homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » All new job search support thread (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: All new job search support thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is probably very true. Meanwhile, young people here aren't going to be paying off £27000 of tuition fee debts an time soon at that rate.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised - my salary peaked in 2009, I lost my job in 2010 and again in 2015, and I'm still nowhere near where I was in 2009 - and now I have a mortgage to pay as well.

Nice to know that people are getting rewarded for training and expertise.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Applied for a job! Don't think I'll get it, but if I do it will be a major life renovation since it is not around here.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, Brenda [Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the suggestion of a friend who works there, went in and prinked and fluffed up the application yet more. I have now done my best, and am going to put it entirely out of my mind in the interests of mental stability. However, all good wishes appreciated.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fingers and toes crossed Brenda [Votive]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best of luck BC! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2/3 "NOs" out of my recent round of applications, the third delayed the closing date so I won't hear for a while, but don't expect too much.

There is a possibility looming though so all is not yet lost.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How are the job searches proceeding?
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a couple of applications in, one as a receptionist at a car dealership; the other, if I've understood the advert correctly, would be doing pretty much exactly what I did in Belfast for 15 years, and would suit me down to the ground.

I'm still not holding out a whole lot of hope - although neither of them specified a degree as an essential requirement, I should imagine that so many of the other applicants will have one that my application will become quite invisible.

[Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well, I didn't get the one at the university, for which I thought I was so well-suited. [Frown]

At least I was told I didn't get it - the application was via Career Beacon, who actually let you know. As I've ranted here before, I can't understand the modern habit of only informing the applicants who are to be interviewed - how hard can it be to click on a few names and hit "send"?

[Mad]

The e-mail said that the job had gone to an internal applicant. I'm off to the web-site to see if his/her old job is now up for grabs.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I didn't get the one I applied for either. I am certain it went to someone internal.

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all and good luck with the job searching. Has anyone had career counseling before? I want some advice on changing career tack and the type of study I might need to do and perhaps feasibility of getting work in certain areas,especially if I decide to do something really different from my current teaching and childcare work. I have a few ideas of what I might like to do but am indecisive and anxious.

I get highly anxious about applying for jobs and change in general and am not good at selling myself (even to myself sometimes!). On top of that I have had a pretty tough couple of years with work related stress, deaths of friends and family, family and friend illnesses, dealing with verbally and emotionally abusive people in my church, and witnessing quite a few bad things - children seriously injured falling off play equipment, hit by a truck etc. I have had some general counseling to help with my anxiety, but thought some specific career advice would be good.

However, career counseling is pretty expensive, even at the cheaper end and the higher end is really expensive - one provider I looked into charged $800 (Aus) for two sessions! And some people online complain that they have been ripped off and charged large amounts of money for little help finding a job or getting good advice. Has anyone found career counseling helpful or have any tips on choosing a good careers counselor?

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Mili! [Votive]

I'm not sure if they do "outsiders", but have you thought of contacting a nearby TAFE or university and seeing what they charge for non-students [unless you are one]? May be cheaper than private to see how you find it.

--

[Votive] for all seeking.

6 weeks til my contract ends and only verbal assurances [which I do take with some acceptance; but paper confirmation would be nice] my contract will be renewed. I know I'm lucky to be in a job, but this is a tad late to leave it, esp. for someone anxious like me.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have a friend who is getting career coaching. (Not sure how this is different from career counseling, but it may be a US or even a NYC term.) She claims to be deriving great benefit from it. But OTOH she is not yet employed.

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the feedback. From my brief research on services in Australia I think Careers Counselors provide coaching as one of their services. They can help people with resumes, cover letters, interview techniques etc to apply for jobs, but also help people looking to change careers or get back into the workplace after taking time off due to child rearing, illness etc. Currently I just want advice on what career change/tweak might work for me and what my study options are.

Unfortunately I don't think I can access university or TAFE services as I am not a student, but I have found some counselors who work from home and don't charge through the roof. I can always try one session and not go back if it's not useful, I guess. Some of the more expensive places you have to buy a package of 6 or 12 sessions, which I guess might work for someone from the corporate world who has the money to spend on it.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mili

Have you thought of working through What Colour is My Parachute as a way to explore this without a careers coach.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I delivered my CV today to the local branch of a chain of opticians, for a part-time receptionist's job. The girl who took it was very friendly, asking me what hours would suit me and so on (the hours they were offering would have suited perfectly).

We'll see ... (pun completely intended [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

Thanks for the suggestion Jengie. It sounds like a great book and I like that it is by a Christian author (who passed away last year, so not sure how that will affect further editions) who recognises the need for mission and purpose in life as well as meeting our physical needs. I have ordered a copy of the latest edition online.

Good luck Piglet. I really noticed how receptionists make a difference the last couple of years at my optometrists. I'm not sure what is going on there, but sometimes lately the service is really poor and once when I was waiting for an appointment a staff member was horribly berating one of the admin staff for poor performance in front of me and other customers. I'm sure you would be an asset if you get the job.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mili:
...once when I was waiting for an appointment a staff member was horribly berating one of the admin staff for poor performance in front of me and other customers.

If I didn't know better I would think you went to an optometrist in Phoenix. A number of years ago I needed my glasses repaired so I went to a place in the same shopping center where I worked (part of a national chain). The manager was "horribly berating" one of her employees right in the shop in front of customers, and I was appalled. I never went back there even though it was so convenient.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Crikey - all that berating is almost putting me off! [Eek!]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have work, from tomorrow, having done not a lot to apply for anything. I wandered some cables, electrical and educational goodies to a charitable alternative education centre where I used to work a few years ago, to be asked a few days later if I was available as cover. So I have two to three days a week for 4-7 weeks, plus maybe other cover, 5 minutes walk away, which while I have a pretty sick kid at home is good news.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Wonderful news, Curiosity killed ...!

Hope sick child is better soon.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've applied for another job, as part-time secretary at the parish church along the road from the Cathedral.

It had been on the Indeed web-site for a wee while, but I'd held off applying as I wasn't sure if they'd want someone so obviously attached to a church other than their own. However, one of the Archdeacons, who's attached to the Cathedral and sings in the choir, sent an e-mail today saying the job was still being advertised and suggesting I should go for it.

D. thought so too, and it looks as if it would suit me rather well, so I've sent in the online letter and CV.

As it's a church job, perhaps my advancing years (I'm nearly 56) won't go against me. [Big Grin]

Fingers crossed (again) ...

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
It had been on the Indeed web-site for a wee while, but I'd held off applying as I wasn't sure if they'd want someone so obviously attached to a church other than their own.

Many churches prefer having a non-parishioner for such jobs, but preferably someone of the same denomination.

Good luck!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, Piglet!

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck Piglet. Having worked for a church as a parishioner, I wouldn't recommend it: I used to have to write notes after the Peace as so many people told me things that needed doing.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Maybe being a fellow-Anglican, but not actually attached to their congregation, would be an asset. We'll see. **crosses trotters**

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst I'm not paid to do admin for our church, I do a lot of it voluntarily, (makes my job as organist easier, I maintain).

I regularly have to remind people that I am actually paid to be the organist, and anything admin related waits until the notices, or if you must tell me earlier write it down so I can add the note to my admin box.

I am a good boundary maintainer which is not easy in our small church!

Anyway, what I think is that a neutral person for administration, who is not a parishioner, is a massive advantage. Good luck!!

[ 01. February 2018, 05:11: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck with the application, Piglet. I would have thought being an Anglican, but not in their congregation, would be seen as an advantage.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I hope so. I did similar work as a volunteer for most of the time we were in St. John's, so at least I've got appropriate experience.

I got an e-mail today saying I hadn't got another job I applied for a few weeks ago at one of the local universities, but as I'd applied for similar jobs before, I wasn't really expecting anything. At least they let me know (it was via Career Beacon, and the e-mail came from them).

Do any of you have experience with job web-sites like Indeed? The church job was through them, and I applied on-line with my CV and a covering letter.

I got an automatic reply from Indeed.ca, but can I be sure that they'll send it on to the employer? Would it be bad form to contact the employer directly to find out if they received it?

I only ask because of the ridiculous modern habit of only contacting the people they want to interview, which means that you can wait and wait and you don't know that you've already been rejected.

I've probably ranted about this before, but it really is a bugbear of mine. Before the days of word-processors, mail-merge and e-mail, all the applicants were informed by letter whether they'd been successful or not. Now, all it takes is a couple of clicks of a mouse, but employers can't be bothered.

[Mad]

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, Piglet. I have known the incumbent since her spouse was a curate at this church in the mid-eighties. I would contact the church directly.

[ 02. February 2018, 13:32: Message edited by: Caissa ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Caissa (and everyone else!). We know the organist (natch), and as it might look a bit obvious if D. made contact, a friend from our choir who has connections at the church has offered to drop her an e-mail just to say that I've applied and put in a good word.

What's the point of having connections if you don't use them? [Biased]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Looks like I haven't got it. We had an e-mail from our friend saying that she'd put out feelers and the church were going to announce the appointment tomorrow, so it's safe to assume it isn't me.

I'm really pissed off - mostly at myself for not applying sooner - as I think it would have been a really good chance for me.

Oh well, back to the drawing board again. [Frown]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear that Piglet. Apart from not telling you if they've received your application, modern practice seems to not have closing dates, they just welcome applications till they find someone suitable. Add agencies keeping jobs on their books, even when the vacancy has been filled, and modern job hunting is tough.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

According to my friend (who knows about that sort of thing) the law actually insists that job adverts have closing dates, but I don't recall that one having one, and it was still on the Indeed web-site (I've just checked, and it's still there today) - although that may have been because the church hadn't told them they'd found someone.

She also said that her source thought it was a "political" appointment*. What exactly she meant I'm no sure, but she thought they might regret it, so I suppose if it all goes pear-shaped for them they might be looking again ... [Paranoid]

* In a church? No - I don't understand either.

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being seriously cynical, is a church appointment anything but?
Also royally annoyed - applied for job with diocese for which I thought myself ideally suited (blowing her own trumpet here)and didn't even get a first interview. Probably down to age, even though I can't afford to retire.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Fredegund:
Also royally annoyed - applied for job with diocese for which I thought myself ideally suited (blowing her own trumpet here)and didn't even get a first interview. Probably down to age, even though I can't afford to retire.

This happened to me twice (same diocese), but the rejections were due to nepotism.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I have an interview for a different job on Thursday (when we're forecast to get more sn*w).

It's a part-time job in the office of a seniors' complex about 5 minutes' drive from our house (which would be handy).

It's such a while since I applied for it (before Christmas I think), I can't remember what the job description and duties were!

Oh well, nothing venture, nothing win!

[Eek!]

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, all jobs are political, in the broad sense. Often a job posting is a "tombstone", i.e., the position has (or will be) filled from within and the posting exists only to fulfil the legal obligation. Best of luck.

I have given up on the freelancing. Thrown in te towel. Struck my colours. It was fine when I had a nest egg and didn't rely on the freelance income 100%. Since that nest egg went into an omelette, I'm now on the search for a full time gig. I'm not being too picky, either. Copy writer, translator, wine import clerk, NGO communications, archivist, talent agency, llama wrangler (well, not that one... yet). Just, oh, God, preserve me from a return to finance.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hmmm ... wine import clerk. Sounds like my sort of job! [Snigger]

I know what you mean about all jobs being "political" in the wider sense - there will always be someone who Has The Right Connections. Maybe if I'd applied for the church job sooner than I did, such connections as I have might have got me somewhere, but if (for example) the job went to someone from The Prominent Church Family™* there wouldn't be much anyone could do.

Anyhow, we'll see how I fare tomorrow, assuming that I can actually get there - we're being snowed on at the moment, and they're expecting up to a foot of the stuff before it stops, so getting anywhere is going to be less than fun in the morning.

* I'm assuming they have one; most churches do.

[ 07. February 2018, 23:53: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am mildly astonished that my son, a typical easygoing younger brother in contrast to his fireball older sister, has taken the bit between his teeth. In the past few weeks he has 1) applied for an Army Reserve deployment to Guantanamo Bay, 2) begun gunning for a promotion in his regular job, and 3) made a Plan B to work for the FBI if this promotion does not come through.
I have never been your helicopter mom -- my powerhouse daughter would never have permitted it -- and have simply sat back, making encouraging supportive squeaks, while my son has maundered about in dead-end positions. It is my hope and prayer that one or the other of these possibilities pans out, giving him positive reinforcement of these good tendencies in addition of course to a better job. (No fundamental change has occurred in his character really; he tells me that the coolest thing about contracting with the FBI is that you get an email address that ends "fbi.gov", and that these emails always get a prompt reply...)

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Were you able to make it to your interview, Piglet? How were the streets up the river?
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was, thanks Caissa; D. cleared a bit of the path and driveway late the night before (when it was still snowing) and by the morning it was just a matter of pushing some fairly light, fluffy snow out of the way to get the car out. The roads had been ploughed and treated by the time we were going out, so getting there was fine.

I think the interview went OK (it's always hard to tell). The problem is the hours that were being offered: every second weekend, 8:30 - 4:30, Saturday and Sunday. Not ideal for someone who sings in a cathedral choir. Just my luck that the first sniff of a chance at work I get would be on the one day in the week I'd really rather not have to.

Oh well - they haven't let me know yet (although she said they would); maybe the decision will be taken out of my hands.

I'd take it even with the rotten hours - I couldn't afford not to - but it would be a pain.

[ 09. February 2018, 22:59: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's hoping something with more suitable hours comes up before you are offered it Piglet.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen. [Votive]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was made redundant in January this year. It was quite a relief because after over two years in the job, I had never quite worked what I was expected to do. I seemed to get praise for doing great work and then rubbished for the same work next day. I don't mind bad management at least it is consistent. Looking back at it, this was probably because whilst we were busy there was little cash flow and so he was worrying about that.
Anyway I am now self employed and working for a previous very good employer from home and enjoying my job doing what I am good at.
In the meantime I would like a full time job or maybe at least some work with some commuting time because I miss listening to Radio 4 on the way to work.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I put six applications in today, bringing the total to 26(?). There seems to be a sudden flow of things for which I'm at least passably qualified. One of them is, of all things, a parish administrator. (Small parish, so it might be only me and the sexton.)

Monday evening I was looking at the website for a church that's in a neighbourhood I might be moving to. Oh, the priest there, whom I know, is no longer there. Wondering where he had moved to, I googled him. I found where he went, as an assistant, but I didn't recognise the name, so googled his new shack. Low and behold, the home page had a link to the job posting. I emailed him, and he had nothing but good things to say about the place. Application is in, and another priest is very positive about my chances. So, crazy accident? No such thing as accidents? Dumb luck? Anyway, it would be less money than other things for which I applied, but also less pressure, and potentially more fun. Here's hoping.

[ 22. February 2018, 05:18: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

My friend would call it a Godincidence.

[Votive] for all seeking, or so with family seeking, work.

Ian,
who wouldn't mind a .fbi.gov address!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016