homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Joseph calls for Jesus

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Joseph calls for Jesus
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by HoleyHands:

Jesus Christ scurried into the carpenter's shop and asked, "Father, did you call me?"

Joseph replied, "No. I just hit my thumb with a hammer."

[ 16. July 2005, 18:14: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 69 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Shipmate
# 2547

- Posted      Profile for Sprocket   Email Sprocket   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't find this funny, neither do I find it particularly offensive. Perhaps this is because there is so much swearing these days (or I am more exposed to it).

Does make me question though in my own mind as to when people started to swear using Christ's name.

--------------------
In touch with my inner geek

Posts: 513 | From: close to the great glen | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found it neither offensive nor funny. It is just trite, IMO, as I would say generally applies to jokes in which people are swearing by Jesus' name during his lifetime (and there seem to be thousands of those.)

Of course, unless Jesus and Joseph spoke Greek, I suppose all that Joseph would have said would be Jeshua...

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This joke is so lame even Jesus couldn't give it legs.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

- Posted      Profile for J. J. Ramsey   Author's homepage   Email J. J. Ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was funny, partly because of the anachronism. Who would use "Jesus Christ" as an epithet before the church became entrenched? It's sort of like when in Stan Freberg's United States of America, Ben Franklin says that they had better sign the Declaration of Independence before the Fourth of July weekend.

--------------------
I am a rationalist. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually make me rational.

Posts: 1490 | From: Tallmadge, OH | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016