homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » South Wales Shipmeet in March, anyone?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: South Wales Shipmeet in March, anyone?
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darllenwr goes to a tune club which learns, and plays, traditional Welsh music.
The group will be playing a couple of sessions in the foyer at St. Fagan's, the National Folk Museum just outside Cardiff. Does anyone fancy meeting up to a) hear some good music, b) see some of the latest developments and last but by no means least, meet up with some shipmates?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, forgot to put the date - Saturday 24th March.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't any plans to be in the area then, sadly, but that does sound wonderful. I love St Fagans!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am very tempted, but can't commit now.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Alien is at school that day, otherwise we'd probably be up for it.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This sounds like a great idea, St Gwladys. I'm not sure I can make it but keep me informed just in case!

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might be able to make it

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps ... I too like St. Fagans. Last time we were there the foyer was host to Zulu dancers!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Pants, is the Alien in school on a Saturday?.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is the Saturday before Palm Sunday.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very tempted, depending on how organised I am for Holy Week, and how the end of term is going. If I am utterly wiped out and need to conserve energy for the last 4 days of term, I'm a "No", but if there are some shreds of energy left, I'm a "Yes."

(We don't break up until Maundy Thursday which is my least preferred option. Church-wise, though, I'm not convinced we will be doing much, if anything, on Monday - Wednesday, given recent years' attendance, and are more likely to put energies into the Triduum this year.)

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone is interested in such things, you will be able to demonstrate a deep knowledge of unusual musical instruments to anybody who asks, "What on earth is that?" I will be playing my 12-string guitar for most of the set, but on the one item I will be playing a Bass Flute - very rarely seen in the wild. We also have a lady who plays Nickelharpa (I hope I have spelt that right), a sort-of bowed version of the Hurdy Gurdy. Our Occarina maker / player will likely be with us as well.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How very exotic! And I thought ocarinas were only found in crossword-puzzles. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
If anyone is interested in such things, you will be able to demonstrate a deep knowledge of unusual musical instruments to anybody who asks, "What on earth is that?" I will be playing my 12-string guitar for most of the set, but on the one item I will be playing a Bass Flute - very rarely seen in the wild. We also have a lady who plays Nickelharpa (I hope I have spelt that right), a sort-of bowed version of the Hurdy Gurdy. Our Occarina maker / player will likely be with us as well.

Wot, no serpents, theorbos, cimbaloms or ouds? Is outrage!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I can raise you one Button Melodeon and one Bayan if that will help ...

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Indeed that will! (I don't know what a Bayan is).
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

A Bayan is (sort-of) a button accordion, up to 5 rows of buttons for the right hand, giving a working compass of over 6 octaves. On the bass side of the instrument there can be up to 120 buttons. As you might guess, it is quite challenging to play. The best players I have encountered so far are Russian - have a look on YouTube for an arrangement for Bayan of Vivaldi's 4 Seasons.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

We'll probably have more information as to time, etc, after our next tune club, which is the 2nd Saturday of February.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

More information:
The tune club will be doing two sessions in the foyer at St. Fagan's at 11am and at 3pm on the 24th March.
St. Fagan's has free admission but there is a charge for car parking. There are several cafes and restaurants, varying from snack bars to canteens to tea rooms.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Easyways Bus 32a runs from Westgate Street Cardiff (not far from Central station) hourly at xx05 on Saturdays, returning from Museum at xx30. (It's more frequent during the week). Welsh concessionary passes are valid and it stops right inside the museum - I've used it! Current timetable.
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We won't make it, but have a fab time and give my love to St Fagans.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit too far for us for a daytrip.
But maybe we can get a mid wales shipmeet sorted out later in the year.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

We'd be interested in that as we used to go up to Welshpool to the railway. If you organised something in the summer, when we get long days?...

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are three miles from the railway at Welshpool.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

You can, of course, still get to Welshpool by "proper" train ... it's on the Cambrian main line.

[ 20. February 2018, 07:38: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
We are three miles from the railway at Welshpool.

Ah, yes. Know it well. I grew up getting filthy in Llanfair yard in the late 1960's, early 70's. My father was then CME for the company, subsequently being elected to the board of directors. Since St Gwladys and I got married, I haven't had much opportunity to be involved at Llanfair, but my sister has recently stood down from the board due to commitments at home.

When dad was CME, he would disappear into the workshops to do [whatever], leaving me to clamber all over the engines. At 10 years of age, what is a small boy's main ambition in life? To get filthy dirty, of course. Steam engines standing in the local coal merchant's yard (for such it was as well as the station yard) during the winter, covered in grease to protect them from the weather, offered me plentiful opportunity to fulfill that ambition ...

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Looks like we've potentially got two Shipmeets!

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

As a thought, if we were to hold a shipmeet at the railway in question, there is a fair chance it will attract Marvin the Martian.

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

Lets not set up another meet here - I'll post something when we have got past Lent and Easter and know the diary better. Maybe in July?

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Sounds good 2 Shipmeets in one year!

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016