homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Ship meet/launch party, North of England.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship meet/launch party, North of England.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone up for it?
Date: After the launch, but it is good to be prepared.
Location: To be decided, somewhere near the Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, York, Newcastle train route or the M62 corridor would be convenient to many.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - lunch time is best for us - anywhere.

Launch lunch?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I said on the Absent Friends thread, I'd love to, but we're just never over the Pond at the right time. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be up for it in theory, depending on the date and place (I'd have to get there and back by train).

Will keep and eye on the thread.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Technically up but again dependent on time and place.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there plans to implement a live chat engine on the new site? Or maybe a Twitter tag for the day - so those of us who are less mobile can join?
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alex, I think you would have an answer from admins etc more quickly if you reposted this question in relevant thread on Styx. Questions there semm to be answered promptly.

Lothlorien AS Host

[ 05. January 2018, 20:10: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, count me in. I'm free most weekends.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In principle, yes...depending on where exactly and date of meet!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumping the thread.

Still waiting for the announcement in the Styx regarding the date, but assuming it is this month, the 27th January seems a good date. If the ship gets stuck on the slipway it could be a pre launch lunch party.

Now we need a venue. Is there anyone in a town or city that has not had a shipmeet that could suggest one, otherwise I could arrange something in Huddersfield again.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm doing nowt this Saturday and Huddersfield would be ok with me, but is this too close now if others need to book train tickets?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday is my sort out/recover day this week as Friday I am across to Stockport again.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could make this one if 27th January is happening still. Never been to Huddersfield before... as far as I can remember.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You would remember.

It has one of the finest train stations in Britain.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
I could make this one if 27th January is happening still. Never been to Huddersfield before... as far as I can remember.

Anyone wish to meet at the Head of Steam, Saturday 27th at 12 noon for an informal shipmeet?

We may have to move on to somewhere quieter as there is a home fixture, Huddersfield Town are hosting Birmingham City in the FA cup. Town centre pubs tend to get full.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have used the station, but usually arrived at the bus station in Huddersfield because the cheapest late booking deal is usually the Megabus plus deal (£8.20 one way, £6.20 return, but times don't work, against £29 each way for train).

The station cat, Felix is a well known character.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a child, my parents were prone to very frequent, spontaneous car trips, the destinations of which I rarely took any notice of, so there are a number of places I subsequently realised I have been to before, even if I don't remember.

I've certainly never been to Huddersfield by train as it's not coloured in on my map. A 1980s map which came with a full timetable of the ilk which used to be published bi-annually.

Mmm... better go and look at football fixture times and try and guess which trains to avoid, given I'm travelling from the away team's city.

Which is a complicated way of saying I will be there. [Smile]

[ 23. January 2018, 17:27: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Two routes, via Leeds or Via Manchester are all about the same running time and cost. However via Manchester, the line between Stalybridge and the Standedge tunnel is among the most scenic in the country.

If you are given a choice, Manchester route is best.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I think as long as I come early, wander around for a bit before meeting up, and aim to be back on a train between 3.00 p.m. and 5.00 p.m. I should be OK.

Excellent!

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Think I can managed a wee pint. I'm in.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

That's four of us so far (I am assuming LRP is coming with me), plus I have PMed all who have shown interest.

See you all at 12 noon in the Head of Steam, a pub which is part of Huddersfield station building (on the left looking at the building.) https://i2-prod.examiner.co.uk/incoming/article4907385.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/station-193177923.jpg

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I was already booked out for lunch on the 27th.

Have fun all of you!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it on Saturday. Have a great time.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Just 4 of us then, others can turn up on the day, but as there are only 4, we could work out where to eat. LRP and I know a few places.

Look out for a bald guy on crutches, or the cuddly donkey from my avatar.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I'm hoping I'll recognise you both from a previous meet in Birmingham! [Big Grin]

It's possible you'll recognise me - but I am giving you due warning, that there is significantly less of me than there was then. It's relatively common at the moment that if I meet someone who hasn't seen me in the last three years, they won't recognise me.

ABout to set off to avoid those City supporters.... See you later.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

See you there.

Weather is damp and cold, with rain forecast, which is unusual, it is always sunny here.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not having been on a Shipmeet before, I'd wanted to come to this today, but sadly can't (it's my 7 year old daughter's birthday party [Help] ). Hope you all have a great time!

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I am home!

Thank you all for a lovely Ship Meet. It would definitely be great to come back for a longer day in the summer and have a much better look around at some of the things I didn't manage to see for more than a few minutes today.

Also hopefully I could enjoy the view more from the train between Manchester and Huddersfield, It was grey, damo and foggy today, but definitely still worth seeing.

No sign of Felix, but I spotted a piano in the station... will bring some music as well. I nearly did a bit of improvising, which I enjoy, but didn't want to miss the train.

In the finish, the train I thought I'd missed because the Turkish restaurant's clock was slow, was 15 minutes late anyway, so I got that, arrived at Manchester to find the Birmingham train was on the adjacent platform and hopped on to it with all due speed. Having made it from one train to another in record time walking along the travelator this morning, I have possibly beaten all records for the least amount of time spent at Manchester Piccadilly in two journeys in one day

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear it went well and you got home safely! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LRP
Shipmate
# 5013

- Posted      Profile for LRP   Email LRP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes it was a lovely meet and catch up with shipmates.l got home at 6.30 after visiting my mum then catching up with our daughter on duty at hospital taking her a Costa hot chocolate. Finishing with a bit of shopping locally.
I am really pleased your trains linked up well.
We will try and remember to sort something in the summer.

Posts: 420 | From: Yorkshire lass, born and bred. | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I'm impressed I managed to dodge all football supporters on trains! There was a handful of them on the morning train, ones of more mature years, and they helpfully were planning their pub crawl loudly and confirmed kick off time. There was deep sense in returning on a train whilst the match was on.

Oh, and my new dressing gown is most excellent. I've been on the lookout for a second one for when mine is in the wash. Last year, deep purple ones were easily obtained. Not so this year - except I meandered into a branch of the shop where I got mine in the first place, to find several in the sale! I wasn't convinced an S size was going to fit, but it does.

Mmm... "What did you do at the Weekend, Japes?" "I went to Yorkshire to meet some lovely people and buy a dressing gown." This may just confirm my students in their view I am a little unusual. Plus the tutor (a Lancastrian) may not speak to me all week.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Maybe you should have bought a red dressing-gown ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I was very tempted by a red one I saw last weekend, just to get the job done, but I'm much happier with the purple as it fits my bedroom accessories colour scheme!

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

It was lovely to see Balaam and LRP again and Japes for the first time over cider and Turkish food.

I mooched around for a bit afterwards and spent 20 minutes in the Art Gallery before kicking out time.

I only just managed to stay awake on the train home; luckily the last stop was the Wakefield or an otherwise excellent day would have finished differently.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Yes it was nice to meet Japes and AiE again. The Turkish restaurant was chosen for convenience and because LRP's sister eats there regularly.
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
Plus the tutor (a Lancastrian) may not speak to me all week.

Another plus from the weekend?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I only just managed to stay awake on the train home; luckily the last stop was the Wakefield or an otherwise excellent day would have finished differently.

Are you sure it was terminating? At certain times of day, although you can't tell from the timetables, the train runs in a circle, becoming the Wakefield Westgate to Leeds train, and then the slow Leeds to Huddersfield via Bradford and Halifax service.

Can you imagine waking up and finding yourself back where you started?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

Are you sure it was terminating? At certain times of day, although you can't tell from the timetables, the train runs in a circle, becoming the Wakefield Westgate to Leeds train, and then the slow Leeds to Huddersfield via Bradford and Halifax service.

Can you imagine waking up and finding yourself back where you started?

I can definitely imagine that, hopefully the ticket inspector understood.

Yes, it was terminating at Wakey Westgate, either that or I did fall asleep and completed a circuit and a half [Biased]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016