homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Bon fete, mon pays!/ Happy birthday, my country! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bon fete, mon pays!/ Happy birthday, my country!
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canada 2017! Who remembers the glorious centennial year in 1967?

A new thread for 2017. [Axe murder]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember 1967 (yes, I am that old [Big Grin] ) but not really from a Canadian perspective; my world-view at that time only extended to Scotland.

Happy new year to all my adopted countrymen, and happy birthday to my adopted country! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good grief that makes the country almost as old as Pete!

...but not quite!

[Two face]

Only joking Pete.

Happy New Year to all!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still sing the Ca-na-da song by Bobby Gimby. Apparently most people hate it, at least when I sing it. I loved 1967. I hope to love 2017. Kind wishes to everyone for the next year.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was too young to remember 1967, but I remember Pierre Trudeau visiting my very small town in 1968 or '69.

I am rather looking forward to our sesquicentenial. I'm not certain precisely what yet, but I am going to host something to honour this country that has been so very good to me.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have vague memories of Expo 67 held in Montreal (tbh, I had to look up the site of the Expo) but I do recall that it cost a pile of money. Much like the Montreal Olympic Games nine years later. Is there something about Montreal that eats cash?
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I have vague memories of Expo 67 held in Montreal (tbh, I had to look up the site of the Expo) but I do recall that it cost a pile of money. Much like the Montreal Olympic Games nine years later. Is there something about Montreal that eats cash?

Yes.
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm anxious to see where all the funding goes. 2014 was a huge deal here - 150th of the Charlottetown Conference - and everyone kept saying how this would be nothing compared to the dollars coming our way for 2017.

I was quite small for Expo '67 and really only remember cringing down inside the pod on the Spider ride in the amusement park. We were living in Florida at the time and came home to Montreal for it. I do remember Bobby Gimby's visit to our elementary school in Saskatchewan. It was a very exciting day. The entire school had learned to sing his songs so it was a sing-a-long concert. I will never forget his great enthusiasm and animated playing and singing.

Our regional weekend radio program host did a Canada-wide show yesterday. It was an excellent history lesson through song. They called it Canada 150: The Mixtape.

So far, I've ushered in the New Year with a sick dog. I'll try to get with the program by the time the warmer weather rolls around.

Wishing you the best for 2017!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I have vague memories of Expo 67 held in Montreal (tbh, I had to look up the site of the Expo) but I do recall that it cost a pile of money. Much like the Montreal Olympic Games nine years later.

My impression is that places that host the Olympic Games usually lose a bundle. Before the games there is enthusiastic talk about how these new facilities will be used, but frequently they fall into disuse.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy New Year, and happy sesquicentennial to my compatriots!

We have had Newfoundland-like quantities of snow here this year. Fortunately, this is also the first year we've had a snowblower! It's small, really a glorified blowdryer, but still easier to push it into the snow than lift the snow with shovels.

I'm sure Ottawa Shipmates will be deluged in late June with company who suddenly remembered their existence [Big Grin] hope your hospitality is appreciated! [Smile]

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
... this is also the first year we've had a snowblower ....

The friends for whom we're house-sitting have a really nifty cordless snow-blower (just as well, as they've also got a driveway), and when we got about a foot of snow on New Year's Day, D. gave it some exercise. I was watching from the house and you'd think he'd been doing it all his life.

[Overused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall that, in 1967 for the Centennial, the town of Saint Paul, Alberta, built a UFO landing pad as its centennial project. I think such projects are to be commended.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Happy New Year, and happy sesquicentennial to my compatriots!

We have had Newfoundland-like quantities of snow here this year. Fortunately, this is also the first year we've had a snowblower! It's small, really a glorified blowdryer, but still easier to push it into the snow than lift the snow with shovels.

I know that you and your snowblower will be very happy together - they are a joy. Just don't ever drive it over your car's engine block heater cable that is buried in the snow you are clearing. We don't need to discuss how I became an authority on this.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
I know that you and your snowblower will be very happy together - they are a joy. Just don't ever drive it over your car's engine block heater cable that is buried in the snow you are clearing. We don't need to discuss how I became an authority on this.

Ooh! <pained face> I witnessed the results when my brother-in-law went over a long plastic snowbrush with a snowblower. The results were Not Pretty. Shards of plastic everywhere, and it made a really gnarly sound.
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Friday after work I will be flying to Washington DC for the weekend. I hope things are fairly quiet, but I will settle for noisy as long there is not a riot.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good luck with that, Sharkshooter! [Eek!]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a good number of years in Canada I've never watched an ordinary hockey game - just never interested me at all. But today, while my Dear Wife was busy scaring donald fart in Washington I went to see a sledge hockey game - something I'd never even heard of until recently. Our friend's daughter plays for the fearsomely named Hamilton Sledgehammers and the players are all what is loosely called disabled... An incredible sight as these young people in full hockey gear hurtled about the ice at high speed on minimalist sleds. A few of them had 'pushers' to help them, so they played as a duo - beautifully done, including one who has almost no eyesight but took a full part in the game. It was touching and inspirational, and a damn fine game to watch.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was recently re-reading my copy of "New Celtic Cooking", bought in Canada some years ago, ST, and thought of you - it has a recipe for butteries. Let me know if you'd like it, and I'll post it on the recipes thread in Heaven.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Please do, Kittyville. I can't speak for ST, but I love butteries, and wouldn't mind giving them a go.

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

I had to go back and read that.... I thought, What the hell? Recipe for batteries? [Ultra confused]
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
I was recently re-reading my copy of "New Celtic Cooking", bought in Canada some years ago, ST, and thought of you - it has a recipe for butteries. Let me know if you'd like it, and I'll post it on the recipes thread in Heaven.

That would be really good - thank you. Quite a long time ago we were with friends in l'Annonciation, a long way north of Montreal, and was told that I had to try the unique croissants at the local bakery. With one bite I was transported back to 1960s Aberdeen and the old style butteries that I am sure were still made with lard back then. I'll be interested to know how that compares with the New Celtic version. I promise Piglet I'll try them without Marmite first.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
I had to go back and read that.... I thought, What the hell? Recipe for batteries? [Ultra confused]

I read it as "butterflies."
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

I read it as "butterflies."
[Smile]

Ditto [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... I promise Piglet I'll try them without Marmite first.

Marmite??? On a buttery? Heretick! [Devil]

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't posted the recipe for copyright reasons (which I obviously should have thought of earlier), but I found a very similar one by the Hairy Bikers on BBC Food.

New Celtic Cooking is a great book - highly recommended, if you come across it.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Kittyville - I found the Hairy Bikers' recipe on t'web and I've posted a link to it in Heaven.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
I haven't posted the recipe for copyright reasons (which I obviously should have thought of earlier), but I found a very similar one by the Hairy Bikers on BBC Food.

New Celtic Cooking is a great book - highly recommended, if you come across it.

Just asked the public library to get it for me (after having to tell the computer, No - I did not mean "Slow Electric Cooking". Celtic electricity is a different topic entirely).

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

Five dead in shooting at a Quebec City mosque. Jesus.
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Five dead in shooting at a Quebec City mosque. Jesus.
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

And the first thing that came to my mind was to blame Donald Trump. Of course there is no information about that whatsoever. I'm amazed that that was my first thought - how can one man have so much power to stir things up!?! I used to live in Ste. Foy and am shocked to hear the news. [Votive]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
... I used to live in Ste. Foy and am shocked to hear the news. [Votive]

So did I.

My prayers are for the victims, family, and friends of those injured and killed in this madness.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dropping in to the Canada thread to offer prayers for the victims and survivors.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
... the first thing that came to my mind was to blame Donald Trump.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. [Paranoid]

[Votive] for all affected, victims and survivors.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<knock knock>

Group hug? [Waterworks]

Thanks. [Votive]

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ottawa joins the other large cities

I see problems ahead, given that it is the Nation's Capital, as all the signboards used to say.

But am pleased and hope it happens.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started a thread. Couldn't not.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It seems to get earlier every year, but Roll up the Rim appears to have started, and I've apparently just gagnezed some potato wedges.

Makes a change from doughnuts I suppose ... [Big Grin]

Anyone else gagnezed anything yet?

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

I'm 1 for 9 so far - a cookie - which I can't eat anyway. Gave it to my niece.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

How's everyone on the right-hand side coping with this spot of weather?

We got 79cm of snow yesterday, which is apparently the biggest single snowfall in Freddy since 1967.

I'm assured by a lady in the congregation that this is unusual; I sincerely hope she's right.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

No more snow here and not much left lying. I did gagne a free coffee today, but I need that new car even more.

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently its going to be patio weather this weekend here in Toronto.

Better then what we had last weekend.

0 for 1 so far this year but I don't pass by a Tims that much anymore when I feel like buying a hot drink.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
No more snow here and not much left lying ...

In my dreams. [Frown]

We're supposed to get +6° on Sunday, but it would need to stay like that for about a fortnight to shift the heaps we've got.

The drive where we're house-sitting got well and truly ploughed in this morning - the heap must have been about four feet high at its peak, and it took both of us about half-an-hour to clear enough to get the car out.

I hate snow. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...I hate snow. [Waterworks]

[Big Grin]

Mind you we are off to the mountains on Monday so I think I might feel a trifle cool at night.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... a trifle cool ...

You mean below 25°C? [Big Grin]

--------------------

# 3200

Who knew Emerson Manitoba would be our version of a hole in the Berlin Wall

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... a trifle cool ...

You mean below 25°C? [Big Grin]
More likely approaching zero! How will I cope?

The annoying thing is that I can't find either of my long sleeved sweatshirt type things, I may have to buy another when we get there.

eta: I then found the sweatshirt in full view, left out ready for packing - sometimes I despair of myself!

[ 19. February 2017, 05:35: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Who knew Emerson Manitoba would be our version of a hole in the Berlin Wall

If Mr. Hoffman is that keen on Trump, maybe he would like to move south ... [Devil]

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

I ran across this on the G&M website, and since there are posts regarding Tim Horton's above, I thought that this might be of interest. I've never been a Timmy's fan, but I recognise the loyalty that it commands. web page
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
I ran across this on the G&M website, and since there are posts regarding Tim Horton's above, I thought that this might be of interest. I've never been a Timmy's fan, but I recognise the loyalty that it commands. web page

Fixed link. Fascinating read. Depressing.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

And in breaking news from southern Ontario, spring has been cancelled, the temperature will be below zero and will stay there until further notice, the snowfall will be utterly objectionable, and the brass monkeys will continue to be in hiding at least until April, possibly June.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016