homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Time to get the sprouts on ... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Time to get the sprouts on ...
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're now well into November, and I don't know about you, but my way of cheering myself up during most people's least favourite month is to start planning ahead for the festivities next month.

How is everyone getting on? Have you "stirred up" yet, or will you do it on Sunday week as prescribed in the Prayer Book?
quote:
Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded ...
Whatever your preparations/foibles/panics, feel free to post them here.

For myself, I've started my shopping (very advanced state of affairs for me!) and am contemplating the manufacture of pressies that can be eaten (jars of red-pepper jelly, that sort of thing).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hush! It's not Christmas Eve!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We can never understand how brussel sprouts could ever be thought of as festive food. And to go back to Piglet's post, how people could waste their good works to bring them forward.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought she was suggesting that if you were to put them on now they might be tender by Christmas.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not for Christmas, rather the period before: I've batch-cooked bolognese sauce, fish pie and a few other bits and pieces for those weeks when we all need (and want) to eat but don't have the time to buy and cook the stuff - rehearsals, carol-singing, etc, etc, etc.

I've also bought roughly half the presents and will make a few in the next couple of weeks.

Christmas cake and puddings will be made next week and the boys will make mince pies and prepare stuff like pigs-in-blankets.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have bought one present - a calendar featuring elephants for my brother who has Parkinson's. Not very creative, but it's hard to buy for someone whose needs are being taken care of. I'll send a donation to the care home too as I don't think everyone there has family to buy little gifts for them.

My youngest brother likes things like curried nuts, so I want to make them (for the first time) as well as several cakes for various people.

I'm not starting anything though until I have finished establishing my vege garden. This is going to be a healthy Christmas foe me, even if it isn't for those for whom I make things.
[Two face]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have today thought about buying Christmas cards - I normally get them from Oxfam - but several different charities have sent various samples to Our Place, so I might acquire them, and make a suitable contribution to A Certain Mission Opportunity that is occurring in our parish...

As regards presents, the purchase of bottles of fine ALE, WINE, or GIN is now on the Episcopal Agenda.

[Two face]

As for sprouts...

[Projectile]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My way of cheering myself up is to pretend that this month and next are not happening.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just ordered a book, Finding God in the Waves, which Jemima the 9th praised on the Lost in a Good Book thread in Heaven. I'm sure my younger daughter will love it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, yes - ISWYM. If only February could be advanced....

But I think it's OK to send cards to family I don't see very often, and to buy a little something for friends (especially those who've helped me out over the past two years).

Aside from that, I'll attend (and, in some cases, officiate at) our Christmas services, in the hope that some people, at least, will get an inkling of the real meaning of the season.

No sprouts, though. VEGETABLES OF SATAN!!!!!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

(My last post was in answer to Schroedinger's Cat. Or possibly not.)

Books make first-class presents, though, or even book tokens, if you're not sure what someone might like.

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have no family, so I only buy a few presents for friends -- because I want to, not out of any obligation.

I do send out a lot of cards, so I hope to get started addressing them soon. (If I do too much handwriting at a time it becomes illegible.) I'm retired, so I can do a few every day.

Sprouts? Never! And I've been invited to friends for Christmas dinner, so I'll only bring whatever side dishes and/or desserts she suggests.

However, I do have a pretty big open house a few days later, and that will take a lot of work. But I love doing it, and try to keep it as simple as possible.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's all this nonsense about sprouts? This is a joyous time of year when sprouts really come into their own. Sprouts with Christmas turkey, sprout butter with the pud, - and in the greenhouse the bottles of sprout champagne wink cheerily back at you, awaiting their effervescent liberation.

I normally celebrate Christmas on my own of course.

[ 18. November 2017, 15:14: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is one of my favourite times of the year. It's January and February that I find hardest, except for the very occasional time when we get snow.
I am half American so for me Christmas preparation doesn't begin until after Thanksgiving which is next week when all the family are coming here to feast.

That said, I have bought Christmas presents for two of our grandchildren this weekend in order to take advantage of a 20% off thingy but I have put them away until later.

As for sprouts, not my favourite thing but made very much more palatable with the addition of chestnuts and lashings of butter.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love sprouts!

Have you tried sprout soup?

Yum [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This week I made red lentil and teff stew with brussels spouts on Monday, and packed for lunch two additional days. Soaked the lentils over night, boiled them and the teff (this is a wee little grain originating in Ethiopia apparently; the local university has a project to help the diet of people in the highlands with lentils), put them in a sauce of tomatoes, cooking wine, dash of cayenne, some oregano, thickened with ground flax. Celiac friendly for one of the guests. I over ate.

The key for my wife and I is that we have to get outside everyday. Having a dog helps. It is more effort when the sun doesn't rise until 10 a.m and it looks like twilight until it sets in the mid-afternood. Fresh air even at -25 or 30°C followed by a cup of tea is a Very Nice Thing.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sprout SOUP ?
[Eek!]

Is Outrage!
[Projectile] again.....

And it's been dark here pretty well all day (low cloud, rainy stuff etc.).

Sunshiny weather tomorrow, though, they gave out on the Wireless.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually the sprouts in the OP were sort of pseudo-ironic ... [Big Grin]

I only eat sprouts if not eating them would appear rude. When we were in Newfoundland, we were invited to friends for Christmas dinner, which always included sprouts cooked with chestnuts, and because the sprouts were only just done (i.e. not soggy and horrid) I didn't mind taking one or two. I wouldn't deprive anyone else of them though (Boogie can have my share [Biased] ) and when it's just us, I wouldn't bother, as D. doesn't particularly like them either.

I'm not so sure that sprout soup would be as much of an outrage as you'd think, BF. Sometimes things that are a bit iffy as veggies can make a really nice creamy soup, and you'd never know they were there. I can even get D. to enjoy broccoli soup, and he absolutely hates broccoli in itself.

I wonder if sprout soup has the "slimming" effect of cabbage soup* - after all, Brussels sprouts are really just circumferentially-challenged cabbages, aren't they?

* Remember the Cabbage Soup diet?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would eat sprouts if served them but woulld not buy them. They would probably sit in vegetable drawer till I threw them out. My grandmother always insisted on the old style white sweet potato at Christmas lunch. The sort that is often black inside after cooking. I much prefer kumara, the orange one . It is also a much more reliable vegetable . Bad bits are obvious, not appearing after cooking.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just got a catalog in the mail which is filled with weird and expensive things. One which startled me was a bottle-opener with a very fancy handle. The price was $185 dollars. They also had a similar corkscrew for the same price.

I will add that this catalog is eighty pages long and is printed on very heavy, expensive, glossy paper. I suspect it cost a lot to mail.

After thinking it over, I have decided that this is a catalog for businesses that want to send Christmas gifts to other businesses. I can't imagine anyone wanting most of the items in this catalog, but the fact that this company stays in business indicates there is a demand for what they sell.

[Ultra confused] [Frown] [Roll Eyes] [Disappointed]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I *love* sprouts and bought the first lot of the season today: tomorrow lunchtime we'll know whether they're OK or whether it's too early in the year.

Perhaps I should have put this on the Unpopular Opinions thread in Heaven!

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
I *love* sprouts and bought the first lot of the season today: tomorrow lunchtime we'll know whether they're OK or whether it's too early in the year.

Perhaps I should have put this on the Unpopular Opinions thread in Heaven!

I have just bought the first cherries this year. Big, full of flavour and juice. I suddenly realised that if I did not get them when I thought of them,the season would be over. A pre-Christmas treat down here, available for perhaps six week, usually less.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Love Sprouts,
All of Christmas shopping done and wrapped.
Love colder season has arrived.
Love a quiet Advent, my favorite season of the church year.
Quiet stay at home time baking and making Christmas ornaments and holiday food gifts for neighbors.
Then celebrates all 12 days of Christmas, visiting with friends and family having a 12th night party, and visiting all the area decorated places between Christmas and the New Year.
Graven Image in her bliss.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently it's forecast to be a bumper year here for cherries [Yipee] [Yipee] They are my favourite fruit, but only the very dark red ones. I have even been known to buy a dozen off-season when they cost heaps, to remind myself that summer will return. I eat them s-l-o-w-l-y and suck the pits.

My favourite short season legumes are peas. It's a bit late but I have just bought some seeds of a variety that doesn't require staking.

I like the orange kumara too Loth, but I have been told Christchurch is marginal for growing kumara.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Huia, I eat the very dark ones too. I think from buying years ago that the variety is called Rons. when children were smalI I bottled most fruits with a Vacola outfit, eventually finishing with the large automatic electric version of it. It was lovely to have summer fruit, home preserved , in the middle of winter. Passionfruit were frozen in icecube trays and made a great addition to bottled peaches etc.

[ 19. November 2017, 03:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sprout soup? Surely the house would stink of it for days afterwards.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Gee D, your post on sprout soup posted twice. Like you, my thought of it was not happy so I have deleted the second post.

Lothlorien

AS host.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks - I clicked on send. Nothing happened and so I clicked again. The time-limiter did not work for some strange reason.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

" ours not to reason why." as the poem goes. Well, sort of goes. Mysteries happen.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The damson gin is coming along nicely and I made the cake a couple of weeks ago. I usually don't bother buying presents until much nearer the time as I haven't a lot of people to buy for.
My son is home next weekend so I'll run my ideas for Christmas main courses past him as he is the family's best cook. We're going to my brothers but as we're vegetarians we turn up with a vegetarian main and a couple of sauces

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've bought a few Christmas foods, because the gluten-free, free-from ranges sell out quickly, and if I can find nice things I buy them when I see them. Free from food are not always that great, so there is a certain amount of selectivity is necessary. I've been looking out for some chestnut puree because we have used a Nigella Lawson recipe for a chestnut chocolate cake that is gluten, dairy and most nuts free.

I also visited a bead shop yesterday that I've used a few times, because it is closing down, and bought the makings for some jewellery without nasty allergenic substances (nickel, wool).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... we have used a Nigella Lawson recipe for a chestnut chocolate cake that is gluten, dairy and most nuts free ...

It doesn't look dairy-free to me: it's got butter in it.

Sarasa, I can't tell you how envious I am that you can get damsons for the manufacture of GIN. I used to make it when we lived in Belfast, and one year when we were in Newfoundland we took a trip across the island in October and found a farm selling the most wonderful damsons (they were so sweet you could eat them by themselves), so I bought a load and made GIN with them. Sadly, I've never been able to find them since. [Frown]

May I ask what your vegetarian main course will be? I'd make a completely rubbish vegetarian (far too fond of meat), but I'm curious about what sort of things you'd have for a special occasion.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, but I can replace butter with coconut oil and still have an edible dish. One replacement is fine, I gave up on one cupcake recipe when I worked out I'd have to swap more than half of the ingredients.

The vegetarian Christmas dish I used to make was a parsnip and cashew loaf from Sarah Brown, served with potatoes, sprouts and her sherry and mushroom gravy. The carnivores ate it alongside their turkey as a particularly tasty stuffing. It is no longer an option as breadcrumbs, butter, cashew nuts and parsnips are all off the menu.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lightly cooked sprouts are among my favourite vegetables - I'm always puzzled by the hate for them! I'm looking forward to the cherries, but even more to the raspberries, which are my favourite food ever, along with asparagus, which we are eating lots of now. My Christmas potatoes should be coming along nicely (Jersey Bennes this year).

I've made several Christmas presents and organised others. Now I need to stick them in the mail to the UK...

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last year's vegetarian dish was a mushroom wellington. I quite often use mushrooms and chestnuts as the main ingredients, I've had choux buns, steamed puddings etc with them in the past. I've also made a cranberry, goats cheese and chestmut ring on a couple of occasions.
Sauces are a red wine sauce which is from a Sarah Brown book. CK had reminded me to have a look there for this year's dish. I also do a celery sauce which is from a Christmas cookbook I received as my SOF Secret Santa present one year. It always goes down well, and geos well with turkey as well as vegetarian dishes.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@Sarasa - would you mind posting a link to the celery sauce recipe?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I can't find the exact recipe on-line for celery sauce but it's in Favourite Christmas Recipes by Carol Watson published by J. Salmon Ltd. It's available from on-line retailers, but not rather annoyingly, from J.Salmon themselves.
BTW Piglet the damsons for the GIN same from my mother-in-law's garden. I wish I lived nearer as she has two trees that produce an amazing amount of fruit each year plus a mirabel plum tree. I reckon I could set up a farmer's market stall with chutney's jams etc!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sarasa, your mushroom & chestnut wellington sounds delicious, as does the celery sauce! In fact, I'm quite partial to CELERY, whether raw or cooked.

I like meat, but I also enjoy the occasional veggie dish. Our late churchwarden used to sometimes treat us, at meetings after Mass, to his celebrated vegetable SOUP (no sprouts - sorry, sprout-lovers).

I guess it's the way the veggies are presented. I don't like parsnips all that much, but roasted parsnips are to die for.

IJ

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Celery is truly the devil’s food. I will just about give it fridge room to make a proper ragu...

Last year’s Christmas food choices were down to the elder ferijenet (then aged 4). Consequently, we had lasagne, which I do recommend for absolutely no possibility of contamination by sprouts, and for overall simplicity if cooked the day before (which also reduces the washing up load).

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sprouts do not "contaminate", they "enhance".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thing 3 (aka Girl) wants to do some Christmas baking. We're going to sister in laws for the big day so while I've volunteered to play chef I don't have lots of organising to do, so I'm going to blow out on baking for tea. I have a mission to make a sausage roll a thing of beauty and have some plans involving quality sausage meat, cranberries and chestnuts. I'll cheat and buy puff pastry though because Thing 1 (aka Boy 1) is milk intolerant so there's not point me breaking into a sweat rolling pure butter out.

Thinking of making some rum truffles as well. Place where I grew up used to do these lovely ones with sponge cake chopped up with rum and coated in choccy with choccy vermicelli or cocoa powder.

Mince pies natch, but everyone'll still be basically full from lunch so I might experiment with light filo mincemeat parcels.

Generally my catering comes with warnings to know who the designated driver is if you're not staying the night. As it bloody well should be at Christmas.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is the the aforementioned celery sauce?
celery sauce of one kind

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Mushroom and chestnut wellington sounds as if it would go very well alongside roast turkey or a roast of beef.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

The celery sauce I do has eggs and herbs in it, but I guess there is a variety of recipes.
In other Christmas related news I signed up to a workshop at our local fabric shop to make felt Christmas decorations. I explained that though I'm a competent knitter I'm awful at sewing. The shop person's reply 'Don't worry it's being run by a brownie leader' - I guess it'll be at my level then....

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Gee D said:
quote:
Mushroom and chestnut wellington sounds as if it would go very well alongside roast turkey or a roast of beef.
Yes, but I rather thought it was supposed to be eaten instead of meat...

(Yes, yes, I know - my irony-o-meter is due for recalibration [Biased] ).

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Don't worry, BF, I was thinking something rather similar. [Devil]

We certainly won't be having turkey, as neither of us likes it that much, and honestly, it would just last too long. We haven't really decided what we'll have instead - last year we had roast lamb, which was rather good - and fed us twice more, which was enough that we were still enjoying it, but not getting fed up.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, on past Christmases, when I've eaten solo, lamb chops (or steaks) have been the preferred dish.

Grilled with a hint of garlic, just to bring out the flavour - I like rosemary, too, but now and then it's good to ring the changes.

Roast potatoes, or perhaps a jacket spud, and a side salad of watercress....

NO SPROUTS!!

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Salmon has been my preferred dish the couple of Christmas dinners that I've spent on my own.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We will have lots of sprouts here. All the cauliflowers bolted this year, but it's been our best year ever for sprouts. Our Christmas Day sprouts will be freshly picked with a food miles distance of about 20 feet.

We're planning something new this year. We've been inspired by the Icelandic idea of exchanging books on Christmas Eve and having an early night with said books. We can't do it on Christmas Eve itself, what with church 'n'all, but we're planning a lazy Christmas Eve eve on 23rd Dec.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... Our Christmas Day sprouts will be freshly picked with a food miles distance of about 20 feet ...

Ours were like that when I lived at home - my dad was a very keen gardener and grew all the root veggies and brassicas we could eat (possibly rather more than I'd have wanted to eat).

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016