homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Life downunder (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Life downunder
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for prayers and kind thoughts etc. I did not speak to my sister yesterday as something seemed to be wrong with her phone.

Update on DIL's ankle. MRI shows two detached and ripped ligaments of the three in ankle. Ankle reconstruction with top Sydney guy will be on Thursday and three months off work. He uses tendons to form a new stable ligament, a technique he developed years ago. She works in childcare and loves it but surgeon says leaving nature to take its course will produce an unstable mend in the ankle and she would not be able to look after children. All unpaid of course.

It never rains but it pours.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In matters purple, Bishop Peter Stuart was installed as Bishop of Newcastle on Friday, and has hit the ground running, naming Archdeacon Sonia Roulston and Archdeacon Charlie Murry as his assistant bishops-designate, to be consecrated in May.

Media coverage here

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DIL has ankle reconstruction and was due at hospital today just after 6:00am. The hospital is not far from my place, so son will possibly be here for breakfast, certainly to crash for a while.

Niece took her dad to see the solicitir recommended in such cases for mponey from fund set up for asbestos victims with mesothelioma.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad things are progressing Loth.
Just had a message from my sister to say she has to have facial surgery in March. As she is petrified of needles this is a very big mental hurdle to get over.

In other matters purple our diocesan is going upmarket shortly, and leaving all things pointy hatted to the administrators. I assume we will have another Asst Bish appointed soon and one of the existing ones will be promoted. Unless someone is trucked in from elsewhere. If so, I feel desperately sorry for them. The moral mess they will walk into is a massive pile of muck. [Come Lord Jesus...]

Also of more urgent purple import (to me) is the fact that this morning my overlocker seized...in the middle of wedding garment preparations. The purple thread was doing fine until the needle snapped and jammed the machine completely. Sigh.

Praying I can get it fixed quickly...otherwise I'll have to buy a new machine to get things finished by next week. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BL, I'm not sure what you meant by our diocesan is going upmarket shortly as I thought he was retiring. As for the departing Asst Bp, he seems a very considerable move down the candle for Bendigo. He'd be much more suited to NW Australia or a regional position here.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Banner Lady - any possibility of hiring one? I know of a shop here that used to do that.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee D, I thought Vaucluse would be considered quite upmarket from country Goulburn, even if the purple one is retiring his mitre to be a rector again.

Huia, I have bitten the bullet and bought me a new overlocker. The 12 year old one was completely munted so it was traded in for something I hope will see me out for the rest of my sewing days. And joy of joys it has an automatic threader, and I have been assured I will never have to wrestle with tensions or tangled threads again. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it will.

BL. Exit stage left, humming "Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me...its a teeny tiny bit early but Happy Birthday to me..."

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks - I was not thinking along those lines at all. And the country south along the range is not to be sneezed at by any stretch.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy stitching, Banner Lady! [Smile] (and happy birthday in advance).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
BL, As for the departing Asst Bp, he seems a very considerable move down the candle for Bendigo. He'd be much more suited to NW Australia or a regional position here.

I made two pointy hats for the departing Asst Bp and I agree that he would be much more at home down the candle than up it. I guess, because of his youth and enthusiasm, that he will be learning to be at home in a different atmosphere, and at the same time bringing "a fresh expression"* to that diocese.

*Sung to the tune "Let's get Evangelical, gelical..."

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Dil is home after overnight hospital visit for ankle surgery. Says she is in significantly less pain than at any time since the accident just on four weeks ago. She is on strong pain killers but had four weeks of them and they hardly touched her pain. So that is good news.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope your DIL is continuing to heal Loth.

Bit of a shake up in the National Party here with the resignation of the leader, Bill English. It will be interesting to see how they resolve it as the result is decided on a vote by sitting National M.Ps. One of Bill English's comments to them was not to split the Party over this.

Huia

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure where to put this idle thought, but if anybody is likely to be interested its you lot, so here goes.

I live near Hanging Rock in central Victoria. We are about an hour's drive from Bendigo and Melbourne. For almost every organisation imaginable, we are just in the Melbourne region, or just in the Bendigo region. When I was offered training for my Union, it was offered in Bendigo, when we were inquiring about fostering kids, it was the Bendigo office of the DHS that took responsibility for us. However, we are in the far north of the Dioceses of Melbourne for both the Anglican and Catholic churches. We are 'victims' of organisational geography.

I have been reading a book on the history of Hanging Rock, mostly for what it might say about local Aboriginal history and the history of contacts with Europeans. The Rock is the responsibility of the Kulin nation, but that responsibility overlaps with those of other peoples to the north. Yes, the rock is at the northern edge of Kulin lands.

I am probably both reading too much into that, and overlaying my own interpretations on Aboriginal ways, but I can't help thinking that in this respect at least, there is some continuity. What I mean to say is that I find it a little freaky. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you Huia, but more problems with the ankle today. They had been to see surgeon at the hospital before he startted his Thursday op list there. Despit spending all day on lound with foot up, mulrtiple layers of bandage, never exposed etc., etc. she has developed an infection.

Hospital squashed a vist to surgeon in very early/. He has taken a swab, and prescribed a preliminary powerful braods spectrum antibiotic prior to swab results.

However despite infection, general pain has been less and she had several consecutive hours of sleep last night

we will take any encouragement.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw Peter Weir's extraordinary film Picnic at Hanging Rock years ago, simontoad, and later read the (very different) book. What do you find freaky?

Unseasonal heavy rains fell a day ago in the Cape and I woke up this morning to news that our corrupt and devious President Jacob Zuma has finally resigned. Although I suspect there are more problems within the ANC ruling party, a moment of relief.

Loth, so sorry to hear about your DIL's setback, she is in my prayers.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three days until I begin the big(gish) move Further South™. Getting nervous.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

All the best, Zappa. I have been thinking about it and heard nothing so didn’t ask. Niece returned from time there a while baqck.

She was stunned by the beauty and wondered why she had never been there. Other far flung places around the globe, but not there. Went riding up high which reminded her of Patagonia.

Hope all goes well.

[ 15. February 2018, 19:45: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the best with your move, Zappa, and with your new ministry.

Will be thinking of you, and as "further south" for you presumably equates to "colder", the thoughts will be as warm as I can make them. [Biased]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Well you're heading in the right direction 😉.

If you're taking your kayak talk to the locals before you go out. Conditions on some of those lakes can change rapidly, but my youngest brother, who has kayaked a few says they're stunning and well worth doing.

Best wishes for the work side of life too.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I was cutting a nibble of English Red Leicester cheese which I have not had for ages. Large notice on packet, “this cheese contains milk.” [Ultra confused]

I was reminded of McDs putting a notice on takeaway coffee cups that contents were hot.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loth, Buy a Bale is really getting some coverage here in the Hunter due to the extreme dry conditions we are experiencing, and people must be responding. We've just tried to access the website and donate, and its reached its resource limit, asking us to try again later.

Dams and billabongs are empty and paddocks are parched brown. We were in Maitland yesterday and heard a mobile vet talking about cattle farmers buying 20 000 litres of water which was barely enough to keep their herd hydrated for a day.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks for news of Buy a Bale. A really worthwhile charity to support. Thishas been going a while but there are others.. Grocery cards, money to buy hay, special bus and trailer to carry volunteer tradies to work on farms fencing and repairing pumps and farmhouses etc.

Convoys of hay are run by other groups of farmers. I think they started in Murrumbuttock. I cried when I saw an ABC video of many huge semi-trailers loaded high with bales of hay. They were passing through a one horse town and the school children had come out to greet them, waving flags and junping up and down in glee. The last trailer had a pair of rubber thongs nailed to the back of it.

Farm life is often hard, never easy and I feel privileged to help support farmers.

It is indeed very dry but I had not realised your area is as bad as that. And people grumble about high prices of meat and other products.

[ 16. February 2018, 19:29: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hitting the road today ... may be a lumpy (or cancelled) Strait crossing tomorrow.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Go well, Zappa. Cook Strait can be fierce at such times. Is there anyone in Wellington you can take shelter with if need's be? (bearing in mind the vulnerability of SH 1 to slips, and the alternate route being through an area where bad weather is forecast.)

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Ex tropical cyclone forecast to hit NZ this evening and for the following 24 hours.

Georgie-Porgy will be confined to barracks and I will pack a grab bag for both of us. We may lose power, so if I don't post that could be why.

Oh, and there was a moderate quake last night - which I slept through.

Huia - waiting for the 4 Horsemen to appear at any time.

[ 19. February 2018, 17:47: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Hitting the road today ... may be a lumpy (or cancelled) Strait crossing tomorrow.

Looks like all ferries are operating, but I wouldn't want to be on the late crossings today.

Forecast is for gusts of up to 150 km/hr, which is very strong for the rest of the country and business-as-usual for Wellington [Smile]

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Hope Zappa's OK. State Highway 1 is now closed both sides of Kaikoura.

A state of Emergency has been declared in Christchurch as there is bad flooding in some areas - those poor people have been flooded 3 times within the past year [Eek!] Crunch times for me will be high tides at 9.30 p.m and 3.30 a.m), but the wind may also be a factor as may be sea surges. We have been warned the power may go down at any time so I have torches and the cell phone is fully charged.

I have prepared a grab bag for Georgie-Porgy and am in the process of preparing my own - not because I think we will be flooded here, but Civil Defence suggested it so it would be silly not to.

So - it's just a case of waiting it out. [Votive]

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Not good Huia. The bag ready packed (including many cans of cat food I assume) will take care of a task which we both hope will be unnecessary. thoughts and prayers for all, including Zappa on his journey.

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Huia and for all in low-lying areas in ChCh

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I think there's some magical thinking involved on my part - if I pack a bag and get the cage ready we won't need them [Biased]

I just walked down the drive to the road. The gutters are fairly full but there is no flooding on the road itself and actually far less rain than 9.30 this morning. The main vulnerability may be trees coming down on power lines in the high wind, but that would be an inconvenience, rather than a danger unless there are people walking around out there near broken, live wires.

A news report has just confirmed less rain has fallen here than predicted. Unfortunately other areas of the country are not so lucky, and the west coasts of both islands seems to have copped the brunt of the storm which has now split in two.

I'm taking a torch and a transistor radio to bed on the same magical thinking principal as the grab bag and cage.

Huia

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Tukai and I arrive in NZ and we encounter a cyclone! I thought we left them behind in Fiji. Actually it's not as bad as I expected in Wellington - wet and windy yesterday but the sun is shining this morning. Hope all is well with you, Huia.
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Welcome Marama and Tuakai.

Not sunny yet, but the rain has stopped and there is a moderate wind. Georgie-Porgy has finally been allowed outside after spending the night on a purple fluffy blanket - we have two and fight for possession.

I am definitely going to donate to the Red Cross as Tonga was hit by this cyclone before it was downgraded and I'll always remember they donated to Christchurch following the quakes.

Huia

[ 20. February 2018, 19:07: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Welcome Marama and Tuakai.
Huia

Welcome from me too.
I had hoped a shipmeet might happen but we are a bit thin on the ground here, and I came home yesterday after ten days in hospital, with my new knee, so I wasn't much aware of events outside the hospital.
The knee is greatly superior to the ramshackle remains of the old one, still a bit painful by lunch time but getting better all the time.
In half an hour this morning I welcomed a friend (from church) who sometimes drives me to appointments, the District Nurse to see what I needed (thank you but I can shower myself, and I've been supplied with all sorts of gadgets), the woman with a cute hat who brings my Meal on Wheels on Wednesdays, and my late husband's buddy who had kindly located possibly the last 3 kg of local navel oranges for my breakfasts.
Zappa, I wish you happiness and satisfaction in your new location. Mostly I hope for nice people who will welcome you and appreciate you. (I must learn to say some of that in te reo.)

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Welcome back GG. Good to know the new knee is superior to the old one. I hope your recovery goes well.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

GG - prayers from us for a speedy recuperation (and waiting to see you back on the dance floor).

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Wild weather around north Qld too, but the rallies have all checked in safe so far.

Tomorrow is The Big Day for our family with a fairly fraught destination wedding of our youngest daughter - also my 60th birthday. This was the idea of the bride and groom but it left us trying to navigate through all the stresses this has put on the rather large bridal party. We will be glad when it is concluded and we are all safe home again

It has made me extremely thankful for the much simpler hitching TP & I had almost 40 yrs ago. This entailed an early morning winter walk through dew drenched parklands to get to the Registry office. We wore handmade clothes - TP wearing a fair isle vest knitted by my mother and woollen trousers I had made him. and for me, a woollen skirt and cape I made myself. Rowers were out boating on the Torrens, and a pair of small birds circled us while we walked. We had lunch at a restaurant after with his uni colleagues and that was that. I guess I was marrying an academic, and this suited us both very well. There was enough stress in the enormity of the decision for us both.

This wedding is on another level entirely. Sigh.
See you on the other side!

BL. The one with the slightly fixed smile.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

May all go well for the day and blessings on the happy couple.

By the end of the day that smile may be fixed to your face after lots of photos.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Sydney Harbour has more dangerous things than just sharks

When I studied agriculture we did prac work at weekends on a small farm at a Dalwood children’s Home at Eastwood. Quite suburban area. Ploughing turned up a lump of something about fist size. Lecturer stuffed it in his jeans pocket and at home that night put it in sink and began prising rusty bits of metal from it. when he read 1918, he called police who called Army Bomb Squad. The block of units was evacuated while it was removed and detonated elsewhere. It had been in very dangerous condition , a grenade.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Good news of the day as far as I'm concerned is that the Government is investing several million in the mental health of children in Christchurch and Kaikoura. No coincidence it was announced on the 7th anniversary of the 2011 quake and that it targets children on the East side of town where the damage was worst and the main schools where they located after their houses and schools were destroyed.

The school where I volunteer wasn't one mentioned for funding, but when I looked at the news photos I saw one of a woman who often visits the school to work with children on confidence building and related activities.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

... now ensconced in "Central" ... surrounded by fresh snow and warm sunshine. Go figure. Cyclone Gita chased me all the way south, roads closing behind me as I travelled. One collapsed bridge did hold me up, but rather than the long detour the Transit authorities advised I found a six km detour on a back road.

So this will be my home, probably for about six months. It's well south of Scarily Close.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Best wishes for you Zappa with prayers for you and your temporary parish.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Zappa, good to hear you have arrived safely/ best wishes for your new place.

Huia

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marama and i joined several thousand locals on the wellington waterfront to welcome the vaka moana (replicas of the old polynesian ocean-going canoes). After waiting an hour or so in sun and breeze, the boats were greeted by a flotilla of rowed maori canoes and a dramatc performance about legendary voyager Kupe, accompanied by songs from a choir and new haka written specially for the occasion.
It gelled well with the conference about the pacific islands, which had brought us to wellington.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
short video of the waka odyssey here .
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

It looks brilliant, but no wonder the train service had difficulty coping with the numbers.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Hitching has happened happily. Many small details that did not go quite as expected...including TP discovering he had packed the wrong suit jacket for the trousers (both charcoal grey so no one noticed at all)...the flower girl could not fit into her dress (growth spurt necessitating some fancy nanna sewing)...and we arrived on top of the ordination of a catholic bishop with 5,000 faithful having travelled to attend it. Consequently parking and eating out was almost impossible.

Funniest moment was when the mother of the groom discovered she had left her toiletry bag in her car and decided to go get it while wearing her pyjamas at around 10pm. She retrieved the item and then hopped back into the elevator. Doors were almost shut when they reopened and 6 clergy in full robes walked in. It was an extremely slow lift and I don't think she had ever felt more awkward, though I'm quite sure the clergy would have had a good chuckle afterwards.

Anyway, glad the wedding is now in the rear view mirror and life will be almost back to normal in a day or two. Whew.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Funniest moment was when the mother of the groom discovered she had left her toiletry bag in her car and decided to go get it while wearing her pyjamas at around 10pm. She retrieved the item and then hopped back into the elevator. Doors were almost shut when they reopened and 6 clergy in full robes walked in.

Sounds like it could have been a scene in a silly movie or television show.
[Killing me]

Glad that the wedding went well with just a few mishaps.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

Our valley has had the blessing of steady rain overnight, with just about the best falls since last June. About 50mm or two inches yesterday, and continuing falls overnight and this morning. Thankfully, it did not fall with the severity of Canberra, or else much valuable topsoil would have been stripped away, as there was little growth to hold it together.
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
Our valley has had the blessing of steady rain overnight, with just about the best falls since last June. About 50mm or two inches yesterday, and continuing falls overnight and this morning. Thankfully, it did not fall with the severity of Canberra, or else much valuable topsoil would have been stripped away, as there was little growth to hold it together.

Had a tad over 100 mls in my part of the Hunter since Sunday morning. Very welcome rain indeed

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost time for a last post on this version of the Ship....

I have university students still laying about the house. When will it end?

People are being nice to me at work. I think they want me to stay on for a while (contract finishes in December). Maybe....

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016