homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Mugs

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Mugs
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The handle of my much-loved Ship Of Fools mug, bought many years ago at the CRE, has just dropped off, and I went to buy a new one (I still have my ITTWACW one, but I can’t bear to lose my Ship one). It worked until I got to the payment page when I got a 404 error.
Is it just a broken link, or are the mugs no more?
[Help]

[ 27. January 2018, 21:35: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The mugs still exist, and are still for sale. I suspect an error.

If I can reorganise to come to the Absent Friends Meet, I'll bring some along.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just tried, and it's the credit card payment page that doesn't work - the PayPal payment link opens the PayPal page, so that one appears to be ok, as far as I can see. Perhaps use that method?

Hope this helps. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tried to buy a set too (about six months ago) and I don't think anything came of it. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll pm you, Lamb Chopped

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I've just tried, and it's the credit card payment page that doesn't work - the PayPal payment link opens the PayPal page, so that one appears to be ok, as far as I can see. Perhaps use that method?

Hope this helps. [Smile]

I tried both, neither worked.

If you can bring some to the Absent Friends meet, that’d be awesome, thanks Curiosity Killed...

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Wait, no, I take it all back... I tried it again just now, and it worked! A new mug is going to appear all by itself (this was the PayPal link). It seems to be working today. Hooray!

Sorry.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Well, Simon have an email notification of the order, forward it to me, I'll parcel it up and post it to you. (As all this normally happens in real names I don't usually know if a Shipmate is ordering or if I get that far, which Shipmate.)

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Silly question here - I haven't got much experience with microwave ovens: are 'our' mugs microwave-proof?

Thanks.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I quite regularly put my ITTWACW mug in the microwave, and haven't had any obvious problems.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Just as I thought. ITTWACW not being mugged by waves of any size, but standing firm and the test of time. Thanks, Alan!

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have however seen a mug where the lettering had become somewhat faded by repeated dishwasher use.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a note to say that we've discontinued our account with WorldPay, who used to handle our credit card payments. So this morning I've removed that option from the mugs payment page. This means that everything now goes through PayPal, although you can still pay by credit card via the PayPal site. Sorry for any confusion.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My ITTWACW mug is very faded due to dishwasher use. Or just repeated washing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Hellmug stays suspiciously bright and shiny on the inside. I suspect that souls are mildly corrosive - or, at least the ones I sip from here are.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mug is still bright and shiny. But, I wash it in the sink by hand rather than use a dish washer - saving both my mug from harsh dishwashing in a machine, and cutting (or, not adding to since in this case it's about not buying a dishwasher rather than stopping using one) my carbon footprint (is there an "I'm virtuous and smug about it" smiley?).

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
<snip>cutting (or, not adding to since in this case it's about not buying a dishwasher rather than stopping using one) my carbon footprint<snip>

Maybe
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
<snip>cutting (or, not adding to since in this case it's about not buying a dishwasher rather than stopping using one) my carbon footprint<snip>

Maybe
Yeah, we've had that discussion here before. Most sites doing the comparison seem to be US so give water use as about 4 gallons; assuming I'm not too far off converting that to proper units I use about half that to wash 2-3 days worth of dishes, and a fraction of the detergent present in the dishwasher tabs I've seen. I conclude that a lot of handwashers are profligate in water and detergent usage, which seriously skews the stats.

[which is before we add in the environmental costs of manufacturing, transport and disposal of a dishwasher]

[ 07. February 2018, 17:34: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
assuming I'm not too far off converting that to proper units I use about half that to wash 2-3 days worth of dishes,

You can wash two or three days of dishes in two US gallons of water? If you have a sink/bowl which is just big enough to hold a dinner plate, a US gallon is a bit more than an inch and a half of water in the bottom. SO two gallons a bit over 3 inches.

I could probably wash up a light meal in that, but 2-3 days, including pots and pans? I don't think I'd stand a chance.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

My sink is approx. 30x40cm, and normally I end with about 8-10cm of water in there when I finish. About 10-12 litre, which having found an online converter is 2.5-3.0 US gallon. Which is a bit more than the 2.0-2.5 I had thought it was (mainly because my sink is a bit bigger than I thought). Perhaps last time we had this conversation I was at a previous address with a smaller sink.

If I've boiled the kettle for tea I'll often use any water left to rinse out any pots and pans I may have around, rather than waste that hot water. Though, no reason you couldn't do that before putting pans in a dishwasher, so not all that relevant.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I love the Ship. Such considered discussion of washing up water usage.

In other ‘news’, neither my ITTWACW mug nor my Ship Of Fools mug faded at all over the years (and I’ve had them since h first wave of muggery back in whenever it was). The handle dropped off the Ship one, hence my urgent need for replacement as without it I am bereft and my tea is not as good (although I am thinking I could superglue the handle back on. What’s a good glue brand that’s not water-soluble?).

Then I’d have three mugs. I could try to grow two more heads to match, but then I’d need three hands. Life is complicated.
Am I overtired?

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Generally glue manufacturers tend to recommend their products are not used for containers of hot liquids - even epoxy adhesives and superglues.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've superglued broken plates which survived the dishwasher afterwards, though if the glue gradually flaked off/deteriorated, regluing might eventually become necessary.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Both Lamb Chopped's and luvanddaisies' orders went into the post today.

Apparently there was a glitch, now sorted.

eta apostrophe

[ 08. February 2018, 17:10: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh! Oooh! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Both Lamb Chopped's and luvanddaisies' orders went into the post today.

Apparently there was a glitch, now sorted.

eta apostrophe

Thank you very very much. [Overused]

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I got my nice shiny new mug this morning. Thank you [Yipee]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have about fifteen mugs in my home. And there is just one of me. However, I have given in to my long time desire to have a Ship mug. Therefore, I have ordered three of them. [Hot and Hormonal]

Guess I'll have to decide which mugs go to the thrift store, now!!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Am rapidly succumbing to the urge...

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just ordered a nice, shiny, Mystery Worshipper mug (shiny mug, that is, not the Mystery Worshipper).

PayPal worked just fine. Recommended (I use it on eBay quite a lot, may I be forgiven).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

yay! I've got my mugs!

They are going to sit in pride of place down at my desk at [major Christian broadcaster].

Thanks much!

--------------------

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016