homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » charles Bonnet Syndrome

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: charles Bonnet Syndrome
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever since I had sight loss, I have had a pattern which shows up every now and again. It is the retina sending false messages to the brain. For the last two days, this Charles Bonnet syndrome has been working overtime - producing not only the overall blue pattern with diagonally reddish lines, but a whole range of other patterns, sparkling lines, etc as well. These patterns constantly move and change, leaving me every now and again. The range of colours and combinations of them and designs has never before been so varied and extraordinary.

I had an interesting conversation with someone at the RNIB who knows all about this recently, and it seems that any pattern, from the type I am seeing right at this moment, up to the full scenery that some sight loss people experience comes under the heading of the Charles Bonnet Syndrome.

I was just wondering whether anyone here knows anyone else who experiences this?

I think this is the right place for this question.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am only partially sighted in my left eye. When the doctors were taking pictures of the retina in there I saw the most fantabulous colors. None of them real, of course -- they were generated by the lights and drugs and whatever exciting the nerves. I was sufficiently impressed that I painted what I saw (looking of course only through the right eye).

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an acquaintance who says his Mum has Charles Bonnet syndrome, and she hallucinates very vividly. But not merely colours, also people and animals. Her condition may be particularly aggravated however by her medication, and potential UTIs!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda clough and Anselmina

thank you for your interesting replies. I wish I could paint the patterns I see too!!
It is interesting to hear about the syndrome of your acquaintance's mother, anselmina, and how it could well be affected by medication.
May I ask how much vision, if any, this lady has, that is if you know of course.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SusanDoris, I think your very interesting thread will find more response in All Saints, so I'm sending it over there.

Hold onto your hats! [Smile]

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a new one on me, but then, I'm fortunate in (still) having reasonable sight.

I gather that some of the images and hallucinations resulting from CBS can be quite frightening - SusanDoris, I do hope that is not the case with you.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
This is a new one on me, but then, I'm fortunate in (still) having reasonable sight.

I gather that some of the images and hallucinations resulting from CBS can be quite frightening - SusanDoris, I do hope that is not the case with you.

IJ

Thank you for saying. No, fortunately, not frightening, just very annoying because the designs tend to block out for instance the computer screen. As I use Synthetic Dave to read me what's on the screen, it doesn't impede me much. It has eased off a bit yesterday and today, but just now there was a large oval on the left .which is like a set of small rectangular windows which shimmer behind their black framework. In the foreground are several multi-coloured, overall impression light purply upright odd long shapes, sometimes turning themselves into sort of spindly fingers with red nails!!! These are not shimmering, just constantly altering in shape.
It will go away for months at a time and then last for a few days. It is, though, never continuous. there are always breaks inbetween.
And I think to myself, what a waste of my brain's time concocting all these pictures...!!!

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not visually impaired but I work with those who are and sometime people do describe various visual hallucinations, which as said above can be very vivid in some cases. Often what people need is reassurance that this is a known phenomenon in people with sight loss, that it has a name and that they are not going crazy! I've had a number of people confide that they were afraid to tell anyone about what they are seeing, especially their family members in case they think that they are starting dementia or something like that. Reassurance and information about Charles Bonnet Syndrome is very important for these people.
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was why I executed these 3 paintings, which look like not-very-good abstracts. I showed them to my retinologist, who was utterly bemused that a patient would address an issue with paint and brush.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have any direct experience with it, but there's an excellent chapter on Charles Bonnet syndrome in "Disturbances of the Mind", a great book with a misleading title. The book is about various neurological conditions, mental conditions, parts of the brain, syndromes, etc. that are named after people, and who those people were. Because of the author's own experience with knowing people who had Bonnet syndrome, he opens with a chapter on it and on who Bonnet was (a doctor whose father had the condition, IIRC).

It's a fascinating book for these personal connections. Apart from the chapter on Bonnet, the particularly memorable chapters for me were the one on Parkinson, and the one on the big debates surrounding Broca's area.

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

That souns like an interesting book. I'l see if the RNIB have an audio copy, or maybe an extract. It is a while since I read the Wikipedia entry... ... so I have just had a look at a couple of links.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016