homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » the non-Christian religions perverse thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: the non-Christian religions perverse thread
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
We've been down this road too many times before as well. This thread is not about Steve Langton's theology but the perversity, or otherwise, of other faiths. To avoid yet another derailing, please feel free to take that tangent to Hell if you find it sufficiently annoying. But please drop it here. There have been previous Host and Admin actions to prevent such derailing.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

I agree this is not mainly about my theology; I made what I think a reasonable point that Christians thinking other religions 'perverse' is a different matter depending on whether the Christians in question are operating a 'Christian state' which might actively persecute those of other faiths rather than merely disagree with them. That thought did seem to be in line with things in Lutheranchik's OP.

Otherwise I've simply been arguing that pagan religions are from a Christian viewpoint 'perverse' - not simply wrong but a product of human sinfulness. And I've also been trying to clarify to mr cheesy that because of the interdependence of Christianity and Judaism, with the one as development of the other, any 'perversity' is not in Judaism per se, but in the continuing of Judaism as a separate religion in opposition to the Messiah.

In response mr cheesy seems determined to exaggerate what I'm saying; and Croesos has become the latest person to make the ludicrous charge that I think I'm " the true prophet of the one true faith" - which as I say is probably easier than actually discussing my points. They and lil Buddha seem to be the ones 'derailing' the thread in their desire to attack me. If they attack I'm liable to defend....

I'm pretty sure that Hosts, Admin and Lutheranchik can't find any real problem with my basic point on the thread that the consequences of thinking other religions 'perverse' may depend on whether, like Luther, you do the Christian state thing, or whether you do the biblical thing and therefore don't persecute.

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A couple of thoughts, speaking unofficially:

1. B62's host post didn't name you as an offender, but taking your case here makes it look like you have a guilty conscience...

2. You might attract fewer attacks if you refrained from describing your view, in the context of Purgatory, as "biblically right" and everyone else's as "wrong".

3. You are as entitled as anyone else to the benefits of Hell, but trying to pursue the argument (as opposed to disputing a Host ruling) here in the Styx is not likely to do your cause any good.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
I agree this is not mainly about my theology.

Excellent. The thread is not about your theology, nor should it move that way. Sounds like you agree with that.

So what, if anything, is your problem with my Host post? As opposed to some Shipmates' responses?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not really feeling a guilty conscience; as I said I made an essentially relevant response to things implied by the OP and some subsequent discussion. Then found myself being questionably attacked, not to mention illogically by some people who didn't seem to realise that Anabaptists have different approaches to some Christians. Like I too would oppose pogroms and similar for instance.

Thought Styx was the place to respond to/discuss hostly rulings as well as just dispute them.

by Eutychus;
quote:
You might attract fewer attacks if you refrained from describing your view, in the context of Purgatory, as "biblically right" and everyone else's as "wrong".
Anyone thinks I'm biblically wrong, just produce the evidence to prove it. Hasn't happened often yet.... People have preferred to avoid the actual issues and personally attack me instead.

In one case this got almost amusing - one Shipmate first produced a vehement insistence that there were 'other interpretations' of some of Jesus' words beside mine; I can only comment that I'm still waiting to hear what those 'other interpretations' are and on what evidence they would be based.

What emerged instead was a claim, from someone vehemently insistent that they are a Christian, that actually 'Jesus was mistaken'. Which would seem to amount to an admission that I was in fact biblically correct; and would also appear to be a very real case of someone claiming, unlike me, to know better than Jesus....

Prefer to avoid Hell. Sometimes think Hosts don't pay enough attention to pretty much 'Hellish' attacks on me in Purg.

Since apparently you didn't think I'd done anything wrong in that thread, I'll get back to it.

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leeeeeet Iiiiiiit Gooooooo.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:

Since apparently you didn't think I'd done anything wrong in that thread, I'll get back to it.

Not yet. But if you post in such a way as to continue the tangent, my opinion will change. Don't get side-tracked into self-defence of your theology. Stick to the thread theme.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016