homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Animal companions in our happy homes (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Animal companions in our happy homes
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
...he also did a wonderful rant asking people to consider adopting black cats as it seems that they are most likely to be left at shelters and not adopted, so they end up being killed. ...

That's one reason I adopted my Aida. The only problem I've discovered is that black cats are awfully easy to tread upon in the dark.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
That's one reason I adopted my Aida. The only problem I've discovered is that black cats are awfully easy to tread upon in the dark.

A Wagnerian naming her cat after a Verdi opera?
[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In terms of singing, I was actually a mostly Mozartian, with digressions into Britten, Rossini, and whatever else someone wanted to hire me to do. But when it comes to cats, I apply the name that fits - and Aida is a princess, beautiful, and a soprano.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spikey is definitely an alto (though at 3am she can be Queen of the Night...)

The orange scented cleaner arrived, but did zilch to stop marking. So yesterday we asked the owner or a nearby pet shop, who gave us a special spray. She seemed OK yesterday so here’s hoping.

The renal food is still going down well too.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Georgie is very reluctant to eat the expensive cat biscuits for 11+ cats, but Spooky (my name for the wandering 2 year old black cat) makes them disappear very quickly when she sneaks inside.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How is Georgie now, Huia?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She seems to have returned to her usual self, which leaves me wondering if it was just a passing illness. She comes in to eat, then goes out just like she did before. Maybe I was just overreacting, but I though she was really sick.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to hear it, Huia - may she remain well! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I awoke in the middle of the night to find a cat asleep on either side of me. Perhaps the wars are winding down. (Please, let it be so!)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

What a lovely thing to wake up to!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Today, they were both on the same side. Perhaps we are over this particular hump.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I hope so Piglet.

I saw a small needlework banner at the Market on Sunday that said. "Cats leave pawprints on your heart" and I wanted to add "and toothmarks on your toes" because mine have been nibbled if I didn't get up instantly when breakfast was demanded.

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And deep bleeding claw marks on your arms or thighs from enthusiastic kneading. Purr, claw, purr, claw.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
into which they then dribble....

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Renal food, where have you been all my cat-owning life?

Spikey is eating so much better, and keeping it down. She's also less anxious - no more marking.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Yay Spikey! And what a relief Gill.

I have just come back inside from preventing Spooky (small, black female cat from down the road) being beaten up by Storm (large grey cat from across the road). Georgie-Porgy was the audience.

Storm was standing over Spooky and growling, he took one look at me and slunk away. He does the slow motion I'm-not-really-here slink very well and I've seen him slinking up to the water bowl when Georgie was sitting up on the step.

As neither Storm nor Spooky are my cats I could have just left them to slug it out, which they probably will do when I'm not around, but I hate seeing Spooky's bounciness supressed.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Spooky. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Yes, poor Spooky. (I have a soft spot for black cats.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sybil and Oreo are still fighting it out whenever they get near each other, but I think there may be some small improvement. Or maybe I'm deluding myself.

So glad to hear about Georgie-porgy feeling bettr, and Spikey.

[Snigger]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

It's getting better here, Nicole - two mornings ago I awoke to find a cat asleep on each side of me, while yesterday and today they were both asleep on the same side.

We still get cat spats, but the social climate is markedly warmer.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Cat Chronicles! Keeping fingers crossed that the warring cats settle down.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Cat spats? Aren’t they what Bustopher Jones wears?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My elderly sibling cats have the occasional hissy half hour, but he will also groom her rather sweetly when she's snoozing.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My siblings will fight under the bed. Alas, while we are sleeping in it. The one will lurk under the edge of the box spring while the other reaches in with a paw to whack her. Much hissing, yowling and scrabbling, at two a.m.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Well, today Spikey was marking again. So tonight has been Mop The Floors night.

I wonder if she has an agenda of making me clean the flat regularly?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you using Simple Solution or similar? Normal cleaners and disinfectants smell of wee to cats and dogs.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently citrus oil is supposed to be a deterrent.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do cats continue to mark in the same place because (despite cleaning) they can still smell their wee? And if it's cat-wee scented it must be OK?

Are there things about that actually break down the cat wee residue chemically so that the scent no longer remains? I seem to recall a friend of mine mentioning something like that after their cat had an accident on the furniture.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Do cats continue to mark in the same place because (despite cleaning) they can still smell their wee? And if it's cat-wee scented it must be OK?

Are there things about that actually break down the cat wee residue chemically so that the scent no longer remains? I seem to recall a friend of mine mentioning something like that after their cat had an accident on the furniture.

Yes and yes.

Simple Solution does the trick, it breaks down the wee with enzymes and removes all smell, even from super sensitive cat noses. I use it for my pups when house training [Smile]

[ 11. February 2018, 12:53: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

I'm using Method cleaning products (or Methodist as autocorrect tells me) which don't have nasties in. But then also using a special spray from the pet shop to clean areas where she marks.

It's not wee. It smells really sweet - pheromones?

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sugar in urine indicates diabetes in humans.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

30c here and I decided to have a lie down in the cool of my bedroom as I'd just walked a few ks to pick up cat meds and Advantage (for the fellow-travellers [Biased] . Georgie-Porgie thought that was an excellent idea and, after tromping all over me, subsided into an overheated pile of fluff.

Attempts to dislodge her proved that her claw sharpening skills are second to none.

I am being bullied by 3.3kg of fluff and claws [Waterworks]

Huia

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Snow!

Keir (eight months old) couldn’t wait to get out in it!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

We had hail yesterday. The cats preferred to stay by the wood-burning stove, or on my lap. A no-brainer.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our hail was followed by snow, but it didn't really settle.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was raining hard yesterday, but Tobey the Fold insisted on going out. He has a cat bed on the front porch, and we have one of those microwaveable heaters to slide under it, so he is very cozy. I opened the front door and said, "Tobey, do you want to come in?" He met my gaze and then very slowly closed his topaz eyes and fell asleep. I guess the answer is no.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Brenda, Tobey's reaction reminds me of something I came across -- "if a cat could talk, it wouldn't."

Their non-verbals speak louder than words.

Huia

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie, looking at all that lovely white had me imagining my dog being confronted by snow. Given that she turns tail if it is raining I can only begin to picture what she would be like if it was cold as well as wet.

It’s not just cats who like their comforts: we also have to almost drag Yannie out of the air conditioning into the outside heat for a wee walk [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Snow!

Keir (eight months old) couldn’t wait to get out in it!

What fun!
[Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
Boogie, looking at all that lovely white had me imagining my dog being confronted by snow. Given that she turns tail if it is raining I can only begin to picture what she would be like if it was cold as well as wet.

My dog has spent her whole life here in central Arizona. We rarely see rain (though we’re expecting some this week and/or next), and she doesn’t like it. I’ve tried to tell her about snow, but she looks at me as if I must be out of my mind.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

She has no faith, but you don't need faith, you know!

What is this intrusive Hokey-Cokey which I'm not supposed to dance with my replacement hips. Is the Ship offering medical advice now?

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Spikey sent us a home made valentine card today (OK, she might have had some help ...)

“I slow blink you so much!”

Awww...

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:

Keir likes to eat the snow.

(There’s a saying round here “don’t eat yellow snow” [Razz]

The snow has now been replaced by thick frost, the dogs love hoolying in that too.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Spikey sent us a home made valentine card today (OK, she might have had some help ...)

“I slow blink you so much!”

Awww...

How very heartfelt and romantic!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Well, Spikey has cystitis (that’s not easy to say!)

This is good news in that it’s treatable. She had an antibiotic injection last week which seems to be helping. I’m sure the renal food and supplement are benefitting her too.

Also, it cost a lot less than we feared - hooray!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww, Gill. [Frown] Poor Spikey.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

She’s getting better, actually. And at least we know what it is.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Oh, that's a relief, Gill.

Beatrice is still intimidating Aida, blocking her (by parking herself at the foot of the stairs; Aida doesn't like going by her) from getting to food and boxes. I've had to set up a box and feeder in my bathtub - not something I wanted to do.

Do any of you cat people have a better idea for how to deal with this?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Feliway may help, if it's available to you.
The other thought is positive reinforcement. Is there a treat that Main Cat likes? Start doling them out, but only in the presence of New Cat. It doesn't take very long for MC to realize that Good Things Happen in the presence of NC.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

We just watched an episode of My Cat From Hell with a similar situation. One solution was to provide cat trees / shelves so there was an escape route.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Thanks, Brenda. I have both Feliway diffusers in various rooms and the spray.

Dreamies (especially sent from the U.K. from my dear friend and Shipmate Margaret) are now dispensed only in the presence of both cats.

I've been cleaning (and spraying) my nice leather chair from Aida's earlier depredations, and she's been circling around it in a Suspicious Manner. I love my cats, but this is really stressful.

Gill, that's a good idea, but it doesn't work with the (narrow) stairs.

[ 23. February 2018, 18:25: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016