homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have snow. Still descending, currently settling on the grass, roofs and fences. We had about an hour of a beautiful white world, complete with large decorative flakes, but now it has turned to slush on the pavements and road.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just rain here.....on, and on, and on.

Dampness and sogginess everywhere.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have had some snow - large wet flakes melting into the wet ground. Some faster flurries rushing about aimlessly. It is very cold out trying to take pictures of the stuff with no gloves 'cos they were in the other coat's pocket.
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's FREEZING here. The hills around us have a smattering of the White stuff, but nothing has stuck on the roads and pavements, thank goodness.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I can see the snow on the hills ... went down to Sully this morning and could see there was some on Exmoor, too. I've just had a Bracing Walk to the supermarket (home by bus!)
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I can't have any raw milk cheeses, which in France means *all the good stuff*. I'd murder for a bit of Roquefort.

I wonder how many murders have been down to maternal cravings?

Congratulations.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
... It is very cold ...

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
... It's FREEZING...

It's -15°C here, and feeling like -27 with the wind-chill.

It's actually a beautiful day - not a cloud in the sky, but still ... And it's forecast to go down to -22° tonight, feeling like -33.

I'll just leave that there for a moment. [Devil]

We may be planning a slight Expotition for the purposes of retail therapy: with one thing and another (pulled muscles, weather, work) D. didn't get round to getting me a Christmas pressie, so I'm going to investigate the sales. I'm happy enough with that - why wouldn't I want to get something for $35 now that would have been $98 last week?

I also need to get a few bits and bobs of groceries - oatmeal for making the haggis at the weekend, chicken-livers if I can find any* (for pâté manufacture) and sundry other things.

* Chicken-livers seem to be in very short supply at the moment: I've been asking for them for weeks and all the shops are saying they can't get them. They've got plenty of chickens, who presumably at some point had livers ...

[Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A bit parky here now - Frost and Ice are forecast for tomorrow morning, along with Sun-Shine later.
[Big Grin]

A good friend gave me a home-made Christmas hamper, containing ( inter alia ) some very nice French CHEESE. Sorry I am indeed not to be able to share it with la vie en rouge.....but seriously, Madame, are you forbidden even the tiniest smidgin of CHEESE?

The hamper also contained some cans of SOUP, including Stilton and Broccoli. I don't normally care for broccoli, but this SOUP was delicious, to say the least, being thick, warming, and nourishing. I shall venture out soon, and see if I can find some more!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay for baby en rouge!!!
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BF, as you're obviously quite a connoisseur of SOUP, why not have a go at making your own? Along with baking bread, it's one of the most therapeutic things you can do in the kitchen, and it's really dead easy.

You can buy cartons of fresh stock (thereby avoiding cubes) and almost anything you've got lurking in the fridge can go in, especially if you invest in a hand blender (or whizzy-whizz to use the technical name [Big Grin] ), as you can make a creamy SOUP which will disguise any ingredients you might not usually like. And don't worry about making more than you need - most will freeze beautifully in single-portion containers and re-heat in the microwave.

When we were house-sitting last winter, the owners had left quite a bit of food in the house (which they expected us to eat), including some broccoli and Stilton, which I turned into SOUP that impressed D. no end, as he normally hates broccoli with a vengeance*.

Retail therapy has been achieved, and I got a cape with a hood (I absolutely hate hats, and don't possess any, but with the sort of winters we get here you really need a head-covering), a pair of leggings and a couple of pairs of tights, and because the shop was having a rather spectacular sale, I got the whole lot for less than the ticket-price of the cape on its own. I also got a couple of vouchers for $50 off if you spend $100, which is a pretty damn good deal, so more therapy will have to ensue ... [Smile]

* One of D's criteria for a good restaurant is somewhere that can make SOUP that he likes out of ingredients that he doesn't.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That cape sounds good Piglet, very useful for your sort of winters.
My sister in law and I hit the sales with my mother yesterday trying to find her a dress for her upcoming 90th birthday party. We found something half-price that looked fabulous, Weill it looked fab when we'd parted her from her vests. Chiffon and thermal underwear is not a good look.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Drizzle here in Heidelberg - just the same as at home. But I'm about to join my son for breakfast, so the weather doesn't matter. It's lovely to see him.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Felicitations LVER! Lovely news.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
That cape sounds good Piglet, very useful for your sort of winters. [...]

It's the Cape of Good Hope! [Yipee]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Groan....... [Razz]

Thanks for the advice re SOUP, O Piglet, but that involves Cook Ing, which I'm not really into at the moment, owing to a severe case of Terminal Inertia.

IJ

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from a lovely day looking at churches with 11th century wall paintings. It's been glorious weather in our little corner, very cold and sunny, and we've had a lovely drive through the countryside as well. Now sitting down with a Nice Cup of Tea.

M.

P.S., meant to add, congratters, LaVenR

[ 28. December 2017, 16:00: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, it's been a lovely day of Sun-Shine here as well. Church-crawling sounds like a good idea for a day such as this, as, of course, does a Nice Cup Of Tea.

I await the completion of the cooking of a couple of tasty Chicken Kievs in the Episcopal Range, together with the customary Baked POTATO. There is still a quantity of fine French CHEESE to follow, and I have treated myself to a cut-price (but still quite acceptable) bottle of PORT.

Speaking of which reminds me of a wonderful but all-too-brief holiday in Lisbon many years ago. On our return, Mrs. BF and I managed to smuggle into Ukland a dozen or more bottles of wonderful vintage PORT to share with our neighbours. O, the memories! The bottles lasted about a week, as our neighbours had (by chance) obtained a quantity of smelly, but piquant, Bavarian CHEESE (known colloquially as Stinkkaese), to which the PORT was an ideal complement.

Ah, happy days!

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We visited Chepstow castle in glorious sunshine, the shadow of every stone chiselled out in shadow. Then a Nice Pub Lunch followed by a lovely drive through a snowy Forest of Dean. The M4 home was less exciting, but quick!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

In 1980, my mum and dad bought a second-hand Merc dormobile in which, over the following 15 years or so, they proceeded to traverse the length (and a good bit of the breadth) of Europe. Returning from their wanderings each year, they'd bring back considerably more Interesting Bottles than was strictly permitted under the law, the excess ones being stashed away in all the little nooks and crannies with which such vehicles are so amply furnished.

D. knew of someone (a music professor and wine buff) who adapted his dormobile for just such a purpose, with every little space suitably padded to accommodate wine bottles.

Proper thing too. [Smile]

It seems rather sad that if this whole Brexit bollocks happens, such things might not be possible any more. [Frown]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Returning from their wanderings each year, they'd bring back considerably more Interesting Bottles than was strictly permitted under the law, the excess ones being stashed away in all the little nooks and crannies with which such vehicles are so amply furnished.

D. knew of someone (a music professor and wine buff) who adapted his dormobile for just such a purpose, with every little space suitably padded to accommodate wine bottles.

This is OK until the springs bend so much that the vehicle's floorpan drags along the ground or the clutch disintegrates on the slightest of gradients ... [Devil]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

They weren't smuggling quite that much ... [Devil]

Then again, that may have been why they got a Merc - they're built like brick privies. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, smuggling is a long-established Folk Industry in this part of Ukland, being so close to France....

Old Kipling put it rather well in this little rhyme...

(I do hope this doesn't offend Ship protocol - I'd hate to be cast overboard at this late stage of the voyage).

IJ

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You’re fine giving a link BF. It’s them as what posts large chunks of possibly copyright material as gets jumped on.

Loved the link. I haven’t seen that in many a year and enjoyed reading it with my breaqkfast coffee.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Grandson born at 7.05 pm! All seems well. [Smile]
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

Congratulations!

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Congratulations and best wishes to all.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Baptist baby [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, hearty congrats to BT's D-in-L, and all the family. Have they chosen a name? 'Noel' would seem appropriate (or 'Stephen', or 'John', or 'Thomas', from the saints commemorated this week.... [Two face] ).

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

No, none of them (but I'm not telling what ...) "Noel"/"Noelle" were ruled out at an early stage, I note that no-one has suggested the highly seasonal name of "Herod" [Devil] .

Thanks to all for kind comments.

[ 29. December 2017, 11:02: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Baptist Trainfan and daughter-in-law.

Glorious day here yesterday, too, but I missed it. Having finally finished cleaning all my daughter's possessions that could possibly clean and recycling / decluttering / otherwise removing those we could not, I slumped into a heap. We thought we'd finished, but opened the storage crate of fabric and dressmaking, which added to washing and recycling piles.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Congratulations all!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to the world, little Baptist grandson [Axe murder]

We celebrated The Intrepid Grandson's second birthday on Boxing Day - Master S had made, and his Lovely Wife decorated, the most spectacular chocolate orange cake. When he lifted the cake tin off it, the very soft WOW that the Grandson made, plus the awed expression on his face, made Master S his slave for life [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, rejoicing in the youngest generation

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's wonderful, congratulations, BT. Welcome to the littlest Trainfan. [Axe murder]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Yes, I shall have to take him to Kings Cross forthwith - one can't start the education too early!
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations BT. My husband, whose birthday is this week, was named after the most popular Christmas saint. His brother, birthday next week, got Simeon as a middle name.
Also huge congrats to LVER and M. Rouge. as well as no cheese or fois gras I guess you won't be depleting your wine cellar much either.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, Grandpa BT, and welcome Baby Trainfan! [Yipee]

If he's going to be a Trainfan, why not call him Isambard? [Big Grin]

The view from the château is beautifully wintery, but alas, so is the weather: it's currently -15°, and a forecast of several more inches of sn*w next week.

C'est la chuffing vie ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, Isambard Kingdom Baptist-Trainfan does have quite a ring to it!

What's all this about King's Cross, though?

Paddington, surely.......

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Yes, Isambard Kingdom Baptist-Trainfan does have quite a ring to it!

What's all this about King's Cross, though?

Paddington, surely.......

IJ

Depends where you want to go, really. [Smile]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

He's a boy, not a bear.

I could have tried City Thameslink ...

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
He's a boy, not a bear ...

I hope someone will give him a bear though. Everyone ought to have a Small Bear. [Smile]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I hope someone will give him a bear though. Everyone ought to have a Small Bear. [Smile]
Bears are my standard baby gift, but occasionally a bunny or a puppy.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My cousin, who was named Hunter, was given a dog. The giver said every hunter should have a dog.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely to see the good news on this thread! Congratulations to all on the Locomotive Grandbaby and the impending Bébé Rouge. [Yipee]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Or a ... (see avatar).

[ETA] You'll enjoy grandparenting, BTF, I do [Smile]

[ 30. December 2017, 16:28: Message edited by: balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've no experience of ordinary parenting, let alone grandparenting, but being an aunt and a great-aunt is jolly good fun (and involves giving Small Bears* to Small Persons). [Smile]

I'm beginning to be organised for the Hogmanay party we're having: I've at last managed to track down some chicken-livers, so pâté has been manufactured.

The ingredients for the haggis are now all gathered, and that'll be done tomorrow afternoon; the clapshot is D's department, and will be looked after tomorrow.

I'm going to cook the red cabbage shortly - it needs 2½ hours in a low oven, so I mustn't leave it too late - and it can be re-heated tomorrow, along with the ham (which is apparently "ready to eat", so just needs glazing and heating through in the oven.

WINE has been procured - including a rather good offer of buy-two-get-one-free on Kim Crawford New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, which makes me a very happy piglet, as the Kiwis make the nicest SB on the planet.

[Yipee]

* or in the case of my great-nephew, a rather large Snoopy, who was (at the time) almost as big as he was.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The ingredients for the haggis are now all gathered, and that'll be done tomorrow afternoon; the clapshot is D's department, and will be looked after tomorrow.
WINE has been procured - including a rather good offer of buy-two-get-one-free on Kim Crawford New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, which makes me a very happy piglet, as the Kiwis make the nicest SB on the planet.

Even better with haggis would be a Yarra Valley Pinot Noir. But not disagreeing with your comment about SB.

The clapshot - is that what the doctor at the blue light clinic gives you when you've got a dose? I

[ 30. December 2017, 23:52: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
The clapshot - is that what the doctor at the blue light clinic gives you when you've got a dose? I

I wondered that myself, but wasn't sure if "clap" and "shot" were Americanisms that might be unknown elsewhere.
[Biased]

[ 30. December 2017, 23:55: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it's an Orkney term for what most of us would call bashed neeps, an excellent accompaniment for haggis.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You're the closest, Gee D. Clapshot, which is the traditional accompaniment to haggis in Orkney, is made by boiling 2 parts potatoes to 1 part swede/turnip* (neep) - separately - then mashing them together with a generous grind of pepper and a moderately indecent amount of butter.

And the rest of you are right - we often get funny looks over here when we call it clapshot ... [Snigger]

* the big purply-brown ones with the pale yellow flesh.

Red cabbage has now been braised, and I'm really quite pleased with the result - I've only done the recipe once before and that was over 20 years ago.

[ 31. December 2017, 04:39: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As it's coming near to the end of 2017, I'm going to put this thread to bed and wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Shiny, bright new thread here.

Thread closed.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016