homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Land of the Metrical Psalm - Scotland 2018

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Land of the Metrical Psalm - Scotland 2018
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I wish all my fellow Scots all the best for the new year, and hope your heids aren't too fragile!

Sandemaniac, in case you're interested both the Boys' Ba's (Christmas and New Year) went up ( [Frown] ), and both Men's went Doon ( [Yipee] )

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heid fine - we had a comparatively early night, getting back to the Parental Knotweeds' abode by 2am! A late lunch today involving Normandy pheasant and plum pie (pheasants from our neighbour, apples and plums from parental trees), and we wandered home about 6pm. Getting up for w*rk on the 3rd will be a shock!

The Ba' results have been yelled across the room to Sandemaniac, congratulations to the Men [Smile] , commiserations to the Boys [Frown] . He was making comments about the Ladies one being too dangerous to ever be played again...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the quietest Hogmanay in years. I usually go to the Biggar Bonfire for a bit of pagan festivity, but the car has a minor fault that makes it illegal to drive, and the garage doesn't open till tomorrow. So I lit the fire, binge-watched past episodes of 'Line of Duty', then toasted in the new year with some left over Bucks Fizz.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My head is fine, it's my stomach that is aching. My mother produced vast quantities of delicious food over Hogmonay and I may have over-eaten....

I had a nice walk through the Ness Islands yesterday, but even a bit of exercise in a bracing wind wasn't enough to reduce the general stuffed feeling.

I got a crime novel set in Inverness for Christmas - Shadow Man by Margaret Kirk - and I thought it described Inverness very well. Lots of mentions of Harry Gow dream rings, traffic backing up at the Millburn roundabout etc.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had some friends over for supper and to take in the New Year; I made haggis and D. made clapshot, and we also had a small baked ham and braised red cabbage, washing it all down with copious quantities of wine (some of it fizzy).

A very jolly way to celebrate the season - hope to do it again!

And, judging by the slightness of my hangover, it must have been good wine.*

* It was mostly New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, so it was very good indeed. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016