumbing location. One of the problems is that those who tell you about them differ in delivery of the info. It's the change that is important as I understand it. If the doc or other who talks of it does not recall well, hasn't done a thorough comparison, or if it is another person I can get a little excited and not positively.
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

[Votive] Dormouse

[Votive] NP

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother-in-law was diagnosed today with advanced mesothelioma. He has a long course of both radio and chemotherapy. He was a truckdriver of many types of transport. For sometime, he took demolition rubbish to the tip. This incuded loose asbestos in the times when its danger was underestimated.

[ 02. February 2018, 05:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My very dear friend tells me that she has multiple myeloma. It is in her lungs and chest and has broken her sternum and some ribs. And now she has a blood clot in the area as a reaction from chemo. At Christmas she was a healthy woman with a slight chest pain. Truly this disease stinks.

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Dear God. Every heartbeat is ahead of the game.

--------------------
Love wins

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Dear God. Every heartbeat is ahead of the game.

Indeed.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I have been asked to post on this thread (a rare venture into Hell for me!) on behalf of the opening poster.
Cancer does indeed suck! And it has struck our dear Uncle Pete again. He is in hospital as I write and awaiting laparoscopic surgery on Saturday for colonic cancer.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Dear Lord....

[Votive] for Uncle Pete, and his medical team.

[Votive] for others mentioned here (yes, I know this is Hell, but prayers can be heard even from here).

IJ

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oh, no.

[Votive] for Uncle Pete.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Smudgie.

Fucking cancer.

Thinking of you Uncle Pete [Votive]

Huia -pissed off with the universe.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hit back, Pete - hard!

[Votive]

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you may have seen from the other threads, the news is that Uncle Pete has taken a turn for the worse after what seemed to be a successful operation. He is unconscious and on a ventilator with multiple organ failure. It does not look good.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oh, no. May God give him healing, in whatever form that healing may take. [Votive]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To borrow from Wodders - holding Uncle Pete in the Living, Loving Light [Votive]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Death does not destroy relationship.
Those we love live on in our heart.

And Damn, damn, damn. [Votive]
Prayers for all. For life and relationship.
And beloved shippies.

Please keep us updated.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete [Votive]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Pete.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

If I were Pete, I'd want to wake up on a summer green river bank, feeling GREAT.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016