homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Trivago

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Trivago
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure where to put this one.

I see the Ship now displays an ad for the hotel booking website trivago.com

I used trivago once. They got me a good rate but there were several hidden charges. Also, the booking company they matched me up with went bankrupt, and there is still a question re whether my hotel bill was ever actually paid. I'm assuming it was, as it's been over a year and I surely would have heard from the hotel by now.

But I'll never use them again. I don't care how fetching the guy in the ad is. (A little older than what I prefer, but still fetching.)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never used Trivago, but as to the guy, he's apparently an American who has an active performance career in Germany. If you have access to Radio Canada/SRC, the pitchman is younger and pretty handsome. (Pretty pretty?)
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Google tells me his name is Tim Williams, and that he once appeared in an episode of The Sopranos as a gym teacher whose life was ruined after he reported Tony Soprano's son AJ for showing up drunk for class.

Sadly, his Trivago gig seems to have been taken over by some woman, although his old ads are still shown now and then.

I'm pretty sure I've spotted him in a new ad for some other product -- can't remember what -- looking quite a bit older.

Ah. It seems that Andy Warhol was right. Everyone has their 15 minutes of fame and then their sun sets.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As with all of these aggrivator sites, I use them only to establish some hotels available in the area, and then I go direct to the hotel's website. Usually the price is the same as or even cheaper than the aggrivator.

I love this story from The Checkout with a Christmassy feel.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, you should especially book direct if you are using a small non-chain hotel or B&B. Those folks need all the money they can get, and if you book through them they don't have to pay the big guys their cut. If travelling in the United States, avoid the chains. The beds are standard and great, but the breakfasts, usually included, are woeful, parts practically inedible. Whereever you go, the breakfasts are all the same terrible standard. Same OJ, same wrinkled sausages made of off-cut meat, same weak coffee, same waffle paste and iron. Capitalism gone mad.

[ 21. August 2017, 01:17: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016