homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » BC Wildfires

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: BC Wildfires
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wildfires in British Columbia are still expanding. Much of the interior of the Kelowna Fire District is endangered. As of this morning 35,000 people including most of Williams Lake are evacuated. It's going to be a long summer.

BC wildfires

[Frown]

Holding everyone in the Light.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for posting this - it's not something which has hit standard news here yet, and we were totally unaware of it. May you be wrong in the prediction in your last sentence, and in the interim, strength and blessing for those involved.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my children lives in Kelowna, not much smoke in the air from these. Prevailing winds apparently are carrying it east. Currently at 52° north on the Sask-Man border, 400 km due east of Saskatatoon and there is smoke here from BC. Fort Mac is in our memory.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The interior of British Columbia is always hot and dry in the summer, and wildfires are an inevitable part of life there. Still, this seems to be worse than usual. We're supposed to be heading to the Kelowna area in a couple of weeks to visit family -- I hope they get some rain by then!
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my children lives in Kelowna, not much smoke in the air from these. Prevailing winds apparently are carrying it east. Currently at 52° north on the Sask-Man border, 400 km due east of Saskatatoon and there is smoke here from BC. Fort Mac is in our memory.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worry that as the fire season has started early, it may just keep on going for several weeks, possibly into early September, with no or little let-up. The evacuations we have seen so far may be just the beginning of much more. There's a big fire not far from Kelowna right now -- I'd have alternative holiday plans if intending to head thataway anytime soon, just in case. I understand the whole province is now under a state of emergency.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Thanks for posting this - it's not something which has hit standard news here yet, and we were totally unaware of it. May you be wrong in the prediction in your last sentence, and in the interim, strength and blessing for those involved.

RFS said on another site that they have been asked to supply about fifty people to help. It was noty altogether clear when I read the annoincemenbt if these were actual firefighters or personnel to help in other capacities. I saw the notice several days ago.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cache Creek evacuation order has been lifted, due to decreasing danger in that area. Stay tuned.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So frightening. Having lived through a wild fire all I can say is Lord have mercy. The smell of any wood fire still shakes me up two years later. Blessings and safety for those brave souls who fight the fires, and peace to those forced to leave their homes.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I hear about wild-fires I tell myself I should never again complain about too much H2O (whether in liquid or solid form).

[Votive] for all affected, and for those fighting the fires.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

RFS said on another site that they have been asked to supply about fifty people to help. It was noty altogether clear when I read the annoincemenbt if these were actual firefighters or personnel to help in other capacities. I saw the notice several days ago.
There was a picture on RFS site last night of 48 volunteers. Being briefed here before leaving to help your firefighters. They will probably be away six weeks.

I Know how thankful we are for such extra help so it is good to be able to return it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how it is in British Columbia, but around here most of the township firefighters are volunteers. Heroes twice over.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

A new fire has broken out near Sun Peaks, a ski resort. My niece lives there. [Frown]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

That's near Penticton. One of mine is just north in Kelowna.

I'm in a provincial park just now. The tree person (there's a name for this job, what is it?) wondered about 100+ years of fire suppression thus a lot to burn, people building homes amidst mature trees while being lovely creates risk, house construction not being fire resistant unlike earthquake construction. Fort McMurray is in our minds from last year. So many displaced people in the central interior.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Arborist

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realise these fires were still raging [Votive]

A reporter here managed to tear himself away from the upcoming election long enough to write an article about NZ fire-fighters coming your way.

It must be really exhausting for the locals on the ground.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

Also for the over-heated and/or fiery areas of the US Pacific North West (PNW), the rest of the country, and everywhere else.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GK, I'm obviously going to have to go back to reading more overseas newspapers, rather than the parochial rags available here.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Fire broken out in the Joe Rich area near Kelowna. Everyone evacuated now. The community is on the way to Big White, the ski area. My daughter sending photos which look like there was a volcano. It is burning very fast she says.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016